Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Game On] SW:Saga - War of the Star Forge

InfidelInfidel HereticRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Critical Failures
Star Wars: Saga
War of the Star Forge


<OOC Thread link>

Seventeen years ago the Mandalorians, aware the Republic was in a weakened state, began conquering small worlds on the Outer Rim.

The Mandalorian forces had been devastated during the previous Exar Kun War. Mandalore the Ultimate, leader of the Mandalorian people, fashioned a new army of warriors by reuniting the remnant clans and recruiting outside species. These Neo-Crusaders carved out a vast territory outside of Republic systems. The Republic did not intervene, wishing to avoid another war, but inevitably they were drawn in by tensions as the Mandalorians encroached on Republic systems and interests.

A massive Mandalorian invasion, later dubbed The Onslaught, hit the Republic. The navy and military responded and full out war was on their hands. The Republic petitioned the Jedi Council for aid, but the Jedi Masters were hesitant to join in this battle. Many of the Jedi wished to support the Republic however and these Jedi Crusaders, recruited and led by the Jedi Revan and Malak, fought along with the Republic armies in response to the Mandalorian threat and provocations.

The Republic forces commanded by Revan defeated the Mandalorians at Malachor V after years of grueling losses on both sides. Revan and Malak led much of the Republic Navy out into the Unknown Regions to hunt down the scattered Mandalorians. A year later, they returned with a massive armada consisting of veteran soldiers, ships, and officers that used to belong to the Republic as well as even more of unknown origin. They declare themselves the Sith Empire and so begins the Second Sith War.

The galaxy ends one struggle only to start another. Many flock to the Sith banner including the defecting Admiral Saul Karath, a hero from the Mandalorian War that brings with him even more Republic ships and forces. The Sith conquest marches over the Republic, entrenching themselves for a bitter war.

The ranks of the Sith swell as many feel the Republic may fall. Soldiers are recruited, mercenaries and bounty hunters offer their services, and even some from the Jedi defect. Revan establishes military bases, strongholds, and Sith academies to organize this war machine. There is much opportunity for those who align with the Sith...

sith_forces.jpg

Infidel on
TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
«13

Posts

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dreshdae was a settlement on Korriban. The only settlement, truthfully. No one in their right mind would dare attempt to make a landing anywhere else, not with the Sith Empire ready to blast them from the skies. The planet was a stronghold not just for the Sith but also the Czerka Corporation, it's head office established in Dreshdae.

    Perch Bodom and his crew set down the Infidel at the lone starport. The Duros and his Twi'lek and human companions disembarked, the port officer collecting a docking fee and entering the transport ships transponder code into the registry. As they made their way through the gate to the port authority Perch turned to Lomi and Premus.

    "I will go to The Drunk Side and meet our employer, meet me back here in one standard hour." he stated matter-of-factly. Premus gave a curt nod in acknowledgement and Lomi flashed a twisted little smile at the Duros before they made off to take care of their own errands.

    Dreshdae port, and indeed much of the facility, was a cold and practical construction of durasteel. It stood in stark contrast of the ancient stone make of the nearby Sith Academy. The durasteel and mercenaries suited Perch just fine, it was the academy and it's peculiar students that he always preferred to avoid during his brief visits. They were highly volatile and made him, well, nervous.

    Perch scanned the cantina upon entrance. It was dim as always, thrumming music that was also dimmed, dancers writhing to it's rhythm with their skin bathed in multi-coloured light. Officers, corporates, unsavories, and the odd Sith or few. The Nikto bartender humourlessly served a patron his drink, translucent blue with a tinge of glow to it. Perch stalked up to the bar and the Nikto, known colloquially as 'Nick', turned to face him with a straight, passionless smile.

    "What you want?"

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch slid a few credits across the bar, his eyes gliding across the bar out of nervous habit as much as desire to spot his contact.
    "Lum."

    Accepting the cup with a nod, Perch turned to lean against the bar, surveying the rest of the tables behind him for Lieutenant Bavin over the rim of his drink.

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In one corner a Devaronian drops some credits into the open palm of a middle-aged human, his other hand sliding a few slim vials of red and yellow across the table.

    At the next booth there are a few Sith in officer's uniforms apparently sharing some off-duty time. All of them are human but none of them appear to be Lieutenant Bavin.

    At the card tables, the sabaac remain empty at the moment but a couple pazaak games are being played that you take note of.

    One game is a Bith versus a Gamorrean, the other is a Dug pitted against a Twi'lek.

    There are a dozen or so other patrons that do not attract your further attention.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch took a steadfast interest in his drink, and began speaking in a quiet tone to the bartender.
    "Nick, I'm sure you're a busy man, lots of a cleaning to do and what not..." Perch's eyes flicked quickly from the scene off to his left and back to his drink. "... but I was wondering if you've seen an associate of mine, a Sith officer, Lieutenant Bavin..." Perch idly rubbed a few credits together between his fingers.

    Out of the corner of his eye, Perch tried to gauge the reaction of the Sith table to gamorrean's violent outburst.

  • XaiberDXaiberD Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Premus waited a moment, fiddling with the pistols on his belt. This place made him uneasy, but he trusted Perch. After he saw the captain disappear into the cantina, he headed in through another entrance.

    There was some grunting and squealing, a Bith waved its arms frantically and then was promptly cut down. Premus smiled grimly, barely in the bar for a minute and they'd already witnessed some street justice. Somehow they always managed to find these places. He was sure to head to the opposite side of the bar as his captain. If Perch had of wanted him near, he would have asked.

    "Corellian Twister." He growled to the bartender, who turned to make the drink. "Should get one of yer cleanin' droids out here. Someones gonna slip on something." He nodded towards the Bith on the floor in a pool of blood. Sniffing his drink as it was handed to him, at least they finally found a cantina that could make a decent Twister. Perch seemed to be discussing something with the other bartender, so Premus busied himself looking through the crowd, trying to see why he didn't trust this stop.
    Spoiler:

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The clash of training weapons rang out from down the hall, the academy walls of carefully worked stone echoing the noise. The presence Garum felt here was primal, ruthless. Sith hopefuls came here to study at the feet of masters, and there was no mistaking the animosity between them all. The Sith made it exceedingly clear that only the strong and cunning will be allowed within these walls.

    A green-skinned Twi'lek, known by the name Jinna'ves, passed Garum Pakti as he proceded to the central assembly chamber. Jinna smirked in contempt at Garum, his red eyes as sharp as the jagged teeth he revealed. Garum betrayed no annoyance so as not to give Jinna the satisfaction. The Twi'lek may have earned a wide berth from the rest of the students but Garum thought him overrated. Still, wise not to cross him. Yet.

    A line of fresh hopefuls stood before a human in dark flowing robes. Not that Garum had been here long himself, but these four were pathetic. They reeked of fear and nervous panic, despite appearing calm and composed. The robed figure seemed to have made the same assessment, his arms folded before his broad chest and disappointment visibly on his face. Holding his arms this way parted the fall of the robes, exposing the intimidating physique and lightsaber dangling at his hip.

    "Yuthura is scraping the dredges of recruits now I see," noted Master Niklas. "Leave now for your quarters. Or just leave. I recommend the latter," he dismissed.

    The four glanced about to see what the others were thinking. After a moment of hesitation and a disconcerting stare from Niklas they began to file towards the student barracks. The Sith master turned to address Garum casually.

    "Ah, Garum." Niklas held his firm stance. "There is a task for you."

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch noticed a male human officer start to rise at the commotion with the Gamorrean and Bith, but then he sighed and slowly sat back down after a closer look. The other officers watched their friend silently during this, but soon they resumed their drinks and chatter.

    Nick grunted a 'negative' as he reached for the caller to the cleaning droid.

    Premus, you noticed the middle-aged human leave rather hastily when things got messy, paying more attention to the patrons instead of the scene. One Rodian at the bar seemed about to leave before the bartender that served you slammed a fresh drink down in front of him meaningly.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Garum took his place at the side of Master Niklas, bowing his head in respect. For a moment, the two walked the hall in silence, broken finally when Garum spoke.

    "Master, I-- I don't wish to overstep my bounds, but this new batch of recruits worries me. They seem to be more chaff than grain, and not worth the harvest. How can we expect to be victorious if--

    "Forgive me, Master, it is not my place to question. How may I serve the Sith?"

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Niklas smirked as they stepped the halls, hands clasped behind his back. "As you put it, the chaff is inevitably separated from the grain. Concern yourself with your own status."

    His face was all business again. "Speaking of which, you have an opportunity to increase it."

    Garum held in his anticipation.

    Niklas slowed his pace slightly and took in a breath. "The military has requested some assistance from the academy. Smugglers transporting a commandeered shipment of kolto were intercepted just prior to their rendezvous at Dxun. Their crew and cargo are currently impounded on Onderon, and the military wishes to recover it, the cargo of course. The military feels that it will take more than hiring more smugglers, since they likely will end up being captured as well. They cannot hope to take it by force with their soldiers either, but the kolto shipment is significant to the war effort."

    Garum knew what was coming next.

    "Therefore they need to send a versatile and strong few, and requested of the headmaster to send someone. You will go to Onderon aboard a smuggler's ship and bring back the waylaid shipment. Forgo your studies for today, the ship leaves soon. Meet the captain of the Infidel at his ship in one hour."

    Sudden but a good chance to garner some prestige and favour, Garum decided.

    "Oh and Garum," Niklas said with the cocking of his head, savouring something apparently humourous. "Bring the Gamorrean with you."

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch sighed and sunk onto his bar stool. He wanted to give Bavin a few more minutes, but Perch had the feeling their payment wasn't coming today.
    What I like the least about not getting paid, Perch thought, squinting one eyed into the bottom of his mug Is how little money there is in it. Grimacing at the thought, Perch downed the rest of his lum, rose and sauntered towards the table of Sith officers.

    "Begging your pardon, I was wondering if any of you know Lieutenant Bavin? I was to meet him here with regards to some work I have completed in service..." Perch gave the slightest bow with his head "but he hasn't shown. I don't suppose you were sent in his stead?"

  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Annoyed at being the brunt of his Master's... unique humor, Garum knew better than to voice his irritation.

    "At once, Master. I will not fail." Smirking somewhat less mirthfully than Niklas, he added, "And perhaps this time when I find Klaggrak, he won't have destroyed the cantina again."

    With that, Garum bowed to his master, then turned on his heel and walked out of the academy towards the Dreshdae starport.

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lomi was for once, less than interested in the tavern scene and didn't want to get involved with whatever everyone else was doing, that was usually a safer bet. It had been a while since she had seen a ship other than the Infidel so she decided to take a look around to see what everyone else was flying in.

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Up closer, Perch glanced the gamorrean over again. He counted at least two weapons he'd missed before.
    A liability. Don't get involved. ....but i am bored...
    Perch spotted Premus sidling into a booth across the room, and that settled it. Backup was available, he could risk a fight if it came to it.

    "I might, I might... I'm not sure we'd make good opponents though - I'm a cheater." Perch grinned and raised his mug to the tusked figure beside him.

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    (Before Perch returned to the bar.)

    The male officer looked over the Duros quickly and shook his head. "Sorry friend, I don't have any idea what your business is with Bavin or where he is." The man resumes his conversation with the others, dismissing Perch without another mark of attention.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lomi takes a stroll about the port, checking out what the hangars have in store. Nothing much catches her eye; they're all freighters and transports more hunks of junk than the Infidel. A couple of those unique Sith fighters are docked in one hangar, but she can't get a closer view with all the personnel and Sith about.

    She takes up a seat on a shipping crate outside their own hangar, checking over her gear and watching the people milling about the starport. She recognizes a Sith officer leaving the gates and heading into Dreshdae proper. It's Bavin, so hopefully this business is concluded quickly and we can get the frek off this rock, Lomi thinks to herself.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Pleasure's mine, Klaggrakh. Perch Bodom, captain and pilot of the Infidel." Perch settled across the table from the gamorrean and tried not to get too lucky, keeping an eye out for his contact.

    Spoiler:

  • XaiberDXaiberD Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Premus saw his captain approaching the volatile Gamorrean, and start talking with... it. Please don't let him be trying to recruit... The ship smells bad enough as is... Premus thought, his eye twitching slightly at the thought of a Gamorrean in a confined space...

    Swiveling back around to the bar, Premus waved in the bartender, and ordered another Twister. "Rough place." He muttered, looking over at the jumpy Rodian. "What brings you here." He said, checking over the patron.
    Spoiler:

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch Bodom steps around the cleaning droid, the blood now thoroughly removed, and he takes a seat across from Klaggrakh. The droid skitters off into a service hatch which promptly clamps shut. The Gamorrean gives his fresh opponent a tusky grin while feigning a shrewd cunning behind those beady eyes, as if expecting to soak him for all his hard-earned cred.

    Lieutenant Bavin's boots sounded as they hit the grated walkway each step, the footfall telling of a military man. He made his way to the cantina, passing two humans dragging a Bith corpse away, and spotted Perch soon after entering. He's made such wonderful acquaintance I see. Bavin strode directly towards the pazaak table the Duros was seated at.

    Perch looked up at Bavin as he approached, despite being leery of taking his eyes off his foe and the table. "Pazaak? Was I keeping you waiting too long?" Bavin questioned sardonically. Perch shook his head and excused himself from the table on business, scooping up his credits. Klaggrakh grunted, being robbed of another mark but there was nothing he could do about this one.

    From across the bar Premus watches as the two step aside, standing face to face. Bavin explains the next job. Kolto 'shipment' was intercepted by Onderon authorities, secure the shipment and bring it back to Dreshdae. He produces a couple flimsi that contain further details which Perch briefly scans and then slips inside his vest. Bavin spills the payment and the terms.

    Of interest is that two others will be going with them. Perch doesn't like it. But the credits are good.

    "And about the last job," Perch chimes in. "Our payment?"

    "Ah yes, payment." Bavin smiled. "Your advance was made already and the remainder paid off the balance owing for parts and services from your last visit to Dreshdae. Well, actually the bill was squared away with one hundred and fifty credits to spare. Here you are then." The lieutenant holds out the measly cred stick with satisfaction. Blast. Perch would have preferred to settle that debt later, or not at all if possible.

    Bavin steps in place alertly, snapping his hands behind his back. "That will be all, I think. Remember to meet at your ship within the hour, the academy will be sending the two to accompany you there." He turns and marches out, booted steps trailing off.
    __________________________________

    In search of Klaggrakh, Garum Pakti heads directly to the cantina. Even if that fool is not to be found there his stench and swath of destruction will take you in the right direction.

    Naturally, there he was.

    Premus took note of Garum immediately, keeping a wary eye on him as he heads straight for the Gamorrean. Klaggrakh was picking up his credits and fastening his belongings when he caught Garum's presence.

    "Quit killing patrons, Klagg, we have a mission," Garum patronizes as he approaches him, noticing the remnant bloodstains and the lingering death in the Force. "I would hate to have to send your skin to the Master as proof of your incompetence."

    Klaggrakh grunts and squeals. <You watch self or Master be sent some of you instead.>

    Garum dismisses the retort. "Get whatever it is you need, we must meet the crew of the Infidel soon. We are headed to Onderon." Klaggrakh's expression changes from hostility to dumbfoundment. He points a meaty hand at Perch and Premus, standing together at the bar, and squeals.

    Narrowing his eyes at Klaggrakh, Garum looks at the two. Turning his stare back to Klaggrakh he quips. "Perhaps you aren't as worthless as you look."
    __________________________________

    The Infidel breaks dock and rotates about, thrusters angling the ship skywards as the engines kick in. It isn't long before they see stars and calculate the jump for the Onderon system. Starlines bleed as they make the jump to hyperspace.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch flicked the comm.
    >click< "We've jumped. Let me take a moment to welcome our new associates on board the Infidel, and remind you to not touch anything." >click<
    Spoiler:

  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lomi continued her duties on the ship ever watchful of the two new additions. She was interested in them, but not interested enough to go talk to them, especially not the Gamorrean. She wasn't very fond of their berserker like attitude toward... everything.

    Her mind then drifted to more important matters. 50 creds seemed like a small payment for what they had just finished doing she thought, but pay is pay and complaining could get you sent out the airlock on some ships so she kept her mouth shut and just hoped the next job was a better haul in some way or another.

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Garum had been watching Lomi perform her ship duties, and so, bored with the silence, he spoke up, the unexpected conversation pulling Lomi from her thoughts.

    "Smuggling seems a strange trade for such a cute girl. Isn't it a little too dangerous for someone like you? I can think of several other... career choices... that wouldn't invlove risking getting that pretty little face of yours shot off." A sardonic chuckle came from his lips. "The pay's probably better too."

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lomi turned to Garum.
    "Those are some bold words," She stated as she walked toward him "You'd be amazed what this omnitool can break as opposed to fix." Pointing the item directly in Garums face. "I not a run of the mill sleazy Twi'lek that dances for creds and it would be best if you remember that from now on. This pretty little face has been a part of many unpretty things."

    Lomi went back to what she was doing, but she was far from finished with the conversation.

    "While we are dishing out assumptions what brings you on a 'strange' smuggling misson?" She huffed as she went back to what she was doing.

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Garum shrugged. "I go where commanded. In this case, I assume I am here because this mission requires special skills that the average soldier may not possess. I'm sure you understand, being a mechanic and all: the right tool for the job. Sometimes it takes a scalpel," Garum then gestured to Klaggrak, "and sometimes it takes a sledgehammer.

    "You still didn't answer my question. How did you get into this business?"

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Sometimes the sledgehammer keeps you from needing the scalpel." Lomi chuckled as she looked at the brute snorting about something.

    "I go where the business takes me. I know ships, along with some other skills that can get people out of a pinch. Let's just say most regular vessels don't want this kind of mechanic." Lomi gazed off a bit. "The captain and I ran into a situation where helping each other out ended up being beneficial for both of us, and nothing better has come along and I like the Infidel, she may not look like much but I'm comfortable on this ship." She looked around at the hulls taking in the hum of the engines as she told her story. To Lomi that sound was more beautiful than any song she had ever heard.

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Garum smiled genuinely at Lomi's words. "As long as she gets us where we need to be, she's the best ship in the galaxy."

    The smile then abruptly disappeared from his face. "But don't let anything get too familiar or comfortable, lest your enemies take advantage of your weakness."

    And with that, Garum kicked his feet up, reclined back, and closed his eyes to get some rest while he still could.

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • XaiberDXaiberD Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Premus strolled back towards the gathering, wanting to get to know the newcomers aboard the ship. When he got there, the Sith was already kicking back and trying to sleep. The Gamorrean, on the other hand, was active as Premus had only seen his type when food was involved. The creature was checking his gear over and over, ensuring everything was in working condition.

    "S'nice to see that you pay respect to yer tools." Premus said to Klaggy, leaning against the entrance leisurely. "Not somethin' I've seen much from yer kind, judging from the state of the weapons I've seen some of 'em use." He added, his gravelly voice falling quieter, not intending to offend the Gamorrean.

  • XaiberDXaiberD Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Premus chuckled, the porcine-passenger seemed annoyed with his vox-boxes. And rightly so, judging from the translations that they gave. "Boss is a bit busy right now," Premus said, "I'm sure Lomi'd love to hear ya talk about my incompetence, if ya really want to." He said, his eyes darting to Lomi who looked like she was working hard, as always.

    "You could take a lesson from this one." Premus said to Lomi, nodding at the dozing Sith. "Relaxin's much better than workin' hard all the time." His voice got a bit more worried, "Unless... there somethin' wrong with the ship?" He said, looking around. Lomi was a good mechanic, but The Infidel seemed to Premus like it'd give even the best mechanics a hard time, taking care of it. Of course, he judged that on how it looked, the bird always seemed to fly fairly smooth, compared to some things he'd been on.

  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Oh don't worry about her, shes perfectly capable. I just like to tinker, and try to get more out of her then people think capable." She smiled as she wiped her hands. "Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but either way fooling around with the ship makes me happy."

    "As for rest I got plenty while we were at dock I just need to keep things up here, better to have the ship working and the captain not screaming, then well the other way around."

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Once Perch was satisfied with the state of the nav computer and ship systems, he headed back to the common area where everyone else had gathered.

    "We should talk about what's ahead of us while we have time, and do at least some basic planning." Perch laid the small datapad he had received from Bavin on the table as he made room for himself on the bench next to Klaggy.

    "This is what we know."

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Onderon is a wild untamed planet for the most part. The only proper civilization is the walled city of Iziz, built to protect the people from the beasts of the wilds and specifically Dxun, one of it's four moons. Dxun traveled an excessively close orbit, and during the summer season it actually shared atmosphere with the planet allowing flighted beasts of the moon to come to Onderon. The taming of these invaders led to the Beast Riders, who in the past fought a great war with Iziz.

    According to the data recovered by the Sith spies, the kolto is being detained at Iziz Customs near the starport. It is simply in storage while awaiting the next Republic freighter, at which time it will be released for the Republic Army to gain from. The Republic must not get their hands on this shipment; if the primary mission of securing the kolto fails, the secondary mission is to render it useless. The payout is 5000 credits, if the kolto is destroyed then the payout will be 2000 credits.

    The files contain data on the Customs building and the employees that you may further explore. The data was compiled by the spies but is not necessarily complete.

    TwitchTV channel: OrokosPA OrokosPA
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "You know, Klaggrak, you could always grunt in Binary: one grunt for yes, two for no," Garum chuckled as he opened his eyes and sat up.

    "Iziz customs should be easy enough. Hiding behind that wall of theirs is sure to make them weak, especially when they don't have to worry about getting eaten by voracious airborne predators..."

    Garum trails off, looking off to the distance in silence, as though remembering something. A few moments later, he snaps out of his reverie and continues. "We are technically flying in a civilian version of a Republic freighter now, and I am sure the Republic army hires private contractors for this sort of work just like we do. Is there any way you could convince Iziz control that we are the Republic freighter they are expecting?"

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A smile tugging at the corner of his mouth, Perch addressed Klaggrakh.
    "The frontal assault may be effective, but I prefer the stealthier, smarter suggestion. Firstly, it allows us to be a good distance away - in theory - before they realize anything is amiss. Secondly, our cargo hold can handle a good deal more than the kolto for which we're looking. If we do a little research, we may find something else of value of which we can unburden the customs hold during our visit. That would become more difficult if forced to the timetable of a smash 'n' grab."

    Perch turned to Garum.
    "I like where you're going with that line of thought. Perhaps we are dropping off illicit materials for storage, or sent to retrieve something for transport? We may even be able to slice in and schedule an 'official' pickup or drop off."

  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "The Republic probably wants that kolto as much as us, so if we can convince them that we are the Republic freighter sent to pick it up for transport, that may make our lives a little bit easier. If you want to grab something else on the way out, I would have no problems with it, as long as it doesn't interfere with our mission.

    "It's not really my area of expertise though, so I was curious as to whether you thought it was feasible."

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Deceiving computers and people is very feasible. You might say it's feasible enough to make a job out of it." Perch's eyes moved to Lomi and Premus, grinning.
    "It's not a sure thing, though. We will need to be cautious. I'm a little more concerned about the spaceport than the customs building, to be honest. Many variables there, not as easy to fall back on muscle and expect to win if something is off. I wonder if the bays are open air or if we could get shut it by blast doors..." Perch began flicking through the datapad, looking for more information about the spaceport, brow furrowed in concentration.
    "What does everyone else think? Any suggestions?"

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Alright. The plan is to pose as third party hires for the republic. Lomi and I will forge a contract and cook up something to plug in when we arrive as far as spoofing a pickup appointment goes. Premus you'll do the talking once we're inside. You can be in charge of the operation from our end or a republic appointed inspector making sure the transport runs smoothly - whatever you think will be most buyable. Klaggrakh as a porter is probably the best bet. You may want to lighten your payload a bit, Klaggy."
    Spoiler:

    "As far as picking up anything bonus, we stick to the job unless an opportunity presents itself. I'll try to see what I can find out about what else is in that hold and work it's pickup into our scheduled transport manifest, but if that doesn't yield anything I don't want to jeopardize our success by getting greedy. If the jig is already up that's another story, though we may be a bit pressed for time at that point. If it comes to a fight, we stick to the same plan with shooting in the place of talking : get what we came for and get out."

    Perch cocked his head to the side, considering something new.

    "I don't know how much trouble the kolto is going to be, but I really don't see us being overly hampered by it. If it comes to it, we'll take the short pay over none though. Break it rather than leave it."

    The duros rose from his seat.
    "I think that's everything, unless anyone has something to add. When we arrive I want some time to go over everything and make sure our exit is secure, so let's get started."

  • XaiberDXaiberD Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Premus nodded, "I always like pretendin' to be in charge." He added with a grim smile when his role was revealed. As he listened to the rest of the plan, he nodded along, it seemed sound enough. He just at one question.

    "So, how exactly are we presenting ourselves?" Premus asked, "Weapons are a given I take, but we gonna show up with them presented? Or try ta be all sneaky and smuggle 'em with us?" While they may be able to bring in more firepower concealed, if they were discovered some bad questions might be asked as to why they're sneaking their weapons around.
    Spoiler:

  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lomi looked at Premus, "Yeah to be honest no one in their right mind travels the galaxy unarmed. I am sure if we enter with 'standard' weaponry it shouldn't be a big deal. Perhaps make sure our documents say that security is an issue with our shipment less questions will be asked." Lomi paused, "But we can't make security seem like a major issue or people will wonder why the Republic hired third party as opposed to using their own military, we need to find a nice balance. I recommend side blasters and small melee weapons only. If we falsify for a drop off, we can put the rest of our gear in there for emergencies sake and make sure we can still load everything up for a get away it should be easy as pie."

    Lomi looked to the captain for some reassurance to see if her idea was even as feasible as it sounded to her.

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch nods to Klaggrakh.
    "Most space ports will rent skiffs, but I'm not sure how accommodating this backwater mud pit is going to be. I don't like the idea of leaving more footprints than we have to though - if we can't find something at the 'port we should skip it."

    "As for weapons, carry anything you have a permit for openly, no need to be shy. Security is a part of the job, we'll be looked at a bit odd if we show up unarmed, I would think."

  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Porters don't carry weapons though, so it looks like you'll have to leave your axe beind, Klaggrak. Don't worry, though, I wouldn't dream of shooting you in the back. Besides, if a firefight breaks out, you can just cover our escape with your stench. I'd even put in for a posthumous commendation."

    Garum turned back to Perch. "I'm sure they'll have cargo sleds on site. Thay are Customs officials after all: they would need something for moving confiscated freight. If not, perhaps we can find some volunteer labor here," Garum pointed at the map, "in the holding cells."

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Perch's mouth twisted into a wry smile.

    "Garum can carry your axe, as if it were his. If trouble starts, you can grab it then. Assuming we can't just rent a skiff cheap in the 'port once we land, of course."

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.