As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When is it OK to cheat?

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I started this year attempting to play through my backlog. It hasn't been easy, because I've been playing a lot of current games too, and I find my free time to be under more and more constraint. In an effort to speed things up, I turned to FAQs. I used them for a few games, and then when I got to Metroid Prime something told me not to use any guides.

It was the most fun I've had since RE 4 back in January(another game I did FAQ-free).

After finishing Prime, I moved on to the next game in my queue, GTA: San Andreas. I grabbed one of those 100% completion guides and started playing, and the next thing I knew, it really felt like a chore.

I realized that by using a guide, I wasn't really playing the game anymore. It was more of a step-by-step task, and it really drained all enjoyment for me. However, in a game the size of San Andreas, I know that without a guide I'll never get 100%. How do people find 50 oysters, 100 tags, etc., without the use of some external help? Is it OK to cheat for something like this? Personally I need to put the guide down because I want to enjoy the game, and just have to live with the fact that with the amount of other games demanding attention, I'll never be able to put the time in to get 100% on my own. It worked for Prime, and I just watched the good ending on Youtube :lol:

langfor6 on

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tend to cheat after I've beaten a game, or if the developers threw something funny in the game that makes it more fun/silly.

Or on the last boss of Rad gravity. Seriously fuck him.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I generally turn to FAQs or cheats when I'm not having fun anymore.

Usually this happens when I've been left without any indication of what to do or where to go next, or I'm confronted with a puzzle/boss fight/task that I can't figure out how to beat.

A good example is in Killer7:
    The boss fight where you fight the two guys with their heads blown open, the end of Sunset, I think. To beat them, you have to shoot one guys tie so it flops over his shoulder, then shoot the other guy in the brain when he reaches across to fix it. I don't think I would have ever found that out with out consulting a FAQ.

Regarding 100% completion, I tend not to bother, because the tasks required are usually pretty tedious.

japan on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, unless you get stuck at one part, I absolutely refuse to use walkthroughs for a game until I've beaten it. Sometimes I'll use them to get 100% some time afterwards, but otherwise I want to experience the game myself and not let someone else experience it for me. And I never use cheat codes until after I beat the game at least once.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Answer: whenever the hell you feel like it.

Echo on
  • Options
    R3conR3con Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    If a certain part of the game is so frustrating that its become work and not fun...then I cheat

R3con on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Turok game for the N64 was one of the few games that I found incredibly tedious from the off. It got a lot more fun when I turned on all weapons, infinite ammo, and ramped the difficulty right up.

Burnage on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree with the "when it's not fun any more" crowd. It's your money, you should be able to derive some sort of enjoyment from the game. And in some cases I can think of, a game may have been rushed or is otherwise shoddily put together, and a cheat can compensate for that.

Of course, using a cheat against another player is never alright... except maybe once against a friend to blow their mind. ;P

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Burnage wrote: »
    The original Turok game for the N64 was one of the few games that I found incredibly tedious from the off. It got a lot more fun when I turned on all weapons, infinite ammo, and ramped the difficulty right up.

Amazing. I didn't think anyone else played that game. I had a friend in college with an N64, and I used to go up to his room all the time and play Mario 64 and Turok. Those were the only two games he had for the longest time, and once I found all the stars in Mario I had nothing else to do but play Turok.

Totally off-topic, but why are they bringing this series back? Also, I think I still have Valiant comic's Turok #1 somewhere. Is it worth anything?

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Now that I think of it, the classic weapons/unlimited ammo cheat for Perfect Dark was pretty fun.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree with the "when it's not fun any more" crowd. It's your money, you should be able to derive some sort of enjoyment from the game. And in some cases I can think of, a game may have been rushed or is otherwise shoddily put together, and a cheat can compensate for that.

I like the definition I came across in a magazine, I can't remember which one, but it was a while ago. It was basically "The point at which a game designer has failed is when instead of thinking 'What should I do here?' you start thinking 'What do the designers want me to do here?'"

That's about the point when I reach for the FAQs.

japan on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    There have been times (usually when replaying an FPS) that I just go god mode and blaze through it for the story alone.

But cheating on the first playthrough? Nevar!

Echo on
  • Options
    GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Quite honestly, who cares if someone decides to cheat in singleplayer, it is irrelevant as the only one who will know about it is you. In that case it comes to a particular individual, if you are enjoying a game and making steady progress, you obviously wont find the need to cheat. However, if you are stuck at a certain objective or segment in the game and beginning to get frustrated, or if you want to complete all the obscure sidequests, then cheat away. At the end of the day, its your own choise and either way its fine, its a bloody game.

Online cheaters on the other hand! Fuck you twats!

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I went out an repurchased FFTactics for PS1 just so I could use the scroll glitch to get everybody's abilities quicker, and livening up the pace of the game. No more 20 battles for Cure 2!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only do it to get past things that make it impossible to enjoy the game. Managing water and power in Simcity 4? No.

MKR on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Only game I ever had to cheat to beat was Viewtiful Joe. Fuck Fire Leo.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Two words: Curtain Fire.

I've resorted to slow-motioning(pausing/unpausing in this case) my way through the final level of Castle Shikigami 2.

Beyond that, I don't even like using strategy guides to get through games any more.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    pvx22pvx22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There are only so many hours in the day. When you have to juggle work, school, relationships etc... there's no problem with cheating in a single play game.

But fuck people cheating online, that's never cool.

pvx22 on
    Agent+Yanez.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I get a lot of enjoyment from cheating in an RTS. Single player only.

Organichu on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    pvx22 wrote: »
    There are only so many hours in the day. When you have to juggle work, school, relationships etc... there's no problem with cheating in a single play game.

So very true. I'm at the point now where I turn to a faq if I'm stumped on a game for more than ten minutes. I simply don't have the time to spend hours wandering around a game looking for what the developers want me to do next. At that point, it's a choice between looking at a guide and not playing the game anymore.

I've looked at guides for the last two games I've played for which a guide would be any help - Super Metroid and Super Paper Mario.

shyguy on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    langfor6 wrote: »
    attempting to play through my backlog.

This is a fine time to cheat. if I get backed up on games and have something that has been sitting for a while, I'll sometimes pull out that game I haven't looked at in two or three years (sometimes longer) and enable some cheats just to get through it and see the sights.

I'll sometimes do that on a second playthrough, too, just to goof around with the game and have fun with it.

I also totally agree with what pvx22 said.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's only okay to cheat in multiplayer games.

People get so mad. How is that not fun?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Better answer: whenever you're playing by yourself. Never in multi.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

Better answer: whenever you're playing by yourself. Never in multi.
    Agreed. Screwing with someone else's game experience is not cool.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    It's only okay to cheat in multiplayer games.

People get so mad. How is that not fun?

Most of us have made it to our 6th, 7th, etc birthday. That's how its not fun.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    japan wrote: »
    I generally turn to FAQs or cheats when I'm not having fun anymore.

Usually this happens when I've been left without any indication of what to do or where to go next, or I'm confronted with a puzzle/boss fight/task that I can't figure out how to beat.

A good example is in Killer7:
    The boss fight where you fight the two guys with their heads blown open, the end of Sunset, I think. To beat them, you have to shoot one guys tie so it flops over his shoulder, then shoot the other guy in the brain when he reaches across to fix it. I don't think I would have ever found that out with out consulting a FAQ.

The only thing that threw me off in that game was the candles. I remember reading about how they would have numbers on them before I played the game, so I kept looking around for a way to activate the numbers. On hard mode (mode I started on) there are no numbers and you are supposed to figure out that the rings around the candles represent the order you are to light them.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You should cheat when:

1: Your playing any sort of cardgame.
    2: Your playing with friends.
    3: Money is on the line.

You should NOT cheat when:

1: Your playing a singleplayer game of any sort. (Its like cheating at masturbation,pointless)
    2: When your playing a multiplayer game online competivley,or with people you dont know well.
    3: There's a good chance of getting caught.

Vytae on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I cheat at masturbation all the time.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cervetus wrote: »

Infinite ammo on

Burnage on
  • Options
    tkthebadomentkthebadomen Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    I went out an repurchased FFTactics for PS1 just so I could use the scroll glitch to get everybody's abilities quicker, and livening up the pace of the game. No more 20 battles for Cure 2!

They left that in there? How about the item duplication trick?

As for cheating or using guides, like said many a time before. Only when the game becomes tedious, or whenever I've already beat it, and I want to get everything.

tkthebadomen on
    Sigpic_Xia.gif
    :. .:. atomicbirdhouse.com .:. .:
  • Options
    roflgoblinroflgoblin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Turok.

They established different modes of game experience with their cheats, like "Ink Mode" etc...

That made it a bit fun, however "God Mode" and such is whore-ish.

roflgoblin on
    "There's no such thing as real life, just AFK."
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Infinite ammo on

I had to look at a FAQ to find out how to get the good ending.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Infinite ammo on

I had to look at a FAQ to find out how to get the good ending.

there's also a code you can put in to get the money shot without a partner.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i find it perfectly alright to screenwatch when friends start bragging in my face.

delphinus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Unless it adversely affects other human beings. See: Online Games.
    Then never.

Variable: Jesus christ man it's too early in the morning for me to be laughing this hard. <3

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've started turning to the codes page of gamefaqs immediately after getting a game to make sure I don't miss any "hold B when starting a save to get this rare item" sorts of things.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Supreme commander, And supreme commander:forged alliance.

All single player campaign is ok to cheat.

Any multiplayer game is NOT ok to cheat in. They ruin it for everyone. Single player? You are just ruining it for yourself.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree that multiplayer cheating is, in general, wrong. But sometimes... sometimes it can be fun.

For example, on a... special CS:S server back in the day, I decided to try a speed hack, just to see how it was. It was horrible. You shoot regular speed(or this one did at least), but you run super fast, so fast that you can't even tell where you're going. I ended up with like a 3-20 kill/death, but the people on the server were having fun killing the super fast target :P

Also, servers in games where everyone hacks(Only mainly seen CS 1.6 servers like that, though), gotta make sure it explicitly says it though.

And sometimes in Co-op games it can be alright, if you're screwing around with your buddy(Open B-net, play with a friend... randomly start dropping godly loot after killing enemies)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vytae wrote: »
    You should NOT cheat when:

1: Your playing a singleplayer game of any sort. (Its like cheating at masturbation,pointless)

Not if it gets you the actual fun part faster 8-)

Seriously though, ever play any of the X games, like X2: The Threat? I remember getting into arguments on Egosoft's boards with people who demanded that Egosoft take out the SETA drive from the game as it speeds up the game up to 10 times *basically, an ingame speed hack* because the game was 'better' played in real time and should only be allowed that way. They couldn't grasp the concept that if they didn't like it, to just not use it themselves.

I don't know if you've played it, but I don't have that kind of time playing that game in realtime. Hell, travel time alone WITH the time boost can take next to forever. To take it a step further, a money cheat *which I personally don't use* for the beginning of the game isn't a bad idea either as the beginning of the game is SO TEDIOUS and lets you get to the actual fun part.

So single player game cheats definitely have a place, though I agree multiplayer *unless everyone is in on it* should never have cheaters in them.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It is OK to cheat whenever you're playing a single-player game.
    It is NEVER ok to cheat when you are playing multiplayer.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Generally it's at the end of PS1/PS2 era Final Fantasy games where they force you to jump through hoops to get decent weapons.

Thunder Plains, I am looking at you.

TVs_Frank on