As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CoX Updates: NCsoft buys CoX, Issue 11 Live Nov 28th

2»

• Options
    FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have some invites to go around if anyone would like one. Just send me a PM with your e-mail. I can either send you the new user one, or the resubscribing one (so you can get a free 15 days). Just let me know.

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Stupid CoX, I thought NCsoft bought Cox Communications and I was confused for a moment.

rayofash on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    NCSoft today announced some new referal programs. Existing players can now get free game time by sending invites to former players to reactivate.
    With these invites, does the invited player get a few days of free play time too, to test out new features? Cuz if so, I could really go for one of those.

Well, they get 15 days free time if they pay for 30 days. I don't think they get free time prior to resubbing.

Here's the fine print:
    Ivite A Friend To Come Back To City of Heroes®/City of Villains®

Invite a friend to come back* to City of Heroes®/City of Villains® and split a FREE 30 Day Credit** to your City of Heroes®/City of Villains® accounts! Enter the required information and click the Invite a Friend button below to e-mail a Reactivation Credit Serial Code to a friend. Should your friend reactivate their account and pay for a minimum one month of subscription to City of Heroes®/City of Villains®, you and your friend will be automatically credited with 15 days of free game time each!
    How does it work?
    1. Any friend whose City of Heroes®/City of Villains® account has been inactive for at least 90 days is eligible for this program.
    2. E-mail your friend a Reactivation Credit Serial Code by entering the requested information and clicking the Invite a Friend button below.
    3. When your friend reactivates their game account for a minimum one month of game time with a credit card or a 30-day or 60-day game time card, they will be invited to enter the Reactivation Credit Serial Code. Once this process is complete, you will each be credited 15 days of free game time to your City of Heroes®/City of Villains® accounts. IMPORTANT: They must enter this code in order for you OR them to receive any credit. As long as they do enter the code, you will split the 30 day credit.
    4. You can have a maximum of 4 invites 'live' at any one time. As soon as one of your friends reactivates their account and uses the Reactivation Credit Serial Code, we'll give you another one to send to someone else. If your first batch of four invites is successful with all four friends reactivating their accounts, you'll get 60 days of City of Heroes®/City of Villains® game time for free! Recruit more friends to come back for more free game time!
    5. You will only receive your free game time if your friend reactivates within two months of the invitation being sent. And remember, they MUST USE the Reactivation Credit Serial Code that you sent them at the time that they reactivate their account!
    6. You can see the status of each invite you send at the bottom of this page.
    7. . Note: If you are interested in referring new players who have not yet tried City of Heroes®/City of Villains®, use our separate Referral Program.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn you. Downloading COH now.

So if I had an account before, but didn't have it subscribed during the "Here, have a free copy of CoV" thing this month, do I get it?

I'm thinking a nice new Dual Blade / Willpower Scrapper tomorrow when the download finishes.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As long as you had it before, yes. Remember to have someone refer you if you've been gone for 90+ days.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    As long as you had it before, yes. Remember to have someone refer you if you've been gone for 90+ days.

Wait, what?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

Wait, what?

There are these new invitation codes to bring back old players that give you 15 free days if you subscribe for one month. So 45 for 30 basically..it also gets the person who sent it 15 days. Speaking of which...send me your e-mail and I'll toss you a code. That is if you have been gone for more then 90 days.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I sent you my email in a PM... Let me know. :)

So, Virtue is the server the Penny Arcadians hang out on now? Hm, I don't even remember what server I was on before...

KiTA on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there a way to get some trial time on my old account without having to pay for anything? Want to check these new powers out but I'd like to see what's up with my old chars.

Also, is there an easier way to get Kheldians than maxing a character?

Rhaka on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I sent you my email in a PM... Let me know. :)

So, Virtue is the server the Penny Arcadians hang out on now? Hm, I don't even remember what server I was on before...

There is character transfer now. It is 10 bucks..but if you really wanted to get your main over you could. Make sure to use the name check on virtue first though if you absolutely want to keep your character's name. If you don't have anything 35+ though I'd just say fuck it and reroll personally.
    Rhaka wrote: »
    Is there a way to get some trial time on my old account without having to pay for anything? Want to check these new powers out but I'd like to see what's up with my old chars.

For the longest time I was under the impression that if you had never used a trial on an account before you could use one..but I tried that and it ended up fucking my account up making me have to contact support in order to get access for the trial and then again in order to get access once I resubscribed. I don't know if that is the case all around but if you really wanted to you could try adding a trial code. Other than that they sometimes give 3 days of play time upon issue releases but I don't believe they did that this time. You could try logging on and see though.

As for the second question..no. You have to have atleast one level 50 hero to get Kheldians. On that note, however, Kheldians aren't that good...I don't know how many people I have seen who look at a hero builder or something and see Kheldians and think "Oh man I want that". Then a lot of them forget to enjoy their current character(s) and push to 50 so they can get Kheldians..it is really odd how often this has occured. You will at most be content with Kheldians and perhaps even dissapointed..but never really impressed.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rhaka wrote: »

I have no idea. Referral code?

No.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait a sec, you guys moved to a different server? Or are you saying he is just on a different server then where we started?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wait a sec, you guys moved to a different server? Or are you saying he is just on a different server then where we started?

That guy is potentially on a different server. I was just telling him of transfer so he could join us.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So if I'm understanding, to reactivate an old account you have to actually pay without any sort of retrial period. In that case, can someone shoot me a new player trial code to try-before-I-buy the new powersets and whatnot? Go ahead and send to insertcoinpr AT gmail DOT com.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    bloodwingsbloodwings Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So if I'm understanding, to reactivate an old account you have to actually pay without any sort of retrial period.

welcome to every mmorpg.

the whole point of adding new content is getting old people to come back and pay money again.

bloodwings on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So if I'm understanding, to reactivate an old account you have to actually pay without any sort of retrial period. In that case, can someone shoot me a new player trial code to try-before-I-buy the new powersets and whatnot? Go ahead and send to insertcoinpr AT gmail DOT com.

Better idea for you..we may as well save our referral codes since this is just a trial account you are making.

MMORPG.com has a 14 day trial right now all you have to do is sign up for a free account there. This gets you an extra 4 days plus it doesn't use one of our referrals on an account we know won't get us a free month.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Even better!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »

That guy is potentially on a different server. I was just telling him of transfer so he could join us.

Ah ok, good. So if I were to come back..... I can install my disks and update without having to resub just yet (since I lack the finances still)? I've already reworked Archons powers and slots through hero Designer and soem forum browsing. Need to decide on a villain to stick with, but I still don't know what to go with.

I have a concept for a Brute that's a Golem made of volcanic rock that I tinkered with in the CoV beta and should still be on my account. It's just a matter fo getting the power sets right since I think I want Fire/Fire since Stone uses a hammer instead of just fists. I need to see if I can find an AT rundown listing strengths and weaknesses.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes, you can install and update without an active account.
    Of course to actually log in you'll need to resub or get one of these 15 day code thingies from one of us.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Ah ok, good. So if I were to come back..... I can install my disks and update without having to resub just yet (since I lack the finances still)? I've already reworked Archons powers and slots through hero Designer and soem forum browsing. Need to decide on a villain to stick with, but I still don't know what to go with.

I have a concept for a Brute that's a Golem made of volcanic rock that I tinkered with in the CoV beta and should still be on my account. It's just a matter fo getting the power sets right since I think I want Fire/Fire since Stone uses a hammer instead of just fists. I need to see if I can find an AT rundown listing strengths and weaknesses.

Ya you can install and update at any time. You...you are making an igneous? Fire/Fire is a very offensive tank..how it works out in comparison to other brutes though I am not too sure.
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Yes, you can install and update without an active account.
    Of course to actually log in you'll need to resub or get one of these 15 day code thingies from one of us.

Totally already claimed Accualt. I talked to geek on x-fire about it heh. I am proactive.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok just wanted to know, since after I get this PoE update (2.2 gigs on a 768k connection, ugh). I'll probably redownload and then wait for money.....to grow on trees or something.

EDIT Yeah I already told Gear he'd get 15 days from me whenever I can come back.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oral sex geek..oral sex.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oral sex geek..oral sex.

Now if you were an actual girl, that might work out. Since you aren't though...um....no. :P

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oral sex geek..oral sex.

Now if you were an actual girl, that might work out. Since you aren't though...um....no. :P

I meant others..to pay you 15 dollars. As if I would want oral sex from you or pay you 15 dollars for it for that matter.

Well maybe..

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Some pics went up of a new feature (apparently coming before xmas), where you can see character stats and costumes etc on the website. There's been an option to show stuff online in the game for years but I guess only NCsoft had the resources to actually make it work. I'm looking forward to seeing some of my stats, although I'm probably gonna cry when I see how much time I've actually spent playing in the past 3.5 years.

http://www.putfile.com/skachick/images/163044

Scooter on
  • Options
    mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OK, so I haven't played this in about a year but I'm thinking of starting up again. I'm thinking of rolling up a blaster since I haven't playeed one before (I was always a tank/scrapper type, up close and personal with my enemies.) Does anyone have advice on good builds/general information for a Blaster? How about things I should avoid (i.e. Don't take xxxxxxx as your primary power set, it's been nerfed to uselessness.) Thanks in advance for any advice.

mjn6172 on
    LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You can make anything work, nothing is brokenly bad. I'd say the worst Blaster secondary is Devices but, at the same time, it has some neat utility abilities. Just some of the powers aren't so hot for groups and instead of Build Up you get a toggle +Acc. Build Up is better, though the toggle isn't bad. Most people would probably say that Energy Melee is the best Blaster secondary.

The primaries are all varying degrees of good, especially with the recent Archery changes. I'd recommend picking whichever fits your characters theme or sounds like the most fun.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    mjn6172 wrote: »
    OK, so I haven't played this in about a year but I'm thinking of starting up again. I'm thinking of rolling up a blaster since I haven't playeed one before (I was always a tank/scrapper type, up close and personal with my enemies.) Does anyone have advice on good builds/general information for a Blaster? How about things I should avoid (i.e. Don't take xxxxxxx as your primary power set, it's been nerfed to uselessness.) Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you send me your e-mail I can send you a reinvite code that gets you 45 days for the price of 30. That is if you haven't signed up already.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mjn6172 wrote: »

If you send me your e-mail I can send you a reinvite code that gets you 45 days for the price of 30. That is if you haven't signed up already.

Gear you are such a whore! But hey, your invites bring all the boys to yard... ( <3 )

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So.

Travel Powers.

For my nice new Dual Blade / Willpower dude... I'm honestly not sure. I was thinking maybe Super Speed, cause Haste is really really useful. But Super Jump is rather nice for defense.

Does Super Speed + Stealth still = Invisibility?

Flight is kinda a Ranged character power... Teleport is mostly group-centric?

KiTA on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So.

Travel Powers.

For my nice new Dual Blade / Willpower dude... I'm honestly not sure. I was thinking maybe Super Speed, cause Haste is really really useful. But Super Jump is rather nice for defense.

Does Super Speed + Stealth still = Invisibility?

Flight is kinda a Ranged character power... Teleport is mostly group-centric?

Many players default to choosing Super Jump for melee characters, because it's 1) a nice travel power, and 2) you get Combat Jumping with its negligible endurance cost, slight defense buff, and Immobilization resistance. And it opens up Acrobatics for chars with knockback resistance holes, though that's less common to take now that -KB IOs are around.

But Hasten/SuperSpeed is a fine choice as well, if you're OK with having some trouble getting around in some zones. It's easier hero-side, but even there some zones are just annoying if you only have SS.

Yes, SS + Stealth is still "full" concealment.

I wouldn't call Flight a ranged char power. Some folks swear by Air Superiority as a melee attack. But Hover is generally more useful to blasters/defenders and other ranged support characters, that's true.

Teleport is particularly popular with 1) stone tanks/brutes, and 2) support characters who want Recall Friend and don't want to go into another pool for their travel power. I guess you could call that group-centric, but I'm not sure I understand how you're using the term.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.