As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not gonna cry... not this time! (Movies)

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    The Last Unicorn.
    Schmendrick: "There are no happy endings, because nothing ends."

(I cried like half a dozen more times while reading the book, too.)
    That is seriously one of my favorite lines in anything ever.

Because I'm a giant ball of cheese.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Phil G. wrote: »
    Not a moive but that one episode of Mr. Bean when
    He has his New Year's party and his "friends" leave him to go to another party by turning to clock ahead. I know he was a bad host but when he is lying in bed and hears the other party you just feel so sad...

As for a movie, Willard, the remake. Just the intense feeling of suffering on the title character's part.

As a child I did not understand how Mr Bean was a comedy at all. Seriously, that is some Godot-level shit right there.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    krapst78 wrote: »
    I also loved "Rocky Balboa" but the part that really get me is not the ending as much as
    when his son tries to convince him to back out of the fight and Rocky gives him the awesome speech about how to live courageously.

Damn that is a great movie

Algertman on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, at like ten points in Au Hasard Balthazar. That donkey just gets life beaten out of him.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Underdog wrote: »
    Dude! I'm totally with you on this one. Although you've got the plot a tad bit wrong.
    The worst part of me getting the plot wrong was I thought of the right plot and said "Nah, I'm confusing that with The Simpsons 'Furby' episode... it's probably this other way...."

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No one's mentioned Top Gun with Maverick and Goose.

You people are made of stone!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I feel like such a heartless bastard when I read through this thread.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Firefly: Out of Gas
    At the very end, when all through the episode it's been doing flashbacks of how the crew got together, then it does one more of Mal first buying the ship. The seller guy's voice has been talking about how great the ship is all through the episode, and then you see that he'd been talking about a different one all along. The look on Mal's face when he sees Serenity for the first time... *sob*

KalTorak on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The ending of Bruce Almighty got me going a little bit.

And, I'm probably going to get beaten for this TV show reference, but there was more than one part of Dragon Ball Z that got me choked up. Say what you will, I still love that show.

An-D on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BABOO wrote: »

Oh! And American History X. The end killed me.

Brutal is really the best way to describe that entire movie.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    An-D wrote: »

And, I'm probably going to get beaten for this TV show reference, but there was more than one part of Dragon Ball Z that got me choked up. Say what you will, I still love that show.

Trunks, Bulma..I do this for you...and yes, even you Kakkarot.

*BOOM*

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    I confess, I cried really fucking hard at the end of Donnie Darko. I don't know why...I just did.
    I thought I was the only one. Only time I've ever cried at a movie/TV show/whatever and I have no fucking idea why. Maybe it was the thought that two people could be so close and then the next minute one of them doesn't even know that the other exists.

Plus it has possibly the most heart-wrenching ending song of any movie in history...

Convael on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    No one's mentioned Top Gun with Maverick and Goose.

You people are made of stone!

I'm not gay

Algertman on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't actually cry but I get goosebumps every time I hear the speech from Independence Day and I do cry when Russell says "Tell my kids I love them very much."

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Convael wrote: »
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    I confess, I cried really fucking hard at the end of Donnie Darko. I don't know why...I just did.
    I thought I was the only one. Only time I've ever cried at a movie/TV show/whatever and I have no fucking idea why. Maybe it was the thought that two people could be so close and then the next minute one of them doesn't even know that the other exists.

Plus it has possibly the most heart-wrenching ending song of any movie in history...

That and the whole
    sacrificing yourself for the sake of everyone around you...
    it just hits me so hard knowing I might not be able to make that choice... and he's laughing while he does it... not because he's crazy, but because he knows things are going to be better.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    An-D wrote: »

Trunks, Bulma..I do this for you...and yes, even you Kakkarot.

*BOOM*

You know where I tear up , even know? At the very end of DB GT, were they are playing the song and flashing through the series.

It's an awesome end, and to someone like me who watched every episode and grew up with it, it always gets to me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    BABOO wrote: »
    The Notebook?

That movie had me crying like a baby when I realized who the old broad was.
    You mean five minutes after the movie starts?

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know it's not a movie, but last week, while watching Band of Brothers, I cried during each episode. That show is just too brutal.
    It's weird because I've watched it previously, and it didn't have the same effect. This time, it was all tears and whimpering.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I know it's not a movie, but last week, while watching Band of Brothers, I cried during each episode. That show is just too brutal.
    It's weird because I've watched it previously, and it didn't have the same effect. This time, it was all tears and whimpering.

Oh man. The concentration camp episode?

I don't think I've ever cried more in my life.

geckahn on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saving Private Ryan. They finally find him and tell him he's going home.

Private Ryan: Hell, these guys deserve to go home as much as I do. They've fought just as hard.

Captain Miller: Is that what I'm supposed to tell your mother when she gets another folded American flag?

Private Ryan: You can tell her that when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. And that there was no way I was deserting them. I think she'd understand that.

Gets me EVERY fucking time.

Also, not what most people would consider a traditional sad moment in SPR, but the anguish and futility in the pilots voice as he tells the story about having to fly an overloaded plane...Goddamn.....

/Edit/ Ahh found it.../edit/

Lieutenant Dewindt: Yeah, Brigadier General Amend, deputy commander, 101st. Some fucking genius had the great idea of welding a couple of steel plates onto our deck to keep the general safe from ground fire. Unfortunately, they forgot to tell me about it until we were just getting airborne. Well, that's like trying to fly a freight train. OK? Gross overload. Trim characteristics all shot to hell. I nearly broke both my arms trying to keep her level. And when- and when we released, you know I cut as hard as I could, tried to gain some altitude and still keep her from stalling. We came down like a fucking meteor. And that is how we ended up. And the others, they stopped easy enough OK, though, you know? We were just-we were just too damn heavy, you know? The grass was wet, downward slope and all. 22 guys dead.

Captain Miller: All that for a general?

Lieutenant Dewindt: One man.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Band of Brothers! Oh man, everything in the two Bastogne episodes tore me up. Also, when the guys start splitting up in "Points", and when the German general gives his surrendering speech also.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am Sam.

I don't even know why I watched that movie. I knew it was going to make me cry, but I watched it anyway.
    I think I'm a glutton for angst.

Also, not a movie, but Wolf's Rain made me cry a few times, nearing the end of the series mostly.
    Specifically Toboe's death.

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am Sam.

I don't even know why I watched that movie. I knew it was going to make me cry, but I watched it anyway.

Also, not a movie, but Wolf's Rain made me cry a few times, nearing the end of the series mostly.

Gods, yes. I have carefully avoided picking up the box set because I'm still pissed about the ending.
    Kiba and Cheza go through all that, watch their friends die one by one only to have Cheza die and Kiba walking through the winter wasteland with one of her flowers in his teeth before collapsing himself. I felt used.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    V for Vendetta.
    All the civilians dressed as V march on London as V dies.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    elijahtaryelijahtary Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    Damn you Frodo and Bilbo, for going on a ship, away... forever!

Pan's Labyrinth
    Yeah, Ofelia getting shot by the Captain? Bawling my eyes out. But it was a happy ending...?

elijahtary on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't think I've cried to any movie

I can get sad though

Off the top of my head is Leon; the professional

the ending was both incredibly cool and also incredibly sad. The relationship between Leon and Natalie portman <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tigress wrote: »
    I am Sam.

Gods, yes. I have carefully avoided picking up the box set because I'm still pissed about the ending.
    Kiba and Cheza go through all that, watch their friends die one by one only to have Cheza die and Kiba walking through the winter wasteland with one of her flowers in his teeth before collapsing himself. I felt used.

Completely agree. Occasionally a happy ending is actually required, you know, to make you feel like you've just not wasted your time.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »

I can get sad though

the ending was both incredibly cool and also incredibly sad. The relationship between Leon and Natalie portman <3
    Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?

I have a theory that that movie can make anybody cry. Anybody.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When I was little I'd cry all the time in movies at the weirdest places. I cried during Homeward Bound (the old one) when the dog wouldn't eat at the table because he was taught not to. I think I might've cried during the Princess Bride when Wesley killed the Rat of Unusual Size. It sounded so pitiful... all it wanted was a little meal!

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    elijahtary wrote: »

Pan's Labyrinth
    Yeah, Ofelia getting shot by the Captain? Bawling my eyes out. But it was a happy ending...?

Pan's
    What? That movie didn't have a happy ending! I'm pretty sure she imagined all of it when I saw her little room had chalk doors drawn on the wall. She was a crazy little girl that still gets shot in the stomach at the end but keeps on imagining.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's
    What? That movie didn't have a happy ending! I'm pretty sure she imagined all of it when I saw her little room had chalk doors drawn on the wall. She was a crazy little girl that still gets shot in the stomach at the end but keeps on imagining.
    No dude. She died.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The end of Leon gets me every bloody time.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's
    No dude. She died.
    I meant she was shot in the stomach but still kept her fantasy going up until she died. What a trooper.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's
    No dude. She died.
    I meant she was shot in the stomach but still kept her fantasy going up until she died. What a trooper.

How unrealistic.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    V for Vendetta.
    Yes. Wow, that's a good one. Might not get me crying but it's extremely moving. One of the best things about that adaptation.

Satan. on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    V for Vendetta.
    Yes. Wow, that's a good one. Might not get me crying but it's extremely moving. One of the best things about that adaptation.

I was more moved by
    the story Evey reads when V has her held captive. That was some emotionally wrenching stuff

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    V for Vendetta.

I was more moved by
    the story Evey reads when V has her held captive. That was some emotionally wrenching stuff
    Good one too! I'm watching this tonight.

Satan. on
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Fountain. Written and directed by Darren Aronofsky, the same guy behind Pi and Requiem for a Dream.

Fantastic movie imo. Although I have never cried from watching a movie some are pretty moving. This one in particular when
    he loses Izzy.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »

I can get sad though

Have you seen Grave of the Fireflies?

I have a theory that that movie can make anybody cry. Anybody.

It actually didn't make me cry. The heaviness of the film made me feel something more like shame, which I think was much of its intention.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ashendark wrote: »
    The Fountain. Written and directed by Darren Aronofsky, the same guy behind Pi and Requiem for a Dream.

Fantastic movie imo. Although I have never cried from watching a movie some are pretty moving. This one in particular when
    he loses Izzy.

Now that was depressing.
    None of that Titanic "ILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU" bullshit. He just totally goes off the deep end. Despite being fantastic it seemed a realistic reaction. Similar reaction when the tree is dying.

Octoparrot on