As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 issues: Disk Unreadable Errors

ErandusErandus Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've owned a 360 for right around 6 months now. We play it semi-regularly for Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Assassins Creed, and a couple other things. When it gets used, it gets used heavily for several days, and then left alone for several days. Currently, it's sitting next to my Wii, vertically.

Almost since day 1, it's been giving me disc read errors sporadically on all my games. This usually happens when trying to load content, be it a song in GH/RB, or a new area in AC. I'll hear the disc sudden spin down and stop, and then it kicks in the disc read error. I've looked at my game discs and they're spotless. Usually I can simply restart the game without touching anything, but I may get a read error again quickly that way. Usually I eject/re-insert the disc tray, and we're good to go again.

The xbox does sit on the bottom shelf of my A/V stand with my subwoofer. The sub is on little rubber feets to minimize vibrations, and generally when this error crops up, it's not during times of loud noises. It almost always happens during loading sequences, when there's little to no audio. I don't believe it's related to the sub, but I'm open to the possibility.

I've seen these errors as close together as 20 minutes, and as far apart as several days between errors. I've been considering a cd lens cleaner, but not sure how the xbox reacts to that, or if this may even be my problem or not.

Is this a known issue with the 360? Would laying my 360 flat possibly help? Is this something that is worth contacting Microsoft for a repair? Any other tricks that may help?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Erandus on

• Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have mine laying flat, and it happens occasionally. It's a Microsoft product, what you gonna do? Just eject the disk, wipe it off, and stick it back in.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    It's a Microsoft product, what you gonna do?

That's what I was imagining would be the answer, just hoping there might be some sort of solution.

I can just envision this happening about 50 of 58 songs through the rockband endless setlist, followed by my xbox flying through my tv.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]