As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here's Your God Damn Wii Thread (Updated OP)

• tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    Yeah, so once again, Galaxy is fucking insanely hard to put down.

Like REAL hard.

I know how you feel.
    It's cut into my end of the year school work, and I've missed a few classes to play.
    I'm going to have to not play tomorrow so I can catch up.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    If you're cutting class to play video games you may want to rethink your priorities

Garlic Bread on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, unless you're paying for 100% of your own education, that's somebody else's money you're pissing away.

Defender on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey hey, I just got through 0, 1, and 3 of RE:UC co-op. We played it on hard and apparently it only counts your end times to your game clock so it read about 3:45. But we played for more like 5 and a half hours. It was pretty damn enjoyable.

I enjoyed the outbreak stuff Redeemer, mostly because 3 is my least favorite of the games. All the subway stuff? I think we killed around 400 hunters on that end part, yeah it was probably 400.

The critical hits are hard to pull off, and we averaged about 6 a scenario/chapter, but they are soooo satisfying. Especially multiple ones in a row. It also has a nice difficulty curve.

Now I have to go through the solo bonus chapters to unlock the Russia scenario for tomorrow.

edit: It wasn't a 5 and a half hour chunk of play. We broke it up with bouts of SMG, GG:AC, and Mario Strikers. I am drained. So it was a like, 9 hour chunk of playing...

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Hey, I care more about what I think of the game than Shibby does

Have not gotten to 3 yet.
    But fuck them for not having Barry when you pick Jill in Resident Evil 1.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    no-more-heroes-20071115042342602.jpg

So

Fucking

Cool

Bloods End on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    what the hell is going on in that image

what are those things in the HUD

TheySlashThem on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I beat Galaxy

pretty rad

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007

I have no fucking idea

I just know it's cool.

Bloods End on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

I have no fucking idea

I just no it's cool.
    really, now

where are you getting that vibe from

it just looks distractingly ugly to me

redhead on
    edited November 2007
    redhead wrote: »

I have no fucking idea

I just no it's cool.
    really, now

Well maybe you should just kill yourself because you suck so much.

Bloods End on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Travis Touchdown seems like a supreme badass and a fucking douchebag.

And I have no idea about what is going on in that image.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2007
    He is a weeaboo johnny knoxville with a goddamn lightsaber

If that doesn't make you love him you are undeserving of the milk that your mother gifted you.

Bloods End on
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From playing Ratchet and Clank (maybe some others had it, I forget) I wasn't looking forward to the planetoids in Galaxy. It's a fun game but fucking hell they should have had someone play Ratchet and Clank so they'd realize, holy shit does planetoid gameplay suck. The camera feels like it's being controlled by a cross-eyed drunk. Just go ahead and swing wildly in the air so I have no fucking idea which direction to push now. I enjoy the worlds that are more like traditional platformer stages. Those shitty planetoids, where the camera will end up flipped upside-down and tilted towards the sky so that now when I press left I run back and to the right, can fuck right off though.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
    edited November 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    I enjoy the worlds that are more like traditional platformer stages. Those shitty planetoids, where the camera will end up flipped upside-down and tilted towards the sky so that now when I press left I run back and to the right, can fuck right off though.

So basically you want something like New Super Mario Bros instead of something that is actually new?

Rehab on
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Joon wrote: »
    I enjoy the worlds that are more like traditional platformer stages. Those shitty planetoids, where the camera will end up flipped upside-down and tilted towards the sky so that now when I press left I run back and to the right, can fuck right off though.

So basically you want something like New Super Mario Bros instead of something that is actually new?

I said that I enjoy portions and others control for shit. I didn't say anything about how I would change the game. Quit trying to be a smarmy dick.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
    edited November 2007
    I just found it odd that your post was the only instance I have ever seen that complaint is all.

Most reviews say the camera could use some minor improvements but that it is pretty damn solid throughout otherwise.

Rehab on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Boy can't wrap his head around complex things like "being upside down."

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2007

I have no fucking idea

I just no it's cool.
    really, now

Yeah, I've seen shots of that game that look awesome, but that's not one of them. Also, taking a screenshot where the guy's hand is going through the sword handle in the foreground is bad form. Why does this picture look so shitty?

Defender on
    edited November 2007
    He is a weeaboo johnny knoxville with a goddamn lightsaber

If that doesn't make you love him you are undeserving of the milk that your mother gifted you.

That's basically the one thing I've heard about the game that I don't like. But then, I hate fanservice, and I really hate nerd masturbation. Two quick examples of blatant nerd masturbation, because that's what I do:

1) Fantasic Four 2: Richards gives a whole "yeah I'm a nerd and I have a hot chick and you have to come to me for help, so give me some goddamn respect" speech when the army guy makes a nerd/jock reference. This is obviously pandering to the audience's feeling that they're smarter than the football team and it's unfair that girls won't talk to them, because they're inherently better. It also builds on the myth that once you get out of school, hot girls will suddenly stop finding the jocks attractive and will swoon over you. The only case where this is true is where the girl is the rare "hot nerd chick" or where the girl's gold-digging and you're making good money and are clueless, thus making you easy to string along.

2) Transformers: The chick with the British accent who gets hired by the NSA and cracks all sorts of codes and shit...she's seated between two stereotypical comic-book-store nerds, one of whom looks just like Kevin Smith. Just the initial scene with that character basically said "OK nerds, you're in the movie, and you're helping Optimus Prime (indirectly), and in with the ranks of you unattractive nerds are hot, inexplicably foreign women, and they never recoil at your body odor."

Yes, I saw both of these movies at someone else's request. I would not have seen them otherwise, and as it turns out, that would've been a good decision.

Anyway, regarding fanservice/nerd masturbation: Please don't do that. It's really, really patronizing.

Defender on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Defender if you have a problem with hot chicks and lighsabers then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Khavall on
    edited November 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    Defender if you have a problem with hot chicks and lighsabers then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Who said I had a problem with either of those things? I pretty clearly stated that I don't like fanservice and nerd masturbation. Not hot chicks and/or lightsabers. Where do you people get this stuff?

Defender on
    edited November 2007
    Well I mean.

How many times do you see lightsabers that aren't in nerd masturbation?

Hot chicks granted are a little more plentiful.

Khavall on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Defender wrote: »

Who said I had a problem with either of those things? I pretty clearly stated that I don't like fanservice and nerd masturbation. Not hot chicks and/or lightsabers. Where do you people get this stuff?

Yeah, pretty much that.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I didn't actually complain about the lightsaber being in the game at all. There isn't even a single mention of lightsabers in my post up there.

Defender on
  • yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    defender sux

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited November 2007
    Ok, so lets ignore the original post, now you have said that you have no problem with lightsabers. But when are lightsabers not in nerd masturbation/fanservice?

Boo-yah.

Man, I'm so out of it right now.

Khavall on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

I have no fucking idea

I just no it's cool.
    really, now

Yeah, I've seen shots of that game that look awesome, but that's not one of them. Also, taking a screenshot where the guy's hand is going through the sword handle in the foreground is bad form. Why does this picture look so shitty?

Maybe it's just the handle of the sword.

You know, something like this.
    HandleAdjustableRed.jpg

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Ok, so lets ignore the original post, now you have said that you have no problem with lightsabers. But when are lightsabers not in nerd masturbation/fanservice?

Boo-yah.

Man, I'm so out of it right now.

Yeah, I think you are pretty out of it, because this shit you're saying makes no sense.
    PotU wrote: »

I have no fucking idea

I just no it's cool.
    really, now

Maybe it's just the handle of the sword.

You know, something like this.
    HandleAdjustableRed.jpg

Nah, look closely, the hand is clipping through the handle. The middle finger is clearly just poking through the metal grip. It's just a little flaw in the animation, they probably didn't animate the finger joints ("rock hands") and as a result the hand geometry goes through the handle. That's an OK flaw, it's a pet peeve of mine, but given that hands and faces have extremely high bone-count-to-screen-space ratios, it makes sense not to physique fingers in games that don't run on high-end systems. It's just a peeve of mine...but still, you shouldn't take a screenshot where the error is front-and-center like that.

EDIT: Also, that nitpick aside, the post-process stuff they have going on there is just ugly as fuck. Maybe in motion it looks cool, I could see that, but it looks horrible as a still shot.

Defender on
  • yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    damn dudes defender is just owning newbs left and right

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
    edited November 2007
    Listen, I'm on break, thinking is totally out of the question.

Khavall on
    edited November 2007
    Listen, I'm on break, thinking is totally out of the question.

What is your job?

Defender on
    edited November 2007
    Musician.

But I'm also at PSU for a comp degree, luckily all gigs and rehearsals are taking a break when PSU is, so not only do I not have classes for a week, but I have absolutely no rehearsals or gigs for a week. I've gone from 16 hour days 6 days a week to 0 hour days for 9 days.

Khavall on
    edited November 2007
    Guys it isn't a lightsaber

it is a not-lightsaber

Bloods End on
    edited November 2007
    When I get back my schedule actually gets worse though, I'll be on 18 hour days for two weeks before going back to 16.

Khavall on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Defender, the hot Australian girl in Transformers wasn't really "fanservice". She didn't actually hook up with any nerds, she just hung out with them. Plenty of nerds are friends with hot girls that they will never stand a hope in hell of asking out/dating, so it's not that unrealistic.

Unless you're calling the presence of hot girls in the movie in general fanservice, which it is, but to men in general and not nerds specifically.

Butler on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, I'm Australian myself, but whenever I hear a single Australian accent in an otherwise all-American movie it actually sounds foreign to me. Kind of an aural illusion or something.

Butler on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    3 is my least favorite of the games.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Butler wrote: »
    Defender, the hot Australian girl in Transformers wasn't really "fanservice". She didn't actually hook up with any nerds, she just hung out with them. Plenty of nerds are friends with hot girls that they will never stand a hope in hell of asking out/dating, so it's not that unrealistic.

Unless you're calling the presence of hot girls in the movie in general fanservice, which it is, but to men in general and not nerds specifically.

No, no, I was referring to her as nerd masturbation, not fanservice. Let me go over that again...

The NSA is hiring, "right out of high school," comic book nerds to do their kickass computer hacking. OK so right there we already have nerd masturbation, predicated on comic book nerds thinking that because they got As in pre-calculus "without even studying all that hard," they're fucking world-class geniuses. Then we take it further by putting a really hot chick right between two godawful nerds, which feeds into the "once you're out of high school, hot girls will magically start finding you irresistible" bullshit, so I'm going to say that this is furthering the nerd masturbation theme. Then the hot chick is revealed to be basically the best hacker in the world as she single-handedly cracks a completely alien code without even having support from her superiors. And then, of course, we see that her friends are all hopelessly unattractive guys, and there's no Human Torch underwear-model-on-a-motorcycle boyfriend to be found. All of this screams "YOU HAVE A CHANCE" to the never-kissed-a-girl high school nerd crowd.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.