As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOOT OFF] Here we go again!

The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin PiesThe California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
It's that time once again.

Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM)

If you don't know the drill, here's how it goes:

Normally Woot! has one item per day. When a Wootoff is happening, they keep throwing up new items every time an item sells out.

For certain reasons, Woot's main page tends to be a bit unreliable when these are going on. Because of this, people have made woot trackers, which automatically keep up to date and serve as mirrors. Normally I would recommend Wootalyzer, but it seems to be broken right now. I don't really know of any others, so feel free to suggest, and I'll link them here.

The Deliverator on

• Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The actual purpose of the refreshers is to keep traffic load off of the main page, though they do hold what the current item is/reasonably accurate quantity information as well. Rather than spamming F5, let the refresher check the site once every X number of seconds (it's lined up almost perfectly to be right on time with the site's refreshes, which are around every 20 to 30 seconds [the checkers know]).

Whenever the Oreck air filter comes up, I'm always tempted to buy one. Then I read the reviews all over the internet and quickly change my mind.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My BOC from the last woot-off arrived last on Monday. I wonder if this will be the woot off where they throw some cool stuff into the BOCs for Christmas cheer.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll be sitting this one out. Don't have the money to spend.
    I just know something I want is going to come up this time now

Jragghen on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have $135 dollars to my name. I need this money.

I hate woot so bad.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

I hate woot so bad.

Just go to bed and don't think about it.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I hate woot so bad.

I wont sleep if I do that.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I hate woot so bad.

I wont sleep if I do that.

Self control man. Just think about how you need that money and why you need to go to sleep and/or do something else.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    goddammit, they sold out of the item i wanted before i could finish registration. motherfuckers!

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »
    goddammit, they sold out of the item i wanted before i could finish registration. motherfuckers!

Which one?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i wanted the phillips 1 gb mp3 player voice recorder. i was thinking it might be useful for dictation or what not. or when i want to get people to confess to crimes or something (like veronica mars - she's my hero). hahaha.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    Well this is going slow.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This radar detector should be picking up my clear annoyance that it is a pile of garbage.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »
    i wanted the phillips 1 gb mp3 player voice recorder. i was thinking it might be useful for dictation or what not. or when i want to get people to confess to crimes or something (like veronica mars - she's my hero). hahaha.

Dang that sucks. I was tempted at that surround sound speakers for 60$ and that 0.99$ keyboard but it wasn't in the cards for me.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you have any interest in a Woot Off, you really need to register beforehand so you can check out ASAP.

Last Son on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    woot.com wrote:
    Short-Distance Relationship

Go on, I know you’re wondering. Go ahead and ask. You want to know what happened to my eye, right?

It was a stormy evening, chilly, a lot like tonight. I went down to my basement to get a side of venison out of my meat freezer when I noticed that one of my basement windows was cracked. I supposed I might as well measure the thing while I was down there, so’s I’d know how big a pane of glass I’d need to replace it. But darned if I couldn’t find my tape measure. I looked everywhere for it, and I was just about to give up when I saw something I’ll never forget.

There it was, on the shelf above the croquet set, glowing pearly white. It was the biggest, most beautiful tape measure I’d ever seen. I didn’t wonder where it came from – I was too drawn to it, too entranced by its magic. I had to go to it, to take it in my hand, to measure stuff with it. It had a hold on me.

I lifted it – so light, almost like it climbed into my hand on its own. I felt like we floated together over to the broken window, and it seemed to unfurl like a flag in the breeze. In no time at all, I found the dimensions of the broken pane – 13” by 27”, it was – and clicked the button to reel it back in.

I know how this sounds. But it lunged. That’s the only way I can describe it. The tape lunged at my eye, and cut the eyeball with the sharp tape edge. I think I mighta caught that little metal tab on the end, too. Of course, I screamed in pain and grabbed my eye. I heard the tape measure clatter to the floor. I blacked out. I woke up in the hospital, and they told me they’d had to remove the eye.

After I got back home, I crawled around the basement for two days. I looked in every corner, under every piece of furniture, behind every box. I never found that lovely, mysterious, deadly tape measure. I don’t know where it came from or why it attacked me. And frankly, I don’t want to. I’m just glad to be alive.

Now I play it safe with the Performance Tools W5746 Point-N-Measure Digital Tape Measure. It measures distances up to 50 feet electronically. It can freeze measurements in its memory, and it shuts off automatically after five minutes, so it doesn’t waste the 9-volt battery. And most importantly, it doesn’t contain any potentially blinding tape. I’ve still got one good eye, and I intend to keep it.
    This should be optioned for a horror movie.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What the hell?!

And then there’s “Pimp Mode”. In “Pimp Mode”, the whole thing goes crazy like ELO crashed into P-Funk. Every light flashes and blinks, and it automatically turns on at 7:00pm and goes until 1:00am. IT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF UNTIL ONE IN THE MORNING. Even after that, if you press the time display button between 1:00am and 7:00pm, it will light up, once a minute, for twelve minutes. That’s “Pimp Mode”. It’s brilliant.

^A watch function. Completely serious.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    What the hell?!

And then there’s “Pimp Mode”. In “Pimp Mode”, the whole thing goes crazy like ELO crashed into P-Funk. Every light flashes and blinks, and it automatically turns on at 7:00pm and goes until 1:00am. IT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF UNTIL ONE IN THE MORNING. Even after that, if you press the time display button between 1:00am and 7:00pm, it will light up, once a minute, for twelve minutes. That’s “Pimp Mode”. It’s brilliant.

^A watch function. Completely serious.

I purchased that watch.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So what ended up being in the BoC in the last woot off?

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It occasionally amazes me how many times people will buy sockets sets.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm always losing pieces, and that's a decent price. If they were metric I probably would have bought one.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    shit, a $99 refurbrished roomba with remote scheduler. I wish I had the money

Veevee on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My father just bought a Roomba for that price on a regular Woot day.

I was going to name it Chibi Roomba, butthen I found out that E, from XBox Live/the Major Nelson Podcast, already named HIS roomba that, so now I feel unoriginal.

Evander on
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shit. I've never wanted a Roomba before right now. I keep thinking "Christmas gift for my wife" but I might as well get her a bowling ball that says "Homer" on it.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I bought one too, just like 2 weeks ago, this same package.

It's flippin sweet.

Beren on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shit. I've never wanted a Roomba before right now. I keep thinking "Christmas gift for my wife" but I might as well get her a bowling ball that says "Homer" on it.

Buying your SO a vacuum cleaner for Christmas, even a vacuum cleaner that operates itself, is not advisable. Unless you hate sex and never want to have it again.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    there's like 20 models of Roomba on the official iRobot website. The most expensive one is like $400 but the cheapest is already just $110. I can't tell which model this Woot-off one is. I would assume the cheapest? in which case, it's not really a bargain.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    there's like 20 models of Roomba on the official iRobot website. The most expensive one is like $400 but the cheapest is already just $110. I can't tell which model this Woot-off one is. I would assume the cheapest? in which case, it's not really a bargain.

It's the scheduler which is worth the dough.

Beren on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Buying your SO a vacuum cleaner for Christmas, even a vacuum cleaner that operates itself, is not advisable. Unless you hate sex and never want to have it again.

These are very wise words. You're right. Hell, when we got married I registered for a $500 dyson vacuum cleaner. She asked me why, saying I'd never use it. She'd always be the one using it. I got mad and assured her that wasn't true. One year later, we have the $500 dyson vacuum and I've used it once. She ended up really liking it though.

Edit: Yeah, I just remembered what our two year old Husky did to Robosapien. No way in hell am I leaving him alone in the house with a Roomba that could wake up at any minute and start cleaning.

Siberian Huskies hate robots.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I really don't understand the desire for Roombas. Maybe it will change once I get my own house, and it takes more than like 2 minutes for me to vacuum my entire living space.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I really don't understand the desire for Roombas. Maybe it will change once I get my own house, and it takes more than like 2 minutes for me to vacuum my entire living space.

Yeah. If it went up stairs.. I would love mine even more than I already do.

Beren on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I bit the bullet and ordered one... I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 cats. at the very least it will clean up their litter kickings which I'm often too lazy to do on a regular basis.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Not to drag the thread OT but I bought one of those $500 Dysons a couple of years ago, too. That's probably the best $500 I ever spent. I have pets and it absolutely cuts through all of the hair/dirt they leave behind. Makes keeping my place somewhat clean so, so much easier.

A Roomba I can't really use - but a Scooba I would be all over.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Are you allowed to buy Christmas presents for "the house"?

I don't know the rules of these things, but I imagine thatmaybe you could get something else for your wife, and then claim that the roomba is a gift to the house itself, because it will keep it clean.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It is a robot that does your housework for you.

It is not about it being some super functional thing, it is about it being a robot.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Makes keeping my place somewhat clean so, so much easier.

TOTALLY ought to be their ad campaign.

Evander on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm always tempted to by the Roomba for my Stepmom... But $99 is a bit much. Is it loud? Bah I won't do it... The dog will probably flip out and attack it because he's retarded like that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Not to drag the thread OT but I bought one of those $500 Dysons a couple of years ago, too. That's probably the best $500 I ever spent. I have pets and it absolutely cuts through all of the hair/dirt they leave behind. Makes keeping my place somewhat clean so, so much easier.

A Roomba I can't really use - but a Scooba I would be all over.

You're not kidding. That Dyson does a hell of a job. Especially in the summer when Husky hair is all over the place.

As for the Roomba being a gift for the house, that might fly if we actually end up buying the house we're in, but for now we're renting so the house isn't getting shit. I bought my wife a Canon Digital Rebel (Not the XT because I'm an idiot and don't know how to use Ebay) so that's the wife's Christmas gift.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »

It is not about it being some super functional thing, it is about it being a robot.

I'm hoping my roomba will help me keep the floor a little more clear than I have been lately.

Maybe I'll name it. Captain Suckington sounds like a good name.

Veevee on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »

I'm hoping my roomba will help me keep the floor a little more clear than I have been lately.

Maybe I'll name it. Captain Suckington sounds like a good name.

Sir Sucksalot.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It is kind of loud. My cats hated it at first. Now they try and ride it.

Beren on