As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox Live: Free Carcassone

ToyDToyD Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So, those with Xbox Live know that this week Microsoft has been advertising the Xbox Live is 5ive campaign with free stuff.

Well, according to xbox.com Carcassone is free Tomorrow (11/15) and Friday!

If, like me, you never got around to downloading it when it came out, and you love free Xbox Live Arcade titles, here you go!

Edit: Fixed Link, darn copy/paste.

steam_sig.png
ToyD on

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    O_O YES.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought this game when it came out and I've played it a whole bunch. I love this kind of casual strategy game. Also it's one of the few games I can convince my housemates to play with me.

desperaterobots on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Played the demo, and didn't really get it...

But if it's free, I suppose I could try to learn again.

UnbreakableVow on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was willing to pay full price for the game so this is awesome news. But I feel kind of bad for the people that bought it right before the announcement.

FreddyD on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I own the "big box" version of the board game and play it all the time. I wasn't going to pay for the video game version as a result (it would just be redundant), but I'm more than happy to get it for free for those times when my friends don't want to play.

Brym on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a game I wouldn't have tried normally, but since it's free I'll definitely fire it up. Since I'm not paying $10 for the game, I'd be a lot more inclined to buy the DLC for it.

So, basically, instead of getting no money from me, they may get a few bucks out of me for DLC. Good Game, MS.

Einhander on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SO

DAMN

AWESOME

PiptheFair on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ...damnit.

I already bought it months ago.

ah well. Great game though, more people need to get it.

ManetherenWolf on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great news. I was considering buying it anyways, but now I will download it for sure.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just want to reiterate that, this game is worth paying for. Which I did do. So getting it for free is ++good.

capable heart on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so can I pick it up at midnight then

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tis free now. I downloaded it this morning before heading out.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We should totally have a Carcassone night sometime this weekend; this game has multiplayer, right?

Recoil42 on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a message saying Marketplace is down D:

One Thousand Cables on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I played the actual card/board game with some friends, and found it awesome.

So has anyone confirmed that silver folk can download it?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Free is one of my favorite things. I shall have to aquire this when I go home for lunch.

SoulFury on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not so sure about Carcassone... what I am sure about is Talisman (stupidly delayed until next year)!

I own all but one of the official Talisman expansions, and several unofficial ones. I can't wait to see how it translates to a modern gaming system (the 1985 version wasn't exactly mind blowing).

Dracomicron on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's a shame Carcassone costs so much for you to be unsure about it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    It's a shame Carcassone costs so much for you to be unsure about it.

Well, the board game was interesting, but didn't blow wind up my kilt.

And it -would- cost me something, since I have neither a 360 or a P3 yet. Yes, I'm a luddite.

If I don't have a next gen device by the time Talisman comes out, however, I'll probably bite the bullet and get whichever has the better games (probably 360) so I can download me some Talisman.

Dracomicron on
  • X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm loving this game. I love playing games where I have to think two steps ahead of everyone else. Anyone want to play tonight?

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have no idea what that game is. I guess I'll download it anyways tonight since it's free.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I played the actual card/board game with some friends, and found it awesome.

So has anyone confirmed that silver folk can download it?

Yes Silver folk can download it, my friend who just got his 360 and has silver was able to download it.

Lothars on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am all up ons.

Evander on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Guys, if I wanted to get the actual box version of say, this or Catan, where would be a good place to look? Toys R Us? Is there somewhere I can find a list of gaming stores?

SniperGuy on
    edited November 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Guys, if I wanted to get the actual box version of say, this or Catan, where would be a good place to look? Toys R Us? Is there somewhere I can find a list of gaming stores?

Toys R Us probably has it, but you could also go to Games By James in the mall or your local gaming store (if they still exist).

I'm sure you can buy it online as well.

Dracomicron on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Amazon carries them, at really good prices at that. If you're against shopping online, you can generally get them at places like Go, The Game Store.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a message saying Marketplace is down D:

I've had that same message for 2 days now.

Veevee on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game rules.
    Amazon has it but I don't know if you want to go somewhere specific.
    We used to have a lot of Wizards of the Coast store around me.
    Now we just have one comic shop in central Jersey that also sells board games.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is probably a stupid question, but is it specific to XBL for America? I know that I can setup a US XBL account, but I really can't be bothered and I wouldn't mind not getting it if it was made clear that I can't :P

devoir on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Downloaded it this afternoon.

Like UNO, it was such a good, relaxing experience and soothed me after my angers at CoD4 on Veteran.

I'd totally be up for a Carcassone night this weekend.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but is it specific to XBL for America? I know that I can setup a US XBL account, but I really can't be bothered and I wouldn't mind not getting it if it was made clear that I can't :P

Try it. I did not see anything on the xbox link that said US only, but I don't work for MS and make no claims for how they do their stuff. Just go into the Arcade and try to download Carcassone, if it's 800 points, then it's NA only I guess.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in canada, I downloaded it fine. The op mentions that Hexic 2 is the free game in Korea, so I'm assuming it's a worldwide thing.

edit: not the op, but I saw it SOMEWHERE

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yup, got it fine here in the UK, too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ooo! Glad I saw this thread. Me lovesies the free stuffs.

Lail on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Its actually pretty fun just kind of confusing at times.

EspantaPajaro on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks guys, I went home for lunch and it was free for me too. I'll play it this weekend... maybe... I have Mass Effect... ohgawdyes.

devoir on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Depends where you are. If your in America, you can hit up www.boardgamegeek.com and start hitting the ads and such. Lots of online discount shops there.

If your not in the states, you'll have to look a bit harder. I might be able to help with that too.

shryke on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Depends where you are. If your in America, you can hit up www.boardgamegeek.com and start hitting the ads and such. Lots of online discount shops there.

If your not in the states, you'll have to look a bit harder. I might be able to help with that too.

I highly recommend Thoughthammer.com. They're top notch, decent prices, and free shipping at $100 I think, which is pretty good, considering how much those games cost to ship.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a question... if you ever delete this, would you have to pay for it if you wanted to download it again? Or once you download the free version does it treat it like you bought it?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone else get an email about some free MS points? Email SEEMS legit but you never know.

powersurge on