As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommendations for a Good Ultra Compact Digital Camera?

krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a good ultra compact point-and-click digital camera. I'm not really into photography, but I'd like to have a camera that I can easily whip out and take a couple snapshots if something interesting comes up. I have a weird hobby where I like to take photographs of BSOD, MS Window's dialog boxes, and Window's error messages appearing on public displays (public phones, airport departure displays, ATMs, etc...). I've mostly relied on the camera on my cell phone, but the picture quality is horrible, it can't take pictures in low light settings, and the resolution is too low.

I'd like to purchase a compact digital camera that I can easily carry around in my pocket. I already carry around several gadgets (cell phone, ipod nano, and Nintendo DS) wherever I go so size and weight (less than 6oz) is a high priority for me. Preferably the camera would have good facial recognition, image stabilization, and can take pictures quickly.

I was originally thinking about the new Sony T-70 but was unimpressed by the clarity of the touchscreen LCD. However, the features still make it an appealing choice and I liked how easily my sister's T-100 operated. I've also looked into the Sony W55 (no image stabilization) and the Samsung NV3 but have yet to check them out in person. I was wondering if there were any other recommendations for digital cameras with similar specs. I've had an absolutely horrendous experience with Canon (extremely slow focus S400 and an A70 with an LCD screen that died after a year) so I'm not a huge fan of theirs; however, if their new products really shine I might be willing to check it out again. I've also heard that Fuji makes some cameras with excellent facial recognition and low light picture abilities, but do not know if it extends to their ultra compact models.

If anyone has tried these models or ones that are similar and could post their experience, I'd be extremely grateful. If someone could also give a recommendation of other cameras that might fit the bill that would be great. Thanks!

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
krapst78 on

• Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought a Fuji F40fd (I think they have an F45 now) about 3 months ago before I went to Hong Kong for a week. It's ultracompact, quick, has lots of options. It's slightly bigger than the Canon Sd1000 which I also thought about getting. The low-light thing is okay, but I have no other camera to compare against. The facial recognition works, but I never use it. It's more trouble than its worth. The Fuji f40fd also takes SD (not XD) which is really awesome.

I will note this, however: Fuji cameras are impossible to find. Yes, you can obviously buy them online like I did, but that also means accessories need to be purchased online as well. I was at a wedding in San Francisco and needed a second Fuji battery since I forgot my charger. I was SOL since no store carries Fuji stuff. This is not the case with Canon.

Lowepro sells a nice case on Amazon that fits the Fuji cameras well, by the way.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i really can't recommend the Canon Digital Elphs enough. any of the Elphs with the Image Stabilization feature (the model names have "IS" in them) are pretty outstanding and take great point-and-shoot pics.

i don't want to sound like a shill, but i love my Canon 800IS, and i think they just released the 840IS.

anyways, check out www.dpreview.com for other good suggestions.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i really can't recommend the Canon Digital Elphs enough. any of the Elphs with the Image Stabilization feature (the model names have "IS" in them) are pretty outstanding and take great point-and-shoot pics.

i don't want to sound like a shill, but i love my Canon 800IS, and i think they just released the 840IS.

anyways, check out www.dpreview.com for other good suggestions.

LFT. I have the same camera (SD800IS) and love it. Nice and small, lightweight, takes great pictures. I've had spectacular luck with Canon digitals. My last one lasted forever (still works), but I upgraded for the bigger display, higher resolution, etc. Also, dpreview.com is a great site, and their reviews are very in-depth, complete with a ton of sample photos taken with the reviewed camera.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was in the market for a new compact camera this summer. Previously, I have been quite unlucky with my cameras, and in the last few years I have wrecked two cameras when camping, snowboarding etc. This time, I figured that I better get a tougher one:

Olympus_770SW_front.jpg

It's an Olympus 770 SW. Waterproof to 10 meters, but can take a lot more. Can survive being dropped from 5 feet. Takes good, but not excellent pictures, and is quite small. No problem fitting in your pocket. The reason I bought this camera is that it is something that can survive being carried around all the time, even without being in a protective case. Might not be what you are looking for, but I find it really nice to have a camera that I know will not break just by being used outdoors...

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't own an ultra compact, but some friends do and I've never been impressed with the quality of photos they get from Sony cameras. A friend who has an ultra compact Canon gets really good pics from it.

Canon also has incredible customer service. Look at Consumerist.com for Canon support and Sony support. I had a problem once with my non-compact Canon and they took great care of me. The only automated part of the call was just telling the system what product I was talking about, then I instantly got a real human being.

If you can afford it, I third going with Image Stabilization. Great for closeups and low light photos.

Reiten on
  • Options
    Butterfly4uButterfly4u Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sweet I just got a Canon.

Butterfly4u on
    Butterfly