As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Christians

oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm an agnostic who was formerly a Catholic and also a Mormon (not at the same time Catholic first then Mormon second). I walked away from both religions due to personal conflict about Christianity. Namely the old testament vs new testament.

You may remember the Old Testament as being that wonderful book about stoning an killing and pillaging and raping unbelievers, also its chock full o crazy and contradictory shit. Yea thats the one. And the new testament is full of that one hippie with the beard who keeps dissing on the hard line right wing religious fanatics. Well my personal question involves that hippie..ya know, Jesus. He said several times that he was there to stamp out Mose's law (the shit in the old testament including the 10 commandments as I understand it) and replace it with a new one: love God, and love your fellow man. Well it seems to me that The Old Testament, that a lot of the evangelical right throw back to, is basically nullified by this Christ fellow. Sure theres some good stories back there but the point to those calling themselves CHRISTIONS is all made in the new testament. And as I understand it the old testament was only included to give Christianity a sense of its roots and was not there to be taken seriously except for its historical content. The real point resides in the new testament which could have read as follows: And Jesus spake-"DON'T be a dick."

So why the fuck is all this shit coming out of conservative Christianity, that they ripped out of the wrong part of the bible, so drilled into modern Cristianity? Shit involving anti-gays, anti-cussing, stereotypes and this no sex until your marrried and all that other stuff about how to live a 'pure' life. Some of this kind of stuff has eased up of late but most of it is still policy in more conservative Christianity. Now I'm not wagging any fingers but why aren't you guys following your own rhetoric? This just doesn't make any sense. It seemed to me that Jesus didn't care about weather or not you broke the sabbath or paid tithing or even if you fucked for money so long as you were a good person who was trying to become a better one. And Christians should be more concerned with what Jesus said than anyone else right? So why are Christians adhereing to a book that was written for Jews?

"A mans first duty is to his conscience and honor"- Mark Twain

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
oneeyedjack909 on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Paragraphs, please?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All of that "shit" is in the New Testament too.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jesus was a less aggressive dick than YHWH, but that's because YHWH never had to deal with pissed-off Romans. Still a dick though.

The whole New Deal thing Jesus did was basically just "you're all too big a bunch of losers to follow the rules right, so, hey, just at least make sure to kiss my ass or you're going to be all unhappy and on fire and smelling like farts for all eternity."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I sum up Jesus like this:

"My dad killed me so that if you believe in me he will let you into heaven. If you don't believe in me then he will send you to hell. Don't look at me, he's the one who made the rules."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"My dad killed me so that if you believe in me he will let you into heaven. If you don't believe in me then he will send you to hell. Don't look at me, he's the one who made the rules."
    Don't you see? Jesus is Kamina.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just forget the 'rules' and try to be a good person. Do good deeds and quit worrying so much.

Shogun on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What Batman said.

If you need something to work with, you could always try secular humanism. But for the most part, just don't be a dick, and it's good.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think specifically the 'Love God and love your fellow man' was proposed by Jesus in the NT as an eleventh commandment, not a retcon

But yeah, all this anti-gay, anti-sex stuff are fanatics who find meanings in the wording of a text that's been translated millions of times over thousands of years across multiple languages. They're using the Christian faith as a boat in which to advance their own agendas.

Welcome to the Real World

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The OP makes a valid point regarding modern Christianity in the United States. Its attitudes do not often conform to the way Jesus instructed his followers to behave.

Personally, I blame this on a combination of America's tradition of aggressive individualism and the post-Reformation notion that anyone with the ability to read is free to interpret the Bible for themselves.

So like a great many things it's all Martin Luther's fault.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Actually that was a very important part of the OT too. The "Love God with your whole heart, mind, strength" was particularly important and was written on lots of things.

I'll join Harrier and blame Luther because I enoy it.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    But yeah, all this anti-gay, anti-sex stuff are fanatics who find meanings in the wording of a text that's been translated millions of times over thousands of years across multiple languages. They're using the Christian faith as a boat in which to advance their own agendas.

Actually, the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin in a rather straight-forward fashion.

The Christian fundamentalists aren't espousing anything that isn't present in the text already.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Actually, the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin in a rather straight-forward fashion.

The Christian fundamentalists aren't espousing anything that isn't present in the text already.

No they're aren't, but they have no problem ignoring the parts about slavery and subjugation of woman, and sticking to the parts about God hating fags.

Of course, if you want people who actually stick to the entire old testament, you end up with Fred Phelps.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited December 2007
    Edit: Goddamnit. My friend logged on to my account.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah. Bible is a storybook couple of thousand of years old, and not a particularly good one. It's also full of shit, and all the 'interpretations' make it even more difficult to find sense in the whole thing.

As many others have said, it's better to just adhere to 'Don't be a dick'-rule, and things ought to work out.

On a side note, I agree with Goatmon in the sense that a lot of the 'true christians' or whatever the fundies want to call themselves, have an extremely selective way to read the book. They also have a sick fascination of trying to convert me all the time. NEVER mention to a fundie that you've left the church.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Of course, if you want people who actually stick to the entire old testament, you end up with Fred Phelps.

Incorrect. Even the Phelps' clan buys in that silly "ceremonial law" and "moral law" double-think that lets you pick and choose from the OT.

I know this because I asked his son how he could tell the difference between the two and he got very angry with me.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Edit: Goddamnit. My friend logged on to my account.

It was hilarious as long as it lasted.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You know who's an even more obnoxious Fundie than Fred Phelps? VenomFangX. A youtube douche who has all these videos appealing to other fundies. The fact that his vids explaining things like how Evolution is an evil lie from satan, and how islam is a work...of satan, and a vid depicting an interview with Allah where Allah is played by himself in a batman outfit...which is actually kind of a funny concept (If you're insane) if he had actually tried to be funny to anyone who isn't a fundamentalist, but those are the only people his vids have any appeal to.

I wouldn't really care about any of it, except he makes himself 100x more annoying by falsely presenting his videos as 5-star quality. I'm pretty sure he has multiple alt accounts that he uses to rate his own vids, because each one of them is rated 5 stars by 5 or 6 users, and then the ratings are disabled so they can't be downvoted. He also filters out any comments from his vids that aren't sucking his dick.

Goatmon on

• Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Being a good person isn't as simple as deciding to "not be a dick".

But that fact is depressing, so feel free to dismiss it.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, that's pretty obvious. I've accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior, but I still have some things I need to do and some shit I have to get in line before I can really consider myself saved. It's not easy or simple to get into Heaven, but that's not really the point of discussion here.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah, that's pretty obvious. I've accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior, but I still have some things I need to do and some shit I have to get in line before I can really consider myself saved. It's not easy or simple to get into Heaven, but that's not really the point of discussion here.

Yes, you demonstrate the point rather nicely. Being a good person is complicated, in one of many ways, because sometimes people decide that their personal goals, such as "getting into Heaven", are more important.

But like you said, that isn't the point of discussion.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I think by sidestepping the details you completely missed the point. Namely,
    Poster-Christianity-edit.jpg

Glyph on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Church wrote: »

Maybe not to you, but to me, someone who's not a dick to others is a good person. You don't have to give all your money to charities and spend all your waking hours helping the homeless to qualify as being "good".

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    reVerse wrote: »

Maybe not to you, but to me, someone who's not a dick to others is a good person. You don't have to give all your money to charities and spend all your waking hours helping the homeless to qualify as being "good".

I didn't mean that at all. The keyword in my post is deciding. There's always a choice that you didn't know you made, that you can look back on and realise was a dick thing to do. The kind of thing you never can see in the present.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not that I hate sweeping generalizations without knowledge or research, but the world does not need another 'lolreligion' thread.

Lets try to have a nice mature discourse here.

Is it possible that a political group has latched onto a set of beliefs in order to further their own goals rather than any religious or moral objectives?
    Should people judge a set of beliefs by only one group of people who hold them?

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty much a Born Again Christian, and as much as I would like to participate in threads like these and debate, I know I'm not mature enough to handle it without going off my rocker. However, if you ever want to know how a Christian would answer a question you have I suggest going to: http://www.carm.org

You might not agree with the answers it gives, but at least you'll know the details of why we're so hard to understand. :)

Falx on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Well we all agree communism is a nice idea in principle, but you have to judge the idea on how it is set in motion.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

Well we all agree communism is a nice idea in principle, but you have to judge the idea on how it is set in motion.

In the southern United States or the world?

Personally, the religion I follow being judged by nationalistic power seekers is sickening. If you wanna know what Christianity looks like, watch the senior handing out soup to drug addicts, not the bigwig flying around on private jets spewing hate.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

In the southern United States or the world?

Personally, the religion I follow being judged by nationalistic power seekers is sickening. If you wanna know what Christianity looks like, watch the senior handing out soup to drug addicts, not the bigwig flying around on private jets spewing hate.

You can't say someone isn't representative of Christianity just because you don't like how they represent it. The Phelpses of the world are an equally good represantation of Christianity as the folk who help the less fortunate, they just represent the different facets of it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Or you could see it is a false interpretation of your religion.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    L|ama wrote: »

Why is the person whose behaviour reflects negatively on the religion working on a false interpretation of it? Why isn't the charitable fellow working on a false interpretation of it?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

*ding ding ding*

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's not a false interpretation. Hating the gays, for example, is right there in the Bible. Because someone chooses to focus on that aspect of the religion is just as valid as someone who chooses to love his neighbour.

reVerse on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Why is the person whose behaviour reflects negatively on the religion working on a false interpretation of it? Why isn't the charitable fellow working on a false interpretation of it?

"You could see". I'm not saying either is correct, devils advocate and such.

Also hating the gays is arguable, the whole "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing. Too bad that's not an actual quote from the bible, or that could lead to some ...interesting circumstances.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's not a false interpretation. Hating the gays, for example, is right there in the Bible. Because someone chooses to focus on that aspect of the religion is just as valid as someone who chooses to love his neighbour.

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
    Matthew 7:2

"9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
    1 Corinthians 5: 9-11

'Hating the gays' is right alongside with hating the greedy, the slandererous and the drunk.

"For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."
    Romans 3:23

Demonizing a single group of people, withholding basic human rights, Christianizing a secular government, using political maneuvaring to enforce a belief of the some on the whole, is NOT Christianity and it is NOT supported by the Bible. Phelps condemns himself by condemning homosexuals.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Demonizing a single group of people, withholding basic human rights, Christianizing a secular government, using political maneuvaring to enforce a belief of the some on the whole, is NOT Christianity and it is NOT supported by the Bible. Phelps condemns himself by condemning homosexuals.

Actually, the Bible is vague enough that it can mean almost anything that you want it to mean about anything it mentions.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Actually, the Bible is vague enough that it can mean almost anything that you want it to mean about anything it mentions.

Were any of my examples that vague? Vague is the wrong word, difficult to interpret may be better. But then again, a Biblical interpreter has to understand the cultural and linguistic obstacles that stand in the way of the true meaning of the text. Dont confuse these difficulties with weakness of the text, its just that modern english people cant understand ancient greek and hebrew texts very easily. This situation is easily abused.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
    Matthew 7:2

So since the way a homophobe judges gay people is by determining whether or not they're gay, and the measure they use is "does the subject like hot gay buttsecks", the homophobe is in the clear to hate gays according to Matthew. Or was the bible not meant to be read logically?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Its just all about the buttsex for you people, isnt it

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Its just all about the buttsex for you people, isnt it

What else is there in life?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Were any of my examples that vague? Vague is the wrong word, difficult to interpret may be better. But then again, a Biblical interpreter has to understand the cultural and linguistic obstacles that stand in the way of the true meaning of the text. Dont confuse these difficulties with weakness of the text, its just that modern english people cant understand ancient greek and hebrew texts very easily. This situation is easily abused.

I think a more accurate term would be "ambiguous", maybe. And yes, all of your examples were ambiguous. Subject to interpretation. For example, the one about homosexuals "not inheriting the kingdom of god", that was it, wasn't it? That could be interpreted as "No need to harass them because they'll get theirs in Hell" or it could be interpreted as "Send those fags to Hell" (Not to imply that one is really any better than the other; it's faith-justified bigotry, either way). The key factor is what the reader wants to believe.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.