As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero 3. GH Aerosmith to be the stupidest thing you buy this year.

• GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JoahW wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    Thank goodness the boss battle packs are free. I'm definitely checking it out -- I love the Devil Went Down to Georgia. I wonder if they left Lou's part intact.

EDIT: I also haven't done so in a few days, so I just accepted everyone who's submitted to join Wang Camaro ... fun fact: Out of our 180+ members, only three people have 5-starred Raining Blood on Expert! I know because I'm 4th place and I'm just barely underneath the 5-star score. :x

180 members?

Sweet.

Watch the scoreboards. I'm gettin' up there!

You're goin' down, Lunker!

also, who is Pulsar, and JoahW? Those guys are good.
    hi. :lol:

What do you eat man? I've been playing for 2 years but I still suck :(

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    What the fuck, Activision?

Why release the fucking Boss Battles and have the player play the Boss parts? Parts that are designed to be played by a computer and not the parts designed to be played by a human. Goddamnit.

I didn't think they could fuck this up, but they went and did it.

Fucking idiots.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited November 2007
    Legacy, I disagree. I enjoyed played the boss parts of the song. In guitar hero I always want to play the lead.

Honestly, would the song be challenging at all if it were just the players half of the parts? Isn't that what this game is about (after the initial wow factor of it)?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Legacy, I disagree. I enjoyed played the boss parts of the song. In guitar hero I always want to play the lead.

Honestly, would the song be challenging at all if it were just the players half of the parts? Isn't that what this game is about (after the initial wow factor of it)?

No, but the song would be fun.

Or they could adjust the note chart to something that was meant to be played by a person and not a computer.

Legacy on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The endings of the boss battles are pretty horrible, still. The instruments all stop, except the guitars continue to make weird, non-musical noises.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited November 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

No, but the song would be fun.

Or they could adjust the note chart to something that was meant to be played by a person and not a computer.

Eh, I would say that for some of the other note charts in the game (the slipknot song especially) but not this song. Every note is believable for what the guitar is playing.

The thing with this downloadable content is that it seems each song is just meant to challenge the user more, assuming the user has already mastered the game and is looking for more of a challenge. While I do disagree with this overall view of "make every DLC song hard as fuck" this is the LAST SONG IN THE GAME, and therefore should be pretty fucking hard.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't mind the solos so much in DWDtG, it's the long ass single note streams that come so fast, that Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo Batio would have trouble keeping up with them that piss me off to no end.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited November 2007
    I don't mind the solos so much in DWDtG, it's the long ass single note streams that come so fast, that Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo Batio would have trouble keeping up with them that piss me off to no end.

What difficulty are you playing on? The single note streams are when I can relax.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • NinjaGnatNinjaGnat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, on expert the notes are still touching each other even on hyperspeed 4. Its obscene.

NinjaGnat on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

What difficulty are you playing on? The single note streams are when I can relax.

Expert. I've tried using a wrist motion, a forearm motion, and just pistioning my entire arm from the shoulder down. I just can't pick fast enough to keep up with the single note streams from Lou's part.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited November 2007
    Really? I'll admit I just downloaded them now while drunk and only played on hard and I'm stuck on the last tier of expert... but ive never had trouble picking single notes. Maybe it's because I play metal on real guitar so speed picking isn't a big deal to me but I want to try this on expert. Funny because on hard the single note streams go exactly with what the guitar part is playing...

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007

Expert. I've tried using a wrist motion, a forearm motion, and just pistioning my entire arm from the shoulder down. I just can't pick fast enough to keep up with the single note streams from Lou's part.
    Its possible you're actually just overcompensating and strumming too fast.

Can you pass "The Way it Ends"?

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

Are you alt picking? I mean, if you're strumming up and down, it shouldn't really be that difficult. You just do it as fast as you can. Grab on to the strum bar and use your wrist to yank it back and forth. That's what she said. Those are supposed to be the easy parts.

Monoxide on
    edited November 2007

I suppose it is possible, but I don't know. Even with hyperspeed 3 (the one I tend to use, if I have it on) the notes are still touching each other.

As for The Way It Ends, I haven't actually played that one yet. I still need to go through a few of the bonus tracks on Expert.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited November 2007

I suppose it is possible, but I don't know. Even with hyperspeed 3 (the one I tend to use, if I have it on) the notes are still touching each other.

As for The Way It Ends, I haven't actually played that one yet. I still need to go through a few of the bonus tracks on Expert.

Oh, The Way It Ends is fun. It's practically Misirlou Speed, but has weird strumming patterns and chords thrown in the middle for shits and giggles.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some of these songs. Are ridiculously competitive between you guys. Shit.

slash000 on
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Are you alt picking? I mean, if you're strumming up and down, it shouldn't really be that difficult. You just do it as fast as you can. Grab on to the strum bar and use your wrist to yank it back and forth. That's what she said. Those are supposed to be the easy parts.

I'm alt-picking, but it's still very fucking fast.

Have you even tried it yet?

Legacy on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What Legacy said. Monoxide, it really sounds like you haven't tried the song yet. It just seems impossibly fast, I'm pumping my arm as fast as possible and still failing at 4%.

UnbreakableVow on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Amazingly though, playing on Hyperspeed 4 on Medium for TDWDTG is amazing. That song's Medium is like most other songs' Expert.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So wait, I got lost. Are you guys talking about the fast computer parts during DWDtG, or are you talking about The Way it Ends? I haven't played the latter, but the quick parts in DWTFDtG are a little bit quicker than Misirlou, so the same type of strategy works.

My recommendation for those of you that might not know what I'm talking about (I apologize if you already do) is this: If you are tightening up to alt-strum those parts as fast as you can, you shouldn't be. I couldn't even pass Misirlou from GH2 without loosening up my wrist. It took a lot of practice to be able to do it.

Ballman on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am the king of the world! Fuck you in your fucking ass, Mosh 1:

lunkerrb1dq6.jpg
    lunkerrb2uk6.jpg

And yet, strike one enemy down and another rises to take his place:

ttfaflunkerme0.jpg

I was ready to murder someone. Learning how to double-hand tap the opening section of TTFAF actually isn't that hard: the problem is getting started. I either 100-percent the entire section or fail out instantly.

I'm spending my day off from work screaming bloody murder at the TV!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited November 2007
    What Legacy said. Monoxide, it really sounds like you haven't tried the song yet. It just seems impossibly fast, I'm pumping my arm as fast as possible and still failing at 4%.

In DWDTG? Of course I've tried it. That is not the hardest part.

fake edit: I just played it, 32%, on expert. I'm not keeping up a multiplier or streak during the beginning fast strum, but it's not bad enough to fail.

Monoxide on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Game fails for lack of Eddie Knox.

Evander on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I try to pretend that nothing but the fretboard exists.

glithert on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you guys are having trouble with that part of the Lou battle it's entirely likely you're strumming too fast... cause it's not really very fast.

midgetspy on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    midgetspy wrote: »
    If you guys are having trouble with that part of the Lou battle it's entirely likely you're strumming too fast... cause it's not really very fast.

They're not talking about the Lou battle, they're talking about the downloadable boss songs, wherein you play Lou's part. Lou's part is very fast.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited November 2007
    I am no longer a boy ... I am a man.

ttfaflunker002wn8.jpg

This song was infinitely more enjoyable to battle through than Jordan. I don't even want to go back and try Jordan, but TTFAF is a great snack of cheese power metal.

I need to go soak my arms in ice now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

They're not talking about the Lou battle, they're talking about the downloadable boss songs, wherein you play Lou's part. Lou's part is very fast.

Ah, yes that part is very quick. I didn't realize the downloadable song was Lou's part... cool.

midgetspy on
    edited November 2007

Ah, yes that part is very quick. I didn't realize the downloadable song was Lou's part... cool.

It's both. It's the whole song, and it's hard as hell. I'll never pass it just because of the alternating runs in both of the solos, I always miss a note. Once you miss one it's hard to get your timing back.

Monoxide on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am no longer a boy ... I am a man.
    ttfaflunker002wn8.jpg

This song was infinitely more enjoyable to battle through than Jordan. I don't even want to go back and try Jordan, but TTFAF is a great snack of cheese power metal.

I need to go soak my arms in ice now.

You da man!

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't think I am going to try to improve at guitar hero anymore, im' pretty happy with not being able to beat the last tier on expert

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    I don't think I am going to try to improve at guitar hero anymore, im' pretty happy with not being able to beat the last tier on expert

Seriously. I'm tired of woodshedding my plastic guitar skills, and am focusing on just being able to play and perform songs on Hard really well.

Maybe eventually I'll work up to Expert, given enough time.

Strato on
  • TrivialTrivial Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone picked up the PC version yet? I hear the system requirements are pretty high, and some people are complaining of stuttering/choppiness. I was going to pick it up but my computer isn't top-end and I don't want to be stuck with a coaster.

Sorry if this has been brought up already but I'm in a rush and haven't had a chance to read the entire thread. = D

Trivial on
    - Triv
    edited November 2007
    I am the king of the world! Fuck you in your fucking ass, Mosh 1:
    lunkerrb1dq6.jpg
    lunkerrb2uk6.jpg

And yet, strike one enemy down and another rises to take his place:

ttfaflunkerme0.jpg

I was ready to murder someone. Learning how to double-hand tap the opening section of TTFAF actually isn't that hard: the problem is getting started. I either 100-percent the entire section or fail out instantly.

I'm spending my day off from work screaming bloody murder at the TV!

This post is hilarious :lol:

First of all, holy fuck, congrats on Raining Blood. I doubt I'll ever be able to do that.

Secondly, haha, I wrote earlier in the last thread that there were 5 crucial points in TTFAF - 1-~8% (whatever, the intro), 73%, 78%, 83%, and 98%, and these would be the places that people fail the most.

You fell victim TTFAF's "SUPRISE ENDING!"

:lol:

sorry man, happened to me too.

But congrats on finally beating it!

slash000 on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Jesus H Christ, the devils solo part of 'Devil went down to Georgia' almost killed me on medium... my arm feels like its going to fall off.

LockeCole on
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    You fell victim TTFAF's "SUPRISE ENDING!"

:lol:

sorry man, happened to me too.

But congrats on finally beating it!

You're not kidding, man. :) I was all pumped because I knew I was so close to the end, and then the door slammed in my face at that crazy You Rock! section. There hasn't been a song that's done that to me since Bark at the Moon's big finish.

I ended up failing out around 90-91% a lot; I could barely claw my way past the Twin Solo, and then I would tap out right as the song kicked back into high gear. The only way I actually passed it was managing to nail the final Star Power section. I'm interested to go back and see where I can throw in SP more to bump up my score now that I can slightly move beyond "hold onto SP for dear life until I need it."

And thanks -- I was pumping my fist in the air and screaming out loud when I finished it. Infinitely more satisfying than beating Lou and possibly even better than finishing out Free Bird for the first time. :D

Lunker on
    edited November 2007
    Oh, man, it was way more satisfying than beating any other song in GH1, 2, or 3 up to that point (except Jordan, which I never beat).

The reason I've never failed at any point after twin solo except at 98% is because my strategy is to save star power for the parts up to and right before Twin Solo.. Getting past that stuff starting after Herman Solo 1 and right during/before Twin Solo without using SP is a bitch. Meh well.

I was literally yelling 'fuck yes' when I beat it.

slash000 on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good job for all youse guys who can beat TTFAF. I hope I can get there myself. I have high hopes because I can regularly pass the intro (and I dont have to tap it either!!!). My best so far is 49%, but I know I can push it way further if I get some of the more manageable star powers.

I hope to enter the golden land myself one day......

quovadis13 on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I finally beat TTFAF on Hard today, and it was awesome. Best Guitar Hero song to date.

Strato on
    edited November 2007
    arg. I haven't perfected all of my songs' scores yet though. My goal was to get in the top 5 leaderboards for every song in Wang Camaro, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen. I'm within the top 5 in the great majority of the songs, but I'm about to retire from perfecting my scores and just play online some or whatever. You guys are tough, so it takes me forever to get some of my scores in the top 5.

Plus, this/last week begins Mario Galaxy, Contra 4, Trauma Center 2, COD4 ds, REUC, Ghost squad, LInk's RB, and Geo Wars.

slash000 on