As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not gonna cry... not this time! (Movies)

Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey guys,

So we've got a thread talking about scary moments in movies, but I'm going to take the sentimental road and talk about emotional parts.

Specifically, I want to talk about scenes in movies that "get you every time". And I'm not talking about a scene that got you rubbing "dust" out of your eyes once, I mean scenes that gets you sniffling no matter how many times you see it.

General spoiler courtesies apply, especially if we're talking more recent movies. I recommend a format such as:

<General comment about scene to follow>
<movie title>
<spoiler>

Here are a couple of mine:

First, my "Macho" pic
Rocky Balboa:
The entire ending sequence as the fight ends. It was just so totally the right way to end the Rocky saga. Rocky walking away victoriously from the ring, despite losing. Another visit to Adrian's grave, and Rocky waving goodbye to Adrian (and the audience). This is then followed up by a montage of fans climbing the museum stairs in Philly as the credits roll, culminating with one final run by the Man himself. Totally perfect and I get choked up despite myself just thinking about it goddamit it!

Second, my "Geek" pic
The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King
Pretty obvious to most I'm sure, I love this series to death and make a point out of watching it as often as I can, but the specific scene I'm thinking of is when Sam and Frodo are lying on the rock in the middle of the lava after destroying the ring. Sam and Frodo are talking about the lives they'll never have, but I always choke up when Sam brings up Rosie Cotton and laments: "I was going to marry her mister Frodo!" Even knowing that they'll be fine, I still get all misty

So yeah, go ahead and make all the nancy jokes you want you homophobes, this thread is for real men (and of course, the ladies) who aren't afraid to admit that sometimes it's ok to cry.

Just don't blubber all over yourselves, that's just embarrasing.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
Romantic Undead on

• Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A movie that shouldn't even have a scene like this, and a moment that will cave in the most hardened of manly men.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day, the final scene.
    :^:

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No movies have ever made me cry.

Except Bambi. Oh and The Land Before Time. Holy fucking shit, the Land Before Time.

And the Lion King.

edit: damnit mikeryu I forgot about T2. Okay maybe lots of movies have made me cry.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    I might have been a bit teary-eyed during one bit in The War.
    When Babe's sister reads the last letter she sent to him.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Movies usually don't get me, as I know they aren't real.
    Freehugs youtube videos make me cry and cry and cry though.
    Tears of happiness.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    Charolette's Web.

I don't think I need to specify which part.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Charolette's Web.

I don't think I need to specify which part.

You bastard, I had forgotten

*sniff* :(

MikeMan on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does it count if I've seen the film only once? I felt bad about it because the whole film is designed to make you feel sad and the ending is obvious from the start (even if you haven't read the book) but still, it succeeds really well:

Atonement (2007), when
    Briony reveals that the 'happy' ending was fabricated by her, and in fact her sister and her sister's lover both died before they could be reunited.

Janson on
  • Options
    The NazariteThe Nazarite Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some Disney movies still make me cry.

Like the Fox and the Hound when
    the old lady let's the fox go.

or All Dogs go to Heaven when
    Charlie is allowed to go to heaven.

The Nazarite on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rudy is the one movie that always, always gets to me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If the trailer is any indication, August Rush will probably get me all teared up just on the merits of the music. I'm a huge sucker for performance art though.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, Pay It Forward.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Big Fish.
    Seriously, I saw it in theaters with about six of my buddies. We were all misty eyed at the end and walked out looking like a bunch of 12 year old girls that lost their puppy forever to Mr. Johnson's front fender.

Satan. on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shawshank Redemption.
    When Andy and Red meet on the beach it just brings me to tears of happiness everytime, it's superbly crafted

The Green Mile (more so in the book, only book that ever made me cry). Definately Terminator 2.

And for some reason Die Hard 2.
    At the end when McClane reunites with Holly and she hugs him and he's all bloody and she says "I heard there were terrorists at th airport" it just gets to me

I cried at the end of Magnolia, if only because I just wasted 3 hours of my life and I needed to weep.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MORPHEUSMORPHEUS Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord of the Rings:
    "Shield shall be splintered, spears shall be skaken, .. Ride. Ride now. Ride to ruin and the world's ending!!! Death!! Death!! Death!! Death!! *insert musical cue*

MORPHEUS on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Grave of the Fireflies

Sliver on
  • Options
    MORPHEUSMORPHEUS Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Leon the Professional:
    The scene where Natalie Portman's character was was trying to get inside Leon's aprtment just a few minutes after her family was shot up.

MORPHEUS on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Grave of the Fireflies

Yeah, this always gets me really bad. I always manage to last just fine until the final scene, and then :cry:

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Iron Giant. You all know the part I'm talking about. "Sooooooperman."

Brian888 on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Grave of the Fireflies

Yeah, this always gets me really bad. I always manage to last just fine until the final scene, and then :cry:

I have made a pact with myself to never see this movie ever.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fellowship of the Ring
    Boromir's death

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    "I wonder if he remembers me?"

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fantasia 2000 - The Firebird Suite.

I don't know why, but every time. It probably has more to do with the music then the movie itself.

I have also never seen Grave of the Fireflies. I really should someday.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pursuit of Happyness. It's designed to be such a downer, the climax at the end is an amazing pay-off.

Rubick on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rubick wrote: »
    Pursuit of Happyness. It's designed to be such a downer, the climax at the end is an amazing pay-off.

Oh god, seriously. I couldn't stand it when he went out on the street and claps over his head.

So great.

Edit: I also cried when they had to leave Captain America behind.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The film adaptation for Of Mice and Men does not lose any of its potency.

Both the book and the film make me sob so, so hard. You know when. :cry:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    If the trailer is any indication, August Rush will probably get me all teared up just on the merits of the music. I'm a huge sucker for performance art though.

Saw it last night with my GF. It's wank, and we both agreed the only good bits were the Cello performances and maybe the photography of the opening shots in the wheat field.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The Lion King always made me cry.

I bawled really hard in the theater when I saw Whale Rider. Also that movie about the 9/11 flight where the passengers tried to take over.

Also watching Planet Earth makes me tear up from time to time just from the sheer beauty of some of the shots. But that's a tv show.

Medopine on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Two from Return of the King:
    My friends, you bow to no one.

and

When he sees Arwen waiting for him, instead of having left the continent.

And strangely, one from SLC Punk:
    Now I don't have any friends!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    The Lion King always made me cry.

Yeah, this too. Funny that most movies I tear up at are cartoons.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Big Fish.
    Seriously, I saw it in theaters with about six of my buddies. We were all misty eyed at the end and walked out looking like a bunch of 12 year old girls that lost their puppy forever to Mr. Johnson's front fender.

Oh man... that one still gets me. The ending is so perfect.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Gandhi - the march on the Darasana Salt Works.

Lilo and Stitch - Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind. O shit, I'm crying.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies

I have made a pact with myself to never see this movie ever.

And thusly you will live and empty, meaningless life.

For some reason, I cry whenever I watch old Peanuts cartoons or movies. It's almost an autonomic thing, it just happens. My throat lumps up, and I start crying.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forrest Gump

I'm fine throughout the entire movie, but when we get to that end, it's the finality of it that really gets me. I don't know what it is, but the theme of life finally dying out at an old age just always seems to get me.

Forrest has gone his entire life thinking of one women, and when they're finally together and happy, she dies off. Gets me every damn time. Only movie that does it too.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    O man, the ending to Doctor Zhivago.

Shinto on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah Forrest Gump is a good tear jerker, bubbas final scene tears me up as well. Philadelphia destroys me.

One cheesy film that made a bunch of my friends and myself cry was deep impact. We still don't admit to that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah Forrest Gump is a good tear jerker, bubbas final scene tears me up as well. Philadelphia destroys me.

One cheesy film that made a bunch of my friends and myself cry was deep impact. We still don't admit to that.
    Tom Hanks! Everything he says is a stitch.

Satan. on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hated Deep Impact. By the end, I just wanted the meteor to hit and wipe out all the annoying whiney bitches I'd had to endure for the past 2 hours. The spacecraft crew got a little sympathy for being motes of awesome in a big pile of "Oh god, when will this end?"

That said; Armageddon.
    When Bruce Willis blows up the astroid, and there's the flashed montage of him and his daughter. "We win Gracie!" *BOOM* Followed by the wedding over the ending credits.

Transformers
    Nothing spoilery; just seeing it on the big screen and realizing that, while not a perfect movie, it was a fine homage to something I loved in my childhood. Seeing Optimus Prime transform (and hearing the faint echo of the old cartoon sound for doing so in the background) gets me every time.

LOTR Trilogy. So many powerful moments. "Boromir", "The charge at Rohan", "Eagles", etc.

... but this is just between us, right?

Also Bambi, E.T., and a wide variety of Disney movies from my childhood.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Also watching Planet Earth makes me tear up from time to time just from the sheer beauty of some of the shots. But that's a tv show.

I thought I was the only one D:
    Seriously though, emotive music, with the right setting on PE just sets me right off. Dammit world! Stop being so beautiful!

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's a TV show, but "The things you leave behind," the finale to Deep Space Nine.

Sisko is revealed to Kassidy to still be alive and they find out the sorrow spoken of by the prophets is that he won't be around to share their love or raise their new child.

"Will you be back?"

"I will. Maybe a year, maybe yesterday."

Samphis on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, Forrest Gump.
    When he's talking to Jenny at her grave at the end, telling her how smart their boy is. It's that music too.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.