As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Heating/Cooling

quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Not sure if this is in the right place, but this shouldnt take too long anyways.

My launch Wii was experiencing a bit of the graphics card rot that was going around. I sent it in and just got a new one back today. Problem is I have noticed that when the Wii is in standby mode, it gets much warmer than my first one. To prevent the same problem from occuring again, I am debating whether or not to get a cooling fan to keep it somewhat cooler.

After doing some searching, I have found this fan and am wondering what you all think about these fans. I looked around and it seems that the consensus is to avoid these at all costs. Does anyone have any experience with this or should I just ditch standby mode entirely and just shut my console off when I am done with it (which means no blue light for me :()

quovadis13 on

• Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got that same fan after I had to have my first Wii replaced as well. It definitely cools the Wii down, but it's loud as hell. I'd say that it's almost as loud as a regular tabletop fan on a low setting. If you can stand the noise and want the extra insurance I would recommend it, but I find that I've had it unplugged for a couple of weeks and only plug it in when I know I'm going to be playing for a long time.

Trevor on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok is card rot becoming a big problem? I've had mine replaced and now one of my friends needs to replace his too(I know anecdotal).

Handkor on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know mine died because I wasn't thinking and had something set on it while it was in standby mode, but I also haven't heard much about it as of late. I'm not sure if it was just an early model problem or if I've just been super careful and just haven't heard about any more of it by chance.

Trevor on