Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

MMORPG that's in the spirit of Rogue/Diablo?

eobeteobet Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
What I mean by the topic is that I want to go on a treasure hunt, I want unique items to spew out of every monster orifice, and rain down on me wherever I go.

I absolutely don't want the one-armor-per-level-and-class which most asian MMORPGs have (and fucking Guild Wars)!

I just stopped playing World of Warcraft, so what are my options?

Oh, and free/trial options are the most interesting. I'm not buying the pig in the sack.

eobet on
Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?

Posts

  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman THANOSCOPTOR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hellgate London sounds right up your alley with a freeplay option and tons of loot. But I'd wait a bit on that one.. it was taken out of the oven a bit early and still needs to cook a bit. Might be ready by Patch 1 (Or possibly Patch .7 from the sounds of how it's shaping up)

    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Ahh guild wars would have been so good if they had put a bit more of an emphasis on the loot. I too have been looking for an online game with a lootcentric formula, but haven't found anything besides hellgate. It will be interesting to see what recommendations people make, i am hoping there is a game out there that i may have missed.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    What I mean by the topic is that I want to go on a treasure hunt, I want unique items to spew out of every monster orifice, and rain down on me wherever I go.

    I absolutely don't want the one-armor-per-level-and-class which most asian MMORPGs have (and fucking Guild Wars)!

    I just stopped playing World of Warcraft, so what are my options?

    Oh, and free/trial options are the most interesting. I'm not buying the pig in the sack.

    You should try Mythos if you can find someone with a spare friend invite. There's a big thread on it somewhere in this forum.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • FembotFembot Registered User
    edited December 2007
    http://www.dungeonrunners.com/ - has a free play option. Loot everywhere, with a sense of humor.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If I had a choice between Hellgate: London and Dungeon Runners... I'd immediately buy a copy of Hellgate: London. Dungeon Runners felt like such an awful game to play and it wasn't even fun. Everything looks the same in the game too (armor/swords/etc) so I'd say Hellgate: London is your best choice honestly. But like Undead said, it'll be a little bit until all the bugs are ironed out. By mid-January/early-February it should be really ready to go.

    Plus you don't have to subscribe.

    Games completed recently: The Witcher, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored.
  • FembotFembot Registered User
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Everything looks the same in the game too (armor/swords/etc)

    Really? Admittedly I only played the Beta a while back, but I don't recall that. It looked like it had potential, for a free/almost free game. Ah well.

  • DroolDrool Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    GUTS wrote: »
    Ahh guild wars would have been so good if they had put a bit more of an emphasis on the loot. I too have been looking for an online game with a lootcentric formula, but haven't found anything besides hellgate. It will be interesting to see what recommendations people make, i am hoping there is a game out there that i may have missed.

    The entire point of Guild Wars is to take emphasis away from loot and levels and put it on player skill. Your supposed to have to use your brain to come up with a good skill combination instead of just mindlessly acquiring the best loot and the highest levels.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fembot wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Everything looks the same in the game too (armor/swords/etc)

    Really? Admittedly I only played the Beta a while back, but I don't recall that. It looked like it had potential, for a free/almost free game. Ah well.

    Some people might have liked it. But I put 2 - 3 hours into it, and I left with a headache and a lot of bitterness.

    Games completed recently: The Witcher, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    GUTS wrote: »
    Ahh guild wars would have been so good if they had put a bit more of an emphasis on the loot. I too have been looking for an online game with a lootcentric formula, but haven't found anything besides hellgate. It will be interesting to see what recommendations people make, i am hoping there is a game out there that i may have missed.

    The entire point of Guild Wars is to take emphasis away from loot and levels and put it on player skill. Your supposed to have to use your brain to come up with a good skill combination instead of just mindlessly acquiring the best loot and the highest levels.

    Or a cookie cutter build, which inevitably happens in a game like that.

    Games completed recently: The Witcher, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored.
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd stay as FAR away from Hellgate: London as possible. Even after it gets patched up. Horrid game. The FPS portion of it feels unresponsive and awful. Terrible graphics engine too.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    I'd stay as FAR away from Hellgate: London as possible. Even after it gets patched up. Horrid game. The FPS portion of it feels unresponsive and awful. Terrible graphics engine too.
    I played the demo and these are my thoughts exactly. The random level generator makes the most boring environments imaginable, too.

    Steam Profile: Lork
    Gamertag: Clorfhanger
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    I'd stay as FAR away from Hellgate: London as possible. Even after it gets patched up. Horrid game. The FPS portion of it feels unresponsive and awful. Terrible graphics engine too.

    I found the FPS part ok and an interestingly different way to experience a diablo-esque game, it's just that because of the way monsters work in the game and how they have zero AI apart from "run at you and try to eat you" the game boils down to "Run backwards and hold down fire" if you play those classes. Which makes it rather dull after a while.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    I'd stay as FAR away from Hellgate: London as possible. Even after it gets patched up. Horrid game. The FPS portion of it feels unresponsive and awful. Terrible graphics engine too.

    I found the FPS part ok and an interestingly different way to experience a diablo-esque game, it's just that because of the way monsters work in the game and how they have zero AI apart from "run at you and try to eat you" the game boils down to "Run backwards and hold down fire" if you play those classes. Which makes it rather dull after a while.

    It just doesn't feel like it has any "oomph" in the FPS portions. It's like running around on rails. I dunno. Bugged the hell outta me. It's too bad I can't sell it now after registering it. ; P

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • DroolDrool Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    GUTS wrote: »
    Ahh guild wars would have been so good if they had put a bit more of an emphasis on the loot. I too have been looking for an online game with a lootcentric formula, but haven't found anything besides hellgate. It will be interesting to see what recommendations people make, i am hoping there is a game out there that i may have missed.

    The entire point of Guild Wars is to take emphasis away from loot and levels and put it on player skill. Your supposed to have to use your brain to come up with a good skill combination instead of just mindlessly acquiring the best loot and the highest levels.

    Or a cookie cutter build, which inevitably happens in any online RPG ever.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    I'd stay as FAR away from Hellgate: London as possible. Even after it gets patched up. Horrid game. The FPS portion of it feels unresponsive and awful. Terrible graphics engine too.

    I found the FPS part ok and an interestingly different way to experience a diablo-esque game, it's just that because of the way monsters work in the game and how they have zero AI apart from "run at you and try to eat you" the game boils down to "Run backwards and hold down fire" if you play those classes. Which makes it rather dull after a while.

    It just doesn't feel like it has any "oomph" in the FPS portions. It's like running around on rails. I dunno. Bugged the hell outta me. It's too bad I can't sell it now after registering it. ; P

    Actually the one thing I love about the FPS in Hellgate: London is the fact that I can dodge projectiles. If shulgoth or whoever shoots a missile/fireball at me, I can sidestep it and not get hit. It's not the chance to miss either, it just flies right by me.

    Which is NEVER true for any online game. If someone has you in their line of sight, and shoots... It's it "misses" because of the accuracy check, or it hits. Even if you side step.

    Games completed recently: The Witcher, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    GUTS wrote: »
    Ahh guild wars would have been so good if they had put a bit more of an emphasis on the loot. I too have been looking for an online game with a lootcentric formula, but haven't found anything besides hellgate. It will be interesting to see what recommendations people make, i am hoping there is a game out there that i may have missed.

    The entire point of Guild Wars is to take emphasis away from loot and levels and put it on player skill. Your supposed to have to use your brain to come up with a good skill combination instead of just mindlessly acquiring the best loot and the highest levels.

    Or a cookie cutter build, which inevitably happens in any online RPG ever.

    True. :) But that doesn't mean you have to use your brain in GW anymore than.. WoW.

    Also: Stop using logic!

    Games completed recently: The Witcher, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored.
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    GUTS wrote: »
    Ahh guild wars would have been so good if they had put a bit more of an emphasis on the loot. I too have been looking for an online game with a lootcentric formula, but haven't found anything besides hellgate. It will be interesting to see what recommendations people make, i am hoping there is a game out there that i may have missed.

    The entire point of Guild Wars is to take emphasis away from loot and levels and put it on player skill. Your supposed to have to use your brain to come up with a good skill combination instead of just mindlessly acquiring the best loot and the highest levels.

    What a load of bollocks.

    The entire point of Guild Wars was to make it as newbie friendly as possible. Basically, whether its commendable or not, they attempted to create a game where time spend playing was irrelevant, particularly in pvp, putting everyone on a level playing field. Everyone in guild wars has almost identical builds, with almost identical weapons and armour, except for a few minor statistical differences. The variety and effectiveness of the skills is also very limited, meaning everyone ends up using the same skills and cookie cutter builds in order to be effective. Atleast in Games like Diablo the equipment provides some variety.

    Id rather spend a few months finding a rare weapon or armor that distinguishes my character from everyone else, rather than play a game where every warrior does the same dmg, every elemantalist uses the same skill, etc.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Well, the obvious choice is really World of Warcraft. You won't be able to get all the phat l00tz on your own unless you do a lot of PvP, but there really is no better loot-centric game on the market right now.

    mwf2sig.jpg
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Well, the obvious choice is really World of Warcraft. You won't be able to get all the phat l00tz on your own unless you do a lot of PvP, but there really is no better loot-centric game on the market right now.


    Yah, but ideally, what i am looking for is a game with truly randomized loot. Now that would be awesome.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DroolDrool Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guild Wars is a pretty deep game as far as strategies go. It's also not exactly "noob friendly," especially in high level guild and tournament play. Yes a lot of people use the same builds, but the people who look at the skills and come up with new ones change the meta game for everyone. Also it does take a lot more skill to know when and how best to use your skills then to spend hours and hours grinding for a sword that can kill anyone in 3 hits.

    I don't even play GW anymore, but dismissing it because it doesn't have the same loot scheme as Diablo is pretty retarded. In order to have any kind of balance in PvP you have to keep gear and levels of players relatively close to the same. If you're playing GW as a single player RPG to get gear then yes you will be dissapointed. Co-oping missions with friends for fun and PvP are the core of the game.

  • eobeteobet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could we stop discussing GW, please, since this thread is about games with showers of items, whereas GW is a desert...

    Also, Hellgate isn't really a true MMO, is it? Saw it at a friend's place and wasn't really impressed.

    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • DroolDrool Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hellgate wants to be an MMO, but doesn't offer what makes other MMOs popular.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    Could we stop discussing GW, please, since this thread is about games with showers of items, whereas GW is a desert...

    Also, Hellgate isn't really a true MMO, is it? Saw it at a friend's place and wasn't really impressed.

    Correct. It's not really an "MMO" in a sense. But everyone's on one or another server really. It's not like Diablo 2 where you can only get 8 people in the game and that's it. (It's 8 right? Been a while.)

    Each of the hubs are sorta like the "chat room" that Diablo 2 offered. And then each place you go to is instanced. Keeps lag and stuff down, which is helpful.

    But if you're looking for a full blown MMORPG that has phat/randomized loot... Uh... Mythos is probably the only thing you can play right now. For some reason there's not much of a choice with those kinds of restrictions.

    Games completed recently: The Witcher, Resident Evil 4: HD Edition, Typing of the Dead: Overkill, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored.
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User
    edited December 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    Could we stop discussing GW, please, since this thread is about games with showers of items, whereas GW is a desert...

    Also, Hellgate isn't really a true MMO, is it? Saw it at a friend's place and wasn't really impressed.

    I had an entire rant prepared in response to the Drools portrayal of GW as "Deep and Strategic", but you are right and this your thread, so i shall resist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eobeteobet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Signed up for Mythos... and in the meantime... I'm trying out... ahem... something called... Trickster?

    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
Sign In or Register to comment.