As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii or Xbox 360?

LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm probably going to get myself one or the other as a reward for passing this semester. Which do you guys prefer?

The Wii's controller appeals to me, as does its (theoretically) lower pricetag and the Mario and Zelda games for it. On the other hand it's apparently still hard to obtain and I'm not sure that a novel control system constiutes lasting appeal.

I like what I hear about the 360's internet functionality and games like Halo and Gears of War sound good to me. Also I could actually find a 360. On the other hand I hear widespread rumors about consistent hardware failure and the pricetag is higher.

So basically- are there much better games for one or the other console? Are they both backward compatible? Has anyone had specific problems with one or the other? Any other advice?

Lykouragh on

• Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Depends, do you like to play for a while or just pick it up whenever for a little bit.

360 is more for playing long term, and wii is pick and play here and there, there are some games that are exceptions ofcourse.

variant on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    360 if you can make sure you're getting a falcon. i think it has a decent base of good games, backwards compat for older excellent titles, the whole xbla swath of games, great online features, and 2 years of experience.

the wii is still too new... something's gonna change that you'll want down the road

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The 360 is great for playing by yourself or over the Internet. The Wii is more social; it has multiplayer games that are supposed to be played with other people who are in the same room. So it does a better job of entertaining groups of people than the 360.

I ended up choosing 360 over Wii because the games for 360 are far superior to those for Wii in almost every sense. Unless you are buying the console for specific titles - a decision of questionable reasonableness, definitely - there really is no reason to buy a Wii besides the lower price of the console itself.

ege02 on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just look at the games and which appeal to you more. I just became a consumer whore and got both.
    It's awesome.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    yorikatlyorikatl Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    haha

My crazy uncle just tried answering a ps3 vs 360 question on his advice column. I'm fairly certain he's insane, but I don't have the heart to tell him so.

IMO - I second the social/solo element. If you're going to be a social player with your buds, go with the WII, if not, 360.

yorikatl on
    Advice from an insane man - The Advice Hut
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I own a Wii, and I'd much rather own a 360.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i am frowning so hard at this thread :(

look, i own a Wii and i would not want to get a 360. why? because i like the games on the Wii much better than on any other system, and i personally feel that the kind of games that are out for the 360 (and to a lesser extent the PS3) can be found for the PC (which i've already got) and are not superior to those on the Wii. there are lots of games for the Wii which simply wouldn't be possible on other systems.

but really it comes down to what you personally like and what kind of gaming style you prefer.

third parties are realizing they need to actually develop games for the Wii rather than just bring over bad ports; the "longevity" of the Wii isn't in doubt because devs are moving to support the Wii. if you like online gaming, you aren't going to get such a good experience with the Wii; friend codes do suck, and Live is definitely better for an online experience. however, if you have lots of friends that game with you IRL, the system is ridiculously awesome (i've gotten hours of amusement with friends from Wii Sports alone). if you like FPS, the control system is also ridiculously awesome, but you won't get the HD-type graphics on the 360 or the PS3. for backwards compatibility, the Wii beats everything out hands down, as it plays every Gamecube game and has an amazing selection of older games through the Virtual Console. the 360 does have Live Arcade, but that's not exactly "backwards compatibility"; also, the 360 can't play all older XBox titles (here's the list).

something else you have to consider: do you have an HDTV that can take advantage of HD? if not, are you going to get an HDTV to take advantage of the higher resolution (for any of the systems)?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sit down and write a list of all games that you might want to buy sometimes in the systems lifespan. Mark all the games that you have a special interest in, like Mario Galaxy or Halo 3. Take a look at your list and count the number of games you listed under both consoles. Purchase the system with the most games under its name.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When I first got into college, was only taking a few classes, not working and had no major commitments, the 360 was great for me. All the downtime I had could be killed playing games with long campaigns and harder difficulties. Now that I'm employed, taking over a full load of classes, and have a wedding next month, the 360 gathers dust and the Wii gets used at least every other day. Pick up and play games fit into my schedule better now than things like Mass Effect and the like. I have yet to get more than a third of the way through Bioshock simply because I rarely have time to sit down and game for more than 20 minutes. But that's enough time to play a few 'bouts of tennis or some WarioWare.

In conclusion, if you have a lot of time to kill gaming, the 360 is grand... But if you just want something you can play in short bursts I feel the Wii is better.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think Im pretty much just echoing what others have said, but here is my two cents. My friend had a 360 we would play, and I now own a wii, so I've seen both worlds. The 360 was great when all we had to worry about was playing videogames. But now I've got a job, 16 hours at college, and a fiance, and I love my wii. The wii is great for picking up and playing, but some titles (I actually liked Red Steel a lot) can provide enough interest for good "sit down and play" time. Also, I love the wii simply because of the social aspect, which has already been mentioned. It is something my fiance, who doesnt really like to play videogames, can do together.

Also, I am not sure about Microsoft customer service, but if something goes wrong with your wii (like happened with me), Nintendo is very helpful in fixing it.

Guffrey on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    The 360 is great for playing by yourself or over the Internet. The Wii is more social; it has multiplayer games that are supposed to be played with other people who are in the same room. So it does a better job of entertaining groups of people than the 360.

I ended up choosing 360 over Wii because the games for 360 are far superior to those for Wii in almost every sense. Unless you are buying the console for specific titles - a decision of questionable reasonableness, definitely - there really is no reason to buy a Wii besides the lower price of the console itself.

This is truth. The 360 is much more of a gaming console, the Wii is a much more social with friends console... and there's nothing wrong with either type of gaming, it's just a different focus... if you'll have a bunch of non-fps-gaming friends over, a Wii will probably be more fun

I don't totally agree with the timing issue - one of the best things about the 360 for me has been the XBLA, which has some amazing games for 5-30 minute gaming sessions (though it's admittedly mostly puzzle-type games for me)... but for "real games" (bioshock/mass effect/etc etc) the 360 has an obvious advantage.

As for the 360 hardware - if it's a non-recent (i.e., non-updated-cooling system) system, it'll probably have the overheating->red ring of death at some point, but unless you treat it horribly it'll probably take 6 months to a year to get a problem, at which point it's a few weeks to get a replacement... the new ones seem to have largely fixed the problem

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, if you haven't played much of the gamecube or original Xbox lineups, they both have those. Though the Wii runs all gamecube games while the 360 does not necessarily run all the xbox games...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Something else to consider: do you have friends with systems? If you have a friend with a Wii, you don't need one. If any friends still have 360s, they want you to have one too because of Live and 8-16 players GoW and Halo gatherings.

If you have friends with neither, it is a matter of what kind of games you want. I have a 360 and it's not impressed me too much: the few unique games are just meh FPS's, and anything good can be also had on the PC (or is better on the PC, like the Orange Box), etc. On the other hand, some of the arcade games are nice. I wouldn't want a Wii because motion sensor just doesn't do it for me and most of the games are too narrow.

XBox for games you want to play a lot, and for FPS's. Wii for hoppity, platformy, silly games. I'm not sure what call I'd make for anything else (RPGs, for instance).

Etelmik on
  • Options
    sec471sec471 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it's up to you that what kinds of games you want

sec471 on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just to clarify on the point of online gaming, it's true that the 360's online component is certainly more robust than the Wii's. However, it isn't like the Wii has no online games. It actually has several, and some of them are quite fun. Super Mario Strikers is an excellent online soccer game, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is apparently a lot of fun online (and supports 32-person multiplayer games using EA's online service, which means no friend codes), and Battallion Wars 2 has a pretty cool online component as well if you like the action/strategy gameplay it offers. These are just to name a few, and there are many more to come.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to use friend codes to play online, just for playing against specific people. Yes, the 360 handles this better probably, but it isn't that big of a deal. Basically, don't think you'll be getting shafted with multiplayer if you get a Wii - it's there, and more online games are coming out for it every month.

In any case, I don't agree with this whole sentiment that the 360 is the "gamer's console" or whatever that means. People make it seem like there's nothing but shovelware and party games on the Wii, and this is just not the case (not to say that all party games are bad either, but many seem to associate all party games with shovelware for some reason). There are great games for the Wii, just like there are great games for the 360. There is no blanket statement that cover each console's library. You just have to look at what's available for each console and make an informed decision about which one has more games that look interesting to you.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sit down and write a list of all games that you might want to buy sometimes in the systems lifespan. Mark all the games that you have a special interest in, like Mario Galaxy or Halo 3. Take a look at your list and count the number of games you listed under both consoles. Purchase the system with the most games under its name.

Ideal strategy.

The 360 has a ton of games I'd love to have. Orange Box, CoD 2 through 4, Lost Planet, Halo 3, Shadowrun, the list goes on.

Wii won out, though.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have had a Wii for nearly a year now. It’s mostly a novelty, and sits around collecting dust. Very little time passes before one realizes that shaking the controller isn’t really a revolution in game play. Mario Galaxy? Sorry man, I can just play Mario 64 and not have to deal with those awful minigame levels that were leftover from that crummy Wii Wario game.

I sure would like to be playing Assassin’s Creed, Bioshock, and the inevitable Street Fighter HD and Street Fighter 4 on the 360, tho. Not to mention the great racing games. Or Blue Dragon. I have no idea why the fuck my boyfriend thought I wanted a damned Wi…

supabeast on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I own both. I get a lot more millage out of my Xbox right now, mainly because I'm currently playing the crap out of Rock Band and Assassin's Creed.

That being said, I wouldn't give my Wii up for the world, and there's games on it that I spend/spent hours and days on.

If you're buying purely for the single player and/or online multiplayer, buy a 360. If you want some really awesome party games, and great social fun with local multiplayer, with a few great single player games, get the Wii.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I made the same choice a while ago, and I did it by going to my mates with those consoles and trying them both for an afternoon/evening. Sounds stupid, but after a few hours of Wii'ing I realised that I enjoyed the games, but it wasn't really clicking with me - it was fun but not great. On the 360 on the other hand, I spent a few hours with it and I was completely engrossed. I wanted to own that machine no matter how unreliable people were telling me it was or that it was a MS product. Before those days, I had absolutely no idea which one I wanted.

So I can only recommend you try them out for a decent while at a friends place. Worked for me.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    supabeast wrote: »
    I have had a Wii for nearly a year now. It’s mostly a novelty, and sits around collecting dust. Very little time passes before one realizes that shaking the controller isn’t really a revolution in game play. Mario Galaxy? Sorry man, I can just play Mario 64 and not have to deal with those awful minigame levels that were leftover from that crummy Wii Wario game.

I sure would like to be playing Assassin’s Creed, Bioshock, and the inevitable Street Fighter HD and Street Fighter 4 on the 360, tho. Not to mention the great racing games. Or Blue Dragon. I have no idea why the fuck my boyfriend thought I wanted a damned Wi…

so, uh, yeah. this is the kind of post that i would be frowning about :(

the other posts about trying out the different systems if friends have them and/or listing what games you're interested in and going from there? good advice.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    supabeast wrote: »

so, uh, yeah. this is the kind of post that i would be frowning about :(

the other posts about trying out the different systems if friends have them and/or listing what games you're interested in and going from there? good advice.

It's simply an opinion, which I also hold, the only reason I hold back from mentioning it in threads like these is because it starts flame wars as there are people on here that are really biased about it.

variant on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think most of the important points have already been made, but I'd like to reiterate what I think needs to be said. Most importantly, you need to look at what you want in a game system.

If you want a system for social gatherings and party games, the Wii is the best there is (although the 360 has Rock Band). The 360, on the other hand, has much more robust online multiplayer (although the Wii is getting better).

The 360 has the XBLA with lots of great original titles and a steady stream of classic games redone in gorgeous HD, whereas the Wii has a larger selection of old games with the VC (including all your favorite Nintendo exclusives), along with the promise of Wii Ware in the future.

The single-player offerings are also fairly different. I hate to generalize, but the 360 is the system you get if you want 60-hour epics and brilliant action titles. The Wii doesn't have as many immersive and engrossing experiences as the 360, but it does appear to have more variety in the genres its AAA titles span. Rather than just listening to me spew out rhetoric, though, compare the game lists. Both have lots of great games, both currently available and coming out soon. November has been a hell of a month for both systems. It all depends on what you like to play.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games on the 360 are usually more deep than what you will (currently) find on the Wii. They will also look a shitload better. And no, the Wii doesn't look terrible or anything, but it can't come close to the 360.

Keep in mind it'll be a lot easier to get a 360 anyhow, as the Wii is still apparently in short supply. I say get a 360 now, then get a Wii when the ratio of shovelware to good games is better.

Magus` on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    look, i own a Wii and i would not want to get a 360. why? because i like the games on the Wii much better than on any other system, and i personally feel that the kind of games that are out for the 360 (and to a lesser extent the PS3) can be found for the PC (which i've already got) and are not superior to those on the Wii. there are lots of games for the Wii which simply wouldn't be possible on other systems.

I am frowning SO HARD at that post :(

I own both and the Wii is collecting dust in the corner. Off the top of my head, Mass Effect leaps to mind as being an XBox exclusive that's excellent. The assumption that he has a monster computer that can run the PC ports of XBox games like Bioshock is also pretty bad, and the statement "I don't own such and such system and I know for a fact I don't like its games" is ridiculous

BlochWave on
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually, I bought a console in order NOT to have to play games on the PC anymore. I was sick of upgrading every year - the 360 cost less than what it usually cost me to upgrade, and is going to be a more stable performer throughout its lifetime. So having the same games available on the PC platform is not much of a downer for me - it's a plus, since I know I won't be missing out on them.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BlochWave wrote: »
    I am frowning SO HARD at that post :(

I own both and the Wii is collecting dust in the corner. Off the top of my head, Mass Effect leaps to mind as being an XBox exclusive that's excellent. The assumption that he has a monster computer that can run the PC ports of XBox games like Bioshock is also pretty bad, and the statement "I don't own such and such system and I know for a fact I don't like its games" is ridiculous

i'd been intentionally not replying to this thread, but now i feel i have to.

there's a difference between saying "there are games out for x system that are really similar to games for y system" versus "wow, that x system is shit".

supabeast did the latter, which is more flamebait than actual help and/or advice. any thread on an internet forum involving this topic is unfortunately going to invite flamebaiting and trolls. i looked at supabeast's posting history out of curiosity, too. it's interesting :P

as for my feeling on the similarity of the games out for the PC with those on the PS3 or Xbox 360, well, that's an opinion too. but notice that it's not insulting or flaming any system; i never said at all that i thought those games were bad. there are wonderful games out for the Xbox and the PS3; my stance is just that the kind of games out for the Xbox or the PS3 are similar to the kind you can find on the PC. of course you won't find all the exact same games, that's ridiculous. but it's something i considered when looking at what console i might want to buy. it may be a view that the OP might want to at least consider in his/her choice.

when it comes down to it, it's a matter of taste. my tastes lie with the Wii, and i like what Nintendo's doing with the system. i'll be honest and say i want the system to succeed and i'll tell people that they should get it because it's fun. that's my advice in the end.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have both and aside from the 15 or so hours apiece I've put into Mario Galaxy(which is fantastic) and Zelda(which is dissapointing) the Wii has been basically untouched, while I've put hundreds of hours into my 360.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whichever one has the games that you want. Hell, I have both, and to be honest my PS2 gets more playtime than either, because I can't afford too many $50-$60 games.

In fact, yeah, get both. At least, get both eventually; you really won't miss much that way.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    as for my feeling on the similarity of the games out for the PC with those on the PS3 or Xbox 360, well, that's an opinion too. but notice that it's not insulting or flaming any system; i never said at all that i thought those games were bad. there are wonderful games out for the Xbox and the PS3; my stance is just that the kind of games out for the Xbox or the PS3 are similar to the kind you can find on the PC. of course you won't find all the exact same games, that's ridiculous. but it's something i considered when looking at what console i might want to buy. it may be a view that the OP might want to at least consider in his/her choice.

Maybe, but he said he was interested in Halo and Gears of War (as well as the 360's Internet functionality), which might not be selling points to people who are worried about excessive PC-console genre overlap. As noted earlier, he might not have a gaming PC; I have a desktop that tends to get slowdown in browser-based Flash games, to say nothing of the stunning 3D performance you get out of a PCI video card. Or he might have a beefy PC and just not care. Personally, as someone who enjoys PC games but doesn't want to engage in a round of upgrading just yet, the 360's library is more attractive to me. Someone coming off of several generations of consoles might feel differently.

That said, maybe an previous generation console would be a reasonable suggestion. It would certainly be cheaper for a student, although online gaming would certainly suffer. The PS2 has like 700 million games in its library, and you can get a lot of mileage out of a Gamecube or Xbox, too.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, really, if you don't have a PS2, (and especially if you don't have an HDTV) get that first. The amazing classics of the system are all in the "if it was any cheaper we'd just throw them in the garbage" bargain bin at your local EBStop.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As it happens my desktop is running 1 gig of RAM and an archaic video card; those who are supposing that I cannot play the PC ports of recent games have hit the money.

Thanks for all the advice, this thread has been very useful.

Lykouragh on