Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Sony Refuses To Warranty PS3-UPDATE-THE CALL!!!

1678911

Posts

  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Depending on how Algertman was acting, they may very well be in the right to hang up.



    Buzzz. Wrong. Perhaps in the karmic sense they might be entitled to, but in the customer service sense it is always, I repeat ALWAYS wrong to hang up on a customer.

    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk
  • ExoSlayerExoSlayer Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Depending on how Algertman was acting, they may very well be in the right to hang up.



    Buzzz. Wrong. Perhaps in the karmic sense they might be entitled to, but in the customer service sense it is always, I repeat ALWAYS wrong to hang up on a customer.


    I don't think thats true. I worked in escalations for a while and theres a point where a customer is becoming abusive and you have explained to them what you can do and what path they have to forward their issue and they simply won't accept. My department was basically where a member would get transfered who got abusive and refused to hang up, and we were given permission's to hang up if we felt it was the only option.

    Now I'm not saying this is what transpired, but there are times when a customer makes an outrageous demand and becomes a raging lunatic and I got a nice smile when I could hang up on them.

    Two air vents, on the roof, that's what the guy was talkin a-SHIT!
    -The D
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Honestly, someone needs to call out Nintendo and their SIRIS system for letting their partners (yes, that includes Sony) get away with this. It was billed as a way to eliminate this pesky "receipt" thing. If Sony is trying to weasel out of it, then why the hell did they sign up?

    I'm tired of hearing stories where Sony slams the door in the face of a PS3 owner over the receipt. Someone without journalistic influence should totally go bark up that tree.

  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's wrong to hang up on a customer for the simple reason that it gives them ammunition.

    XBL : lJesse Custerl | PSN : lJesseCusterl | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Honestly, someone needs to call out Nintendo and their SIRIS system for letting their partners (yes, that includes Sony) get away with this. It was billed as a way to eliminate this pesky "receipt" thing. If Sony is trying to weasel out of it, then why the hell did they sign up?

    I'm tired of hearing stories where Sony slams the door in the face of a PS3 owner over the receipt. Someone without journalistic influence should totally go bark up that tree.

    Anyone with journalistic influence knows there are many sides to every story.. and we aren't even hearing much of ONE side here.

    edit: Oops, read that as "with"

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    As a Quebecker have you ever tried to use the legal fucking warranty? You clearly have no idea about legislation in your own province. Go do some damn research then come back. We deal with it every day.

    No receipt, no service. It's that simple. I wouldn't expect Sony, Microsoft OR Nintendo to deal with you without record of your transaction - and they shouldn't. Quit being so damn lax with your shit.

    The legal fucking warranty is a piece of shit. I'm talking about the manufacturer's warranty, which never required me to provide any receipt. Ever. You can spout shit all you want and tell me to do my research, but I at least have anecdotal evidence to support my claim. You don't. You just pretend you've got some PhD in warranties or whatever.

    No receipt, no service..... in a retail outlet. I would expect ALL three companies to deal with me WITHOUT record of my transaction, as MS did, for one.

    The legal warranty is a piece of shit? You've clearly never used it. If it was so bad would it be in the process of being enacted in New Brunswick? Would there be talk of adding it to legislation in Ontario?

    I don't have a PhD in warranties - but I certainly do have you covered on this one. Given the nature of my job I'm in close contact with every major eletronics manufacturer in the country. It's what I do. I see warranty terms every day as part of my day-to-day. I may not have a PhD in warranties but I sure as shit have more experience with them than most people would ever want to.

    So just to be a fucking asshole, I contacted fulfillment departments for Panasonic, Hitachi, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Erickson Consumer (they do Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity), Samsung and LG. It was a quick email that I fired off to my bloody outlook contact list.

    Every single one said they need proof of purchase; the most common proof of purchase accepted is THE RECEIPT. Three manufacturer's said they would accept a credit card statement (Nintendo and Sony were among these, Microsoft was not) if the statement could be verified. Not one of them would accept the UPC. Serial numbers and date of purchase are not transferred from the retailer to any of these manufacters in Canada.

    So - as far as anecdotal evidence goes - that's lovely. Reality has come calling though and it backs up my point. Feel free to contact the fulfillment centres yourself, I look forward to hearing about your experience.


    Moral of the story: Don't be a douchebag - keep track of your paperwork. Scan your receipts - or take a digital picture. Burn it to DVD. Put it in your safe deposit box in the bank or in a fireproof safe - you never know when you're going to need it for warranty or insurance purposes.

    Being lax with your material goods only means that there's a chance they'll go away - there is no excuse for stupidity or laziness when it comes to your stuff.

    142.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know about the others but I've filed doens, if not hundreds of warranty calls with Apple, Dell and HP and all of them are fine with just the serial or Service Tag. And that's on both corporate warranty cover and personal.

  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    I don't know about the others but I've filed doens, if not hundreds of warranty calls with Apple, Dell and HP and all of them are fine with just the serial or Service Tag. And that's on both corporate warranty cover and personal.

    That's a bit different because with an actual computer there is MUCH more info that goes into their "warranties" which are more like "service plans." They have ALL your info in their system, so all they need is for you to verify that it is you calling.

    With something like a console, the only thing they have on file is that the system exists. You need the receipt to prove that the system is yours and to prove when you bought it. Regardless of whether or not there is some other way for the manufacturer to see this info, the fact is they don't have to.

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »
    I don't know about the others but I've filed doens, if not hundreds of warranty calls with Apple, Dell and HP and all of them are fine with just the serial or Service Tag. And that's on both corporate warranty cover and personal.

    That's a bit different because with an actual computer there is MUCH more info that goes into their "warranties" which are more like "service plans." They have ALL your info in their system, so all they need is for you to verify that it is you calling.

    With something like a console, the only thing they have on file is that the system exists. You need the receipt to prove that the system is yours and to prove when you bought it. Regardless of whether or not there is some other way for the manufacturer to see this info, the fact is they don't have to.

    Except that both Nintendo and Microsoft require only the serial number. For Nintendo, I put in my serial number, name, address and problem and they sent me a UPS label and a invoice telling me I owed nothing. For Microsoft, I called gave them the same information and they sent me a box and shipping label. It's fine if Sony wants to be different, but to say it's because it's a console thing is wrong.

    steam_sig.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Write a nice letter to the CEO. If this fails, write another letter cc-ing the registered agent for service of process and the general counsel of the offending corp. If this fails, either cut your losses or file a small claims action. Depending on the state and whether or not you are a vexatious son of a bitch a small claims action can be pretty easy to prosecute and you don't need a lawyer.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Depending on how Algertman was acting, they may very well be in the right to hang up.



    Buzzz. Wrong. Perhaps in the karmic sense they might be entitled to, but in the customer service sense it is always, I repeat ALWAYS wrong to hang up on a customer.

    No. A thousand times no. I've hung up on several customers in my decade+ in retail. If a customer is abusive, I absolutely will hang up on them. If they call back and become more abusive, I'll do it again. I don't care what someone's definition of customer service is, no one in this world is paid enough to listen to someone being a raving asshole over the phone (or face to face, for that matter).

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Proof of purchase is required for Warranty Service.

    Reciept=/=Proof of Purchase.

    Read the thread, we've been over that.

    Proof of purchase is generally a piece of the packaging, such as a UPC.

    One can EASILY have a reciept without having actually purchased a system. Or, one can still have a reciept from a system that they already returned.

    From someone who actually works in the field: You are wrong. It may have been gone over in the thread but it's not correct.

    Manufacturers need DATE of purchase to ensure warranty compliance. This is either a filled out warranty card that was sent in at the time of purchase (usually with a copy of the receipt) or the receipt itself. If he registered the PS3 when he purchased it (either via card or online) that may go a ways to helping, but if you think the UPC is all you need you're dead wrong.

    Date of purchase (which SHOULD be available because of the scanning of the serial number at register) is only relevant, as far as I am aware, if the product is past its manufacturing date by more than the length of the Warranty. I'd assume a system purchased in mid-to-late March was made less than a year ago, although I can't honestly be sure.



    Algertman, can you check the manufacturing date on your system, and let us know? It'll help to see where this stands as being a valid requirement.


    How do I check manufacture date?

    Not sure on a PS3, but on a 360 it's on the same sticker as the serial number.

    FOUND IT!

    on the underbelly there is a sticker. On a Gray/Blue bar is wrote FEBRUARY 2007

    So if the warranty is a year, why does he still need a receipt?

    Did I miss something?

    camo_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Hey You Pichu I don't like your girlfriendRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Depending on how Algertman was acting, they may very well be in the right to hang up.



    Buzzz. Wrong. Perhaps in the karmic sense they might be entitled to, but in the customer service sense it is always, I repeat ALWAYS wrong to hang up on a customer.

    Not really. If all the customer is doing is going in circles then the call is no longer productive and unless you can escalate the issue it's a "Thank you for calling" and a click.

    Edit:
    With the manufacturing date, they should be able to cover it, unless they get hung up on the fact that it's a gift.

    PoMXsb6.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ITT Threepio illustrates the difference between policy and real life.

  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Proof of purchase is required for Warranty Service.

    Reciept=/=Proof of Purchase.

    Read the thread, we've been over that.

    Proof of purchase is generally a piece of the packaging, such as a UPC.

    One can EASILY have a reciept without having actually purchased a system. Or, one can still have a reciept from a system that they already returned.

    From someone who actually works in the field: You are wrong. It may have been gone over in the thread but it's not correct.

    Manufacturers need DATE of purchase to ensure warranty compliance. This is either a filled out warranty card that was sent in at the time of purchase (usually with a copy of the receipt) or the receipt itself. If he registered the PS3 when he purchased it (either via card or online) that may go a ways to helping, but if you think the UPC is all you need you're dead wrong.

    Date of purchase (which SHOULD be available because of the scanning of the serial number at register) is only relevant, as far as I am aware, if the product is past its manufacturing date by more than the length of the Warranty. I'd assume a system purchased in mid-to-late March was made less than a year ago, although I can't honestly be sure.



    Algertman, can you check the manufacturing date on your system, and let us know? It'll help to see where this stands as being a valid requirement.


    How do I check manufacture date?

    Not sure on a PS3, but on a 360 it's on the same sticker as the serial number.

    FOUND IT!

    on the underbelly there is a sticker. On a Gray/Blue bar is wrote FEBRUARY 2007

    So if the warranty is a year, why does he still need a receipt?

    Did I miss something?

    No.

    Sony really has no grounds here, unless they want to truely claim that systems recieved as a gift are NOT covered by warranty.

    georgersig.jpg
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ITT Threepio illustrates the difference between policy and real life.

    How? SCEA's policy is to not validate the warranty without a receipt. The OP has no receipt. They aren't validating the warranty.

    In this case, policy = real life

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    arcath wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Proof of purchase is required for Warranty Service.

    Reciept=/=Proof of Purchase.

    Read the thread, we've been over that.

    Proof of purchase is generally a piece of the packaging, such as a UPC.

    One can EASILY have a reciept without having actually purchased a system. Or, one can still have a reciept from a system that they already returned.

    From someone who actually works in the field: You are wrong. It may have been gone over in the thread but it's not correct.

    Manufacturers need DATE of purchase to ensure warranty compliance. This is either a filled out warranty card that was sent in at the time of purchase (usually with a copy of the receipt) or the receipt itself. If he registered the PS3 when he purchased it (either via card or online) that may go a ways to helping, but if you think the UPC is all you need you're dead wrong.

    Date of purchase (which SHOULD be available because of the scanning of the serial number at register) is only relevant, as far as I am aware, if the product is past its manufacturing date by more than the length of the Warranty. I'd assume a system purchased in mid-to-late March was made less than a year ago, although I can't honestly be sure.



    Algertman, can you check the manufacturing date on your system, and let us know? It'll help to see where this stands as being a valid requirement.


    How do I check manufacture date?

    Not sure on a PS3, but on a 360 it's on the same sticker as the serial number.

    FOUND IT!

    on the underbelly there is a sticker. On a Gray/Blue bar is wrote FEBRUARY 2007

    So if the warranty is a year, why does he still need a receipt?

    Did I miss something?

    No.

    Sony really has no grounds here, unless they want to truely claim that systems recieved as a gift are NOT covered by warranty.

    Sony's grounds are strong. The warranty states a receipt is required. Plain and simple. Date of manufacture has nothing to do with it.

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    ITT Threepio illustrates the difference between policy and real life.

    How? SCEA's policy is to not validate the warranty without a receipt. The OP has no receipt. They aren't validating the warranty.

    In this case, policy = real life
    Except, as has been mentioned many times, Sony's warranty tactic may not be valid or even legal.

  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    I had this happen with my brother's PSP. They said they needed a receipt in order to process the warranty. My brother had thrown out the receipt. I called the store he bought it from, and they said they didn't carry receipts from that long ago. He paid cash, on top of it all. He ended up having to pay $90 to get it fixed.

    I honestly felt like I was being ripped off (I went through customer service for him) when the guy on the other line told me it would cost that much to fix it. I hope this works out for you.
    I think it really just depends on your luck sometimes. When my psp needed to be replaced I called up and got a really helpful guy who sent me one right away. Didn't even ask for a receipt, just took my info and told me to send it in.

    I do think people should keep their receipts, but expecting someone to have a receipt for a gift is a dick move. I generally don't give receipts with gifts because it lets the other person know how much you've spent on them. Some people find giving receipts with the gift rude as it's the equivelant of leaving the price sticker on the item to let them know how much you've spent.

    I keep receipts for everything though, even gifts I give. Never know when someone might need it.


    Gift Receipt
    Is there such a thing in the UK? I've never gave or been given one of these before.

    "please get on point coward baby magets."

    PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there such a thing in the UK? I've never gave or been given one of these before.

    Yep.

    I only heard of them recently though, it's not like it's common practice with gifts.

  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User
    edited December 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Is there such a thing in the UK? I've never gave or been given one of these before.

    Yep.

    I only heard of them recently though, it's not like it's common practice with gifts.
    I've never heard of it before, I guess it doesn't come up as much since our consumer protection laws are so good.

    "please get on point coward baby magets."

    PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    ITT Threepio illustrates the difference between policy and real life.

    How? SCEA's policy is to not validate the warranty without a receipt. The OP has no receipt. They aren't validating the warranty.

    In this case, policy = real life
    Except, as has been mentioned many times, Sony's warranty tactic may not be valid or even legal.

    We already looked up the FTC documentation on warranties. It is a "limited" warranty, so it is legal.

    In any event, I'm not really for Sony's behavior here, but everyone is all up in arms about how they are doing something so awful.... when..... they are doing exactly what their warranty info said they would do. Are we just realizing now that this company is shit? I've known this for years.

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would like to summarize this thread to minimize more arguing: as legally written, the big three warranties are damn similar. However, Sony is being harder-assed about enforcing theirs, to mixed degrees of resentment and support.

    And we all lived happily ever after! <3

  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    I would like to summarize this thread to minimize more arguing: as legally written, the big three warranties are damn similar. However, Sony is being harder-assed about enforcing theirs, to mixed degrees of resentment and support.

    And we all lived happily ever after! <3
    Seriously, this thread went on for longer than it deserved to.

    Sony's well within their right to turn people away, however, that isn't going to please customers. It's in Sony's best interest to keep it's customers happy, a customer with a broken PS3 won't be buying any games.

    "please get on point coward baby magets."

    PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    I would like to summarize this thread to minimize more arguing: as legally written, the big three warranties are damn similar. However, Sony is being harder-assed about enforcing theirs, to mixed degrees of resentment and support.

    And we all lived happily ever after! <3
    Seriously, this thread went on for longer than it deserved to.

    Sony's well within their right to turn people away, however, that isn't going to please customers. It's in Sony's best interest to keep it's customers happy, a customer with a broken PS3 won't be buying any games.

    And it's in the consumers best interest to harass them till they start behaving like a responsible company that's not trying to anally rape it's customers.

  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    I would like to summarize this thread to minimize more arguing: as legally written, the big three warranties are damn similar. However, Sony is being harder-assed about enforcing theirs, to mixed degrees of resentment and support.

    And we all lived happily ever after! <3
    Seriously, this thread went on for longer than it deserved to.

    Sony's well within their right to turn people away, however, that isn't going to please customers. It's in Sony's best interest to keep it's customers happy, a customer with a broken PS3 won't be buying any games.
    What do you mean 'went'? I don't believe this thing is over yet.

    I have a blog. Read it. Blog-reading makes you pretty and popular.
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User
    edited December 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    I would like to summarize this thread to minimize more arguing: as legally written, the big three warranties are damn similar. However, Sony is being harder-assed about enforcing theirs, to mixed degrees of resentment and support.

    And we all lived happily ever after! <3
    Seriously, this thread went on for longer than it deserved to.

    Sony's well within their right to turn people away, however, that isn't going to please customers. It's in Sony's best interest to keep it's customers happy, a customer with a broken PS3 won't be buying any games.
    What do you mean 'went'? I don't believe this thing is over yet.
    Maybe I should have said 'has went on for longer than it deserved to'. One word can change a whole sentence, my bad.

    Hoping everything turns out ok for the OP, I'm not optimistic though.

    "please get on point coward baby magets."

    PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    SCEA's policy is to not validate the warranty without a receipt. The OP has no receipt. They aren't validating the warranty.

    In this case, policy = real life

    I have worked retail as well, and I can tell you that POLICY is not set in stone, as though handed down from on high atop Mount Sinai to Charlton Heston who then smashes it in anger on the ground before him when he sees the messed up shit going on around him.

    Policy = guidelines, nothing more. Extraneous conditions call for management to step in and (please, feel free to pull out pen and paper, because the next part is important) MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO POLICY.

    "*Gasp!* They can do that?!"

    Why yes, yes they can.

    In this case, management should have realized that the PS3 was a gift and, rather than giving excuses and loopholes, should have taken care of the customer and gotten his PS3 serviced. Instead, management hid behind policy and pissed off not only the OP, but also every other "lolsony" poster on this forum, who will then go out and tell friends and family that the Sony PS3 is a POS not worth wasting money on. Regardless of what the Limited Warranty says, that is just bad business.

    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    In any event, I'm not really for Sony's behavior here, but everyone is all up in arms about how they are doing something so awful.... when..... they are doing exactly what their warranty info said they would do.

    I think it was established on the first page of the thread that Sony not honoring the warranty without a receipt was exactly what they said they'd do but they sucked for said reason. Then it went off on a weird tangent where saying something Sony does sucks means you are somehow biased against Sony. Then it went off an a weird tangent about how PA forum mods were biased against Sony. Then it kinda got back on track regarding (notwithstanding all tangents) how the OP was going to get his problem resolved. Then it got into the fun and games of Customer Service reps and whatnot. I could be wrong though since I kinda drifted in and out.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    delroland wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    SCEA's policy is to not validate the warranty without a receipt. The OP has no receipt. They aren't validating the warranty.

    In this case, policy = real life

    I have worked retail as well, and I can tell you that POLICY is not set in stone, as though handed down from on high atop Mount Sinai to Charlton Heston who then smashes it in anger on the ground before him when he sees the messed up shit going on around him.

    Policy = guidelines, nothing more. Extraneous conditions call for management to step in and (please, feel free to pull out pen and paper, because the next part is important) MAKE EXCEPTIONS TO POLICY.

    "*Gasp!* They can do that?!"

    Why yes, yes they can.

    In this case, management should have realized that the PS3 was a gift and, rather than giving excuses and loopholes, should have taken care of the customer and gotten his PS3 serviced. Instead, management hid behind policy and pissed off not only the OP, but also every other "lolsony" poster on this forum, who will then go out and tell friends and family that the Sony PS3 is a POS not worth wasting money on. Regardless of what the Limited Warranty says, that is just bad business.

    Yup.

    Policy is written strict because it is meant to be the fallback, when necessary.

    georgersig.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Figgy wrote: »
    In any event, I'm not really for Sony's behavior here, but everyone is all up in arms about how they are doing something so awful.... when..... they are doing exactly what their warranty info said they would do.

    I think it was established on the first page of the thread that Sony not honoring the warranty without a receipt was exactly what they said they'd do but they sucked for said reason. Then it went off on a weird tangent where saying something Sony does sucks means you are somehow biased against Sony. Then it went off an a weird tangent about how PA forum mods were biased against Sony. Then it kinda got back on track regarding (notwithstanding all tangents) how the OP was going to get his problem resolved. Then it got into the fun and games of Customer Service reps and whatnot. I could be wrong though since I kinda drifted in and out.

    I'd like to get a refund on this thread, sir. Here's my receipt:

    receipt_scan-1.jpg

    steam_sig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that most receipts today are printed with thermal ink. After a month and a half, they're all blank slips of paper anyways.

    It's true. It makes me want to laminate my receipts or buy online so I can reprint them myself.

    jk0Btsj.png
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    I would like to summarize this thread to minimize more arguing: as legally written, the big three warranties are damn similar. However, Sony is being harder-assed about enforcing theirs, to mixed degrees of resentment and support.

    And we all lived happily ever after! <3
    Seriously, this thread went on for longer than it deserved to.

    Sony's well within their right to turn people away, however, that isn't going to please customers. It's in Sony's best interest to keep it's customers happy, a customer with a broken PS3 won't be buying any games.
    What do you mean 'went'? I don't believe this thing is over yet.

    This thread should die, mostly because it's just a bunch of us posters discussing the situation, where the OP really doesn't post at all.

    He's either not that concerned about getting his $600 console repaired or .... kidnapped by Sony.

    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Threepio, let me destroy all your nonsense with one truth: I received services for warranties without the receipt. Therefore, policy does not dictate real life. Better luck next time you want to call people names for not keeping a receipt for a fucking gift since anyway most companies DON'T ACTUALLY ask for the receipt regardless of what they told you.

  • MonaroMonaro Registered User
    edited December 2007
    To be fair Microsoft is probably more lenient because it's harder to accurately enforce a DOP when they're coming back by the truck load :D
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    To be fair Microsoft is probably more lenient because it's harder to accurately enforce a DOP when they're coming back by the truck load :D
    Spoiler:

    True. When my dvd drive failed 4 months after I bought it they were total dicks to me (because I was out of warranty--they didn't need no stinking receipt to know it either). 2 months later (presumably after they realized they had a big time PR disaster and were a huge target for class action lawyers) they upped the warranty to a year and were incredibly nice to me.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.


    Nintendo replaced my SP twice out of warranty and paid for the shipping and handling. No fees or charges. I don't remember sending in a receipt. Sony is an asshat company and they need to be genocided against.

  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    RYGAR wrote: »
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.
    Nintendo replaced my SP twice out of warranty and paid for the shipping and handling. No fees or charges. I don't remember sending in a receipt. Nintendo is great about their hardware support, and it's a shame other companies don't follow suit.
    Fixed. Sony isn't the exception, here, Nintendo is. ;-)

  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    RYGAR wrote: »
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.
    Nintendo replaced my SP twice out of warranty and paid for the shipping and handling. No fees or charges. I don't remember sending in a receipt. Nintendo is great about their hardware support, and it's a shame other companies don't follow suit.
    Fixed. Sony isn't the exception, here, Nintendo is. ;-)

    Microsoft didn't ask for a receipt when they replaced my 360... twice. Granted, it was in-warranty, not out of it, but they didn't ask.

    Epson didn't ask for a receipt when they sent me a brand new scanner because mine was broken. They only asked for the scanner itself (not even the accessories or the original box) and they sent me a brand new sealed box. So I had two USB cables, two driver CDs, two power supplies, etc.

    There are many nice companies, and many assholish. People just need to accept that Sony are assholes and move on.

  • WienkeWienke Registered User
    edited December 2007
    If all else fails, it must be cheaper to pay the service charge instead of buying a new PS3 right?

    What are we talking for that? 150? 200?

    I remember back in the 80s, Nintendo charged us 30 bucks to completely fix my NES. Apparently you could run over it with a truck and they'd still charge 30 bucks to fix it.

    PSN: TheWienke
Sign In or Register to comment.