As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Orcs & Elves: Not Free Doom

RichardTauberRichardTauber KvltRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
mob304_1173868458.jpg
Orcs & Elves is the title of a cellular phone video game, developed by John Carmack and Fountainhead Entertainment, produced by id Software and published by EA Mobile. The game is based on Doom RPG's engine, and id's first original intellectual property since Quake.

The game is described as an adventure-RPG, in which the protagonist, a young elf, must retake a Dwarven city from the evil army occupying it. Your character is equipped initially only with a sentient, talking magic wand and a sword, but other weapons are available to the protagonist. Many items are also available for use or purchase from a dragon who serves as vendor. Among these is Dwarven Ale, which increases strength and defense, but damages accuracy and also affects the player's view, causing the world to appear as it would if one were, in fact, actually drunk.

Later in the game there are traps and switches that can be activated. There are also locked doors which require 4 coloured runes to be entered. Shortly into the game you will encounter a female dragon, who acts as your friend. She keeps goats in her pen and has access to many portals which teleport you to each different level. Each level is linked to another, so it's like one massive level broken into sections, rather then the linear levels in the early Doom series.

A port of this game, with several enhancements, has been released on the Nintendo DS. It has 3D graphics for certain creatures and walls, and 2D wolfenstein-esque sprites for most monsters. There are several elements in the game, and different spells do different damage depending on the creature. You can also repair armor yourself, instead of the Doom equivalent: collecting armor shards. There are three difficulty settings, the latter of which will ask you if you're readily prepared. One of the options in that case is "I'm too young to die", a common phrase recognizable by Doom fans. A sequel, titled Orcs & Elves II, is also in the works for mobile phones.

Screenshots!
carmackjprogramming.jpg

Sorry, couldn't find any good ones.

A mighty fine throwback to d&d by somebody called Carmack. Apparently he's a celebrity. I'm picking this up tomorrow. Anyone else picked it up?

(this has been my first try at creating threads)

RichardTauber on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is out on the DS? I've not played the original, but heard very good things. I may have to give it a shot, thanks for the heads up. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    This is out on the DS? I've not played the original, but heard very good things. I may have to give it a shot, thanks for the heads up. :)

It's out in Europe at least. Don't know about the other side of the pond.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hear Carmack does this sort of shit for fun (programming stuff for portable devices). Like, that's how the Doom RPG was created, he was bored one day and decided to see what he could do.

Either way, this actually doesn't look half bad and it's worth picking up just to see.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

What?! Europe always gets the best things!

urahonky on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

What?! Europe always gets the best things!

:lol:

... D:

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought this on Wednesday at Wal-Mart (got the bonus wand-shaped stylus) along with my copy of Crysis.

I'm really enjoying it; I've actually put more time into this than I have Crysis, but that's mainly due to the fact that my DS goes with me everywhere, while my desktop is homebound.

In fact, I like it so much (never having played a game of this style before) that I started a thread here last night asking for recommendations on where I can get some more dungeon crawling done. ;)

I thought about starting a thread just for this, but I'm not a very good OP'er.

The only problem I think I'm going to have with Orcs & Elves is that it's going to be over too soon. Just looking at the map and the "portal room" that takes you to the different levels of the dungeon, I know I'm almost done with the game.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, here are some screens from the DS version...source is the official site:

ss01.jpg

ss02.jpg

ss04.jpg

ss07.jpg

ss08.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Wedge BiggsWedge Biggs Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I have this on my cell phone. decent time waster, but don't expect different classes, races, spells, etc. Good time waster, but that's about it.

Wedge Biggs on
    I ain't never crossed a man who didn't deserve it. - Artis Ivey Jr.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    THAT RAM IS GOING DOWN

OR MAYBE IT'S A GOAT

august on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I have this on my cell phone. decent time waster, but don't expect different classes, races, spells, etc. Good time waster, but that's about it.
    The DS version has a bunch of spells.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »
    THAT RAM IS GOING DOWN

OR MAYBE IT'S A GOAT

ProTip:
    Kill a sheep, and it turns into a pre-cooked chunk of meat that you can eat to recover health. I'm not sure how. Maybe the flaming sword? I dunno.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been playing it for a little while so far. At first it looked lame but I decided to give it a chance because it kinda reminded me of might and magic or dungeon master.

Anyway I like it a lot. It's really goofy old school fun, which is what I've been craving lately. I like the touch screen controls for picking items and things. Makes it much less clunky and more streamlined. The story is typical fantasy fare so far, but that's not really a bad thing. I'm always looking for good excuses to beat the shit out of orcs and barter with dragons.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hate the labyrinth, damned wererat. Anyway, got this game today, awesome, nice little time waster.

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121