As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can I open up my DS Lite and fix the trigger myself?

Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm way out of warranty, and also apparently my UPC or whatever isn't even properly registered because, I'm guessing, I got the DS Lite before the street date. Both the trigger buttons are sticking and not registering, though occasionally they will if I apply enough pressure in a specific enough spot.

Can I open this thing up and realign some kajigger and be good to go?

Kid Presentable on

• GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You could try. DS's aren't glued together or anything like that.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    well, it's either that or buy a new DS.

I say give it a try, you don't have much to loose.

But, if you brick your DS, it's not my fault.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fairly certain I've seen a guide to how to do this, google should know. Basically you invalidate your warranty, but if you're careful you can open it up and replace the springs under the shoulder buttons (or just realign them if they've not snapped). Mine's been playing up after a particularly vigorous session of Megaman ZX, although I find that blowing on them a bit is often enough to get them working again.

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    YerMum wrote: »
    Fairly certain I've seen a guide to how to do this, google should know. Basically you invalidate your warranty, but if you're careful you can open it up and replace the springs under the shoulder buttons (or just realign them if they've not snapped). Mine's been playing up after a particularly vigorous session of Megaman ZX, although I find that blowing on them a bit is often enough to get them working again.

You blow on the shoulder buttons and make them work better? Are you... are you magic?

Seriously, though, my left shoulder button has pretty much died. It takes an effort to get a press to register, so if there's a guide on how to fix it, I'd love to see it.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Look at it this way: Your DS is broken. You can't possibly fuck it up any worse.

ben0207 on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Look at it this way: Your DS is broken. You can't possibly fuck it up any worse.

Quit being a shmuck.

I would say look up any guides on the net and see if this is something that is either common or an easy fix. If not, I am a bit more cautious about tiny handhelds, I would try and send it in for repairs. Might cost a bit, but hey, at least they know what their doing.

Lucky Cynic on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Quit being a shmuck.

I would say look up any guides on the net and see if this is something that is either common or an easy fix. If not, I am a bit more cautious about tiny handhelds, I would try and send it in for repairs. Might cost a bit, but hey, at least they know what their doing.

I was looking online last night at how much it costs to get an out of warrenty repair for my DS that has the same problem, it's $75 cdn. If anyone finds a guide on a fix it would be great if they could post it.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The trigger buttons are probably just dirty with accumulated dust and dirt. This video shows a quick way that might fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH16gO3Ry4A

Musan on