As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here's Your God Damn Wii Thread (Updated OP)

• PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Two thumbsticks is awful.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    PotU wrote: »

what

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    dual analogs are the only good thing about them, although the placement is retarded.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »

what

Dual shock.

Sorry.

All of them are thumbsticks, but I forgot.

I somehow thought you use the index finger for the X-Box/GC controller.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

what

Dual shock.

Sorry.

Maybe if you got some sort of deformed hand syndrome.

DarkPrimus on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The dualshock controller is fine

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The triggers on the six axis are the worst things ever

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Two thumbs in the butt is awful.

what

"What" indeed.

Iskander on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    By the way I just got the Screw Attack in MP3 and literally spent 15 minutes jumping in one spot, trying to get it to work until I realised that I had to be moving for it to work properly. I feel so dumb. :(

Iskander on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007

what

Dual shock.

Sorry.

have you never used an Xbox or GameCube controller?

Garlic Bread on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    I mean the game has it's problems; no matter how you approach the game those AI problems will still be there, but man I am loving the shit out of this game regardless.

OK, that's interesting.

I've been thinking for the last week or so "this is a game that maybe one should rent and not buy."

I tend to get a lot of use out of games, like, more than one hour of play per dollar. I'd be interested to see how long this game lasts...Because if it's ten hours or fifteen hours and has no replay value, that's a rental. If it's worth replaying, like, four times...that is a purchase.

It's a game I can really see myself coming back to, maybe because of the emphasis on "how" you approach a situation.

For example, my third assassination I handled very sloppily. I was spotted early, had a hard time dispatching the guards, and the actual assassination was very haphazard and poor. To punish me, the game totally fucked up my life. The game rewards you for performing professionally, and rapes you for bumbling around. Plus, the story and dialogue (also I am quite fond of the time period in which the simulation takes place) will keep it interesting, despite that fact that that I've heard it before. Since it's a very polarizing game I would probably recommend a rental before I'd advocate spending sixty dollars, though.

That is the kind of thing that I like to hear. I don't like "everybody gets a trophy day" in real life (real life tended not to do that very much past first grade anyway), and I honestly don't like it in video games unless it's a party game and makes the woman I'm with happier.

So I was going to rent this already, but this is now upgraded in my mind to "I must rent this ASAP."
    Lurker wrote: »
    I also realize I'm your favorite. You've made that very clear with the way you quote just about everyone of my posts whether they are antagonizing in anyway or not.

Whoa, whoa! You are ONE of my favorites! Let's not presume too much here! And the reason is that you frequently antagonize me, unprovoked, with a harshness that rivals my own.

Defender on
  • MusashiMusashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Musashi wrote: »
    The major point of the paper is that the Wii controller has few buttons therefore it is better.
    no it's not. read the article again.

his main argument is that current controls and game design promote complexity in games as a boon, and while that's great for a lot of hardcore gamers, it's not so great for people new to games or to a more general audience.

he brings up the design differences between the sixaxis/dualshock and the wiimote to demonstrate the differences in game design philosophies.

He literally spends half the article talking about controllers and how due to Street Fighter 2 controllers steadily became more complex. Though fine, if you want me to nitpick at a few more points in his article I will.
    Hand someone who’s never played video games a PS3 or 360 controller, and they’ll just stare at you. It might as well be the controls of a helicopter--good grief, it kind of looks like it should be the controls of a helicopter.

As if this statement isn't true for the nunchuck-remote combo as well? If I don't play video games, why does he assume that I would know what to do with the controller unless someone explained it to me. Why would Wii games need tutorials if you know what to do.
    It’s not drilling down--it’s spreading across. Disruptive technologies do that--they dramatically change markets. Nintendo shows games in their commercials, but they also always show people playing the games. How boring would it be to show someone playing a game with a 360 or PS3 controller? It would be stupefying. When you watch people moving around, though, and having fun, it’s very powerful.

Who the hell watches someone playing the game rather than the game itself? I mean, it would be akin to me saying that watching someone watch an action is not "fun" because they aren't moving.
    Some games on the Wii, though, are almost entirely outside the canon. For reviewers who are used to "getting through" a game, playing a Wii party game, for example, must drive them mad.

Some party games actually score well and not all games have endings. Actually, I'm willing to bet that most reviewers are willing to rate Tetris as one of the greatest games of all time without having an ending. Maybe reviewers are rating these games poorly, because of shoddy motion controls and the flood of party games on the console?

There is just some many points this guy gets wrong or misrepresents it is not even funny. His initial point was weak and he backed it up with incorrect data.

Musashi on
    edited November 2007
    Seriously wrote: »
    The Wiimote seems really good for FPSs.

Of course I am by no means an expert in video games from either a design or play stand point and I am basically basing it off Metroid Prime 3, but it's frustrating to switch from MP3 to Halo. Halo's not a bad game, but the aiming seems so much more awkward.

I dunno, maybe the Wii can't do it, people keep mentioning hardware issues, but my thought is that motion controllers would be a good idea for console FPSs in the future.

I'm pretty sure the Wiimote isn't the best thing for FPSes (mouse + kb), but it does seem better than dual-analog. The issue that I'd have would be with turning rate...the mouse provides an excellent combination of very fine-tuned aiming with very fast turning in a single device. The analog doesn't combine the fine/gross set as well, although I found that Gears of War seemed to do a better job than most. MP3 uses lock-on, doesn't it? That's cool sometimes, but I think that for competition, that's essentially a buff to the player's aiming ability (thus a nerf to the value of being good at aiming) and is a little bit too "client-side" for my taste. It could prove to be an advancement, though, but I think it needs more time to be explored more fully.

Defender on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You lock your camera on to stuff in mp3, not your targetting reticule.

Well no, you can set it so both lock on but that is for chumps.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It dosen't fucking matter if the sixaxis d-pad has seperate inputs or not, the functionality is the same as the Wiimote dpad, counting it as 4 times as many buttons is misrepresentation.

what?

have you played MGS2 or 3? that's a valid example. the control scheme is tight in those games, i'll definitely agree. but IN ADDITION TO directional inputs on the d-pad, you also have analog "pressure" inputs as well, which translate into different moves for Snake. that is by definition a "different" function than the normal directional pad and adds complexity which the guy is arguing is great for hardcore gamers but not always so great for the mainstream.

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with this argument.

If you play a game like, say, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, where the X button is used to make your character jump, the fact that it's an analog button DOES NOT MATTER. It doesn't add any complexity whatsoever because the player doesn't even need to know that it's an analog button. Kate played some Tekken 5 a little bit ago, and as far as she was concerned, there was a pause button, four face buttons, and a dpad. I didn't tell her that the triggers do anything, she doesn't like analog joysticks so she didn't touch them at all, and the end result is that those other buttons get ignored.

So what I'm saying is that the fact that you can push the analog sticks in and that counts as a button-press does NOT in any way add complication to Tekken 5, because the game doesn't use that feature. A new(ish) gamer who might get confused by 57 different buttons will not have any additional struggle due to L3 and R3 because they don't even have to realize that the functionality exists.

In fact, when I'm playing, say, God Of War, I honestly forget that the face buttons are analog. The game doesn't use the feature, so I totally forget about it. It's not even in my mind.

And if you want to count analog buttons as extra complexity, then why don't enumerate every possible Wiimote gesture and count that? It's a stupid argument. The PS3 controller is not significantly more complex than the Wiimote-nunchuk. And let's not forget that people DO have trouble with Wiimote input! Wii Boxing, anyone? At least with button-pressing systems, you know when you press the wrong button. With Boxing (as an example), I personally couldn't throw a fucking left hook. And even if I did get it right one time, there's no guarantee I'd get it right the next time.

The article was extremely biased, said inaccurate things like "Street Fighter 2 is doomed to failure" (seriously, how much research could he possibly have done to come to that conclusion? "Fucking NONE AT ALL" is the answer.) and parroted pie-in-the-sky Nintendo marketing. It was just horribly inaccurate, and it even misrepresented the data which made up the very foundation of its argument.

Defender on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007
    I remember the first time a PS2 game told me to press the L3 button I flipped the controller around for like 10 minutes before looking online

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2007

I'm cool with that for single-player, where basically the player is controlling someone (Samus) who is supposed to be awesome at aiming. Just like I'm fine with holding guard in God Of War and Kratos blocks 15 attacks coming from all different angles at the same time. He's Kratos, he knows how to do that, it's OK.

For competitive (multiplayer) FPS games, I'm not sure if I'm as keen on it, but it's mainly a balance/personal preference thing, and I can't say "good idea" or "bad idea" until I see some game use it. The one issue I do have is that it makes client-side aimhacking way easier. And way harder to detect.

Defender on
    edited November 2007
    jesus christ is that post all about controller buttons

are you serious or have you finally turned to self parody

We're talking about game controllers, you stupid little shit. We're talking about an article that dealt exclusively with input devices.

You're an ignorant, uneducated child (on this topic), and you never have any point to make, so instead you basically go "HAHAHA WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT" in lieu of a valid point or argument or criticism. Shut up, the big people are talking.

Defender on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I guess I need to post here or something

Favlaud on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007
    I just opened up another checking account under my name to make transfers with my dad easier, and I am kind of plotting to eat those pecan shortbread cookies I have stashed away

Favlaud on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm cool with that for single-player, where basically the player is controlling someone (Samus) who is supposed to be awesome at aiming. Just like I'm fine with holding guard in God Of War and Kratos blocks 15 attacks coming from all different angles at the same time. He's Kratos, he knows how to do that, it's OK.

For competitive (multiplayer) FPS games, I'm not sure if I'm as keen on it, but it's mainly a balance/personal preference thing, and I can't say "good idea" or "bad idea" until I see some game use it. The one issue I do have is that it makes client-side aimhacking way easier. And way harder to detect.

You should really try playing the game sometime. The lock on targeting really isn't necessary. It's mainly there as an aid. You can play the whole game without it.

Also, Heroes 2 doesn't have lock-on, as far as I know, and it supposedly rivals Corruption's controls.

Honestly, how many Wii games have you played? As I recall, you've only played a demo of Twilight Princess.

It's ridiculous to judge a games controls and a consoles controller when all you're really going on is your own assumptions and hearsay.

The lest you could do for this thread is actually play some of the games you're discussing.

Seriously, the way you talk makes it seem like the system hasn't been released yet. Go out and try the damn thing.

If I'm mistaken and you have played more than just a demo of Twilight Princess then just ignore this.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
    edited November 2007
    jesus christ is that post all about controller buttons

are you serious or have you finally turned to self parody

We're talking about game controllers, you stupid little shit. We're talking about an article that dealt exclusively with input devices.

You're an ignorant, uneducated child (on this topic), and you never have any point to make, so instead you basically go "HAHAHA WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT" in lieu of a valid point or argument or criticism. Shut up, the big people are talking.
    you take video games too seriously thx~

Yeah, except I don't. First, because they're my job, secondly because appreciating an art form isn't "too serious"...mindlessly consuming is "not serious enough," and third, you only make that argument because you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, so you have to find fault with the fact that I do.

Defender on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007
    Lurker wrote: »

You should really try playing the game sometime. The lock on targeting really isn't necessary. It's mainly there as an aid. You can play the whole game without it.

Also, Heroes 2 doesn't have lock-on, as far as I know, and it supposedly rivals Corruption's controls.

Playing the game is kinda hard without the console here. I'm talking about online FPSes, though. You know how people will hack/cheat in those...and also how some people get ungodly good aim. You'd basically, in balancing an online game with Wiimote-style aiming, have to balance the game accounting for the fact that a large number of players are going to be extremely accurate.

Non-instant-travel ("hitscan") weapons would probably be a good start, off the top of my head.

Defender on
    edited November 2007
    jesus fucking christ dude

you are the worst kind of curmudgeon

the one who doesn't know he's one

Wow I totally didn't realize I was one until you opened my eyes to this brave, new world.

You're exactly why nobody listens to children; you talk way beyond what you understand.

Defender on
    edited November 2007
    Farside you are annoying a perfectly nice gentleman, I demand you stop

Defender is a keen dude

Favlaud on
    edited November 2007
    jesus fucking christ dude

you are the worst kind of curmudgeon

the one who doesn't know he's one

get off your high horse, christopher

Garlic Bread on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007
    i am pretty sure anybody can discern how boring you are

emot-dramabomb.gif

Favlaud on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007

Is ad hominem how the slow children prefer to deal with having nothing worthwhile to say? How cute.

Maybe I'd be more interesting if I incessantly babbled about poorly-thought-out political ideology and how dissatisfied I am with my genitalia. You know, instead of discussing things I understand and not bitching about myself.

Defender on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007

Is ad hominem how the slow children prefer to deal with having nothing worthwhile to say? How cute.

Maybe I'd be more interesting if I incessantly babbled about poorly-thought-out political ideology and how dissatisfied I am with my genitalia.
    you calling somebody out on ad hominem is absolutely hilarious

Except my ad hominems are never in place of having a valid argument. Mine are IN ADDITION TO a valid argument that comes from an educated perspective. Any time there's a real point to be made, my ad hominem is merely a seasoning on the dish. You, on the other hand, never have a real point to make, and basically serve up a plate of paprika with no real food.

Defender on
    edited November 2007

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007
    You are pretty much uneducated in most things, because you are a child. But worse, you're a child who thinks you know grown-up stuff.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.