As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "What is your favorite TCG" Thread

DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Critical Failures
Ill, start. My favorite by far has been pokemon. An interesting story combined with unique decks, strategy, and a sense on community has made pokemon one of my favorite TCG's.

Dekabal on

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic

Do I need to list reasons, it's not like it's the best on the market or anything

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic.

It is consistently the best designed CCG in terms of game mechanics and introducing new things without making them completely overpowered or broken. Everything has a balance or counter to it. There are obvious problem cards here and there where people take advantage of something the developers don't expect, but it happens far less frequently now that they've started hiring pro-tour winners to develop for them.

Other CCGs tend to have sparse player bases and either badly imitate Magic's ruleset, or have a really sucky ruleset of their own.

Mostly I still play Magic because it is the CCG that most people play. No matter where you go, SOMEONE else plays Magic in your area.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do I even need to say?

I'll take it over any other game on the market, just 'cos it's got a *soul*.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vs. System. Easily.

There is no better designed game on the market. Also, Superman punching Spider-Man in the face amuses me far more than it should.

I'm also really enjoying UFS (Universal Fighting System). The whole style of the system is so much different from other CCGs, and it feels about as close as you can get to a 2D fighter without it actually being a 2D fighter.

Magic and World of Warcraft can both die in a fire, as far as I'm concerned. Shoddy, shoddy mechanics.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Vs. System. Easily.

There is no better designed game on the market. Also, Superman punching Spider-Man in the face amuses me far more than it should.

I'm also really enjoying UFS (Universal Fighting System). The whole style of the system is so much different from other CCGs, and it feels about as close as you can get to a 2D fighter without it actually being a 2D fighter.

Magic and World of Warcraft can both die in a fire, as far as I'm concerned. Shoddy, shoddy mechanics.

not sure about WoW, but that kind of statement needs some qualification

if it's just taste, fine, but if you're trying to objectively pitch magic has bad mechanics, i'mma have to call shenanigans and ask for some real reasons

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic's the only one I've really gotten into and it definitely seems to have some fine game mechanics and for the most part new rules and keywords are introduced in a way that's interesting but not gamebreaking. Something about counters doesn't seem quite right to me, though, but I'm not sure why. It just seems a shame to be using these cards with wonderful art and then piecing together whatever I have in my pocket to represent Goblin Counters or whatever. Time counters are fantastic though, I really love the way they work.

I really didn't like Mirrodin and all that lot, though. Somehow all those artifact creatures and equipment cards still don't feel right to me, but I'm by no means an expert in game balance.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I liked the WarCraft TCG a whole lot the few times I played it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What happened to the other girl?

This new one creeped me out.

I've only ever tried to understand two TCGs, and they were both ones that no one else ever played(Animayhem,and for sheer collectibility, the Sailor Moon TCG), so I've effectively given up on the genre.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A Game of Thrones TCG

1. A Game of Thrones

2. Enjoyable to play

3. Art of characters from A Game of Thrones

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic, fo' sho'.

I started years ago, back in elementary school, when I had a chubby for Craw Wurms and blue/green decks. I ended up quitting solely because I ran out of kids to play with, and was heading to high school.

Since then, I've tried both Yu Gi Oh and the WoW TCG. Yu Gi Oh was fun, but never got really into it. The WoW TCG, I dropped some change on. But I just felt constricted.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun, but there wasn't enough options for me. Maybe I couldn't see it, but I felt to limited by class choice. Allies were throwaways, and while I did real well with my Horde Fire Mage and Alliance Marksmanship Hunter, I just wasn't feeling it.

Now I'm recently back into Magic, and loving every second of it.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    WoW is going through some growing pains but I honestly think it's a better system than Magic.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Vs. System. Easily.

not sure about WoW, but that kind of statement needs some qualification

if it's just taste, fine, but if you're trying to objectively pitch magic has bad mechanics, i'mma have to call shenanigans and ask for some real reasons

I don't like Magic because, well, almost every CCG I've played has been far more enjoyable because those games take a lot more in-game thought or simply emulate things in card form in a way that's a lot of fun.

My biggest problem with magic is the mana system. No matter how well built the deck, there always exists the mana flood/mana drain problem. Two circumstances that can make a player lose the game, regardless of player skill. Now, every game has card draw problems but other games I've played (WoW, Vs., L5R, UFS, DBZ CCG) offer players outs through either tutors, different mulligan rules, or just plain drawing tons of cards. Note that, for Vs, tutors are essentially free to play and anything in your deck could be a resource which totally removes the mana flood/drain issue, but creates others. However, those other issues still allow a player to play the game, unlike the mana flood/drain system.

My other problem is drawing one card a turn. It's simply way too slow compared to games where you draw into a certain handsize (UFS) or draw more than one card a turn (Vs.). I say it's slow because one card a turn limits a player's options in terms of actually playing the game. Unless you're 100% sure of a win in Magic, you never want to hand dump (and even if you are, keeping one or two options open is always a smarter idea). This means, to me, players are intentionally playing slow because if you overspend your resources, in terms of cards in hand, it's nigh-impossible to get caught back up.

I'm not saying Magic is a bad game. There obviously had to have been something there when it came out to spawn the whole industry. However, I take issue with people claiming Magic has a superior ruleset/mechanics when usually this opinion is born out of ignorance/distaste for other CCGs. I still have a Magic deck, in fact, but not because I enjoy the game so much as I know no matter where I go I'll be able to find people that play Magic. Once I find that out, I'll more than gladly show them other CCGs which are, in my opinion, better games.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I quit magic in disgust after everyone around me started playing blue white permision decks. Man they were lame.

Yu gi oh is fun for the simplicity of the system.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic has some qualities to it's complexities. But it never held my attention. If I want to play a highly complex game, I'll play Warhammer Fantasy. For TCG though, without a doubt, I'm all about UFS. I started snapping up cards left and right and it's quickly become one of my favorite games to play. The mechanics of it allow me to enjoy the game at a pace that my ADD riddled brain can really enjoy. My friends and I play it like speed battle chess, fast.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I respect y'all's opinions most def

magic's complexities are myriad, read any limited format analysis, or writings by the top players (Zvi Mowshowitz and Michael J Flores jump to mind) and there's a ton of theory underpinning the game

though to find mana issues a big problem is strange, to me; it is easily alleviated, and card drawing is plentiful (if you like blue, though all colors have cantrips, and artifacts go great with everyone)

i dunno, it seems strange to me to list luck as a failing of the game when luck is an easy factor to manage with proper deck assembly

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nrthstar wrote: »
    Magic has some qualities to it's complexities. But it never held my attention. If I want to play a highly complex game, I'll play Warhammer Fantasy. For TCG though, without a doubt, I'm all about UFS. I started snapping up cards left and right and it's quickly become one of my favorite games to play. The mechanics of it allow me to enjoy the game at a pace that my ADD riddled brain can really enjoy. My friends and I play it like speed battle chess, fast.

Goddamn, I love UFS too. I'm still building a lot of stuff, but right now I've got a Nightmare Geese deck that's sort of decent, a good Ryu deck, a good Akuma deck, an awful Terry Bogard deck (because $17 Burning Knuckles are way out of my price range), and an annoying Taki deck. I'm trying to build up interest in it and one of my friends has started building an Ivy deck.

There is no better CCG when it comes to emulating a fighting game. The mechanics are so well thought out to further that purpose, it's really quite stunning.

@ Arcanis: Unless you play other stuff like Vs. or L5R, Magic's many and myriad faults do not easily present themselves. It'd be like judging Soul Calibur as the best fighting game without playing any other fighting game, or Super Mario World as the best platformer along the same criteria. I thought Magic was a hell of a game until I started playing other CCGs (mostly because I got frustrated with Magic's deckbuilding and a general disinterest in the game's setting. Also, Onslaught block was over.).

@Gaddez: Yu-Gi-Oh! is a fine CCG that gets a lot of disparagement thrown at it because of its simplicity. While I tired of YGO fairly early on (after the 4th set got released stateside), it's still the best gateway CCG there is.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I started out with an average Astaroth deck, and then a decent Maxi deck, but now the new darkstalker stuff is blowing me away. My J. Talbain deck rocked today's tournament at our local hobby shop today, and I haven't even collected up multiples of most of his moon counter cards. He's a great for a hybrid deck build with a lot more options than my Ast/Maxi decks. This game is just amazing in general

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I seriously doubt more than 3 people will know what I'm talking about, but Magi-Nation owned my soul for a little while, although no one played it and I think they gave up on it 3-4 years ago. While it was around though, I loved it.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A buddy of mine in highschool last year brought me along to meet his Magi-Nation crew, but they'd all abandoned the game by then in favor of the WoW TCG. I didn't ever come back, because even though I would've loved to play the WoW TCG with some other folks, I never have fun when my meager funds have to be pitted against people who buy multiple boxes of boosters at a sitting.

Relevantly, anyway, I played a couple games of Magi-Nation with my buddy, and decided I hated the game because the art was ridiculous and having to keep track of multiple changing variables for each card in play drove me crazy.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zellpher wrote: »
    I seriously doubt more than 3 people will know what I'm talking about, but Magi-Nation owned my soul for a little while, although no one played it and I think they gave up on it 3-4 years ago. While it was around though, I loved it.

Core 4 lyfe, yo.

When it was around and available, I kinda wish I bought more of it. I'm always keeping my eye out on eBay for a lot, and if I can ever find one cheap I'm definitely thinking about snapping it up so I can put together some decks and teach people how to play.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sim City TCG. Nuff Said.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

This is my favorite TCG as well. I think we played it every lunch time and Friday nights for two or so years (Played Arderial while my friends played Cald/Naroom, well until the expansions came out.) What caught me on it was probably the awesome flavor text/humor and no resource cards. One of the best parts was being able to send in your wrappers for Limited edition cards previously unavailable due to them being GMC or Tournament exclusives.

Unfortunately people learned to break the game making it barely enjoyable until new errata came out. Which made it even more confusing.

At PMAvers: If it's possible to find, I suggest getting the first edition starters of the first set (Base?) They come ready to play without the nuissance of random cards like unlimited does. Although, making your own deck is just as fun.

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    @ Arcanis: Unless you play other stuff like Vs. or L5R, Magic's many and myriad faults do not easily present themselves. It'd be like judging Soul Calibur as the best fighting game without playing any other fighting game, or Super Mario World as the best platformer along the same criteria. I thought Magic was a hell of a game until I started playing other CCGs (mostly because I got frustrated with Magic's deckbuilding and a general disinterest in the game's setting. Also, Onslaught block was over.).

that's rather presumptuous of you sir

you think magic is my only experience with TCGs?

like I said up there, I respect difference of taste, but let's not throw down claims as objective

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i played magic from alpha till about homelands religiously. after that it became to fucking expensive to try to keep up with the sets that flooded out. I tried to get back into it around the time kawigama was out, but I got sick of it again.

The WoW TCG was pretty fun, but I never found a good group to play it with. I always wanted to try the game of thrones ccg, but once again no one plays it around my parts.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I suck too much at TCGs to really bother anymore, yet I keep getting them. What the fuck. Here's hoping I do decently in WoW.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love me some Magi-Nation. Sucks to see that they're pissing away their good storyline into some yugioh ripoff bullshit.

There used to be a Magi-Nation patch for apprentice, I wonder if I can find it...

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My favorite is Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. The lack of a 4-card limit and the card-drawing mechanic are probably my top reasons for liking it.

Nion on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    first started playing Pokemon TCG and decided I liked the video games better.

Then moved to playing Yu-Gi-Oh and disliked the plethora of broken or "overpowered" cards. or how there were a whole lot of cards that Nobody in their right mind would use.

I then tried Magic and haven't looked back, almost every card has a use in some type of deck strategy.

and I actually like the mana system and one card draw a turn rules. they make the game interesting and are relatively easy to circumvent or work them to your advantage.
    So, to summarize, Magic rules. :P

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would love to play magic, but it just bugs me so much that you can get a better deck than someone by spending more money on boosters, or buying all the good cards off of ebay.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would love to play magic, but it just bugs me so much that you can get a better deck than someone by spending more money on boosters, or buying all the good cards off of ebay.

Well, I respect your opinion, but that is also the case with pretty much every TCG, the guy with more cards has a better selection to choose from. for that matter buying boosters won't automaticly guarantee you an awesome deck.

Magic is better then, say, Yu-Gi-Oh in this respect at least, when I played it you could have whatever you wanted and so long as it was better (or higher power creatures) then the cards your opponent had you would win.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Well, I respect your opinion, but that is also the case with pretty much every TCG, the guy with more cards has a better selection to choose from. for that matter buying boosters won't automaticly guarantee you an awesome deck.

Magic is better then, say, Yu-Gi-Oh in this respect at least, when I played it you could have whatever you wanted and so long as it was better (or higher power creatures) then the cards your opponent had you would win.

Oh, I'm not saying it's just Magic. It's just the reason I don't play TCGs, and why I stopped playing Heroclix.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fair enough

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, well this has been a surprise. I had a weave deck, since it was what they sold out here mostly. I got into it after I got the game, which is pretty fun and hilarious by the way. I saw a big box set for all of the starter decks and a crapola load of boosters for something around 80 bucks somewhere online. can't find it anymore though. Still have the game around here, I think I'm going to start it again.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, well this has been a surprise. I had a weave deck, since it was what they sold out here mostly. I got into it after I got the game, which is pretty fun and hilarious by the way. I saw a big box set for all of the starter decks and a crapola load of boosters for something around 80 bucks somewhere online. can't find it anymore though. Still have the game around here, I think I'm going to start it again.

I had a universal deck, it kicked ass. Rayjex3, Collosusx3, and a bunch of other stuff that did not matter, compared to THE COLLOSUS!.

It seems that they still run MND over at CCGWorkshop, if anyone is interested.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Beyond a doubt WoW TCG at the moment for these reasons:

The mechanics are modified M:tG, which means that they're solid. Ten+ years will do that to a game.

My issue with Magic comes in resource management (you can get Mana Screwed), and with the "janky" feel that the game has taken on. While I appreciate cool effects and I do respect the devs for innovation in their card sets, I do not "click" with the fact that every card in recent blocks does something weird. WoW has a sort of simplicity still that makes it more about basic value card v. card interactions than about triggering events which trigger events which trigger even more events.

Oh, and when you deal damage to an ally, he doesn't magically heal at the end of the turn. I never got that.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I used to play magic pretty heavy but more or less gave up because it was too easy. My normal group stopped posing a challenge and theres no way in hell Im getting involved in the pro-crowd. Theres only so much douchebag one person can take.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It depends on what I'm doing, for 1v1, Magic, still the best in my opinion for 1v1 battles between equal decks and skill, where you really need to understand how the game works and even learn to bluff and such.

For team play, WoW CCG is probably the best team based CCG ever made, it just works so freaking well. Raids are great fun too, even though you wouldn't think they would be, my friends and I had a blast with Onixya before I left for China.

I also loved Warlords, such a spectacularly different CCG, to bad it got destroyed with too many expansions, and too many broken cards. They released a Diamond Edition and tried to restart it kinda like Magic did with the different groupings, but it didn't happen soon enough and I doubt the game will be much more popular anytime soon.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    matsurimatsuri Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have to say Magic, definitely ME. TCG game is certainly a new taste for me and since it is becoming little popular in my communities, it is bringing my and my friend attentions.

matsuri on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My favorite is probably Shadowfist, which has tremendously fun multiplayer and a great setting, as well as simpler timing rules than MTG without sacrificing strategy. That said, the game died a horrible death, which is a shame.

Plus, cyborg monkeys! And eunuch sorcerers! And shape-shifted animals! And a Bag Full of Guns!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    My favorite is probably Shadowfist, which has tremendously fun multiplayer and a great setting, as well as simpler timing rules than MTG without sacrificing strategy. That said, the game died a horrible death, which is a shame.

Funny, they still seem to be coming out with new sets, so I wouldn't call it dead.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg