As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy crap, there's a new Dawn of War Expansion (WH40K)

• Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, I just went back and looked them all over.

Eldar - Nightwing
    Space Marine - Land Speeder Tempest
    Chaos Space Marine - Hell Talon
    Ork - Fighta-Bomma
    Imperial Guard - Marauder Bomber
    Tau - Barracuda
    Necron - ???

Uh, land speeders and falcons aren't air troops. You can still hit them with melee and can only fly in short bursts and need to recharge the ability.

But they do seem rather uninspired.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goomba wrote: »

Eldar - Nightwing
    Ork - Fighta-Bomma
    Tau - Barracuda
    Necron - ???

Uh, land speeders and falcons aren't air troops. You can still hit them with melee and can only fly in short bursts and need to recharge the ability.

They just hover in midair, they're not using thunderhawks for the SM, and Necrons don't even get anything?

This sounds rather... dumb. I think I would have preferred just another "normal" unit for each.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess they ignore terrain? I wonder if they have the whole Starcraft rock/paper/scissors where only certain units can attack them, etc.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

Eldar - Nightwing
    Ork - Fighta-Bomma
    Tau - Barracuda
    Necron - ???

They just hover in midair, they're not using thunderhawks for the SM, and Necrons don't even get anything?

This sounds rather... dumb. I think I would have preferred just another "normal" unit for each.
    They didn't list anything for the necrons, but they say that the old races all get new air units, so I dunno.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You'd have to be pretty bad to let your LS or falcon get killed by melee anyway. Its just pointless. It doesn't fit with the whole dynamic, especially when pretty much everybody has guns.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Necron Unit: Tombship.

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    You'd have to be pretty bad to let your LS or falcon get killed by melee anyway. Its just pointless. It doesn't fit with the whole dynamic, especially when pretty much everybody has guns.
    Uh.

If you say so, I guess.

I don't know if the Dark Eldar air unit should hover or not, but I know the LS does and no one has a problem with it, so I don't see why the Tempest shouldn't hover. They haven't shown any other air units, so they might move. Or not.

Honestly, I'd rather have them in one place versus what GC did. It's just plain easier to select them.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm pretty much a poser when it comes to WH40k lore, but do Necrons even have 'air" units? It looks like pretty much all the have is land units and spacecraft. Maybe they get a new land unit or some shit.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    august wrote: »
    I'm pretty much a poser when it comes to WH40k lore, but do Necrons even have 'air" units? It looks like pretty much all the have is land units and spacecraft. Maybe they get a new land unit or some shit.
    According to the keydefaults.lua, they get the Deceiver.

Also, SoB get servitor, battle sister, seraphim, repentia, celestian, missionary, assassin, canoness, confessor, celestian magifer, repentia mistress veteran superior, veteran superior celestian , veteran superior seraphim, living saint, exorcist tank, immolator tank, penitent engine, rhino, and lightning.

SM get techmarines.

CSM get Chaos Dreadnaughts.

Orkz get gun wagons.

Eldar get wraithguard.

Tau get piranha.

Imperial Guard get demolisher.

And goddamnit you fuckers better appreciate that. That took at least 5 minutes for the sisters alone.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    wow.
    awesome.

the Deciever, Techmarine and Demolisher have me intrigued.
    edit: and with gun wagons orks will probably now be the shootiest race of all

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Also IG get some neat upgrades. "guard_multi_laser_sentinel" and "guard_autocannon_sentinel". I don't know what those could reference to, though.

Marines have a "blessing of the omnissiah" spell.

Chaos have a "blood rage" (Or rage. I think one of those are new. DoA would know.) and "biotoxin".

Eldar get a "soulstone" thing.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I appreciate it. Demolishers! Yay! Wraithguard! Yay! I guess the Living Saint is the SoBs super weapon.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also, you should probably take this all with a grain of salt. There's still a large chance that these things aren't actually in the game.

SoB get some neat sounding spells. And krak grenades, like IG.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So is this another stand alone expansion or what?

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I can't help but feel my excitement rising

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Wonder what kind of assassin that assassin is.

august on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It just got interesting again!

Mostly cause I desperately want to use gunwagons and the Deciever.

I still think it would have been awesomest if they had granted each army a new "war engine", but I can't imagine how that would actually work, since even the smallest dwarfs the squiggoth, which has enough pathfinding issues already.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I guess having one C'Tan on the battlefield wasn't good enough.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    august wrote: »
    Wonder what kind of assassin that assassin is.
    The kind that has the ability to cloak.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    <3 Penitent engine.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I played it. It was ok, nothing to write home about. It would have been better for things to be set at normal default because it was too easy.... I did like that my unit AI was much improved and didn't have to be babysat nearly as much.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I'm going to just go with the Sisters' assassin being an Eversor. The other two are a pysker and a shapeshifter, neither fit into a role of just having the ability to cloak. That or Death-Cult. Probably Death Cult.

Oh, I just realized that I left the SoB turret out. It's pretty cool sounding.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goomba wrote:
    Oh, and Canem, they die that way in the demo. I don't even want to know how they work in the real game. I mean, I accidentally put them in the line of a second upgrade LP and by the time they moved away half of them died. Keep in mind I moved them as soon as they got fired on and it's easy mode.

Thats fine with me man. I'm glad actually.

I'd be super disapointed if DE were overpowered after having masochistically played IG for so long, its good to see they have their weaknesses too.

Edit: Wow I just played the demo.

"A bigger cage! I cant even see the bars..."

Awesome.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Goomba wrote:
    Oh, and Canem, they die that way in the demo. I don't even want to know how they work in the real game. I mean, I accidentally put them in the line of a second upgrade LP and by the time they moved away half of them died. Keep in mind I moved them as soon as they got fired on and it's easy mode.

I'd be super disapointed if DE were overpowered after having masochistically played IG for so long.
    Fuck you and fuck your IG.

So should I go to the work of translating all of the SoB spells? I will if anyone wants me to and I probably will anyway but if someone wants me to I'll not put it off even though I could probably just google it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ascension, Divine Light, Divine Retribution, Emperors Touch, Holy Passion, Ardent Flame, Battle Standard, Lay Hands, Conflagration, Divine Pronouncement, Holy Rage, Mandate, Righteous Fervor, Seal of Purity, Witch Hammer, Worship, Rosarius, Laud Hailer, Angelic Visage, Dismantle. Bold use faith. I think Divine Faith might, too.

Hk missiles, Krak grenades, Phosphor grenades.

Also I found some pictures of the game I think they look neat.
    smfc1fj0.jpg
    chaoslord1cu6.jpg
    igcaptain1dv5.jpg

And apparently faith is gained by "Worship at a Listening Post to gain the Faith resource. Select your Missionary Squad and right-click on a Listening Post to begin worshipping." and Canonesses.

Jeeeeez, I found a lot of information in the form of tooltips. Like the assassin that the sisters get. Woop woop woop.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh.. I guess that was Lukas since they bothered to do a new face model for IG commander. :(

Also, Fred.

I look forward to SoB since I hate Eldar anything though that gnarly claw the DE commander has is nice. I'm pretty rubbish at my economy for anything other than Necron.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    Oh.. I guess that was Lukas since they bothered to do a new face model for IG commander. :(

Also, Fred.

I look forward to SoB since I hate Eldar anything though that gnarly claw the DE commander has is nice. I'm pretty rubbish at my economy for anything other than Necron.
    Well, he either died or he's a mayor or whatever.

But hey on the plus side the new kroot units sound pretty top notch. Also the Deceiver sounds like a giant cunt but hey at least you can damage him.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Holy crap? Autocannon Sentinals? My prayers are answered, praise the Emperor. Now all I'm waiting for are heavy flamer Sentinals and flamer weapons for the guardsmen.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, obviously you can't try it in the demo, but (if I'm not mistaken) the text for Rekindle Rage sounds interesting: It says allied unit. Which could mean from a teammate...

... which leads me to wonder about the possibility of 4 minutes of Nightbringer death upon a base.

Maybe there are other, better, combos hidden there...

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Farseer Caerys will continue to take damage, but will not die while the Soulstone ability is active.

Farseer Caerys will continue to take damage, but will not die while the Soulstone ability is active.

GODDAMNIT

Oh and there's supply lines and it takes time to recruit units int he campaign, it seems.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Each one of us that falls,ten more will take his place. And have plasma rifles next time!

Sents have had the option in the lua files for flamers and autocannons since WA,but they never put them in. Its about damn time! mmmm flamers.

Vytae on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    <insert pic of new chaos leader>

Damn it, this guy better not be as bad as the first two chaos leaders. This game needs more Eliphas.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Vytae wrote: »
    Each one of us that falls,ten more will take his place. And have plasma rifles next time!

Sents have had the option in the lua files for flamers and autocannons since WA,but they never put them in. Its about damn time! mmmm flamers.
    It's still from the .lua.

Like I said, I doubt any of this "cool" stuff is going to make it in. There's only voices for the air units, no kroot units or wraithguard or piranhas or chaos dreads, etc. Even some SoB abilities have different names. Don't get your hopes up for anything other than air units, Dark Eldar, and Sisters of Battle.

I did see some stuff on the heroes of the campaign and I'm pretty sure that they are correct because in every instance it's the same. I don't know the chaos lord's name, though, or the Necron.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    canemaquiluscanemaquilus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goomba wrote:

I'd be super disapointed if DE were overpowered after having masochistically played IG for so long.

ITT: Goomba subtly suggests a slight dislike of my IG tactics.

Also having played through the second mission of dark eldar, I'll say they really got the feel of them right.
    They definitely need to give all their tanks jumping ability though... really badly... and uhh... fix some of the pathfinding...

Curse their demo for instilling an unfulfillable need in me.

Edit: Still way the fuck too excited for this. The next two months will be miserable.

canemaquilus on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Very much looking forward to playing the SoB. They may just replace my beloved SM.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can't tell if this is going to suck or be awesome.

I really can't.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That was so cruel. Goomba got me from 0 excitement to 100 and back to 0 again with about 5 posts.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    That was so cruel. Goomba got me from 0 excitement to 100 and back to 0 again with about 5 posts.
    Honestly, they might be in the game. I have no idea. The people that made the game have yet to deny it, as far as I know, but they haven't confirmed it, either. Right now I'm hoping for those units but not expecting them. But at least SoB sound awesome.

Oh, another thing, you can auto-reinforce captains/sergeants/Exarchs/etc. I like that mainly because jesus fuck it's about goddamn time.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Honestly, they might be in the game. I have no idea. The people that made the game have yet to deny it, as far as I know, but they haven't confirmed it, either. Right now I'm hoping for those units but not expecting them. But at least SoB sound awesome.

Goomba? You just said that something that wasn't Eldar sounded awesome.

Are you feeling ok?

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »

Goomba? You just said that something that wasn't Eldar sounded awesome.

Are you feeling ok?
    I haven't played in awhile, right now even Dark Eldar feel cool.

Dark Eldar.

I just like the new faith/soul thing they have going. Both seem wildly, numbingly easy to get. Souls have farms, faith you get from having your worthless cap/scout units pray at LPs or building units with halos that generate faith just by being. You get an ability to get faith when those units die.

But seriously, fuck soulstorm, the spell. Cast anywhere, no matter what, and mobile? AND dastardly high damage? Not that it would really matter to me, since I'll be busy hanging out in the webway, but come the fuck on. Not to mention dias's ability that can be used twice in a row. Urg.

Oh, oh there was some stuff on the campaign and I think that the first thing I'm going to do is either be Tau or wipe them out because they seem to something something something.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]