As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless Internet/Router Problem

NarianNarian Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, the story is that I have a D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router, a desktop hooked into the router physically, and my laptop in the room above it using the wireless. I use avast!, Windows Firewall, I'm fully updated (SP2).

A few days ago it started that my internet would stop working. What I mean is that, I could not connect to any websites, my downloads would stop, but the little connection icon in the system tray indicating a lost connection/no connection wouldn't show up. If I went to Network Connections-->Wireless Connection, I would still be connected trying to send a few packets, but would receive none. The only way to fix this is to run downstairs and turn off then back on the router and I would be able to surf the internet again for awhile.

Also, one time when my internet 'died', the Remote Processing Call window came up and did it's whole restarting thing, seeing that this is a system of the Blaster Worm, I scanned my laptop with two programs which found no trace of the Worm. This hasn't happened since.

Thing is, the downstairs desktop which is physically connected to the router doesn't skip a beat, and hasn't had any problems that my laptop is experiencing.

I haven't changed any settings anywhere dealing with connections, and I've been using the same router and Wireless Connection for two years with no problems.

My Google-fu is very strong, but on this I'm drawing a blank and I'd rather ask you guys since you know a lot more about this than me. Thanks.

Narian.gif
Narian on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Have to tried rebooting the computer when it loses it's connection to see if it restored?

Have you tried changing your Wireless channel and SSID from the factory defaults?

Additionally, how populated is the area you live in? (eg what's the likelyhood that somebody else setup a wireless network nearby that is enroaching on your signal)

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Have to tried rebooting the computer when it loses it's connection to see if it restored?

No, I'll try next time it happens.
    Have you tried changing your Wireless channel and SSID from the factory defaults?
    No, I'm in the process of looking up stuff now to do that. Thanks.
    Additionally, how populated is the area you live in? (eg what's the likelyhood that somebody else setup a wireless network nearby that is enroaching on your signal)

Eh, I'm over in Newfoundland, and I'm in a pretty sizeable area, but I don't think it's big enough to cause problems like in a big city.

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions and see how they work.

EDIT: Channel changed to 6, and SSID changed from dlink to something else. See how this goes.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just want to say that so far I haven't lost connection once, so thanks Ruckus.

Narian on
    Narian.gif