As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why don't parents play games?

124»

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We grew up wth controllers in our hands, and we developed skills over years.

They have never had anything remotely like this. Split second reactions, on a computer?

They have to totally learn everything on these controllers, something they just can't be bothered to do.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My mom enjoyed Combat and Space Invaders on our Atari 2600, and she'd take me to the arcade when I was too small to reach the coin slot so she could play Star Castle. But other than that, my folks didn't game very much.

I'm also one of the new parent types who doesn't have as much time for gaming as I used to. I don't like it, but that's why I take my DS everywhere.

I guess it also depends on the type of person...a few years ago when I had time for the more serious racing sims on PC, one of my buddies I used to race against was a 70+ year old Canadian web designer. :)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gtparents.jpg

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »
    Hey fuckface, thanks for the condescension.
    FYI, I'm older. I'm confident in who I am.
    You're certainly not coming across that way.
    This is probably because we don't know eachother and you're making snap judgements based on what I'm typing into the internet.
    That, or because you're complaining bitterly about people who don't respect your hobby and telling us how imsulting you find that, as if their difference in taste is a grave personal slight.

Naaaah, that couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.

Don't worry, though. When you become an adult you won't find that insulting anymore, because you'll be content in who you are. Best of luck to you in finding that contentment.

Your reading comprehension is terrible.
    I find it insulting when people consider me stupid for the things I enjoy, not that they themselves don't enjoy it.

If you say "I really like Anne Rice novels. They're interesting and vampires are always fun." and someone responds with "That's because you have the intellectual capacity of a 4 year old." You would be insulted.
    It has nothing to do with being content with who I am.

I'll argue with you for as long as you like because quite frankly, you're beginning to prove my point in an extremely sideways manner.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When I was little, my dad would take me to the arcade and sit me at the Frogger machine while he played Q-bert and Pac-Man. Later he'd get us an Atari (I say 'us' because he justified it to my mom as a gift to myself and my brothers, even though we were mostly still at the stage where chewing on the controllers was as fun as attempting to play) with games. He also played games like Silent Service and Red Baron on the computer. I haven't heard of him playing any newer games lately, but he did think that Guitar Hero was an 'awesome' idea for a game.

Of course, I'm both a-not that old, and b-my grandfather worked for IBM, so my family's approach to new technology isn't entirely average. Really, I think the only thing stopping older generations from gaming more is that there's plenty of other things to spend time on, and most new games require a lot of both money (for the systems, tv, game, controller, etc.) and time.

Aggril on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My dad got me started gaming. He had a MegaDrive with Sonic 2. Then he got rid of it for a PC with Doom 2. Nowadays all he plays is older WWII shooters like Medal of Honour and Call of Duty.

...and LEGO Star Wars, he likes to play that for some reason.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    seancseanc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My mother was able to beat Mario 64. I will admit, it gave me some nerdy pride to tell people that :lol:

seanc on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah? Well, my mother knows who Solid Snake is.

...sorry.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My mom finds Wii Sports too complicated, with the exception of boxing.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    So...er...is the answer then just that parents do play games?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    So...er...is the answer then just that parents do play games?

yes... yes we do.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Because they're in their room, fucking around

Impersonator on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wow.. you guys just made me realize that I AM the "parent"....... But I'm still mid-20s so target demographic and all that.

my parents will play Wii when I bring it over.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FieryBalrogFieryBalrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The answer is simply, when you want to relax and be entertained, you go with whatever you are most comfortable with. The things you grew up with, and explored, and enjoyed.

My mom spends a lot of time watching Indian television, old movies and songs. Thats what she relaxes with because thats what she is comfortable with.

Trust me, in 30 years when I'm her age, when I want to relax, I'll be browsing the internet and fiddling with old games, not doing whatever nausea-inducing VR simulation of total fucking awesome is popular with my kids and their friends.

FieryBalrog on
    In Koprulu Sector, marines micro YOU!