As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex 3

• artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That concept looks awesome. Kind of a Ghost in the Shell look to it.

artoo on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's definitely a spiritual bond between the two universes.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Denis-Talbot.com haha, he's a great guy and has a daily gaming show on TV. Used to watch him when I was young.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
    edited September 2008
    deus-ex-3-pc-zone.jpg

Lets all recite the Deus Ex 3 prayer.

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

artoo on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holeeee shit.
    pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodple asebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

Sceptre on
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm probably about as interested in a fourth thief as I am a third Deus Ex.

I have to say I never could get into the first one, and the second one was passable at best. I know not loving the first Deus Ex is sacrilege, but it was something about the control scheme that really rubbed me wrong, and I found the environments to be pretty barren.

The Thief series I have always been fond of (still never finished 1 or 2 though, as I lack the patience for the larger levels, and the bow felt too weak to me). I actually really enjoyed the third one. I figure these games are both going to match their latest incarnations more than their original incarnations, and because of that, I feel that Thief 4 has a better chance of not sucking.

What I really really really DON"T get is why nobody else is stepping up to the plate? Why is nobody ELSE making cool thieving games? Why isn't this a whole GENRE? Same really goes for Deus Ex, but at least more people have TRIED (and failed) similar sci-fi games. Unless you want to call Bioshock a 'similar' game to Deus Ex, because that was not a failure.

Smudge on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You shouldn't be shooting people with the bow in Thief.

Unless it's a gas arrow or some shit.

august on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Smudge wrote: »
    I'm probably about as interested in a fourth thief as I am a third Deus Ex.

I have to say I never could get into the first one, and the second one was passable at best. I know not loving the first Deus Ex is sacrilege, but it was something about the control scheme that really rubbed me wrong, and I found the environments to be pretty barren.

The Thief series I have always been fond of (still never finished 1 or 2 though, as I lack the patience for the larger levels, and the bow felt too weak to me). I actually really enjoyed the third one. I figure these games are both going to match their latest incarnations more than their original incarnations, and because of that, I feel that Thief 4 has a better chance of not sucking.

What I really really really DON"T get is why nobody else is stepping up to the plate? Why is nobody ELSE making cool thieving games? Why isn't this a whole GENRE? Same really goes for Deus Ex, but at least more people have TRIED (and failed) similar sci-fi games. Unless you want to call Bioshock a 'similar' game to Deus Ex, because that was not a failure.

Bioshock is in no way similar to Deus Ex... They just aren't. In any way.

Daxon on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They are a little.

LewieP on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thief never sold that much. It definitely didn't sell enough to create a subgenre of games where you steal shit. In comparison, the Splinter Cells and MGS games have sold a metric fuckton.

Couscous on
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    artoo wrote: »

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
    edited September 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    They are a little.

Ok, I'll give you that you have guns and you shoot mans and things are not what they seem to be.

Oh, oops, did I just outline almost every single FPS ever made?

Daxon on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    They are a little.

Ok, I'll give you that you have guns and you shoot mans and things are not what they seem to be.

If it makes you feel any better its a complete rip-off and almost narrative duplicate of System Shock 2.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    They are a little.

If it makes you feel any better its a complete rip-off and almost narrative duplicate of System Shock 2.

Yeah I know, played SS2 (first time) a couple months back.

Thing is SS2 is a lot creepier than Bioshock (though it is pretty creepy).

Daxon on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    God damn it I still need to play Deus Ex 1

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    God damn it I still need to play Deus Ex 1

I'm replaying it right now! What a coincidence.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've had Deus Ex installed from GameTap forever, and I've never played it.

Maybe I should.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »

Maybe I should.

I've had this wife forever, and I've never had sex.

Maybe we should.

I've had the Holy Grail forever, and I've never drank from it, and I have a bullet wound in my gut.

Maybe I should.

I've had this solution for peace in the Middle East forever, and I've never enacted it.

Maybe I should.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »

Maybe I should.
    Yes, you should.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought about attempting to make an LP where I play as a psycho who would make Anna proud.

Couscous on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    I thought about attempting to make an LP where I play as a psycho who would make Anna proud.

You could just be documenting my game.
    I mean, I try not to kill anyone, but when my options are a tranq dart that causes the recipient to run around, shouting and flailing his arms for all the alarms to go off, or a swift bullet to the head that puts him down, there's only going to be one outcome.

My attempts at stealth last as long as it takes for someone to sound the first alarm. If they'd be more polite, I wouldn't have to murder them all.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Melee.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My playthrough consisted mostly of liberal use of the baton and tranq darts, and if those failed, the Dragon's Tooth and the stealth pistol and the bigass bazooka I can never remember the name of

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Melee.

They have an unfortunate habit of turning round just when I'm about to knock them unconscious.

I try to be stealthy, really I do, but they just don't go along with my plans.

edit: See, Olivaw gets me. That's how I roll. If there's an option for a silent, non-lethal takedown, I'll take it. If that option is swiftly removed by the shouts and screams of a startled guard, then stricter methods are hastily, and explosively, applied.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're gonna do an all melee run you might as well go all out and do a predator run, complete with cloaking and infra-red vision.

TheSuperWoot on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I might replay Deus Ex, but only with the Malkavian Mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6coZ7pvPyE&feature=related

Grab it here.

And totally unrelated to the Malkavian Mod but still funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioiOAdFJKYE&feature=related

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What the fuck was that?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now I just want a mod that makes Manderly a pigeon.

august on
    edited September 2008
    darksteel wrote: »

"Here's a picture."

GOD DAMN, THAT IS FUNNY :lol:

artoo on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I found out the Malkavian Mod is only Liberty Island. They didn't do it for anything beyond that D:

I was bummed.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • AbsolutionAbsolution __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Alreadying seeing this as being more consolefied than the second one was =\

Oh my God! JC! A Bomb! ---Press X to dodge explosion--

Ducking behind cover to regenerate health
    Hacking computer with a Quick Time Event

Absolution on
    gabe3pp2.gif
    edited September 2008
    Absolution wrote: »
    Alreadying seeing this as being more consolefied than the second one was =\

Oh my God! JC! A Bomb! ---Press X to dodge explosion--

Ducking behind cover to regenerate health
    Hacking computer with a Quick Time Event

As much as I despise QTEs, you hacked computers in Deus Ex by.. clicking 'Hack'.

I hardly see how that's the superior option.
    And if you've got the correct Aug installed, you can indeed duck behind cover to regenerate health. Then press F12 and let it charge back up.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    But it's not like you could recharge health infinitely. There was definitely a limit to it and it was fairly expensive to use the augment (in energy terms).

Daxon on
    edited September 2008
    Unless you've been hoarding cells like a packrat (me) and have easy access to a bot that'll recharge for you (they show up all over the place).

No it's not Halo energy shields, but let's get our complaints right and fair, shall we?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    if you have to complain about something complain about the writing of IW.

Iriah on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I just hope they ignore Deus Ex 2. Didn't it pretty much make JC out to be a huge prick?

DarkWarrior on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Deus Ex (1 at least) is a very PC centric game.

Like really.

Not saying it won't (or didn't) work on a console, I just mean that the UI and interface is designed a lot around PC standards, rules and conventions.

LewieP on
  • theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Melee.

Combat damage + run silent + run speed + energy sword.

theantipop on
  • RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I loved Deus Ex, but the controls were pretty loose/crap. Fortunately the rest of the game was amazing for its time. DE 2 tho.. man.. good game, but not even close to the original for so many reasons already mentioned in this thread. If anything, I'll be highly skeptical of DE 3 simply because of how badly Invisible War compared to what had been the awesomeness of Deus Ex 1. If this game is made multiplatform (probably) or even worse, console first... good luck.
    Kami wrote: »
    Also, small development team + longer production cycle = <3<3<3

Darkfall along w/ many other games have had small dev teams, but so far, it's still a crap shoot as to if smaller dev teams are actually a good thing. Conceptually it's great (think early id games), but time to market, large art depts for speed/volume vs small art teams for consistency/quality... there are just so many tradeoffs. Also, looking at this thread, it seems that the "small" dev team has grown quite a bit? Dunno what's true or not.

RabidTreeMonkey on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Deus Ex (1 at least) is a very PC centric game.

Like really.

Not saying it won't (or didn't) work on a console, I just mean that the UI and interface is designed a lot around PC standards, rules and conventions.

I'm pretty sure the Playstation (2?) port of Deus Ex 1 was pretty good.

Clevinger on