As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online Dating Services

blue integerblue integer Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm looking for a relationship.

For the record, I'm 23 years old...I've had difficulty finding people to date during my normal routines, although I'm going to start some community service - that might lead to some results. I'm not a drinker, so I usually don't hang out at bars.

Can anyone recommend good online dating services? I've looked at Match.com, and that seems pretty fitting...

So the question is, will I be brutally murdered in a back alley?

blue integer on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2007
    I can't really give you any advice since I've never been to a dating site (unless you count like, myspace) but there was a lengthy discussion about them over in D&D, you might find that thread helpful.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    I've had some hits with plentyoffish.com. I want what you want, pretty much (someone to hang out with and occasionally get your rocks off), and it's come my way thanks to that site...met a handful of girls and did my thing, and while nothing came out of it, I had a fun time. It's free to join too, so that's always good. I know I sound like a shill for the site, but whatever. It has treated me well, especially for only having been signed up for 3 months or so.

YMMV of course.

This is what I wrote in a similar thread that we had not too long ago. What I said still stands: no pressure, just post a profile and go. And you can't really beat free.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I've had much success from online dating. Match.com is good and the best free site I've seen is plentyoffish.com, I say go with both.

Here are some points in making your profile:

1. Have more than one recent photo of you and make sure it's presentable. Smile and remember you're practically selling yourself.

2. Be honest, interesting and don't look perverted in your profile. Do not mention anything sexually related in your profile, girls find that to be such a turn-off.

3. When responding to a profile, be sure you read it and don't send canned responses either.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Forgot to mention Okcupid.com. There is a lot of young folk (early 20s) on it so you may find luck there as well, plus it's free! Craigslist is ok, just don't expect much other than spam.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where do you live? That might factor into your decision.

I found my current gf through okcupid. Out of the few sites I visited, that one seemed to have the most amount of people with 'geeky' interests that I seen.

If you live in a big enough city, try craigslist. I wouldn't recommend replying to any ads there though, as females get hundreds of reply, but since it's free, put out an ad of your own in the guy seeking girl section. I met several fun people doing that, mostly because I try to let my personality and interests be reflected in my ad, as opposed to "looking for someone fun!" of others.

And what londonbridge said. Also, apart from the D&D thread, I remember another thread here similar to this one. If nothing else you should go read it and see what not to do.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Butterfly4uButterfly4u Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I second plentyoffish.com That's where I met my boyfriend and we've been together now for nine months. Whatever you do don't go to True.com They charge up the ass for their service and they keep charging even after you cancel until you catch them doing it. I've had to cancel them three times now. Good luck!

Butterfly4u on
    Butterfly
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used okcupid for a while, and while I didn't meet a romantic interest there, I did come into contact with a few people that turned into fun friends to hang out with. My brother used match.com for a while, and seemingly just hit the jackpot with a girl he met through there. Just don't meet anyone you're not comfortable meeting, and always meet in a public place.

Rubick on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Try the one that's generating all the buzz right now.

Helps a lot if you aren't ugly.

http://iminlikewithyou.com/

Lewisham on
  • Options
    blue integerblue integer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Helps a lot if you aren't ugly.

http://iminlikewithyou.com/

I don't have weird moles growing off my face. But, I'm average.

Thanks alot for the advice so far, everyone. I'll be sure to pool the advice into my initial attempt. Additional kudos to the D&D reference. Extrememly helpful, and optimistic stuff in there.

Keep the suggestions coming if there are more.

blue integer on