As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex 3

• IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    it's waaaay cyberpunk

cybernetic implants, mega-corporations, conspiracys, general lawlessness, poverty, grime, partly mechanized barkeeps, credsticks, to name a few

Iriah on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For anything to be punk in my mind it has to be done to an excess. But nothing's really excessive in Deus Ex. People get augments and the like to be used in the military; not to make a fashion statement. I see it as a society just naturally just grew out of our world with some more advanced technology.

But I'll agree that the mega corporation bit is cyberpunkish; conspiracies don't have to be. Oh, and the lawlessness is due to a pandemic killing off humans - people would be scared. It's not caused by a lack of police.

Daxon on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Deus Ex is absolutely cyberpunk. Both games deal with issues like appropriate use of technology, information control, and competing dystopian futures.

It's just that it isn't Blade Runner, and Blade Runner is so much our popular idea of what cyberpunk is that it's hard to see past it.

I mean, NG Resonance from the second game is so cyberpunk it makes your head hurt.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Deus Ex is absolutely cyberpunk. Both games deal with issues like appropriate use of technology, information control, and competing dystopian futures.

It's just that it isn't Blade Runner, and Blade Runner is so much our popular idea of what cyberpunk is that it's hard to see past it.

I mean, NG Resonance from the second game is so cyberpunk it makes your head hurt.

How often do you recharge? I hear if you don't let your energy fully deplete every now and then, it can cause headaches.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

How often do you recharge? I hear if you don't let your energy fully deplete every now and then, it can cause headaches.

Second game is definitely cyberpunk - but it completely lost any Deus Ex feel to it for me.

Daxon on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is no Deus Ex 2, I don't know what you guys are talking about. They made the first one, and then ... static ... and now they're just skipping a number to make three.

AND I WILL NOT HEAR YOUR LIES TO THE CONTRARY.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2008
    I'm actually now playing Deus Ex through for the first time. I'd always only get as far as finishing the first mission, so this time I made a determined effort to press on.

It's turning out quite well so far.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited September 2008
    I'm actually now playing Deus Ex through for the first time. I'd always only get as far as finishing the first mission, so this time I made a determined effort to press on.

D:

PeregrineFalcon on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is no Deus Ex 2, I don't know what you guys are talking about. They made the first one, and then ... static ... and now they're just skipping a number to make three.

This sort of response should be reserved for travesties like MoO3.

DX2 was nowhere near that bad.

Khavall on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Daxon wrote: »

Second game is definitely cyberpunk - but it completely lost any Deus Ex feel to it for me.

I think I don't consider DX cyberpunk because my vision of cyberpunk has more to do with architecture than social structure. The mega corporations are important and all, but without the skyscape lined with quarter mile high buildings billowing out smoke, it's just not the same.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited September 2008

D:

Well like I said, I'd always complete the first mission then forget to go back and play on. No idea why, I'd just.. stop. I went to play it recently and found the disc all scratched to hell and it wouldn't work, so I bought it off Steam for $10 and resolved to work through it this time.
    I just blew up a ship, which was fun.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Actually, yeah it was as sequels go. MoO3 was a broken, horrific game on many levels, but DX2 was just plain awful for a multitude of reasons. What makes DX2 excel in how bad it ended up compared to the first game, was there was a functional game in DX2 it just got choked down by all the awful design decisions. MoO3 is just a shit game, but DX2 deserves a special place in gaming hell because there is buried in there somewhere the potential to have made a good game. The game has incredibly dumb AI (see below for THE example that is so easy to replicate, you'll be making your own flaming hobo holocaust in no time), no balance at all, the unified ammo is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen in an FPS - oh fuck it *THE* dumbest idea I've ever seen and more. The fact I can just murder every single NPC in the game, including children with no significant consequences what-so-ever as everyone goes back to begging me for my help two seconds later is just completely verisimilitude breaking.

For example, push a flaming barrel next to an NPC and watch what happens (Don't attack or anything incidentally, just push the flaming barrel next to him, nothing else. Stand there and watch).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    For example, push a flaming barrel next to an NPC and watch what happens (Don't attack or anything incidentally, just push the flaming barrel next to him, nothing else. Stand there and watch).
    It's the perfect crime.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Nope, DX2 never existed. There was a game. Some called it a sequel to DX - but it wasn't.

A sequel actually has to keep the spirit of the original to be a sequel; this "DX2" abomination did nothing of the sort. It was basically "OOOH LET'S MAKE A GAME! Shit... our game is crap; let's call it DX2 so people buy it! YEAH GOOD IDEA!".

Daxon on
  • powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The hatred of DX2 in this thread is so thick you could drizzle it over pancakes.

Me, on the other hand - I like DX2 and MSFT should fucking make it backwards fucking compatible already, fuck.

powerss on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    powerss wrote: »
    The hatred of DX2 in this thread is so thick you could drizzle it over pancakes.

Me, on the other hand - I like DX2 and MSFT should fucking make it backwards fucking compatible already, fuck.

DX2 was not a bad game. It could have been worse. Certain sequences(the Mako facility) were pretty goddamn amazing.

But the SHITTY physics and the shittier AI ruined a lot, and the horrible universal ammo system made gameplay into an atrocious shitfest.

But there was nothing wrong with the story that wasn't a direct result of game mechanics and chopped development(read: Trier) and the endings were all quite, quite awesome. The 'shades of gray' thing also worked out quite well, and they had a fun way of bringing back dialogue choices from earlier in the game.

I did follow development of the game from the moment of the official press release, and I can say right now that there was a point at which it actually looked like a true sequel. They had some amazing ideas(the binoculars that could listen to people punching in codes on keypads, the LAM-planting nano-monkeys, Kharkian/Greasel symbiotic relationships, with the Greasel's glowing spit giving light sources for the Kharkians to hunt by) but none of it ever really panned out.

The weapon mod system was miles better than DX1 though, and the UI was quite slick(I rather liked it once I modded it a little bit, before then it had clunky moments.)

Really, DX2 is just a disappointment because everyone who really paid attention to it knows how much better it could have been. It still has a lot of the non-linear problem solving that made the first game so damn good, and at moments recaptures the atmosphere of the brilliant original game, but it misses so much that it hurts.

Rainfall on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

D:

Well like I said, I'd always complete the first mission then forget to go back and play on. No idea why, I'd just.. stop. I went to play it recently and found the disc all scratched to hell and it wouldn't work, so I bought it off Steam for $10 and resolved to work through it this time.

I got about halfway through the game and then stopped because I lost my savegame

The only reason I haven't beaten it is that I really don't want to go through all of New York and Hong Kong again

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited September 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

D:

I got about halfway through the game and then stopped because I lost my savegame

The only reason I haven't beaten it is that I really don't want to go through all of New York and Hong Kong again

It's not rike the accents in Hong Kong start to glate after a whire, don't know why you'd comprain.

I managed to glitch mine there, too! After being sent to find the Dragon's Tooth, I think I somehow managed to cock something up big-time, and now I'm permanently stuck with a mission objective to find the sword and bring it to Tong, even though I'm now well past it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

D:

It's not rike the accents in Hong Kong start to glate after a whire, don't know why you'd comprain.

I managed to glitch mine there, too! After being sent to find the Dragon's Tooth, I think I somehow managed to cock something up big-time, and now I'm permanently stuck with a mission objective to find the sword and bring it to Tong, even though I'm now well past it.

I've done that, if it's the same glitch I had it's possible to complete the game with no problems.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited September 2008
    powerss wrote: »

It deserves it.

Really, it does.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2008
    Italax wrote: »

D:

I've done that, if it's the same glitch I had it's possible to complete the game with no problems.

Good to know. If I got to the end and it was like "I can't leave without my buddy Superfly/handing the sword to Tong", I'd be piiiiissed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

D:

I used to live in Annapolis and every time I get to that part I'm like hey wait a sec I forgot THERE'S A PART WHERE YOU GET TO SHOOT MIDSHIPMEN IN THE FACE FUCK YEAH.

august on
  • SG MahonaySG Mahonay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I kept going back to Deus Ex 2 saying I would play it the whole way through. I would always get fed up and just stop playing for months at a time. I still only ever got about 2/5 or 1/2 way through the game. I bought it for 4 dollars in a bargain bin (I think only a year after it came out. Yes this game sold really well...) so I can't complain.

I don't have much faith in Deus Ex 3. Here's hoping they've been putting in a lot of work under the radar. Hopefully getting some feedback from Warren.

SG Mahonay on
    Greetings from www.seasonedgamers.com
    edited September 2008
    Warren Spector signed off on DX2, you know. He's not the greatest source for a true sequel to DX like some of you seem to think.

Iriah on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    Warren Spector signed off on DX2, you know. He's not the greatest source for a true sequel to DX like some of you seem to think.
    The important thing is that they realize and understand why Deus Ex 2 was shitty and do not want to repeat that mistake.

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk8ByyCsks

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited September 2008
    The important thing is that they realize and understand why Deus Ex 2 was shitty and do not want to repeat that mistake.

We can only hope.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2008

We can only hope.
    I'm positive that this was said in an interview.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited September 2008

We can only hope.

But putting it into practice is an entirely different matter. The developers of Deus Ex 2, right up until people saw the demo and realised (even before the full game came out) it would be utter shit, were pretty confident they weren't screwing things up either. Things like their AI for example, were supposed to be improved over the previous game. The actual game, as history shows, proved otherwise (in fact, I still think it's actually worse in many ways). Like, the first thing I ever did in the demo for IW was walk up to a guard and shoot him in the face at point blank.

All I got was: "Don't do that again".

I mean, what the fuck? This would be so obvious to anyone, but they actually had to patch the AI to make it react like it wasn't a moron to being shot in the face.

The only way they could possibly convince me is by actively releasing something that isn't a screw up, not saying it, but doing it.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2008
    The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Plus it's the third game so it will be a great one. Just like Prince of Persia, Metal Gear Solid, and so many others the first one was epic, the second one was a disappointment, and the third blew expectations away.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

We can only hope.

But putting it into practice is an entirely different matter. The developers of Deus Ex 2, right up until people saw the demo and realised (even before the full game came out) it would be utter shit, were pretty confident they weren't screwing things up either. Things like their AI for example, were supposed to be improved over the previous game. The actual game, as history shows, proved otherwise (in fact, I still think it's actually worse in many ways). Like, the first thing I ever did in the demo for IW was walk up to a guard and shoot him in the face at point blank.

I mean, what the fuck? This would be so obvious to anyone, but they actually had to patch the AI to make it react like it wasn't a moron to being shot in the face.

The only way they could possibly convince me is by actively releasing something that isn't a screw up, not saying it, but doing it.

Actually as soon as I heard it was being co-developed for the xbox and they were making 'streamlining the interface to make it more gamepad friendly' I knew that things were going wrong.

Brolo on
    edited September 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

We can only hope.

Actually as soon as I heard it was being co-developed for the xbox and they were making 'streamlining the interface to make it more gamepad friendly' I knew that things were going wrong.
    I don't think this has ever been said about a game and had it not turn out bad.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited September 2008

We can only hope.

Yeah, that was an obvious warning sign but I honestly thought that they would put in the work to make the PC version work on the PC and the Xbox version for the Xbox. What I didn't realise was that they would make a Xbox version and then make a shitty port to the PC.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2008

I think I don't consider DX cyberpunk because my vision of cyberpunk has more to do with architecture than social structure. The mega corporations are important and all, but without the skyscape lined with quarter mile high buildings billowing out smoke, it's just not the same.

your vision of cyberpunk is wrong.

Iriah on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The problem with Deus Ex 2 wasn't that they steamlined the interface. Getting rid of the clunky skill system was a good idea, for example. The universal ammo thing would even have been acceptable, if they'd made ammo a little bit more scarce.

The problem was, that stuff gave the first game depth, and they didn't do anything to really add any depth to Deus Ex 2. The mods, skills and inventory were all simpler, which is okay cause that stuff isn't really the point anyway, but they didn't add much to the gameplay (most of it was actually a lot simpler.) So they wound up with sort of a watered-down FPS with some interesting flavor dialogue.

Also yeah, cyberpunk does not equal blade runner.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2008
    The problem with Deus Ex 2 wasn't that they steamlined the interface. Getting rid of the clunky skill system was a good idea, for example. The universal ammo thing would even have been acceptable, if they'd made ammo a little bit more scarce.

removing the skill system was not a good idea. The skills were the greatest reward for exploring, finding secret areas, completing mission objectives in an alternate way, or secondary objectives, and they gave you something to build towards. removing the skill system made a flat, shallow game in to a short, flat, shallow game.

Iriah on
    edited September 2008
    Universal ammo was hardly acceptable - also I don't understand where you guys had all that abundance of ammo. I ran out of it constantly so I ended up having to melee everything towards the end of the game.

Daxon on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Morrowind wasn't that bad. But then again, oblivion D:
    Fallout 3 :x:x:x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Morrowind wasn't that bad. But then again, oblivion D:
    Fallout 3 :x:x:x

I think when that happens one or the other suffers. Mass Effect was the only one who did it right. Two different input devices, two different UI's. That's how it should be done.

I loved Bioshock on the PC, but I also felt that suffered from having a Console's UI, it didn't feel like the game knew I had 100 keys + mouse to control it.

DrunkMc on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Universal ammo was hardly acceptable - also I don't understand where you guys had all that abundance of ammo. I ran out of it constantly so I ended up having to melee everything towards the end of the game.
    Both are true. There was a shitload of ammo in the game....but you couldn't carry enough to use any of your weapons. It was never worth using the rocket launcher, because you might need your ammo for the pistol. Moreover, it fucked you really quickly when you ran out of ammo - you couldn't blast away with the SMG in a firefight and then flip to your pistol - because you'd be out of ammo for everything you had and instead ended up having to melee.

It was seriously the dumbest, most immersion breaking, frustrating game mechanic I have ever come across. And ironically, all because they got rid of the grid-based inventory system which placed some sensible caps on the type and amount of firepower you could carry.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2008
    Both are true. There was a shitload of ammo in the game....but you couldn't carry enough to use any of your weapons. It was never worth using the rocket launcher, because you might need your ammo for the pistol. Moreover, it fucked you really quickly when you ran out of ammo - you couldn't blast away with the SMG in a firefight and then flip to your pistol - because you'd be out of ammo for everything you had and instead ended up having to melee.

It was seriously the dumbest, most immersion breaking, frustrating game mechanic I have ever come across. And ironically, all because they got rid of the grid-based inventory system which placed some sensible caps on the type and amount of firepower you could carry.

"Our research has shown that console players don't like the grid-based inventory. Reports from early studies indicated that it 'sucks', is 'gay', and 'only a (profane commentary involving coprophilia and lightly-buttered toast) would design something this (series of racial and/or religious epithets cut for space requirement)."

PeregrineFalcon on