As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON]X3: Reunion

• FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He's got to have at least 25MJ of shields, and the flight command software 1 and 2.

The manual lies, the only thing I've ever seen traders buy on their own is a jumpdrive, and they pay more than normal for it.

Fats on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    If you think the ships would eventually break the light barrier I would question your grasp of newtonian physics.

You're thinking relativistic physics. In newtonian physics, there's no relativistic correction. c is not a constant or a limit, and both mass and linear measurements are constant. As a result, an object with finite mass requires finite energy to exceed the speed of light. In relativistic physics, c is a constant, mass and linear measurement are variables, and there's a third term added to all of the forumlas. So an object with finite mass will require infinite energy to reach c, and will have infinite mass and zero dimension (if measured from a stationary frame of reference) when it reaches c.

Preach it brother.

But yes, what I was saying is that X3 doesn't really apply any kind of real physics either old (Newtonian) or newer Einsteinian (sp?) relativity. The only games I can think of that applied any kind of real physics were Elite 2 and 3. (Newtonian, not relativity)

I used to have fun experiments seeing if I could attain orbit of planets, for example i'd get to speed turn off the engines and see if I could attain orbit.. often i'd either fall back to the planet immediately or sometimes i'd manage a few orbits until I fell back to Earth or whatever planet I was trying to orbit.

Of course that required to use the ingame dreamspeed thing to increase the speed of the games.

If I remember there was a hard limit of the speed you could reach in Elite 2 & 3, it wasn't the full light speed either. It was ridiculously fast though, I think they had that limit in there due to the fact that calculating stuff at near light speed velocities in a solar system would eat up more cpu time on then limited processors.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I started up a game of X2, simply because I don't have the ram to play X3 well after about a week.

Anyway, I've just started, so I have about 30k credits to my name, a discoverer and mercury, and nothing else.

I need some easy cash.

Metalbourne on
  • ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, so after I installed a 25 MJ shield (an ordeal in itself, since I explored like all of Argon and Boron space EXCEPT the sector that had a Medium Shield factory), the option became available.

So I went back to the Manual.
    Good employers will ensure that the ship has at least one 25MJ shield or the maximum shield strength the current ship supports and that Fight Software Mk1 and MK 2, a Triplex scanner and Jumpdrive are installed from the beginning, because if you have not installed the Fight extensions, Jumpdrive and 25MJ Shield, the pilot may not get around to ordering one until they reach level twelve when charges for equipment delivery are higher than average.

This is a lie. The only requirement stated is a pilot at level 8 or above. But if you don't have at least the 25 MJ shield, then you can't activate the option at all, with no explanation why. The pilot will not order those, he will just refuse to go into Universal Trade. I don't know about the other stuff, since I happened to already have those, but some of them may be required, also.

That is really shitty game design. I'm fine with the game have a sharp learning curve because it's complex and there's a ton of stuff you can do, but to have additional hidden requirements for simple functions which are not at all explained in the documentation just pisses me off.

It's both complex and needlessly obtuse. Sure, you can learn it by experience, but you shouldn't have to for most of it.

Chenjesu on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well there's not much you can do about it.. all of us had to go through it at some point.

I would have quit over it myself.. but once you get past the problems the game is awesome enough to forgive.

xzzy on
  • AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shit, I lend my copy of X3 to my brother who lives in the other side of this planet from me, so no GAME ON for me :(
    But I have a question anyway, is there a way to get the music from this game legally? It was fantastic, especially in sector Kingdom´s End I think.

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    If you think the ships would eventually break the light barrier I would question your grasp of newtonian physics.

You're thinking relativistic physics. In newtonian physics, there's no relativistic correction. c is not a constant or a limit, and both mass and linear measurements are constant. As a result, an object with finite mass requires finite energy to exceed the speed of light. In relativistic physics, c is a constant, mass and linear measurement are variables, and there's a third term added to all of the forumlas. So an object with finite mass will require infinite energy to reach c, and will have infinite mass and zero dimension (if measured from a stationary frame of reference) when it reaches c.

Awesome :^:

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    Get used to basically ignoring the manual in favour of online guides. Seriously.

Also don't send a UT out without full shields, and if you haven't discovered any pirate sectors yet, don't. The UT will go to them if you've discovered them, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Tube on
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man I have this game and I just can't get into it. The learning curve being one majorly huge obstacle. I don't want to have to go back to school just to be able to play a game, and that's practically what it feels like. Furthermore, I don't think I've ever gone past the first encounter in story mode because I get asploded and such. I suck at the game, and it requires too much effort to not suck. Makes me sad cause it seems so fun once you get the hang of it :(

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
    edited December 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    Well there's not much you can do about it.. all of us had to go through it at some point.

I would have quit over it myself.. but once you get past the problems the game is awesome enough to forgive.

I definitely see the potential, and I'm sticking with it. This particular point wasn't really well addressed in online guides that I had found either. I've already given up on the story missions, since the rail shooter mission is so choppy I can't hit anything, which then causes the ship to randomly explode at the end, since they didn't feel the need to directy show the pursuing fighters destroying you.

I think my dream game would be to transplant the "autotrading fleet/factory owning" from this game into Frontier (Elite 2) flight mechanics engine with updated graphics.

Edit: Also, I am avoiding the pirate sectors based on your previous comment wishing for a script to keep your ships out of them, Tube.

Chenjesu on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »
    I think my dream game would be to transplant the "autotrading fleet/factory owning" from this game into Frontier (Elite 2) flight mechanics engine with updated graphics.

Well, you can always look on the bright side.. Elite 4 is Frontier Developments next game after they release The Outsider.

Of course, my bet is around 5 years for Elite 4. So, 2012 for Elite 4! Yay!

Ahem.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited December 2007
    Edit: Also, I am avoiding the pirate sectors based on your previous comment wishing for a script to keep your ships out of them, Tube.

Edit: You probably don't want these.

Fats on
    edited December 2007
    Fats wrote: »

Autotrader Sector Lock 1.0. There's also the Mk3 improvement script which makes your traders smarter in general.

So hard right now.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    I got around the stupid trade problem by using the "sector claim" mod that's out there. Figured a good place to begin building my own empire was reclaimed pirate space.. so that's exactly what I did. Once the sector is not "owned" by a pirate, they stop spawning there.

xzzy on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Autotrader Sector Lock 1.0. There's also the Mk3 improvement script which makes your traders smarter in general.

So hard right now.
    The autotrader thread has two dead links :| .

fogeyman on
    edited December 2007
    It's working for me?

Edit: Oh, the Mk3 improvement links are dead. Here's my mirror.

Edit2: I've never actually used the sector lock mod, so I have no idea if it's good or not. The Mk3 improvement has kept my little fleet of UTs from dying thus far, even with all the cock running around in my galaxy.

Fats on
    edited December 2007
    I am having the worst time with this game this weekend. I travel into Priest's Pity. Two Pirate Falcons (M3) are attacking a Soy Farm. I'm in a Discoverer. I dock/save, then go attack. It's a slow battle, but I force the first to eject while dodging his wingmate, then kill the wingmate. I scoot up to the abandoned ship, and can't remember how to capture. I eject, go up to it, click on it (which gives the option for communications, but not to claim), and get stumped. I alt-tab out, look up a forum post, learn that I have to hit "i" with it targeted, in my spacesuit, from a short distance away.) I alt-tab back in, and learn that when you alt-tab in, your ship immediately goes into max speed for some ungodly reason. Ram the ship, die instantly.

I try loading the save a few times, but they will not abandon the ship again. I have one UT, and after already running it for 12 hours, I might have enough credits to outfit a second system trader if I run all night. I really could have used the cash from the capture.

Chenjesu on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I'm kind of sad some of the awesome guides and stickies on the official forum from before 2.0 are gone. The list of ships with pictures of all of them was awesome.

Also I've always wanted to be buddies with the Split and Paranid, but there are a few things that are only sold in Argon space to my knowledge, like Jump Drives and Trade Software MK3. Killing pirates and xenon and stuff is lame, I need empire ships to hijack. Privateering is where it's at, but there's no good way to do it except allying with 2 races and having 2 hate you. The Boron are totally lame and I hate their ships, I want to be buddies with the Split, but it doesn't seem too plausible from what I've seen.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's working for me?

Edit2: I've never actually used the sector lock mod, so I have no idea if it's good or not. The Mk3 improvement has kept my little fleet of UTs from dying thus far, even with all the cock running around in my galaxy.
    Oh, I mixed them up. Woops. Thanks!

fogeyman on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's working for me?

Does the germanness of the version you linked matter? Because it's pretty German.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i think we should keep sharing our useful scripts (maybe get a list going on the OP?):

-all of Cycrows scripts (some great things in here): http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=110772
    -Bail Signal Extension (increases/modifies the bail rate, customizable): http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=187811

so my game seems to progressing ok, though i economically my empire is going a little slow. i'm about 1.1 days of gametime and i have 2 STs (one is level 10 and ready for UT) and almost 2 million credits - about half of that from recent ship caps. i was using my buster most of the time with 4xBPACS/2xAPACs but then i captured some pirates ships. i wasn't stoked on the slow speed of the pirate nova so i sold it, but i got my hands on a falcon vanguard and it seemed pretty awesome. with 3x25mw shields and 4xBPACS/4xAPACS i can rip through tons of ships, but i see the cargo bay is super limited (only 72 with full expanders). so that kinda sucks. i don't have the rep to buy any legit M3s yet either.

i noticed that a lot of the factories around me are seriously lacking in supplies. like someone will fulfill the ore needs (of course) but no one gets around to the energy cells. sometims no quantum tubes, silicon wafers, etc so i don't think they're actually able to produce a lot of their end product. maybe this is hindering my STs?

krylon666 on
    edited December 2007
    Early in the game, hauling energy cells will be your primary way of making money. Game is kind of rigged to make it an easy income.. which is why so many stations are lacking it.

Downside is you kind of have to do it yourself to make it work. Once you get a couple UT's you can stop.

I usually make a run for the free ships around the game early on, a couple of which are freighers. They become my first UT's.

xzzy on
    edited December 2007
    Fiatil wrote: »
    It's working for me?

Does the germanness of the version you linked matter? Because it's pretty German.

That depends, do you want your traders to be industrious, german harte Arbeiter, or lazy english speaking dudes? (Nah, doesn't matter)

Fats on
    edited December 2007
    when you alt-tab in, your ship immediately goes into max speed for some ungodly reason.[/I]

Tab is the max speed button.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    yeah, which i remapped because every once and awhile something would happen when you hit Tab and it would bring up the Steam community page in-game. then we you switch back to the game its stuck 'pressing' Tab and you can't adjust your speed. sometimes it gets even worse and you can't use the controls.. so yeah i remapped it. if that does happen though you can alt-tab back/forth and it seems to fix it for the moment.

krylon666 on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I keep intending to buy this game one day, and everytime I mention it to someone I know it's always "Heh, you don't see the sun enough as it is, boy-o"

Junpei on
    edited December 2007
    Junpei wrote: »
    I keep intending to buy this game one day, and everytime I mention it to someone I know it's always "Heh, you don't see the sun enough as it is, boy-o"

well i did play it for 12 hours straight on friday.. and loved every minute of it.

krylon666 on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Has anyone else ever had a sector trader lose a lot of money? Like, 100k? I had my dude all set up and trading in either argon prime or home of light, while i'm just out exploring, and after a while I check back and notice that I'm a lot poorer, and the trader isn't carrying anything. I checked its specs, and it didn't buy a jump drive or anything. Does anyone know what could have caused that, and how I can prevent it?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2007
    That's all you've got, the ST? You're sure he's not carrying anything?

Hmm.

His trades all come straight out of your bank account, but they never sell anything at a loss ever. They'll call you up if they can't make a sale. What sector is he in? If it's not Empire's Edge, move him there.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    my trade fleet now consists of 1 UT (who barely travels ha) and 2 STs (one will be ready for UT work soon, in fact he may only require a shield). I have one ST in Empire's Edge and the new guy is in Argon space. i'm still trying to build up more rep with them.. maybe i should do the plot, i'm sure that will lead to some rep bonuses. but i have no idea what else it will lead to ha.

so far all my traders are flying Mercurys, but i was thinking of maybe getting a super freighter as well (once i can really afford it). any suggestions on that? i have most of Cycrow's guild scripts installed, and i joined the Merchant's guild. that seems like a fun way to do some MORT or personal trading.

krylon666 on
    edited December 2007
    Whereabouts in Argon space? honestly I just throw them into Empire's Edge to level them up and don't bother with anywhere else. Make sure you put them in places with good trade, anywhere with a power plant and some other factories, or power plant and sillicon mine would be good.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    Superfreighters are really more useful for hoofing shit around than UTs, if I recall correctly. I'm a little fuzzy, check the speed out, if it's not too bad you might want to try one out. I'm pretty sure mercury superfreighters are slow as balls, but caiman superfreighters are good. I had a flight of caimain UTs. I used to have a 40 strong trading fleet back in the day. Aah, memories...

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    I used to haul my ass way down to the "southern" Boron sectors to get those dolphin superfreighters. Cheaper than hell, and hold a shitton of stuff.

xzzy on
    edited December 2007
    seriously though, don't use dolphins for traders. Seriously. Seriously. They make great supply ships for factories, but holy balls are they slow.

I'd stick with normal freighters, caimans and mercuries, until you have some money to throw around. caimans are faster, better armed and better shielded (I think) but have slightly less space.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    Anyone have insight on what causes shipyards to actually carry stock of M and L ships? The Paranid dock has S, M, and L for sale of their various ships, but the dock in Argon Prime never has any M or L ships in shock.

Chenjesu on
    edited December 2007
    Different shipyards offer different versions of each ship. I used to have an excel spreadsheet detailing where each one came from.. but it's long gone. I found it on the X3 forums somewhere.

So if one doesn't have a ship you want, start scouring others.

xzzy on
    edited December 2007
    S, M and L ships are exactly the same. L just comes with more onboard weapons. You can upgrade an S to be identical.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    S, M and L ships are exactly the same. L just comes with more onboard weapons. You can upgrade an S to be identical.

Yes, and I have no problem sending the S ship around to pick up the shield, etc, (especially since you can do it all remotely, which is awesome) but I was curious if someone knew what influenced the stock. All three outfittings are listed at the shipyard, but the stock for S is always 10, while the stock for M and L is always 0.

Chenjesu on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got this off steam about a month ago and only recently started playing it since my WoW addiction finally wore off (again)

Holy balls am I ever lost , even the guides and manuals spread around THE INTERNET are of little to no help yet since I just plain don't have any context for anything yet

It looks like so much fun if I can just get over the initial hump, though :[

(edit) Now that I think about it my starting on Normal instead of Easy or whatever it is probably isn't helping matters

(edit 2) I know the plot can be pretty much ignored, but is there a way to outright turn it off so I don't run into any scripted events until I want it back on?

Ledneh on
    edited December 2007
    if you ignore it I don't think you'll run into any scripted sequences. you have to actively seek it out. Also read my guide to ships earlier in the thread, it might help.

Tube on