Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Questions/Discussion/Tutorials Thread

1293031323335»

• GrifterGrifter TorontoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    Do you possess hands of your own? Wouldn't they serve as perfect models? Why buy what you already have?

• MillionsMillions Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Sonic wrote:
    Photoshop Text Questions:

1. How would I wrap the text? ie. make it follow a circular path like an arch etc.

You can also use the path tool.

Create a path (use the Pen tool or the circle tool or anything that makes a path).

Once the path is created, click the text icon. With that selected, hover over your path...when the icon changes click on the path and type, type away! :D

• DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    In Photoshop?

forum_sig
    DarrenMAC on Xbox Live | deviantART | Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook
    edited August 2005
    DMAC wrote:
    In Photoshop?

Yes sir!

textcirc8cw.jpg

Any path you make you can attach some text too.

You can also create like...a box with a circular cut out of it and wrap text around an object like so:

textcirc21qh.jpg

• DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    Is that CS? I don't think it works in 7.0.

forum_sig
    DarrenMAC on Xbox Live | deviantART | Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook
    edited August 2005
    Yeah it's CS. It doesn't work in 7.0? That blows. Just brings me back to the whole 'Adobe is a mangy dog' thing.

It really worries me that they now own Macromedia. I can't see any good coming out of it. I mean, they've already said they're getting rid of Fireworks. The fact that they're just pitching software out the window frightens me.

• GrifterGrifter TorontoSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, the path thing wasn't introduced until CS. They actually did a lot of cool new things in CS and CS2 that are very handy.

• Manga PenguinManga Penguin Registered User
    edited August 2005
    That's odd. They even have it in the old Paint Shop Pros.

• ArisaArisa Registered User
    edited August 2005
    That doesn't seem right -- I know I've used the path/text tools in conjunction before I got CS.

• EartaiEartai Registered User
    edited August 2005
    I'm sure at some point, if Adobe didn't do it, someone would have made a plugin. It seems like something someone would make a plugin for.

Lets spaek. Risten and repeat as sentence!
  • BrafdorfBrafdorf Registered User
    edited August 2005
    You guys should check this out, easy slide making website
    2.50 per and 1.00 more for copies

https://www.gammatech.com/html/home.htm

117931031.jpg
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Brafdorf wrote:
    For some reason I dislike Pratt just for this kid who was at my school last year; he was a horrible artist, didnt work or try, pretty much was an ass, and got accepted to Pratt as a transfer for this fall. It was hard to understand how it even happened
    I will look into it as well though
    I guess you don't have any examples of his art... I was curious.

• NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    As far as I know, Pratt's also lost a lot of it's reputation over the years...it's not what it used to be...(and it's 40k a year...O_o) soooooo...yes.

rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif
  • JonisJonis Registered User
    edited August 2005
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User
    edited August 2005
    When inking pencils, is it really necessary to transfer the pencils to another sheet of bristol before inking? Or can you do it directly on the pencils? Some artists don't seem to care, others go through a ridiculous process of getting it scanned and printed on vellum at their local Kinko's for each page.

Any thoughts?

zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    MaximasXXZ wrote:
    When inking pencils, is it really necessary to transfer the pencils to another sheet of bristol before inking? Or can you do it directly on the pencils? Some artists don't seem to care, others go through a ridiculous process of getting it scanned and printed on vellum at their local Kinko's for each page.

Any thoughts?

It just depends on personal preference, really.

Sometimes I lay pencils onto bristol, then ink them and diligently erase, sometimes I print blueline sketches onto the bristol before inking, sometimes pencil on two sheets of printer paper that have been taped together then ink onto bristol over a lightbox.

• bombardierbombardier mr. mully Vancouver, BCSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    edited August 2005
    Also, is there such thing as a negative telephoto converter? I know there's 2.0x and 1.4x ones, but is there such thing as a, say, 0.7x one?

• AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I have a question. Does anyone know a good pen tool tutorial? Because with out a wacom, and just using the mouse, the lines are shakey and it tends to take twice as long to ink anything. I was hoping to maybe grasp the pen tool for a while while my wacom is on the fritz.
    Edit: This is for someone who has NO IDEA how to use it.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    Pen Tool:

You click where you want the line to start, then click and hold where you want the line to end.

While holding, move your mouse about. You'll see the line twist and curl around.

Drag you mouse until the curve looks the way you want it.

That's it.

• BrafdorfBrafdorf Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Brafdorf wrote:
    For some reason I dislike Pratt just for this kid who was at my school last year; he was a horrible artist, didnt work or try, pretty much was an ass, and got accepted to Pratt as a transfer for this fall. It was hard to understand how it even happened
    I will look into it as well though
    I guess you don't have any examples of his art... I was curious.
    No, I dont
    Apparently though while his work/work habit sucked at school, his portfolio had old artwork that all his roommates disbelieved him ever having made himself
    40 k a year sounds pretty standard for art schools, they tend to be 20k a semester after housing is included which can be up to half that

117931031.jpg
  • BongoBongo Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Bongo wrote:
    Hm, anyone know of somewhere I can find some texturing/skinning tutorials?

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    lexxy's open canvas 1.1 download doesn't work..is there anywhere else i could get it?

0210-1-1.jpg
  • SonicSonic Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
  • eminkey2003eminkey2003 Registered User
    edited August 2005
    I think I've found a very useful link. It's a knife store, but the link goes to their encyclopedia of knives, categorized by maker, purpose, size, etc. It has a photo of each knife, sword, axe, and all other weapons listed. It also has lots of information on knives, accesories, and parts. Just wanted to share this with you for reference.
    http://www.agrussell.com/knives/index.html

I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User
    edited August 2005
    Anyone know of a good font-making program for Mac that lets you import vector/raster-based images into individual letters and export them in Mac/PC compatible formats?

I know of a couple PC programs but unfortunately they're not ported to OSX.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    thanks sonic! (:

0210-1-1.jpg
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User
    edited August 2005
    bombardier wrote:
    Also, is there such thing as a negative telephoto converter? I know there's 2.0x and 1.4x ones, but is there such thing as a, say, 0.7x one?

tele.jpg

Saw this in the window after reading your question. I had no idea they existed but here are two 0.66x teleconverters. These are for the coolpix 'dslr type' cameras not for an actual slr though, would be usefull to take my 18-70mm back to a 12mm if they did.

edited August 2005
    Damn... Well the reason I ask is that it would seem logical to produce something like that (if physically possible, my light theory is shady* at best) to combat the DSLR cropping effect. I'm guessing not, since someone must have had to of thought of this already.

*totally subconcious pun