As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Ad Campaigns: 1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back

• Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm a gay guy who likes Cirque du Soleil and that glitter ad was still way, way, way too fruity for me.
    Lareden wrote: »
    M$
    Despite being very well off financially, Microsoft does not actually have a dollar sign in their name.

sethsez on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yawn... not this shit again. What about that retarded 360 kid that has spawned a hillarious meme all across the webs? Now THATS funny.

I'm guessing you haven't watched the ads. You really, really need to do so.

I cant, Im at work.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that these ads are:

A.Retarded
    B.Gay
    C.Offensive
    D. All of the above

But its old news. And like its been said the new ads are bad ass and they fired the morons responsible for their worst ads.

True, but the worrying thing is that these are new ads.

Hopefully they'll just run in Europe, where only unimportant people will suffer.

I keed, I keed.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And like its been said the new ads are bad ass and they fired the morons responsible for their worst ads.

And like the other guy said, then you haven't seen these :(

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    I have actually recently seen a PS3 ad that won't provoke any "Lolsony"s. It started out with a PS3 logo, then footage of Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted (in that order) and then ended with the This Is Living logo.

I've seen that one as well. Need to track down a clip to add along side the Uncharted and R&C links.

Yeah, the new ads for PS3 are a huge leap in the right direction. I saw them in HD on my tv (which happens to be a Bravia, irony?) and I had to stop and think 'damn that does look mighty pretty'. The ads really highlight the key games and make Blu-Ray look nice as well.

And that Bravia commercial with the bunnies is pretty awesome, bonus points for using the Rolling Stones.

Rei on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well whats retarded to us may be cool to certain Europeans. History is littered with stories of advertisers failing becuase they didnt understand local customs. That being said I havent seen the ads so maybe they are just god awful.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's what I don't get: from a corporate perspective, Sony seems to know that RPGs are their bread and butter, from all the games of the type they're supporting for the PSP and what not: so why isn't that their marketing focus?

Some of their divisions seem to have it together, but their marketing team needs to be completely replaced.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sethsez wrote: »
    I'm a gay guy who likes Cirque du Soleil and that glitter ad was still way, way, way too fruity for me.

Despite being very well off financially, Microsoft does not actually have a dollar sign in their name.
    Wow, nobody refers to Microsoft as M$ in these forums? I guess I'm behind the times. I gotta figure out what surpassed Facebook now too. These interwebs just move too darn fast.

You know, Sony may provide joy to millions (one way or another), but they don't actually have "lol" in their name either.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yawn... not this shit again. What about that retarded 360 kid that has spawned a hillarious meme all across the webs? Now THATS funny.

I cant, Im at work.

A.Retarded
    B.Gay
    C.Offensive
    D. All of the above

But its old news. And like its been said the new ads are bad ass and they fired the morons responsible for their worst ads.

You lump homosexual in with retarded and offensive?

That's....special.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love those Bravia bunnies.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I cant, Im at work.

A.Retarded
    B.Gay
    C.Offensive
    D. All of the above

You lump homosexual in with retarded and offensive?

That's....special.

C'mon dont get your knickers in a twist, its slang not a slur.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    I already think the PSP ads they air are awful.

Basically, they say "if you buy a PSP, annoying people will harass you."

that's pretty much the takeaway message i'm getting from those ads.

I've always thought it was the other way around. If you own a PSP, you are likely to harass someone else.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm trying to find more information on this incarnation of the "This is Living" campaign but all i can find is the original series from March. I assume that these are new because of the recent dates on the clips. They could be old and just recently posted, I don't know. Gaemtrailers don't do any write-ups on any of their mdeia.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ads these days aren't meant to make you go, "Oh, I think I'll ask Mum to purchase a Sony PlayStation Game System for me!"

They're meant for you to go, "WTF!" and stop your TiVo, then write about them in message boards and/or "blogs." Companies have decided they can;t sell products on thier merrits (real or not), so they try to sell on emotion, any emotion. Since audio+video+emotional response = remembering product.

Is it better? I have no Tide Ford Chips Ahoy Goddamn idea.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm trying to find more information on this incarnation of the "This is Living" campaign but all i can find is the original series from March. I assume that these are new because of the recent dates on the clips. They could be old and just recently posted, I don't know. Gaemtrailers don't do any write-ups on any of their mdeia.
    I saw them at least a month or 2 ago. I think they were new then.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think the ones they have running now in the US are perfect and they don't really need anything else. It shows the games, has a catchy little song, and even throws in a little flair. Just keep running these Sony and swap out game footage when new releases come out.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    These ads show that Sony is still trying to market the Playstation on its name value. They need to take more of a basic approach like Nintendo had to and start hard selling the console. Give people reasons to buy it, and advertise what the console is and what it does.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jothki wrote: »

All of you PSP/PS3 owners who get criticized for their choices in gaming systems on here, don't get mad at us. We're just holding up our end of our agreement with Sony.

Who criticizes anyone for owning a PSP around here?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Wow, nobody refers to Microsoft as M$ in these forums? I guess I'm behind the times. I gotta figure out what surpassed Facebook now too. These interwebs just move too darn fast.

You know, Sony may provide joy to millions (one way or another), but they don't actually have "lol" in their name either.

Your example would be better if you said $ony, which I've seen and which also irritates the hell out of me.

I'm just glad Nintendo doesn't have the letter S in its name as well, and that "Ninyendo" will never, ever take off.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

All of you PSP/PS3 owners who get criticized for their choices in gaming systems on here, don't get mad at us. We're just holding up our end of our agreement with Sony.

Criticism... not exactly, but it was pretty soundly mocked around here over a year ago.

But then, that was over a year ago. It hasn't been the case for a while.

sethsez on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

It's a step up from some of the past PSP ads. "It's like paint you can watch dry outside."

They had that in an ad? That makes it sound like the most boring thing ever.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have actually seen the one linked directly in the OP on TV. It was a pretty WTF moment, but as soon as they mentioned Blu-Ray I knew it was a PS3 ad.

It wasn't quite like that. They had a few of them, and they compared the PSP to some of the most boring shit I've heard of. Only outside.

Found the video after I posted before: "It's like carpet... you can watch outside."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5vlfXyyRfw&feature=related
    Also, "It's like cheese... you can listen to outside."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lPEcZhDRYs&feature=related

The first time I saw them, I had an idea for a Ford commercial where the truck won't start, so the driver puts it in neutral and rolls it downhill. Pretty much the same idea.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hevach wrote: »

It's a step up from some of the past PSP ads. "It's like paint you can watch dry outside."

Those were mildly amusing, and got the point of the unit across (that it is not Sony's attempt at a gameboy as much as it is a portable version of a console.)

The get your own ads, though, are down right awful.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

nobody uses "lolsony" to reffer to the company.

it is a shortened way of saying "wow, Sony has made fools of themselves once again."

and "M$" is just incredibly stupid. You look down on them because they have money?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Criticism... not exactly, but it was pretty soundly mocked around here over a year ago.

But then, that was over a year ago. It hasn't been the case for a while.

It was NEVER mocked.

I was just pointed out that it had no games.

This was agreed upon by plenty of PSP owners as well

Evander on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    c'mon guys

can't we all use that video out for a guy's night in?

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

it is a shortened way of saying "wow, Sony has made fools of themselves once again."

and "M$" is just incredibly stupid. You look down on them because they have money?

It's more incredibly stupid than that. It started out back when free software never specified "free as in freedom" or "free as in beer," because it was all free, and it wasn't just because Microsoft HAD money, but because they CHARGED money for their products.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think the ones they have running now in the US are perfect and they don't really need anything else. It shows the games, has a catchy little song, and even throws in a little flair. Just keep running these Sony and swap out game footage when new releases come out.

Yes, when those ads hit we had a fairly big thread that was full of universal praise from every poster about them. These forums really aren't as anti-Sony as they are anti-stupid-Sony.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »

Yes, when those ads hit we had a fairly big thread that was full of universal praise from every poster about them. These forums really aren't as anti-Sony as they are anti-stupid-Sony.
    I have noticed this over the last couple of weeks. Fine folks here for the most part.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I just use M$ because it's a common colloquial expression--although apparently not in these particular forums. It's not bashing them for having money, it's bashing them for being money-hungry. Yes, capitalism is good and all that, but there is a point where you become greedy and start hurting the consumer.

Anyways, this comes more from the PC side of things (being a software engineer). In the engineering world, most experienced programmers are always having lolmicrosoft moments. So these forums are like upside-down world for me where everyone loves the way Microsoft does things. It takes some getting used to...

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bashing them for being money-hungry.

Just like...every other company?

Hell, Microsoft has been willing to spend lots of money on extending warranties, and recalling power cables, and other stuff like that. When Sony makes a mistake, it takes the threat of legal action before they ever admit it. Sony also tries to push proprietary formats in EVERY type of media, hoping to gain control of the common format, so that they can get even more money from it.

It is EXTREMELY stupid to think that MSoft is any greedier than any other company, justbecause they are successful.

Evander on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    These ads show that Sony is still trying to market the Playstation on its name value. They need to take more of a basic approach like Nintendo had to and start hard selling the console. Give people reasons to buy it, and advertise what the console is and what it does.

Yup, this.

The R&C advert in England is great - just shows the game, all pretty and impressive looking, then shows the PS3. Simple, effective.

None of the early, badly-conceived, insanity / horror.

Just a good looking game, and the console with which you can play it.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I just use M$ because it's a common colloquial expression--although apparently not in these particular forums. It's not bashing them for having money, it's bashing them for being money-hungry. Yes, capitalism is good and all that, but there is a point where you become greedy and start hurting the consumer.

Anyways, this comes more from the PC side of things (being a software engineer). In the engineering world, most experienced programmers are always having lolmicrosoft moments. So these forums are like upside-down world for me where everyone loves the way Microsoft does things. It takes some getting used to...

The "M$" thing is old and should have died off years ago. There have been a few people (I think Tycho/Gabe were among them) who have blogged about this, just how immature it's gotten. It's getting to the point where anyone who still writes "M$" is akin to those who use "l33t sp3ak" or cell-phone shorthand (u/you, r/are, etc.). I just ignore people who do that. You may want to do the same.

As for the "engineering world", it really depends. There are definitely lots of anti-MS shops out there, that live/breath open source, *nix, Java, etc. But then there are plenty of firms that happily live on Visual Studio, .NET, IIS, etc. Hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic ... man, those commercials are awful. I was just thinking that Sony's advertising had gotten really good lately. I see them all the time during football ... the one with the black PS3 blob morphing into different things and showing lots of clips of actual games. There must be different ad agencies handling advertising for Sony?

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "This is entertainment like you've never seen before."

I'm inclined to agree. Just not in the way Sony wants.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought when we had the last thread about the good PS3 commercials, the spokesman for Sony talked about how they've already established processing power of the PS3 and all the technical stuff with those bad white room ads. Now they're going back to the specs for commercials?

The Peyton Manning Sony commercials are the only ones I think get the point across. And even better, I'm not inclined to switch the channel when they show it because it doesn't have it's head up its ass like those PSP get your own ads. Whoever does those needs to do the PS3 ones.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    It's getting to the point where anyone who still writes "M$" is akin to those who use "l33t sp3ak" or cell-phone shorthand (u/you, r/are, etc.). I just ignore people who do that. You may want to do the same.

IDK my BFF Jill?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man the last ads were awesome. I mean, I don't have the money to get a PS3, I'm building a computer to I really don't have the money to get a PS3, and I hate commercials and I'd get a 360 before I'd get a PS3 and the ads made me say "Hey. I wish I had one of those".

These are....

It's like there's a big calender in Sony HQ and every week someone looks at it and says "OH MY GOD WE'VE GONE A WHOLE WEEK WITHOUT MAKING FOOLS OF OURSELVES!" and does their best to rectify the situation.

Khavall on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I thought when we had the last thread about the good PS3 commercials, the spokesman for Sony talked about how they've already established processing power of the PS3 and all the technical stuff with those bad white room ads. Now they're going back to the specs for commercials?

The Peyton Manning Sony commercials are the only ones I think get the point across. And even better, I'm not inclined to switch the channel when they show it because it doesn't have it's head up its ass like those PSP get your own ads. Whoever does those needs to do the PS3 ones.

Another set of commercials that I thought were good (albeit a bit sneaky) were the Simpsons Game ones. It's your basic, run-of-the-mill video game commercial showing clips from the game, but the "sneaky" thing is that the PlayStation 3 logo showed up at the end, and then boxes of the PS2, PSP, and PS3 titles. It seemed to imply that the game was only on PlayStation systems, when it's actually on every console and portable.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo and MS have done similar things before, but I don't remember seeing Sony doing this recently. Doing it for an incredibly mass-market title like the Simpsons game was a good idea though.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "I have 100 billion dollars... You realize I could spend 3 million dollars a day, every day, for the next 100 years? And that's if I don't make another dime. Tell you what-I'll buy your right arm for a million dollars. I give you a million bucks, and I get to sever your arm right here."
    -Bill Gates

Hey Lareden, are you aware that that quote is actually from a mock interview on pointlesswasteoftime.com?

loflo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    90 percent of the multiplatform game ads I see end with the 360 logo... they do it ALOT.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

You use it because it's a common colloquialism? That's the worst reason I've ever heard for anything. Ever. Wait.... oh no, yeah, you win on the stupid reasons. Popularity doesn't mean that it's not retarded, and it's not a reason to do something. I mean come on. Seriously now, if you think that MS is somehow more greedy than any other company despite bending over backwards to replace 360s once it was clear how much they fucked up, releasing free service packs for the bugs in their software, selling a console at a loss already, etc., etc., etc. then you're at least just a moron, but if you're just going to use it because you saw some dudes on the internet do it then that's... I don't even know where to begin.

RAGHLGHGLGLHL.

It's been a long day. Sorry.

Khavall on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I quite like this Sony ad, of course in order for it to be good it's for the Sony Walkman MP3 player and not the PS3. Unfortunately for Sony I also happen to own an ipod with which I am very happy.

Poor Sony, they can't win no matter what they do.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.