As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House Of The Dead 2 & 3 for Wii - It's out! ... Now try and find a copy

SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
zomgreviewswtfbbq
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/944030.asp?q=house%20of%20the%20dead
http://wii.ign.com/articles/858/858728p1.html

May want to invest in one of these:
31d-tbiJKWL._AA280_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87030-Wii-Perfect-Shot/dp/B000X2RKOO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1205472174&sr=8-1

Old Post:
CONFIRMED FOR MUCH WIN! (Thanks go to slash000 for pointing out)
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/sega-confirms-w.html
SEGA ANNOUNCES THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN FOR THE Wii

Horror Arcade Game to Bring Non-Stop Shooting Action

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (November 15, 2007) - SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN™ is coming to the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo. Combining two arcade games, THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2™ and THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD III™, this new compilation gives gamers the full arcade experience of battling hordes of rabid zombies in the comfort of their homes.

In THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN, players will be able to play both versions of the game, battling the relentless attack of the blood thirsty zombies with steady aim and a quick trigger finger. Utilizing the innovative new Wii Zapper™ or the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™, players will experience branching storylines with over six game modes including Arcade Mode and Time Attack modes that will test their shooting skills. THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN features an engaging single-player campaign, plus a co-op multiplayer mode for up to two players for countless hours of zombie shooting action.
"THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD franchise has been revitalized for today's gamer looking for non-stop shooting action on the Wii," said Rick Naylor, Director of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "This will take gamers back to experience the celebrated first-person arcade shooter that was so popular in the late '90s."

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD franchise is famous for its heart-pounding pace, astounding visual details and vast armies of unique enemies. Blasting through legions of grotesque zombies and mutated monsters, players eventually face-off against mammoth boss creatures that will test the accuracy and skill of every Wii gamer.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN will be available for the Wii home video game system from Nintendo in spring 2008. For more information, screenshots and assets please visit the SEGA Press FTP site at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.

Rumor Info:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/15/house-of-the-dead-2-and-3-wii-vived-in-early-08/
GameFly has listed House of the Dead 2 & 3 for the Wii as launching March 31, '08. After contacting Sega, Joystiq has confirmed that this game is real, though the publisher isn't ready to make the "official" announcement yet. GameFly has a good record when it comes to revealing new titles companies aren't ready to talk about, mostly due to its robotic nature of tossing up the info as soon as it comes down the supply chain. GameFly does not lie -- unless the publisher has no idea what it's doing.

Wii detractors will be quick to point out that House of the Dead 2 & 3 aren't the latest in the series (that would be HotD 4) and are considerably "last-gen" at this point. House of the Dead will join Sega's other light-gun title, Ghost Squad, and Capcom's Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles in giving purpose to the Wii Zapper. As much as getting half-decade old arcade ports makes us roll our eyes at the Wii, it's still cool to play House of the Dead without having to hunt down one of last arcades left in the States (and it's not like traditional lightguns work on our fancy HDTVs either!)

Gamefly link that has spawned this rumor:
http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=129350&t=0&fcTrack=Search

I take back all the bad things I've said about Sega. .... Some of it atleast. Discuss bitches. ;)

SpikedFreak on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, god, yeah.

i feel so warm

Magic Pink on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    G's bloodstains......

If this is true, that pretty neat. I love House of the Dead 2 and I never had a good arcade or an X-Box to really play 3. I've only ever played one level of it. Still, if they're including 2 and 3, why not just put 1 on there as well? Has 1 ever gotten a home port? I never got to play HotD 2 on Dreamcast so I don't know if it was on there or not.

Gilder on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DON'T COME DON'T COME

hohohohoho

One isn't on there most likely because it'll look like crap. Assuming these are just direct ports with updated waggle control.

Magic Pink on
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    G's bloodstains......

If this is true, that pretty neat. I love House of the Dead 2 and I never had a good arcade or an X-Box to really play 3. I've only ever played one level of it. Still, if they're including 2 and 3, why not just put 1 on there as well? Has 1 ever gotten a home port? I never got to play HotD 2 on Dreamcast so I don't know if it was on there or not.

I believe there was a poopy saturn version.

SpikedFreak on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Very cool :) Great games, and it really fits in with the whole local multi player party game thing that the Wii has going. I would bet Namco will follow eventually with a Time Crisis of some sort too.

Aoi on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    G's bloodstains......

I believe there was a poopy saturn version.

Ah, it seems you are correct. So about 6 people played it then. I think we're overdue for another port.

Magic Pink sure it may look crappy, but I still want it. Just because at least I could set the blood to red. All the machines I find of it now have the blood set to green and that throws me off with noticing enemies and such.

Gilder on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    House of the Dead 2 is the grestest lightgun game ever. Me and a freind spent countless hours in front of his Dreamcast playing the everloving fuck out of that game.

I'd be sorley tempted to get a Wii for this if I didn't already know I can borrow my freind's Deramcast, lightgun and HotD 2 whenever I like

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hrm...

So is it going to be a Wii pointer game? Or are they going to have you calibrate your Wiimote so you can actually use it as a lightgun?

The prior would be lame, the latter would be cool.

Smudge on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This generation of systems (including handhelds) has seen the resurgence of both shmups and point-and-click adventures. If the Wii can single-handedly bring light-gun games back en vogue, then this will indeed be the Greatest Generation of Systems.

I remember playing a bit of HOTD 2 in the arcades, although not very much. I do know one thing, though: Suffer like G did?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This makes me pleased. Very pleased. Resident Evil: UC, Ghost Squad, now House of the Dead 2 and 3?? Hell yeah!

urahonky on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PC and DC gamers got the best Dead game ever though. Nothing, and I mean nothing can compare with Typing of the Dead

Although this is a cool announcement. I've seen the new zapper Wii accessory, and bringing out some top shelf light-gun games like HotD will actually get me to use my Wii for more than Zelda and Metroid.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i know its asking too much, but now with the USB support? TYPING OF THE DEAD unlockable?

GO KUARL!

delphinus on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    First of all, despite this being ports of last gen games, this could be very good.

#1, these are great games, and it would be great to have them on the Wii.
    #2, it would make more sense and be even better if Sega followed their own precedent of discounting the price on these things -- since Ghost Squad is only $30, maybe HOTD2+3 will only be $30 on wii?

I hope so. It's the least we can ask for older ports of lightgun games. $30 would be a great deal.

Smudge wrote: »
    Hrm...

So is it going to be a Wii pointer game? Or are they going to have you calibrate your Wiimote so you can actually use it as a lightgun?

The prior would be lame, the latter would be cool.

I think Ghost Squad has some kind of calibration but I'm not sure.

slash000 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is nice ^^
    Particularly since mixed reviews have been popping up of Umbrella Chronicles.
    Here's hoping for a graphics upgrade of some kind.

Xagarath on
    edited November 2007
    I don't think Ghost Squad had a graphics upgrade of any kind.. although I think they added a bunch of content. Fortunately, they're only asking $30 for Ghost Squad, and plus, the gameplay is awesome.

I'd be equally happy with a budget-price release of a straight port as I would with a $50 release of enhanced versions of the games. I'm assuming by the description that these two games are packed together...?

slash000 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish they'd continue the typing franchise.

Type Squad, Virtua Type, Type Crisis 4(no it's not Sega, but still).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holy shit, this is awesome. Even straight ports would be 100% worth it since old lightguns don't work on HDTVs.

shyguy on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This might be a good time to ask a quick question about the Zapper and lightgun games. Has there been any buzz or anything about how these new lightgun games are going to be calibrated? Does it work well, or will we end up pointing at the sensor bar?

Trevor on
    edited November 2007
    Trevor wrote: »
    This might be a good time to ask a quick question about the Zapper and lightgun games. Has there been any buzz or anything about how these new lightgun games are going to be calibrated? Does it work well, or will we end up pointing at the sensor bar?

Suppooosedly Ghost Squad has some kind of calibration technique.

I don't know anything beyond that.

I will know for sure once I buy this awesome game though. Other than that, though, there hasn't been any word.

slash000 on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HOTD 1 had a PC port, it was groovy!

I wish it were on here. :-(

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Watch this clip of House of the Dead 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyOGX67BjQ

How is HotD 4 not suited for the Wiimote? There's waggling and everything!

emnmnme on
  • WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SUFFER LIKE G DID?

...I love that part.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have to admit I'm disappointed that they're not doing all 4. All 4 games in the series at $30 would have been an automatic day one purchase out of me. As it is, with RE: UC, Ghost Squad, and Link's Crossbow, I'm not sure when I'd get around to picking it up if it's just 2&3.

How do HotD2 & 3 hold up? Most of my experience is with the 1st game and the 4th. How long are they (lots of alternate routes or just 1 path)? How are the visuals these days?

RainbowDespair on
    edited November 2007
    If you want to see visuals, you should check it out on youtube or something. IIRC, the HOTD2 was built on saturn hardware..i think.. and HOTD3 was Dreamcast hardware. So you're lookin' at last gen, and last-last gen visuals.

That's not to say that they don't have a kind of campy charm to them.

HOTD2 is like.. the definition of campiness.

HOTD3 still looks OK for a lightgun shooter if you ask me. Not amazing but okay and serviceable.

A bundle of old games like this really needs a budget price. Unless they revamp these somehow, which I would find extremely unlikely.

As far as gameplay, I think HOTD2 is highly regarded and HOTD3 is considered mediocre because of its shotgun.

HOTD4 is built on some snazzy current-gen level stuff with normal maps and stuff like that. But it does come with waggle! (you literally waggle your gun to shake off zombies) It would be a good fit for the Wii, but it's unlikely that they could directly port it; at least not without removing certain graphical effects.

slash000 on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    If you want to see visuals, you should check it out on youtube or something. IIRC, the HOTD2 was built on saturn hardware..i think.. and HOTD3 was Dreamcast hardware. So you're lookin' at last gen, and last-last gen visuals.

That's not to say that they don't have a kind of campy charm to them.

HOTD2 is like.. the definition of campiness.

HOTD3 still looks OK for a lightgun shooter if you ask me. Not amazing but okay and serviceable.

A bundle of old games like this really needs a budget price. Unless they revamp these somehow, which I would find extremely unlikely.

As far as gameplay, I think HOTD2 is highly regarded and HOTD3 is considered mediocre because of its shotgun.

HOTD4 is built on some snazzy current-gen level stuff with normal maps and stuff like that. But it does come with waggle! (you literally waggle your gun to shake off zombies) It would be a good fit for the Wii, but it's unlikely that they could directly port it; at least not without removing certain graphical effects.

HOTD4 looked like ass judging by that youtube video...I'll check out some HD stuff if I can, but there are tonnes of slowdown, especially during the zombie glass breaking scene.

mooshoepork on
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it's kinda funny. HOTD4 has all of these normal mapping and other graphical effects, but it still nevertheless doesn't look all that great. :lol: it's like they felt the need to have this stuff... but it's not implemented very well..

I don't recall any slowdown when playign at the arcade though. But that may have been because I was concentrating so hard.

Still, it's enjoyable.

slash000 on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yay I might actually have a reason to dust off the old wii and give it some play time.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Watch this clip of House of the Dead 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyOGX67BjQ

How is HotD 4 not suited for the Wiimote? There's waggling and everything!

HotD 4 is plenty suited for the Wiimote. It's not suited for the Wii itself, because it was on the very powerful Sega Lindbergh arcade hardware and would need a serious rewrite to work on the Wii's far lesser system specs.

That said, they really should make the effort, HOTD2+3 are oooooooold.

Daedalus on
  • lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

Just to clarify, HotD2 was DC hardware and HotD3 was xbox hardware, so they still hold up OK, depending on how much new-gen eyecandy you've been viewing lately.

loflo on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As long as they do a re-port of House of the Dead 3 I'd be all over this, I have the xbox version and it's pretty pathetic compared to the arcade one.

Ghost Squad DOES feature a calibration mode, you can either play it in normal pointer mode or you can calibrate the wiimote and turn off the sight.

Looks like I'm definitely getting the wii zapper!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited November 2007
    Well, I d'no if it's been mentioned, but this is no longer a rumor:
    SEGA ANNOUNCES THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN FOR THE Wii

Horror Arcade Game to Bring Non-Stop Shooting Action

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (November 15, 2007) - SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN™ is coming to the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo. Combining two arcade games, THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2™ and THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD III™, this new compilation gives gamers the full arcade experience of battling hordes of rabid zombies in the comfort of their homes.

In THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN, players will be able to play both versions of the game, battling the relentless attack of the blood thirsty zombies with steady aim and a quick trigger finger. Utilizing the innovative new Wii Zapper™ or the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™, players will experience branching storylines with over six game modes including Arcade Mode and Time Attack modes that will test their shooting skills. THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN features an engaging single-player campaign, plus a co-op multiplayer mode for up to two players for countless hours of zombie shooting action.
    "THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD franchise has been revitalized for today's gamer looking for non-stop shooting action on the Wii," said Rick Naylor, Director of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "This will take gamers back to experience the celebrated first-person arcade shooter that was so popular in the late '90s."

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD franchise is famous for its heart-pounding pace, astounding visual details and vast armies of unique enemies. Blasting through legions of grotesque zombies and mutated monsters, players eventually face-off against mammoth boss creatures that will test the accuracy and skill of every Wii gamer.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN will be available for the Wii home video game system from Nintendo in spring 2008. For more information, screenshots and assets please visit the SEGA Press FTP site at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.

slash000 on
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
  • MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    1up had some info on these games today.

HOTD 2 & 3 will be a value pack at only 29.99 in one game.
    Apparently Sega felt the graphics of HOTD 1 were too outdated and would take too much time to update to current standards.
    2 & 3 will be straight up arcade ports with the addition of different modes (boss attack, time attack... 6 in all) and hidden modes.
    Aiming circles have been added.

source: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3165142

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome! More use for my Wii Zapper.

When if when using said Zapper, if you'll have to manually reload (ie cock the shotgun) in HotD3 by pressing B and use the nunchuck portion as the primary trigger (a la Ghost Squad).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But what about...

20031119225618873_1_original.png

I mean, the Wii supports a USB keyboard. They'd be stupid not to include it, right?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    edited December 2007
    Here's an interesting quote, since this topic was brought up on this board at some point:

1UP: Or, alternatively, why not include HOTD4? Would that be too difficult given the Wii's graphics capabilities?

ES: Bringing HOTD4 completely would be difficult, but we don't think it's "too" difficult to deliver HOTD4 and make it enjoyable on Wii. HOTD4 runs on the excellent SEGA Lindbergh arcade board and while it's very powerful, the concern isn't how difficult it would be to port it to the Wii. SEGA has always had a history of bringing a variety of our latest arcade games faithfully to home systems.

Our feeling was that it's hard to find HOTD2 and HOTDIII in arcades nowadays, while HOTD4 is still currently available. By delivering the series to users with the new HOTD 2 & 3 Return for Wii, if users play and like this title, our hope is that they will feel compelled to go an arcade and enjoy HOTD4.

slash000 on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's nice and all...

BUT WHAT FUCKING ARCADES?!?!?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    There's a few around my old college campus. They tend to have all of the latest good arcade games. Played HOTD4 a few times.. thought it was 'okay.'

I spent more time playing GGXXAC and KOFXI there, though.

slash000 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I loved HOTD4, but hated the one-liners in it. :P But I suppose that's what HOTD is for! I loved 2 the most, personally, but 3 and 4 are still high up there on my list of "sweet zombie games".

urahonky on