As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Another College thread

JastJast Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
If you've graduated, where did you attend? If you are a current student, where are you one? If you are applying, which schools did you send apps to?

I thought I might start a new thread since it the application time of the year, and the old one is ten months old. Any people going to Appalachian State?

Edit: Also, don't just post and leave. Discuss, ask questions, get answers, that sort of stuff. I don't want this to turn into a poll thread.

Jast39.png
Jast on

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pacific Lutheran University what what rep-re-sent y'all

Hacksaw on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm a junior at Emerson College.
    I have mixed feelings about that.

Hachface on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Big Appalachian State fan right here. ;-)

I'm going to Ohio State right now (graduating in June), and I know a few people on the boards who are also here but I've never actually met them in person. I did my applications a long time ago when I lived in PA so besides OSU, I applied to Penn State, Pittsburgh, Lehigh, Penn, and Notre Dame. I forgot where I got accepted but Pittsburgh was my second choice.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't leave us hanging. Tell us why you have mixed feelings Hachface.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sophomore at University of South Carolina BITCHES. But I do have a few friends at Appalachian. Is that where you are, Jast?

Grey Ghost on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    University of Washington, senior.

ege02 on
    edited December 2007
    I want to go to Appalachian, i'm not in college yet. I want to major in computer information systems.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doing my EE thing at Montana State University. Didn't apply anywhere else, because I was living in Bozeman (damn dirty townies) and my then-girlfriend (now wife) was going to MSU.

Overall I like it. Small class sizes are nice, because getting actual face-time with your professors is easy even in those large freshman classes. They also kind suck, because at least in my major (which is a small department) often classes are offered at one time, one semester, every other year. Particularly when you get into 300/400-level electives. Makes building a schedule a pain in the ass, and means sometimes you simply won't get the electives you want. Ever.

mcdermott on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm in my first semester at Kent State right now, and the professors are all pretty great. The only bad part is, for either the first two years here, or until I find a really cheap apartment (whichever comes first) I'm commuting. 25 minute drives each way? Not fun. Also fewer national guard shootings occur than I was led to believe would. False advertising.

Mai-Kero on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jast wrote: »
    Don't leave us hanging. Tell us why you have mixed feelings Hachface.

On one hand, I've managed to find some really great professors and classes. On the other hand, Emerson is a bit over-specialized. Its majors are WLP (Writing, Literature, and Publishing; a more practical English, I guess), Theater, Musical Theater, Journalism, Marketing, and that's about it. The general atmosphere is extremely careerist and decidedly non-academic. I'm surrounded at all times by pretentious artistes who never have any idea what they're talking about. And the academic atmosphere is actively hostile to mathematics and science. I had to arranged an independent study with the sole philosophy professor just to take an Introduction to Logic course.

On the up-side, classes that are actually in my major (WLP, going for a BFA) are consistently excellent. Especially the literature courses.

Hachface on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    University of Tennessee, junior.

Shogun on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I graduated from the University of Bristol (second best faculty in the country as I did so) with the title FIRST CLASS MASTER OF SCIENCE. And then as two of the three jobs I applied for rejected me I went back to do a PhD in the hope they'll let me be Willy Wonka when I'm Dr Mojo Jojo.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ohio State, graduating in June, majoring in Computer and Information Science.

Veritas, I knew you went to OSU, but I didn't realize we were in the same class. Sheezus, who are you?

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    GaTech, baby. Sophomore in Architecture.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    People going to OSU:

Should I transfer there to finish my Journalism degree (if I end up liking it, anyway) or stick with Kent State?

I ask this because OSU is a bit larger than Kent, and I'm wondering if that translates to higher quality, or just more douchebags drinking Jagermeister.

Mai-Kero on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I graduated from Texas A&M. I absolutely love my school. It's a huge campus with typically large classes. Great engineering, business, and ag-related programs. Greek enrollment is some of the lowest in the nation as A&M is pretty much like a big fraternity in itself. The student body is closely knit and adheres to strict (strict) traditions. Also, we have the best damn gameday environment in NCAAF (IMHO).

It is also regarded as the most conservative public campus in the nation, so keep that in mind while applying.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited December 2007
    I edited the first post, I want to get some good college related discussions going on also. Don't just post and leave, stick around, tell people about your college. Don't just say you go to college X. Say what you like and dislike about your college, reccomend it to other people, etc.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • BErdaBErda Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Freshmen at Montana State. I've enjoyed it thus far.

BErda on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Master's student in English lit at the University of Ottawa.

It is a decidedly mediocre university, with a lot of franco/anglo politics messing things up, and some significant admin problems, but that also allows to me to work more hours than I'm technically supposed to according to my graduate contract. This is important because I like money.

The profs, by and large, are quite good, it's just the university itself that kinda sucks.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited December 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    People going to OSU:

Should I transfer there to finish my Journalism degree (if I end up liking it, anyway) or stick with Kent State?

I ask this because OSU is a bit larger than Kent, and I'm wondering if that translates to higher quality, or just more douchebags drinking Jagermeister.
    I don't know much about our Journalism department. Our student newspaper, The Lantern, is more or less trash, but I don't see how OSU could be any worse than Kent State. The Ohio school that's known for its journalism is OU.

I'd say if you're motivated and can afford it, come to OSU. The key idea here is that we have any resource you could ever possibly want, due to our size, but it's not going to be spoonfed to you.

Never underestimate the number of douchebags drinking Jagermeister, though. We have a reputation to live up to, damnit!

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I applied Early Decision to Washington University in St. Louis and I find out on the 15th of December... but I'm not holding my breath since they're notorious for denying people who live in Missouri (I live in downtown St. Louis). Also applying to UPenn, Tufts, William & Mary, and Johns Hopkins once I get rejected.

Convael on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alumni of Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. I graduted in 2002 so I was going to school the years Dwyane Wade played basketball there, that made going to games a blast. The school is fun, but realize it is a private midwestern Jesuit Catholic college, lots of well off white kids who think highly of themselves (by contrast I grew up on a farm in western Wisconsin).

I did Computer Science there and it was fun, the comp sci faculty are all goofy middle age old time computer guys so classes with them were informative but not too boring. I learned a lot and they have some great facilities for the Math and Computer Sciences department.

I live up in St Paul, MN now and wish I could get back down there more often, Milwaukee is a great town and if I could have found a decent computer job down there when I graduated I would have stayed (last 2002, early 2003, bad time to be a comp sci grad in Milwaukee).

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Senior at Ohio University here.

Athens rocks out loud.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    USC is a pretty cool place. I'm a psych major right now, but I'm probably gonna switch soon to something like International Studies, 'cause I want to work for the CIA.

Columbia is a cool town, but it feels really small for a state capital. It's not nearly as big as a place like Charlotte. Still offers way more to do than the shit redneck town I went to high school in.

Grey Ghost on
  • elijahtaryelijahtary Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, Major in Environmental Science, Minors in Chemistry and Mathematics. Everyone goes home on the weekends, so me and my roommates drink. A lot.

elijahtary on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Third-year Aerospace Engineering student at the Georgia Institute of Technology. I hate it, and I especially hate Atlanta. I wish we could somehow resurrect General Sherman to burn the place down again.

CycloneRanger on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Graduate of Auburn University, WAR DAMN EAGLE!

BA in Criminology, and I stopped ten hours shy of a minor in Psychology because minors don't really do jack in the real world unless you're in a highly specialized field. (Just my opinion, good luck to anyone getting a minor)

I loved college, it won't ever call it the best years of my life, because I've still got a long way to go (hopefully) but I had a great time. Auburn is a big school, and there's a lot to do, but it's not known for being some huge party school. It's got a very traditional look in both the campus and the town.

I also applied and was accepted to NYU, (just to see if I could get in), Florida State University, and the air force academy. (which I turned down, then broke my ankle in five places, pretty much sealing the deal on me never having a military career)

Since this is a general college thread, prospective students, make sure to apply to several different schools. Have fallbacks. Have a lot of options.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • lesserbeinglesserbeing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MSU Junior in Studio arts. Wow, that's three now.

lesserbeing on
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Post removed by user.

Katholic on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Since this is a general college thread, prospective students, make sure to apply to several different schools. Have fallbacks. Have a lot of options.

Very yes.

I was dead-set on going to Penn State all my life, but there was a series of events that cause me to change my mind in a hurry right before I had to decide where to go. I also applied to the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs (with the Senator signatures and everything) but my family made some good arguments to dissuade me.

In reality, most of the college courses in the larger majors are going to be similar no matter where you go. Psychology is psychology, and professors come from all over the world and are rather dispersed in all the schools. I had some materials engineering profs from Harvard, Stanford, Washington, Eindhoven (Netherlands), Beijing, and so many other amazing places.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Applying to CUNY hunter, CUNY Queens, CUNY Brooklyn, and Purchase.

Will major in Poli Sci, with minors in (maybe) English, Theater, but definitely a foreign language.

Ethan Smith on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sophomore at Columbia University, recently declared Applied Math major... what I intend to do with that, I have no idea, but all I know is I dread PDEs next semester.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Senior at Binghamton University (SUNY). Good school. And a plus, lots of jews, so we get all the jewish holidays off.

Financial Economics major, hopefully i'll be finding a job in the next month . . .

geckahn on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cyphr wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    People going to OSU:

I don't know much about our Journalism department. Our student newspaper, The Lantern, is more or less trash, but I don't see how OSU could be any worse than Kent State. The Ohio school that's known for its journalism is OU.

I'd say if you're motivated and can afford it, come to OSU. The key idea here is that we have any resource you could ever possibly want, due to our size, but it's not going to be spoonfed to you.

Never underestimate the number of douchebags drinking Jagermeister, though. We have a reputation to live up to, damnit!

We have a very good print journalism program, so if you're interested in writing or editing, then we could be a good choice. If your interests lie in broadcast journalism, I would probably recommend staying at Kent or transfering to OU if you really want to leave KSU.

As for me, I earned by BA at The Ohio State University. I currently work here in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and I hope to start a Masters program here next year (which OSU would pay for:))

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited December 2007
    Ha, so VeritasVR and I just learned that not only do we know each other, we lived 2 rooms apart freshmen year. Crazy.

I'll third (fourth?) the suggestion to apply to many schools. I got accepted into Rose-Hulman and University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), both of which are excellent computer science schools - probably far better than OSU. However, because I am apparently a lucky bastard, I was a National Merit Scholar, and listing OSU as my first choice guaranteed me a full tuition + $4500/yr stipend scholarship here.

For me, graduating debt-free, and filling in the gaps in the curriculum on my own, has seemed the better choice than going to a slightly better school and paying off loans for the next 20 years. But everyone's situation is different, which is why it pays to have options.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • CapnCapn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Colorado University representing, and eat it Oklahoma. Great place if you like hippies and liberals.

Capn on
  • Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A Junior at the Brooklyn Campus of Long Island University. Blackbirds shout-out whateverthefuckever.

Majoring in Journalism, actively writing for the Seawanhaka Press.

Transferred out of the University of Connecticut because it blew.

Alternatively, transferred here because it's boss. Take your pick.

Wyvern998 on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cyphr wrote: »
    Ha, so VeritasVR and I just learned that not only do we know each other, we lived 2 rooms apart freshmen year. Crazy.

I'll third (fourth?) the suggestion to apply to many schools. I got accepted into Rose-Hulman and University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), both of which are excellent computer science schools - probably far better than OSU. However, because I am apparently a lucky bastard, I was a National Merit Scholar, and listing OSU as my first choice guaranteed me a full tuition + $4500/yr stipend scholarship here.

For me, graduating debt-free, and filling in the gaps in the curriculum on my own, has seemed the better choice than going to a slightly better school and paying off loans for the next 20 years. But everyone's situation is different, which is why it pays to have options.

I'd say lucky, we cut the stipend on the National Merit award this year.;-)

Also, I'll throw in for applying to a number of schools. Trust me, wanting to go to a school since you were old enough to walk is not a good enough reason to get in and no amount of arguing or complaining is going to change that decision.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've applied to the Cognitive Artificial Intelligence program at Utrecht University. I've got an obscenely messed up high school career though, so I need to take some additional math entrance tests next month. If I just get a passing grade, I'm in, huzzah.

I'm really excited about the whole thing, the program seems interesting as all hell and everything is rather small-scale with the facilities of a large university.

I have no clue about what to do for a back-up plan, though. The only other programs that've piqued my interest that I meet the requirements for only accept a very limited amount people. I'll probably apply to all of them anyway, but still, bleah.

Rhaka on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to be a Senior in the Spring, attending Lamar University for Electrical Engineering. It's not the greatest school, but it's pretty good. It's fairly small (about 10,000 students), has a good Engineering school, and has relatively cheap tuition. For people who've never heard of it, we're a member of the Texas State University system, and we're located in the Southeast Texas area. It's funny, because this was basically the last place I wanted to go to college initially, but now that I've been here for three years, I'm really glad I ended up here.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie