As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[mini-phalla] Gerrinius VII was delicious

PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Critical Failures
“How long did they breed there in the darkness? Waiting, biding their time, building their power. Billions of citizens, so many weak minds. Their faith in the Emperor wavered but a moment, and a legion of foes grew in its stead. Did each force see it’s opposite, growing and festering in other back alleys? There is no way to tell.

The Garrison of the Hive Cluster Phallinous fell first. A great swarm of alien beasts rose up out of some decrepit factory and began slaughtering citizens with abandon. In reaction, black storms appeared, and foul heretics stormed out to meet this alien menace. Thick acid melted millennial old armor, obscene curses struck down sweeping talons, unholy daemon weapons tore through flesh and scales alike. The 217th Guard was trapped right between them. They stood no chance against such monstrosities. Governor Phallinous sent the planet’s lone Titan to deal with the situation. It detonated it’s core and cleansed the Governor’s namesake with fusion and flame till only rubble remained.

We thought that was the end, but we were fools. We underestimated our foe, and they again punished us for our weakness. Hive Cluster Tartimus is doomed, and I have no other choice. The charges will detonate soon; the plates will crack; and 10 billion souls will plunge into a boiling sea. I pray that is enough to destroy this plague. For my part, I will see this city to its end.

The Emperor Protects, but Provincial Governor Phallinous remains in Hive Cluster Intractable with a scant few Guardsmen to fend off any further enemies. I petition you, Grand Inquisitor, to send any aid at your disposal. Without aid, we will be left to the mercies of foul beasts of the warp, or disgusting Xenos mutants. The fate of Gerrinius VII lies in your hands, and the will of the Emperor.

In His Name –
Lucius Carpargus XIII
Consul Most High of Gerrinius VII
Ward of Cluster Tartimus
”
Final Transmission received by Ordo Hereticus ship Abominable Retribution from Hive World Gerrinius VII. Imperial forces requisitioned and routed to war.

Basics of Phalla:
The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village is a small number of bad guys. Normally, the bad guys all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.

Each day (normally 24-hour period) the village discusses and publicly votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator.

The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable).

Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, although how many of each role exist is most often known.

Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died is a good special.

How is this Phalla different?
1. Units - In this game, each player does not represent a single entity. Instead, each player commands a full unit of troops, with each unit varying in size depending on type and wargear choice. The units are averaged around 1000 men.

2. Wargear – Before the game begins, and before any known teammates are given, some players will be asked to select an attribute to distinguish their unit. These choices could provide any number of abilities, though they could also include drawbacks to balance things out. Before the game begins, all applicable players must PM me their selection of wargear. Discussion of choices with other players is forbidden.

3. The Grand Inquisitor – Grand Inquisitor Menturian waits above the planet in his black ship, waiting for the results of the battle. Each turn the !red vote will have a majority (80%) of his troops transported to the black ship for interrogation. Interrogation is always fatal, and rarely provides any real data. Should a unit be at less then half strength, the Interrogation will involve the entire unit. Any information gained by the Interrogation will be put in the narration next turn.

4. Attacks - Much like Phalla Royale every player is able to attack any other player every turn. PM me the intended target before voting closes. The number of kills dealt is determined by armor, numbers, and type of unit attacking. While you are able to attack every turn, it is not required.

5. Guarding – Players that do not specify an attack or specify that they are digging in will be considered entrenched. Entrenchment applies a 15% reduction to any attacks targeted at the player. This may be done as much as you like.

6. Deaths – Casualty numbers will not be listed in the thread. All players that suffered losses will be listed in the narration. All unit types that suffered losses will be listed in the narration. Example: Bob Villa suffered casualties this round
Corey Feldman suffered casualties this round
House MD had his troops sent to the Grand Inquisitor
Rick Moranis suffered total losses and was removed from the game

A unit of Firewarriors suffered losses
A unit of a Wailing Banshees suffered losses
A unit of Grey Knights suffered losses
A unit of Flash Gitz suffered losses

Miscellaneous / What I need from the players:
-20 players

-Voting ends at 10pm EST (if this is especially inconvenient, I will move it back to 11pm)

-While this game could go very quickly, it could also go very slowly. If things have stagnated, stalemated, or reached turn 6 I will call the game for the side with the strongest chance of winning.

-The game will begin once all players have received their role PMs, have responded with their wargear choices, and have received my reply with any teammate information.

-Please Please Please PM me with clarification questions about your role, your abilities, your win conditions, and so on before acting on assumptions. Anything you are supposed to know, I want you to be totally clear on.

-Xenos = Tyranids in this case. There are no Tau, Ork, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Squats or Necron in this game.

-For the purpose of simplicity I am having the Inquisition act as a catch all character rather than specifically anti-Alien, anti-Daemon or anti-Heretic. Yes, I know there are separate Ordos involved.

-There are a large number of different groups, win conditions and abilities, with no specific villager PM. I will provide any inquiring bad guys with enough information to not be caught outright in any meta-game trap if they aren't clever enough to look up an example for themselves online.

-Do not share role PMs

-Do not contact other players anonymously

-Retractions are not needed. I will count the last vote every player makes as his or her official vote.

-I would prefer players that know the ropes, as this is a complicated game. However, I will not turn away anyone who is willing to play the game.

-On request (or automatically if I get enough requests) I will furnish you with your potential max kill rate every turn.

-I will always tell you how many troops you have remaining at the beginning of a turn if you have been attacked.

-This is partially a Test Mechanic game. I will be asking for feedback when the game is over. Please help me out and tell me what you think.

-For the love of God participate, not playing makes the game less fun for everyone. I will bring in reserves or eliminate you for the game if I don’t feel you are adequately participating.

Barebones fake role example:
You are… a Nob crew! You’ze boyz is the biggest and the stompiest! Take them 700 boyz and lead them on a proper WAAAAAAGGGGHHH!! Kill 400 men per turn till half the boyz are dead. Then kill 150. You win when all them humies is dead.
Is your boyz:
1. Lovin’ the Dakka dakka dakka – Shoot 100 more troops per turn, but start with 200 less men.
2. Nice ‘n ‘Ard – Armor give youze 10% protection from attacks every turn. You only kill 300 per turn.
3. Storm Boyz – Every other turn, your attacks go first.

Players:
1. Rend - Wiped out
2. Infidel
3. Oatway
4. MacSpectre
5. Valkun
6. New Daddy Squashua!
7. Typhus733 - Wiped out
8. Whod
9. Zanmatto
10. Zellpher
11. Asukui
12. Shamus
13. Mr. Embarkation
14. Zot
15. B:L
16. iamtheaznman
17. Grundlterror- Wiped out
18. DevoutlyApathetic
19. Obbi - Wiped out
20. Robothero

Reserves:
1. Zerg Rush
2. Koan
3. False Emperor Precisionk
4. Gumpy
5. Crono729

Now, Blood for the Blood God!

Turn 1 Results
Turn 2 Results
Turn 3 Results
End Game

PsychoLarry1 on

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !Sign upz!

Rend on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !blud for the blud god

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wasn't it orks and tau you loved Rend? Because I didn't use them in my game just to spite you!

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !Skulls for the skull throne!

Oats on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !sign up!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !WAAAAAAAAAGH

I know there are no orkz, but still. :| Waaagh.

Valkun on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    !sign up - At the current rate, my fantastic Jar Jar Dress will probably get me booted from the Fashion Phalla today, even though by all right, I should have won today's vote.

Squashua on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why are all of you decked out in Power Ranger avatars?

Clearly the sign of heretics! PURGE THEM.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !Sign Up

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    WhodWhod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !Sign up

Whod on
    Co-lead, Hello Kitty Pretty Princess Guild
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !Sign Up

Righteous.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    Why are all of you decked out in Power Ranger avatars?

Clearly the sign of heretics! PURGE THEM.

I think it has something to do with Disgaea, as everyone did it in answer to the Disgaea Phalla.

I just made mine to try to get in good with the gang, not that I had any prior knowledge.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wasn't it orks and tau you loved Rend? Because I didn't use them in my game just to spite you!

:(

I like tau, and orks have the coolest system of, like, cool energy ever (waaaahhh! ftw).

Tau is the coolest too...! D:

Rend on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rend wrote: »

I like tau, and orks have the coolest system of, like, cool energy ever (waaaahhh! ftw).

Waaagh!, brother Rend. Waaagh!

Oats on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oatway wrote: »

Waaagh!, brother Rend. Waaagh!

It works cuz we think it duz! WWAAAAAHHHHH!

Rend on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NURGLE BE PRAISED!!! SIGNUP!

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also tau are gay.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zellpher wrote: »
    Also tau are gay.

Your mom's a tau.

Rend on
  • Options
    AsukuiAsukui Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sign-up as well,m but with slightly less enthusiasm than Zellpher

Asukui on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also tau are gay.

Your mom's a tau.

Suuure, enjoy your Gundam-Space-commie-Shooty loser army. Real men play with Dakka or daemons.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also tau are gay.

Your mom's a tau.

Suuure, enjoy your Gundam-Space-commie-Shooty loser army. Real men play with Dakka or daemons.

Killing you is for the greater good.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The greater good can kiss my putrid, pestilence-ridden ass.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sign me the fuck up

Shamus on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !sign up

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Some of you seem unclear on the subject, so let me edjumacate you: it's not waaaaaahhhhh! it's WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yep, booted from the Fashion Phalla. :(

Squashua on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can I be the necrons. That is all I play on computer.

M.D. on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    !SIGN UP

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Something I've been wondering: is the title of this game a reference to Klax?

Squashua on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Something I've been wondering: is the title of this game a reference to Klax?

!exterminatus Squashua

Suffer not the Squashua to live.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    New Daddy Squashua has to go change a fucking diaper.

Squashua on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !SIGN UP!

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Squash, "In the grim darkness of the 41st century, there is only war" is the tag line for Warhammer 40k.
    Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh god, I want to play in this game so bad but I know I won't be around for 6+ hours before closing on at least half the days :(.

Best of luck to the participants and may the ruinous powers emerge victorious.

Last Son on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    !sign up

did i make it?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As a loyal servant of the Emperor, I'd like to sign up as a reserve.

To clarify, I am very interested in reading the reports and seeing how this play mechanic goes. However, since I have no prior experience playing in a phalla (although I understand the mechanics), I'd much rather let my spot be taken by someone who knows what they're doing. If the game looks like it needs more players to run or anything, I'd be happy to step in though.

As an aside, I'm a bit curious on how attack mechanics run... if this is the wrong place to ask (or if we're not allowed to know) then just let me know.
    4. Attacks - Much like Phalla Royale every player is able to attack any other player every turn. PM me the intended target before voting closes. The number of kills dealt is determined by armor, numbers, and type of unit attacking. While you are able to attack every turn, it is not required.

5. Guarding – Players that do not specify an attack or specify that they are digging in will be considered entrenched. Entrenchment applies a 15% reduction to any attacks targeted at the player. This may be done as much as you like.

Does this mean that any unit you attack automatically attacks you back? How are multiple attacks (IE, everybody jumps on the red vote) worked out?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh !sign up, I can't help myself.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    !I have waited long for this day.

finally, back to bein' familiar with the theme.

Obbi on