Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Sony Refuses To Warranty PS3-UPDATE-THE CALL!!!

167891012»

Posts

  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wienke wrote: »
    If all else fails, it must be cheaper to pay the service charge instead of buying a new PS3 right?

    What are we talking for that? 150? 200?

    I remember back in the 80s, Nintendo charged us 30 bucks to completely fix my NES. Apparently you could run over it with a truck and they'd still charge 30 bucks to fix it.

    Staples has a new warranty like that. You can buy the normal extended warranty for your laptop, but you can also add a second "special" extended warranty over the first, and now you're not only covered for hardware failures, but also for accidents. You're nearing the end of your warranty and your laptop is now obsolete and useless to you? Bash it with a hammer, get a certain credit value out of it and buy a new laptop. Of course, you need to substract the price of the warranty out of that credit to know exactly how much you saved on your new laptop, if you even did.

  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wienke wrote: »
    If all else fails, it must be cheaper to pay the service charge instead of buying a new PS3 right?

    What are we talking for that? 150? 200?

    I remember back in the 80s, Nintendo charged us 30 bucks to completely fix my NES. Apparently you could run over it with a truck and they'd still charge 30 bucks to fix it.

    Which was probably what it cost to make a new one and ship it.

    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius
  • BeckBeck Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Alright, so I've dealt with something similar before. My DS's touch screen was acting up and I really didn't wait to get another one from Nintendo. So I went to Walmart, I told them my DS was defective, that it was a gift, I was pretty sure was purchased in another Walmart in Ontario, and I did not have a receipt. They told me it was fine, they were happy to help, then informed me that I could either have store credit or another DS. So I went to electronics, got my second DS, went back to the returns desk, and everything was fine.

    Maybe this will work for you? I would say it's worth a shot.

    But, uh, it's really disappointing seeing Sony treat people like this, especially customers. It really kind of makes you want their company to collapse under the weight of it's own incompetence.

    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I'm gonna have to call them back because they have yet to respond to my e-mail

    PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    RYGAR wrote: »
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.
    Nintendo replaced my SP twice out of warranty and paid for the shipping and handling. No fees or charges. I don't remember sending in a receipt. Nintendo is great about their hardware support, and it's a shame other companies don't follow suit.
    Fixed. Sony isn't the exception, here, Nintendo is. ;-)

    No, Sony really IS the exception here.

    Retail warranties maybe hard to get, but manufacturer warranties are generally not this dificult. The manufacturer generally DOES NOT assume theft until proven otherwise.

    georgersig.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Beck wrote: »
    Alright, so I've dealt with something similar before. My DS's touch screen was acting up and I really didn't wait to get another one from Nintendo. So I went to Walmart, I told them my DS was defective, that it was a gift, I was pretty sure was purchased in another Walmart in Ontario, and I did not have a receipt. They told me it was fine, they were happy to help, then informed me that I could either have store credit or another DS. So I went to electronics, got my second DS, went back to the returns desk, and everything was fine.

    Maybe this will work for you? I would say it's worth a shot.

    But, uh, it's really disappointing seeing Sony treat people like this, especially customers. It really kind of makes you want their company to collapse under the weight of it's own incompetence.

    You might want to check out the Sales Thread then. I have a feeling you might like what you see there.

    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that most receipts today are printed with thermal ink. After a month and a half, they're all blank slips of paper anyways.

    It's true. It makes me want to laminate my receipts or buy online so I can reprint them myself.

    As an aside, a lamination machine uses heat to melt the plastic together.

    It is a REALLY BAD IDEA to laminate a thermal paper.

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    RYGAR wrote: »
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.
    Nintendo replaced my SP twice out of warranty and paid for the shipping and handling. No fees or charges. I don't remember sending in a receipt. Nintendo is great about their hardware support, and it's a shame other companies don't follow suit.
    Fixed. Sony isn't the exception, here, Nintendo is. ;-)
    No, Sony really IS the exception here.

    Retail warranties maybe hard to get, but manufacturer warranties are generally not this dificult. The manufacturer generally DOES NOT assume theft until proven otherwise.
    Look at the post I was replying to. Are you saying other companies aside from Nintendo will replace stuff for free that's out of warranty altogether?

  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that most receipts today are printed with thermal ink. After a month and a half, they're all blank slips of paper anyways.

    It's true. It makes me want to laminate my receipts or buy online so I can reprint them myself.

    Laminating thermal receipts = BLACK PAPER! If you apply heat (used to fuse the laminate sheets) to thermal paper it will turn black. DO NOT DO THIS!

    However, if you have a longer than 1 year warranty and wish to save those receipts, photocopy them (or stick them in your MFC and copy them) using ink on normal paper, then staple the receipt to it so you have both in the same place. If they do not accept photocopies, you also have the original (which may or may not be faded) to prove it's not fake, but also to show that the original has since faded.

    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live: ArcSyn 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan) WiiU NNID: ArcSyn

    GIFT GET GIFS
  • jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    this is true, but there is also a form of "cold" lamination or Non-Hot as the case may be.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »
    RYGAR wrote: »
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.
    Nintendo replaced my SP twice out of warranty and paid for the shipping and handling. No fees or charges. I don't remember sending in a receipt. Nintendo is great about their hardware support, and it's a shame other companies don't follow suit.
    Fixed. Sony isn't the exception, here, Nintendo is. ;-)
    No, Sony really IS the exception here.

    Retail warranties maybe hard to get, but manufacturer warranties are generally not this dificult. The manufacturer generally DOES NOT assume theft until proven otherwise.
    Look at the post I was replying to. Are you saying other companies aside from Nintendo will replace stuff for free that's out of warranty altogether?

    Sorry, I was actually looking at the top of the tree, and reacting based on that.

    My apologies entirely, but if I might make a suggestion, pruning the crazy out of your quote trees would cut down on confusion in the future.

    georgersig.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Update in opening post

    PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The moral of the story is:

    Fish are food, not friends.

    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    The moral of the story is:

    Fish are food, not friends.

    Bitching will get you everywhere.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Titmouse wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    The moral of the story is:

    Fish are food, not friends.

    Fish are food, not friends.

    Then we agree...

    steam_sig.png
  • Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2007
    Well, I was banned because of this thread, but Congrats on fixing your PS3

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Peopl need to get off thier Sony bias really.

    Nothing Sony is doing is wrong, they want proof that you bought/recieved it as a gift and not stole it. Its quite reasonable. Ask the gift giver to provide you with a receipt and your all nice and dandy.

    WTF are you talking about? That's what the serial number is for if reported stolen. Guess what? Using the serial number, Sony can look up the purchase date and location to confirm warranty eligibility thanks to Nintendo's SIRIS system that they signed up for. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc all signed up to this to enforce their warranty periods and return policies and ELIMINATE the receipt loophole of just buying a new one to exchange or warrant the old one. The SIRIS system is supposed to confirm that it is within warranty period all by itself and take the receipt out of the picture, and yet Sony is refusing to warrant it based on the receipt. THIS IS INTOLERABLE. SIRIS also promotes the consumer features, many unimplemented, such as being able to return to any store or obtain a receipt reprint from any store. It isn't a tool for cheating the consumer!

    A receipt proves nothing. Just like the console or the box, the receipt could be stolen too. SIRIS is proof of purchase just the same. Bias?! You need to get off the Sony horn-tooting train and wise up to the realities of your favorite corporate theives.
    Well, I was banned because of this thread, but Congrats on fixing your PS3

    If you were banned, how are you back?

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Well, I was banned because of this thread, but Congrats on fixing your PS3

    If you were banned, how are you back?

    It was of the temporary variety. Frankly, I don't find it very kosher that he came in here to blame this thread.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    CZroe wrote: »
    Well, I was banned because of this thread, but Congrats on fixing your PS3

    If you were banned, how are you back?

    It was of the temporary variety. Frankly, I don't find it very kosher that he came in here to blame this thread.

    True. It really was his own doing that got him banned.

  • abducensabducens __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2007
    Hey welcome back Katchem!

  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    CZroe wrote: »
    Well, I was banned because of this thread, but Congrats on fixing your PS3

    If you were banned, how are you back?

    It was of the temporary variety. Frankly, I don't find it very kosher that he came in here to blame this thread.

    True. It really was his own doing that got him banned.

    And we're surprise by his maturity at blaming something else for his banning, why?

    scornsig.jpg
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    CZroe wrote: »
    Well, I was banned because of this thread, but Congrats on fixing your PS3

    If you were banned, how are you back?

    It was of the temporary variety. Frankly, I don't find it very kosher that he came in here to blame this thread.

    True. It really was his own doing that got him banned.

    And we're surprise by his maturity at blaming something else for his banning, why?
    Come on guys, lets not pick on Ash. We know why he was banned, lets just leave it at that.

    "please get on point coward baby magets."

    PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hate it when I miss all the good drama.

    camo_sig2.png
167891012»
Sign In or Register to comment.