Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Holy crap, there's a new Dawn of War Expansion (WH40K)

Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished BovineThe PIT, level 26Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I've scoured the G&T pages for a thread about this and have found nothing, so I've started up one myself.

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War has a new expansion coming out next year - Dawn of War: Soulstorm.

The next installment of Dawn of War will introduce another two new armies to play as - the heretic-hatin', witch purgin', mutant immolatin' Sister of Battle, and the soul stealing, totally creepy Dark Eldar.

IGN has a few screens up showing some of the Dark Eldar's units, including Wyches, Warp Beasts, Haemonculi, and the godsdamned Talos. How cool is that?

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/966/966668/imgs_1.html

Quick preview of what the expansion will bring:

The Sisters of Battle are almost all female, and are essentially warrior nuns for the Inquisiton and the Holy Ecclesiarchy, the Imperial church. They have access to holy weaponry that the grunts of the Imperial Guard, and even the elite Space Marines do not have (expect lots of flame throwers). They'll also use something called Faith (presumably a resource similar to Requisition Points, Plasma Energy, or ork WAAAGH points), which is generated by fielding certain unit types. Sisters can use Faith to call down the wrath of the Emperor of Mankind himself, causing 'Act of God' type stuff to happen - brimstone raining from the sky, stuff like that.

The Dark Eldar are evil Eldar who sold their souls to Chaos an eternity ago, and stave off the hungry god Slaanesh by devouring the souls of other beings. To this end, they launch massive pirate fleets from their inter-dimensional city of Comorragh to raid worlds for slaves and captives. In gameplay, Dark Eldar can gather soul energy from their fallen enemies and cast powerful abilities of their own, like lowering enemy morale (all of it, everywhere at once, apparently) or resetting an enemy's own ability cooldowns.

In addition to the two new-comers, all the existing armies are getting new units - specifically, air units. That's right... the Ork Fightabomba is coming. Watch the skies.

Like the Dark Crusade expansion, there's a campaign mode, which is even bigger and has more to do than DA's planet-wide war. There are new special abilities to unlock, new wargear, and lots more missions. This time around, the campaign will take place across four planets and three moons instead of just a single world.

If this is anything like Dark Crusade, you won't need any of the previous games to play as the Dark Eldar or the Sisters - online and versus play as these races will be available just by installing the expansion. Installing the original game, Winter Assault, and Dark Crusade will allow the other races in those games to go up against the new armies (and you'll probably need them to play the campaign as well). For those of you who love multiplayer, there's gonna be an award system for hitting certain milestones (X number of wins in a row, that sort of thing).



Okay Relic, you've used all the other races. Now get to work on DoW 2 and give us the Tyranids.

kagg_banner.png
Golden Yak on
«13456710

Posts

  • totallytotally Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Epic campaign mode you say? I say oh hells yes. I don't care about being cool online, I like a story. Boo on not being able to find any screens of the Sisters, (perhaps my web-fu is weak) b/c I could really care about some goth elves in space. Relic comes through again in not giving us any god-damned, scary ass, world eating Tyranids. Instead we get more elves. Poop. Sometimes I feel like we are going to see Slann before we ever see 'Nids.

    totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • King_DoucheKing_Douche Registered User
    edited November 2007
    totally wrote: »
    Epic campaign mode you say? I say oh hells yes. I don't care about being cool online, I like a story. Boo on not being able to find any screens of the Sisters, (perhaps my web-fu is weak) b/c I could really care about some goth elves in space. Relic comes through again in not giving us any god-damned, scary ass, world eating Tyranids. Instead we get more elves. Poop. Sometimes I feel like we are going to see Slann before we ever see 'Nids.

    I can't give you the direct website, but I remember the Relic Devs talking about how they would never do the Tyranids in this version of Dawn of War because they felt the system couldn't fully represent the awesome size of the Tyranid Swarm. So, :( for no Nids, but a major :) for having developers working on this thing who actually give a damn about it.

    I'm a huge fan of this game and can't stop playing it. I was hoping for some more Harlequin love (Death Jesters, w00tsauce), but some Sisters and D.E. won't be bad at all. I'm still a little cautious about air units.

    Some Ork Bikes would be nice though.

    King_Douche on
    "METAL IS LIKE FLESH. BOTH CARRY POTENTIAL IN THEIR
    VEINS. WHEN TEMPERED WITH HEAT AND PRESSURE, THE POTENTIAL SURFACES. MY PURPOSE IS TO BRING FORTH THIS POTENTIAL. ALLOW IT EXPRESSION."
  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo Waanderlust Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Well, Dark Crusade did say something about 2007 in the end credits.

    But two MORE races? They are really laying on the balance challenge.

    Bobkins Flymo on
    McdriQR.png
  • RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck yes, Sisters of Battle.

    Rhaka on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Still no tyranids. Fuck this game.

    Crayon on
    "I am conscious of my inability to grasp, in all its details and positive developments, any very large portion of human knowledge."
    X-Box Tag: PrettyGoodCake
    PSN: LLatikuf
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Well, Dark Crusade did say something about 2007 in the end credits.

    But two MORE races? They are really laying on the balance challenge.

    Well if they stick to the actual WAR game rules (which I know little about) from what I understand that shouldent be a problem.

    Also horrary for the game that keeps on giving. I mean I liked it when I had 1 expansion pack, then there was another, but a third? Gotta hand it to the developers, they are really using this game to its full potential.

    Bucketman on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Well, Dark Crusade did say something about 2007 in the end credits.

    But two MORE races? They are really laying on the balance challenge.

    I can see the guy in charge of game balance getting this memo a while back, and just breaking down and sobbing.

    shryke on
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    Still no tyranids. Fuck this game.

    I expect DoW2 to be Tyranids vs everyone. It's the only way they could do them justice, having the campaign the usual clusterfuck of races fighting over a planet except the planet happens to be right in the way of a hive fleet and gets devoured over the course of the campaign.

    -SPI- on
    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sick! air units. Hit-and-run anyone?

    DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • totallytotally Registered User
    edited November 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    Still no tyranids. Fuck this game.

    I expect DoW2 to be Tyranids vs everyone. It's the only way they could do them justice, having the campaign the usual clusterfuck of races fighting over a planet except the planet happens to be right in the way of a hive fleet and all the other races get devoured over the course of the campaign.

    Fixed

    totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another one? Holy shit.

    Dark Eldar are sort of yucky.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User
    edited November 2007
    The DoW guys explicitly stated back when they first released the original DoW that they would NEVER create a Tyranid army, simply because they couldn't possibly think of any way to do it justice.

    Even though I'm pretty sure I could think of a way to do it justice (the base is some creature growing underground, as you 'build' buildings it grows a new part which sticks up out of the ground), the fact remains that they're not ever going to add the 'Nids.

    EddieDean on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The DoW engine sure is getting dated; I would have expected a sequel announcement by now.


    That said, I hope Company of Heroes gets this many expansons.

    Ant000 on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    EddieDean wrote: »
    The DoW guys explicitly stated back when they first released the original DoW that they would NEVER create a Tyranid army, simply because they couldn't possibly think of any way to do it justice.

    Even though I'm pretty sure I could think of a way to do it justice (the base is some creature growing underground, as you 'build' buildings it grows a new part which sticks up out of the ground), the fact remains that they're not ever going to add the 'Nids.

    Hence why I never bothered to buy any of the expansions. I bought DoW, enjoyed it, then realized they would never release the 'nids and gave up.

    Crayon on
    "I am conscious of my inability to grasp, in all its details and positive developments, any very large portion of human knowledge."
    X-Box Tag: PrettyGoodCake
    PSN: LLatikuf
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have DoW and all the expansions. It is easily my favorite game and I think it still looks good. I hope the new expansion sticks with the Risk-style map introduced in Dark Crusade, because that worked really well. I've never been a fan of the Eldar, so Dark Eldar doesn't really do it for me, but they'll make good enemies. The DoW series is unique, because it's the first time a developer has gotten a Warhammer game right and continue to get it right.

    Personally, I wish they would bring back the Space Dorfs from the original Rogue Trader rulebook, but I know that's a touchy issue for GW. :D

    Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dark Crusade was a great expansion. Even though the Necrons were broken as fuck.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    The DoW engine sure is getting dated; I would have expected a sequel announcement by now.


    That said, I hope Company of Heroes gets this many expansons.

    Outdated? Isn't the game barely 2 years old? O.o

    Henroid on
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DoW is hardly outdated.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's awesome that expansions keep rolling out for this game, but I hope Relic is working on a true sequel. Maybe Epic scale with Tyranids?

    Avenrosh on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    EddieDean wrote: »
    The DoW guys explicitly stated back when they first released the original DoW that they would NEVER create a Tyranid army, simply because they couldn't possibly think of any way to do it justice.

    Even though I'm pretty sure I could think of a way to do it justice (the base is some creature growing underground, as you 'build' buildings it grows a new part which sticks up out of the ground), the fact remains that they're not ever going to add the 'Nids.

    Hence why I never bothered to buy any of the expansions. I bought DoW, enjoyed it, then realized they would never release the 'nids and gave up.

    You're missing out, the expansions are amazing. Vastly better than the original, and that's saying something.

    EddieDean on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    EddieDean wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    EddieDean wrote: »
    The DoW guys explicitly stated back when they first released the original DoW that they would NEVER create a Tyranid army, simply because they couldn't possibly think of any way to do it justice.

    Even though I'm pretty sure I could think of a way to do it justice (the base is some creature growing underground, as you 'build' buildings it grows a new part which sticks up out of the ground), the fact remains that they're not ever going to add the 'Nids.

    Hence why I never bothered to buy any of the expansions. I bought DoW, enjoyed it, then realized they would never release the 'nids and gave up.

    You're missing out, the expansions are amazing. Vastly better than the original, and that's saying something.
    This is true.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    While I'm happy to get more DoW, I am concerned about a couple of things. Firstly, I read somewhere that this expansion wasn't actually being developed by Relic, but rather some other company. Secondly, the fact that both new races have their own resources, Faith and Souls respectively. Now if they handled it properly, i.e. Dark Eldar get more souls the more enemy they kill, and Sisters get a certain amount of Faith upon unit creation, then the same amount when the unit Dies, then all would be well and good. However, in the 1 preview I have read, they pretty much said that sister would basically "buy" faith with requisition, which seems a little "meh".

    Oh well. Bigger campaign wooo!

    Asher on
    Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)
    "Leapin' and Hoppin' on a Warpshadow" - Mah Nids
    The Swordwind Rises! - Biel Tan. All Aspects. All the time.
    "Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to the developers, they are really milking this game to its full moneymaking potential.

    think i fixed the part you were struggling with there

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zarcath on
  • edited November 2007
    Dark Eldar, bleh, and Another Imperial Army, bleh.

    Bring on Dawn of War 2.

    bongi on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Relic should make Company of Heroes: Modern Warfare.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Though my skills at this game could charitably be described as sucktacular, I really want this expansion if for no other reason than the increased awesomization of an already awesome campaign mode.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Though my skills at this game could charitably be described as sucktacular, I really want this expansion if for no other reason than the increased awesomization of an already awesome campaign mode.

    I'm in the same boat. I'm craptacular at any multiplayer, but I love me some Dark Crusade campaign mode.

    captaink on
    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: GaderenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hate to be one of those macrofags who comes into a thread just to shit on a game announcement, but this time it is really warranted. Dark Crusade was a good expansion- added two unique races that were uber fun to play. This expansion pack picks the two least interesting races possible and adds... air units!!! And yeah, balance for DC was sketchy at best and I'm pretty sure it can only go down hill from here.

    Coming from someone who absolutely loves all iterations of DOW, JUST LET IT DIE.
    also i heard the dev team called you guys jerks!

    DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

    https://medium.com/@alascii
  • totallytotally Registered User
    edited November 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to the developers, they are really milking this game to its full moneymaking potential.

    think i fixed the part you were struggling with there

    Well, yes. But they know I will buy it. And I will squeeze every last milky drop of fun out of it. Still a whole lot cheaper than say; fielding an actual TT army. Easier clean up too.

    totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So does anyone still play dawn of war? I got a new computer and I am thinking about getting back into it.

    rts on
    skype: rtschutter
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Whoa, awesome. I am stoked to play the Sisters.

    I just bought this over Steam, because I'm stoked that it's on there. Do you still need Hamachi to play over Steam? That would be really, really stupid.

    Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User
    edited December 2007
    One of my favorite RTS's of all time, but it feels dated. They need to make another from scratch, then we'll talk.

    I'll be waiting.

    whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    WHAT!? Holy shit!

    Lucky Cynic on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just crushed the IG with my undying necron horde, again.
    Damnit, how can a simple RTS be this enjoyable? Oh yeah, killer robots that serve star devouring dark gods.

    I have to wonder if the new expansion will try to take some of the rules and ideas from Warhammer Apocalypse with increasing army size and giving really cool special abilities to large groups of units.

    For example:
    Necron Monolith Phalanx
    Tau Rapid Insertion Force
    IG Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company

    And more

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Considering its being primarily developed by a studio that isn't Relic, the only reason I would find that acceptable is if Relic themselves are too busy making Dawn of War 2 to do the third DoW expansion themselves, and its being made just to tide people over till DoW2 comes out with crazy awesome Tyranid action. If this isn't the case, I will be highly disappointed. I need me some DoW2.

    eelektrik on
    steam_sig.png
  • FieryBalrogFieryBalrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought the Platinum edition a couple months back and I've been occasionally messing around in the campaign and skirmish mode. Damn fun game so far, I hope to go online sometime. Are there still people playing online regularly?

    FieryBalrog on
    In Koprulu Sector, marines micro YOU!
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Until a month or so ago the Game On thread was alive and kicking, I think the Vent room is still there. I'm a mediocre player against other people, in the games I mostly served as a (slight) speed bump against the better PAers.

    That being said I've some time tomorrow to get some play in... Anyone interested in a game or two at, say, 24 hours from now? (noon eastern)

    A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • FieryBalrogFieryBalrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think I'm free around that time, however I'm absolutely a newbie, I have no idea what half of the upgrades do and I'm even more clueless playing anything other than Space Marines :P

    FieryBalrog on
    In Koprulu Sector, marines micro YOU!
  • Tom AtoTom Ato Registered User
    edited December 2007
    I'm a huge fan of Warhammer 40k, and I have a Space Marine army of my own. So it should be obvious that I love Dawn of War and I fell particularly in love with Dark Crusade's campaign mode.

    My little hope is that with Soulstorm, that they get a new narrator for the campaign. The guy in Dark Crusade sounds weird. He has a strange habit of putting emphasis on words when it isn't actually necessary.

    So, you know who we need as a narrator? Tom Baker, man.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiM8drnIR0Y

    His talents were wasted on the terribly lame excuse for a game also known as Fire Warrior.

    Tom Ato on
«13456710
Sign In or Register to comment.