As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista activation troubles

Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I had an issue with my computer a few weeks ago and had to change my Mobo. Now Vista refuses to accept my product key, as it is "already in use". But seeing as the only place it has already been in use is this computer, I'm kinda confused as to how to get it working again. Anyone got any tips?

Cynic Jester on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You'll need to do a telephone activation with microsoft.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Through the tech support lines that cost $texas?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    no, there should be a telephone activation option, which provides you with the number to call.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, much obliged.

Microsoft really could do with making that information clearer.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For the record I think this rule is BS but when you call Microsoft don't tell them you replaced the motherboard. Tell them that the hard drive crashed or something like that because according to Microsoft you now are required to buy a new copy of Windows. No, I'm not joking, a new motherboard constitutes a signifigant hardware change and MS says that means you have to buy a new liscense for Windows.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    For the record I think this rule is BS but when you call Microsoft don't tell them you replaced the motherboard. Tell them that the hard drive crashed or something like that because according to Microsoft you now are required to buy a new copy of Windows. No, I'm not joking, a new motherboard constitutes a signifigant hardware change and MS says that means you have to buy a new liscense for Windows.

I've told microsoft about motherboard replacements a hundred times and they've never whined about it.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »

I've told microsoft about motherboard replacements a hundred times and they've never whined about it.

OEM EULAs state only that the license is tied to the "original device", which is undefined. It's basically in place to enforce an OEM license as a "subscription" for the life of the original machine on which it was installed. This does *not* restrict the license from being used if hardware is replaced by the "system builder" (whoever installed the license), rather than upgraded.

Outside of the licensing requirements, the OS uses some sort of points system to determine if it will activate. This points system is unpublished, as far as I've ever seen. Basically, if you change a hard drive and video card, it won't stop online reactivation. If you change the motherboard, it will. As per the licensing requirements above, if you replace the mobo, it's not the "original device", unless it was replaced in case of a failure.

Telling the activation person that it's the original device should be enough to get it activated.

Also, support is generally included for Retail Windows boxes, intended for installation help so it's free for 90 days after activation or the first call. Reference.

OEM licenses aren't an agreement between Microsoft and the end user, but between the System Builder (installer) and end user. As such, MS doesn't offer any warranty support; you'll have to contact the system builder/OEM... or do your own support if you installed it. Reference.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg