Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Oni Blade - Russia does anime (forgets clothes)

RookRook Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So, interesting things happen when games come out of Russia... ok, that's a lie. Generally speaking very bad things happen when games come out of Russia. Namely horrendous translations and terrible graphics. But I'll make an exception for these guys since the website actually has readable english. (yeah fuck you kotaku, I saw this first!)

Oni Blade official site

oniblade1.jpg

Oni Blade, which is only a slightly better name than "Main Heroine" which she seems to be referred to a lot on the main site, is the titular character of the game (although in a remarkable move of constraint she's not too titular). Weilding dual gun blades as well as a considerable amount of magic she'll be shooting and hacking away through the main game. Her main points seem to be low-tech nariko hair...

oniblade3.jpg
... and an ass to stare at. (Yes, apparently belt and thong is the way to go for all fashion conscious girls these days) But I can forgive that, it is Russia afterall.

What actually makes this game fairly interesting is the platform it's coming to. Not surprisingly since this is a Russian game it's hitting the PC, and as we all know the PC hasn't had a decent third person combat heavy action game since, well, Oni. Add in some RPG elements, not only do you level up your skills as a warrior or sorceress, but from time to time you can assume the form of a Dark or Light beast which will affect the ending of the game (I'm guessing if you become the dark beast, you don't get the happy ending), a pretty amazing looking game engine, especially given the fairly low specs they're targetting and this could be a game to watch for next year.

There's some pretty screenshots in the spoiler but you should probably have a look at the gameplay trailers over at gametrailers here and here. Higher res versions are available from the main site, but take an age to download
Spoiler:

Rook on
«13

Posts

  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow this looks neat, but for some reason I wish it was coming on 360. I have no idea why this is.

    steam_sig.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    Do the three ponytails make her more aerodynamic?

  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't we already have a non-japanese game in the style of anime called Oni?

    Also, needs more clothes.

  • ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Egh, there are people that find that sort of character design attractive? I'm in for the genre to appear on the PC, but the blatant and idiotic fanservice puts me off right off the bat. That would be a shame if the game was actually somewhat decent otherwise.

  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This could be the first good game to come out of Russia since, like, Tetris.


    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it was a bit bwah? On the clothing issue. I still don't think it's as bad as various console game fighters where the physical distortion is really grotesque, but if they do aim for an EU/US release then there's always the possibility they could change it to be slightly more tasteful. You'd think a variety of costumes for the main character would be a selling point.

  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a bit bwah? On the clothing issue. I still don't think it's as bad as various console game fighters where the physical distortion is really grotesque, but if they do aim for an EU/US release then there's always the possibility they could change it to be slightly more tasteful. You'd think a variety of costumes for the main character would be a selling point.

    Shit they're being smart about it. Usually they throw in a chick with tits twice the size of my head with full jiggling/bouncing physics. But this is going to be 3rd person so thats tits you're never going to see! At least this way you've got the goods just staring you right in the face.

    steam_sig.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think there's probably a very large and healthy russian gaming industry that we don't get to see. I think Edge ran a feature about it though I don't really want to trawl through my back issues to look it up. Certainly if pathologic had a better translation then there would be stuff a lot of people could have learnt from that game.

    And it was only a few years ago you'd have said the same thing about eastern europe, but with stalker, witcher, two worlds, cossacks we're certainly seeing the promise come.

  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    I think there's probably a very large and healthy russian gaming industry that we don't get to see. I think Edge ran a feature about it though I don't really want to trawl through my back issues to look it up. Certainly if pathologic had a better translation then there would be stuff a lot of people could have learnt from that game.

    And it was only a few years ago you'd have said the same thing about eastern europe, but with stalker, witcher, two worlds, cossacks we're certainly seeing the promise come.

    I've heard mixed bag with Two Worlds but Witcher is fucking fantastic. If Oni Blade sees a US release when can we expect it?

    steam_sig.png
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like the hair, I like the top, I like the guns... I like the overall character design and color palette.

    The thong NEEDS to go though. I'm in no way opposed to looking at a polygonal derriere sashaying around my screen while I shoot, slice and dice generic monsters... but it seems so gratuitous that I can't condone it. If it was one of many costumes you could unlock, it'd be a different story.

    The gameplay video looks great. I'm enamored with the art direction overall, despite all the bloom I've come to accept as an intrinsic part of contemporary gaming. (Bloom! More bloom! Ok, stop bloom.) I'm especially impressed with the way they managed to portray the main heroine as an obviously anime-inspired character, without having to resort to cel-shading to make the style fit.

    Here's hoping that the combat's deep and complex, instead of a mere button-mash grindfest...

    ...and yes, Oni Blade is a TERRIBLE name... not only because it's as cliché as it gets, but because they should stick to one language. Oniken? Demonblade? Vodka?

  • themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Somewhere out there, Konoko has a Screamer Cannon ready for anyone who'd compare her to this blonde bimbo. :P But yeah, it looks like a decent budget title, save for the thong of Time Bitch proportions. Here's hoping that the gunblades are like Crimson Sea gunblades (really underrated game, btw).

  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    aunsoph wrote: »
    The thong NEEDS to go though.

    Pony_Sig.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If at some point she doesn't crush a man's head with her butt cheeks, I call fail.

    Tired of getting reamed by Gamestop? Sign up for Goozex!
  • HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought the gunblade thing was over done at this point.

  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User
    edited November 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Don't we already have a non-japanese game in the style of anime called Oni?

    Now that was a fun game right there.

  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    I think there's probably a very large and healthy russian gaming industry that we don't get to see. I think Edge ran a feature about it though I don't really want to trawl through my back issues to look it up. Certainly if pathologic had a better translation then there would be stuff a lot of people could have learnt from that game.

    And it was only a few years ago you'd have said the same thing about eastern europe, but with stalker, witcher, two worlds, cossacks we're certainly seeing the promise come.

    I've heard mixed bag with Two Worlds but Witcher is fucking fantastic. If Oni Blade sees a US release when can we expect it?

    Two worlds was at least a nice try with some interesting ideas. Certainly not worth full price but there are worse games out there.

    As for e.t.a. I can't find anything, although apparently there is a pirate copy out in russia already according to the comments at kotaku.

  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    aunsoph wrote: »
    I'm especially impressed with the way they managed to portray the main heroine as an obviously anime-inspired character, without having to resort to cel-shading to make the style fit.

    *checks the new video available*

    ...

    *facepalms*

  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »
    Don't we already have a non-japanese game in the style of anime called Oni?

    Now that was a fun game right there.
    It makes me wonder what it could have been if Bungie was actually able to properly finish it.

  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »
    Don't we already have a non-japanese game in the style of anime called Oni?

    Now that was a fun game right there.

    That game just needed MP for 'most awesomest 3rd person action game evar'

    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • FrosteeyFrosteey 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oni Blade: From the New World?

    The thong backlash in this thread is both ridiculous and disgusting. As long as they are kept off the men, there is no room for complaint. I actually have more objections to the asymmetrical skirt thing. I call gratuitous asymmetry, and I don't like it.

    As for gunblades, I've never really liked the designs, but I can tolerate them. I wish they'd go with something new though, like sniper rifle halberds.

    frosteey.gif
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does Croateam count as Russian?

    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    What actually makes this game fairly interesting is the platform it's coming to. Not surprisingly since this is a Russian game it's hitting the PC, and as we all know the PC hasn't had a decent third person combat heavy action game since, well, Oni.

    I guess I'm the only one who thought Oni was mediocre at best... but I can just pretend that "Oni" really says "Heretic 2" and be happy. :)
    Shogun wrote: »
    Wow this looks neat, but for some reason I wish it was coming on 360. I have no idea why this is.

    Art style reminds me slightly (very slightly) of Kameo's design.

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    So, interesting things happen when games come out of Russia... ok, that's a lie. Generally speaking very bad things happen when games come out of Russia.

    Look they gave us Tetris what else do you want from them.

  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't like how they outsourced the creation of their visual effects to Jeff Minter.

    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I don't like how they outsourced the creation of their visual effects to Jeff Minter.

    I don't see the connection.

    JKKaAGp.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To me, "Jeff Minter" is a synonym for "fucking my eyes with saturated neons"

    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    By the way, the gameplay trailer fails for one very good reason: apparently the girl can't wall-jump :P I wanna see some walljumping, damnit.

  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who thought Oni was mediocre at best... but I can just pretend that "Oni" really says "Heretic 2" and be happy. :)

    Oni's a strange one for me. On the one hand, I respect what it tried to do and had a good deal of fun with most of the game. On the other hand, I found parts of it tedious or just plain aggravating. Zig-zagging laser traps particularly grated on me.

    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

    Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who thought Oni was mediocre at best... but I can just pretend that "Oni" really says "Heretic 2" and be happy. :)

    Oni's a strange one for me. On the one hand, I respect what it tried to do and had a good deal of fun with most of the game. On the other hand, I found parts of it tedious or just plain aggravating. Zig-zagging laser traps particularly grated on me.

    Oh God, the Deadly Brain boss fight. What a fucking pain in the ass. And the goddamn laser traps linked to mercury bows, gyah.

    Maybe it would be fairer to say that as much as I liked Oni, what I really like is the idea of Oni.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So uh... did anyone else actually go to the website?

    Because this is some funny shit.
    A phantasy universe is a dreamboat and a place they would never want to leave for many people. However, for the girl named Oniblade this is not a fairyland but rough reality of her life. A piece of land in immense universe which embodies strange and sometimes abstruse planets, each of them has its own history, legends, magic or technology. This world of living myths, sorcery and a little bit of science fiction contains lots of worlds and each is unique.

    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • reVersereVerse Never odd or even Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Garthor wrote: »
    aunsoph wrote: »
    The thong NEEDS to go though.

    :winky:

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    aunsoph wrote: »
    The thong NEEDS to go though.

    :winky:

    I'd settle for just moving it to one side.:winky:

    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    This could be the first good game to come out of Russia since, like, Tetris.


    Spoiler:

    Pathologic calls you a damn liar.

  • DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User
    edited November 2007
    That is a terrible, terrible, terrible outfit.

    BANNER-236x60-03.gif
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyway, we appear to have a shameless DMC clone with nice cel-shading.
    This could be a good thing.

  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    This could be the first good game to come out of Russia since, like, Tetris.


    Spoiler:

    Pathologic calls you a damn liar.

    Have you finished that game yet?

  • GUTSGUTS Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Eastern Europeans make terribly optimized and flawed, but awesome, games. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Technically we're in Asia, too.

    And hey! Silent Storm. Is fun.

    Honestly, our budgets just can't compete with American ones.

    And just so you know...the story reads just as ridiculous in Russian :)

    Her name sounds way cooler though, if I imagine I don't know English for a second. Game looks cool, will have to follow this one.

    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • RonenRonen Registered User
    edited November 2007
    So by

    Russia does anime (forgets clothes)

    you mean
    Russia does anime (extremely accurately)

    Right?

    On topic: it's pretty, but I feel it'll fall into the pit of generic.

    Go play MOTHER3

    or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User
    edited November 2007
    I know about the budget restraints, which is why i never criticise the level of polish on games created in that part of the world. What i really love and admire about Eastern European developers is how they manage to capture the spirit of old school pc games.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.