As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best or Worst Christmas as a Child Gamer?

TzenTzen Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I was pretty spoiled growing up, but I was not a brat (honestly! ...). I would just smile and fake excitment after opening "The Big One" Christmas after Christmas only to find something I never once expressed even the slightest bit of interest for... ever. An electric guitar? Great!... (not!) However, that would all change one Christmas.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I got a call from my friend. "My mom just got me a Sega Satu..." I dropped the phone and bolted out the door before he could even finish his sentence. Sucking lungfulls of cold night air deep into my chest, I sprinted non-stop to his place. My brother and our other Saturn-less friends feebly followed my trail of smoke through the darkness. I was going to be the first one to thrown down with him in Virtua Fighter.

Needless to say, I spent a lot of time over at his house in the following weeks. We spent hours playing Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and the afformentioned Virtua Fighter. The only other thing I spent a significant amount of time doing was telling my mother how much I wanted a Saturn of my own for Christmas. NOTHING... ELSE... I promise. I just want a Sega Saturn. Pleeeeeeeeease. Please. Please. Please. "Okay, honey," she would say in a not-really-paying-attention sort of way.

Finally, after a long, sleepless night of giddy wiggling and strange squeaking noises, the sun crawled up the horizon. It was mine. I could practically feel the gamepad in my hands. I flew into the living room, grabbed THE box (the shape, size, and weight were just right), and began to shred through the paper like a military invasion of France.
THERE IT WAS! IT WAS FINALLY MINE! ALL MINE! A... Sony... Playstation?

do_not_want_star_wars.jpg

Tzen on

• Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Boy, looking back on that in hindsight.... werent you lucky your mom didnt listen?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pretty much something similar happened to me. I asked for a Saturn with Dragonforce and NiGHTS. I ended up with a Playstation and Bubsy 3D.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i asked for playstation 2 with metal gear solid 2, and my parents got me grand theft auto 3 because MGS2 looked "too violent"

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Best Christmas? Hm... probably a tie between 1997/8(?) when I got a PS1, or 2002(?) when I got a PS2... I had never paid much attention to Sega or Nintento so I was damn happy I got those two consoles.

I can't really think of a worst Christmas. Whenever I asked for electronics my mom always paid a lot of attention and got me to write it down so she wouldn't get the wrong thing.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I asked for an N64 for christmas, my parents got me a Pc instead.

turned out great as it started me on the course of writing for a living. which turned out ace.

in hindsight, i was gutted at the time, but it was the better gift.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The best christmas was when my aunt and uncle bought me, my brother, and my sister each a Game Boy Pocket (with included Donkey Kong Land 2) without my parents' prior knowledge b/c they wouldn't have let them otherwise (we weren't allowed to own videogames).

On that day, I became a true gamer.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gunstar wrote: »
    i asked for playstation 2 with metal gear solid 2, and my parents got me grand theft auto 3 because MGS2 looked "too violent"

...HOW IN THE NINE HELLS DOES THIS HAPPEN?!!!!

Look, I can understand a parent not getting that games are violent these days. I can understand just not giving a damn. But how the hell do you look at two games, one with a relatively abstract title, and one with THE NAME OF A CRIME for a title, and decide the more abstract one is more violent?

Though, I'll admit, 3 is less explicit about this than later titles, which had the tits and the guns and stuff on their covers.

Still, though.

As for me, my best gamer christmas was getting my first launch console; A launch PS2. Good times, those were. Grand, fantastic times.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think one of the best that I can recall is getting a PS2 for Christmas right when it came out. My mom had reserved one a year in advance because she knew they were going to be in high demand. It came with Armored Core 2...I was very, very happy. My grandpa and her even hooked it up to a big-screen TV before we woke up.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

First read: :?

realizing: O_o

Truly realizing the implication: D:

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It was Christmas 1997. My parents bought me a Costco N64 bundle which came with an N64 Diddy Kong Racing, and an extra black controller.

Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember growing up, my Mom and Dad somehow knew how to buy a good game without me specifically telling them what I wanted. I remember getting Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 2 as Christmas presents, following the year they bought themselves an NES that they got bored with and it quickly became property of my Sister and I.

Though when it came to the SNES and N64 I didn't get those until a few years after release, and then finally the Gamecube and Wii(Which I camped out for, and my Mom came at 8am to actually purchase) I actually got the years they came out. Come to think of it, the only Nintendo system I've actually spent my own money purchasing was the DS.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Arde wrote: »

First read: :?

realizing: O_o

Truly realizing the implication: D:

if you're implying MGS2 is bad, I'd have to tell you it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok ok. I have a brilliant story I just remembered.

So this is I dunno, around the time I got a Dreamcast. Me and my sister were mid teens and were actually kick ass at soul calibur.

Friends of the family come over christmas day (this is the year AFTER I got my DC the previous christmas) and they bring their children. who are not toddlers but maybe 6 or 7 i cant remember. they themselves also had a dreamcast which amazed us but hey.

so we were sent away to entertain these kids into the 'play room' which was actually just this empty store room we stuck a huge tv and a sofa into. their parents said we should play some sega with them, yeah using sega asa catch all term for gaming. those were the days.

we crack open soul calibur and proceed to go super easy on these kids cause well they are having fun just mashing buttons and watching the flash lights. they have understanding of the game and how it works, but arent taking it too seriously.

then one of them picks up the controller and throws it at the fucking window and it smashes straight through breaking it.

my father runs in and sees the window, and the controller on the other side covered in broken glass, and glares right at me, even though i was still holding my controller.

I explained what this kid did and he didnt fuckin believe me. no way could a 7 year old maliciously break our window like that. i must of course have been too excited at christmas and thrown it in anger or something. bullshit.

i was 15 at the time so i was more independent, but he still confiscated my dreamcast for the rest of the holidays, so i didnt get to play it at all over christmas. fuck.

my sister was pissed too, so we decided to plan revenge on this little brat.

the following day on boxing day (those friends had stayed over for three days) we were told to entertain the kids again, only we werent allowed the dreamcast.

so we told them the squares story.

dunno if anyone knows it. its basically a scary urban myth type scary story where a woman keeps getting phone calls all day and the voice just says 'squares squares squares' and she gets home and her husband is cut up into squares. i know it sounds shit but its all in the delivery and well, its a little creepy when done right.

we fucked the minds of these kids so bad. we got the meat pounder thing from the kitchen cause we were having steak for the lunch. its basically a big hammer with spikes on it. only ours was more of a grid type thing. you press it on your hand hard and it leaves a waffle type checker pattern.

so my sister has that pressed in her hand behind her back hard while i tell the story. i totally ham it up, and it drags on for like 5 minutes. you keep repeating squares squares squares over and over and ramp up the tension. they were young so were shit scared already by the time my sister whipped out here square emblazones hand and started screaming in pain and writhing on the floor. they fucking shit themselves and ran out of the room bellowing screams of unspeakable horror.

i feel bad about it now, cause well it properly fucked em up. they didnt sleep for a few weeks after that all over christmas and new year. but on the other hand the little shit got my dreamcast taken away over the holidays just because he lost at soul calibur, on purpose, and laughed about it afterwards.. vindictive little bastard i hope he dies.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Boy, looking back on that in hindsight.... werent you lucky your mom didnt listen?

No. No I wasn't.

VF > Watching 2girls1cup > Battle Arena Toshinden
    Sega Rally > Riiiiiiidge Raaacer
    Anything > ESPN Extreme Games

The launch titles sucked, of course. But the "famous" library is really overrated. I think the only games I wound up really playing were RE, RE2 and Syphon Filter. Sure, I've since gone back (on a new PS, of course. lolsony and their QA) and played some of the classics (MGS, FF7) but really, they are insaaanely overrated and simply can't match the Sega classics in one simple aspect: FUN.

My best Christmas was definitely wandering into the dining room and seeing a computer set up on the table. It was a second-hand Dell with a 5.25" floppy drive in the time of shiny new CD-ROMs, but I loved it. I spent of ton of time playing Rome and The Blue and The Gray (man that game sucked, but that was the beauty of the time before teh intarnets: you didn't really know when a game sucked), and even more time trying to get them to work or play with sound. Of course later came Sim City and the Doom demo. Ah, good times.

Tzen on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember one year, I really wanted a Sega Genesis, but I had no idea what games I wanted. Well there was this really awesome independant game store near our home at the time, and he pretty much loaded up the purchase with awesome games for my Mom. Vector Man, Streets of Rage, Earth Worm Jim, Ristar, this guy hooked the console up with some sweet titles. I got that along with a N64 and Waverace for Christmas. I enjoyed that console for years. I probably played it even more than the N64, to be honest. Unfortunately, we lost it moving. :(

Then, hrm, worst. Aside from the year all I got for Christmas was a home-made necklace, probably the year I got Zelda instead of Pokemon. I was devastated. I cheered, but in my heart I was thinking "Noooo wrong game noooo." Having never played a Zelda game, I shelved it for about a year, until one day my copy of pokemon red ceased to function.

Well, I decided to plug it in and try it out, and I was pretty much glued to my Gameboy Colour until I beat it. It was the first Zelda I'd played, so I really didn't know what to expect, and I still look back on it as one of my favorite games of all time.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The mind boggles.

I remember when I got my Sega Genesis for Christmas. Huge box, came packaged with Altered Beast (and the box had some of the game scenes on it). Dad bought Sonic aside from that. Those two games alone pretty much had me stoked at being a Sega kid, as opposed to most everyone else I knew who had the Super Nintendo. I was proud to be a minority.

My mom topped that, aside from getting us a Sega Genesis to use at home the next year (seperate parents, two Sega Genesis', I know it was goofy), by getting us the Sega Channel the year after that. I fell in love with that damn thing. We've had threads here about the Sega Channel before though, and I need not say more than what I have.

Still, the most memorable Christmas was when we got the NES. Man, this was like... 1989 or 1990. I was born in '85, to give some scope on this. I still remember that day. We were at my grandmother's, and there was this freaking huge gift wrapped under the tree. I think only my two oldest brothers were aware of what it was. When we unwrapped it (we being my third brother and I) I was like, "Wow video games!" I can barely remember the box... it had the NES with a couple of controllers on it, and like a starry background. After all the gift opening was done we took the box into the living room and started to pull out the contents. My oldest brothers were more keen on being around the family but were told to help us hook it up. They got there too late though. I opened the manual to the NES, looked at the pictures, and hooked it up myself. There was much Super Mario Bros. / Duckhunt played that day.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

The mind boggles.

to make it worse, GTA3 wasn't on my list. the only game i wanted was MGS2

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh right, worst Christmas. We got Joe Montana Football '94 one year. That was it.

Well, I still played the hell out of it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Christmas that I got my NES was the best. Worst? When my aunt got me and my brothers a PS2... and I already had one. My aunt was always one of the people that got me great gifts so whenever I see her on Chritmas I know the awesome was coming. That was the only time I was dissapointed. Brothers were happy though.

The NES was the only Christmas I ever got a console. All of my other consoles (SNES, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3) were all either birthday presents or personal purchases.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does 24 still count as a child? Because my GF bought me a PS3 for Christmas last year. Yes, she is the best ever.

When I was an actual child, I never really got anything that awesome.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Best would be hands down Christmas of '98, when I got a GameBoy Color and Pokemon Blue. I played the hell out of that game, got my Squirtle to be a Blastoise by the end of the first day (granted, I had only trained him and no other Pokemon, so if he got his ass kicked I was definitively screwed.) The GBC was the first video game system that was 100% mine. I had to share the NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64 with my siblings, but the GBC was fully mine.

Fast foward to today, where I own a Wii, DS Lite, DS, GameCube, PS2, PSP, X-Box, GameBoy Advance, GBA SP, and soon a PS3. The GBC was my true introduction to games, in a sense.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I asked my parents for Mechwarrior 4 and ended up with a...model painting set.

that's my worst

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tzen wrote: »

No. No I wasn't.

VF > Watching 2girls1cup > Battle Arena Toshinden
    Sega Rally > Riiiiiiidge Raaacer
    Anything > ESPN Extreme Games

The launch titles sucked, of course. But the "famous" library is really overrated. I think the only games I wound up really playing were RE, RE2 and Syphon Filter. Sure, I've since gone back (on a new PS, of course. lolsony and their QA) and played some of the classics (MGS, FF7) but really, they are insaaanely overrated and simply can't match the Sega classics in one simple aspect: FUN.

My best Christmas was definitely wandering into the dining room and seeing a computer set up on the table. It was a second-hand Dell with a 5.25" floppy drive in the time of shiny new CD-ROMs, but I loved it. I spent of ton of time playing Rome and The Blue and The Gray (man that game sucked, but that was the beauty of the time before teh intarnets: you didn't really know when a game sucked), and even more time trying to get them to work or play with sound. Of course later came Sim City and the Doom demo. Ah, good times.

Buddy, you're all right in my book.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The SNES years were probably the best. This was before my brother got "too old" to play with his younger brother and he would own my ass at every gaming endeavor possible (Oh, how the tables have turned, James... how the tables have turned).

1992 - My mom buys us a SNES for christmas along with copies of the "SUPER ULTIMATE COOL SECRETS AND CHEATS GUIDES" or whatever the hell those 300 page monsters were called. I wake up for whatever reason at 2 in the morning and wander upstairs to find my mom and my brother playing Super Mario World in the dark.

The next year we got a stack of new games, including Turtles in Time. That Christmas morning my brother and I beat the whole thing in one sitting, which felt like a giant accomplishment at the time.

The next year we're all at my grandma's place just hanging around while mom does some shopping. I'm in the living room watching something or other when I hear my brother gasp at something, when I get to him he shoves a receipt in my face. I realize at that moment that we are in fact getting motherfucking DONKEY KONG COUNTRY for christmas... it was awesome.

As for the worst...
    December 25, 1994 - The day we were "gifted" a 32X

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    TahldonTahldon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Does 24 still count as a child? Because my GF bought me a PS3 for Christmas last year. Yes, she is the best ever.

When I was an actual child, I never really got anything that awesome.

Yeah.. My mom had this thing where she wanted me to work all the time for my stuff. It pays off now cause I know the value of hard work and all, but when I was a kid I'd be LIVID. None of my games came from presents, they were -always- bought with the money I earned doing odd jobs. I bought myself a PS3 last week.. does that count?

I only got socks, underwear, and stuff like that all the time. Except for one time when we got the super soakers with the backpacks. Anyway.. Now that I'm grown and out of the house, I STILL buy all of my own video games AND my own undergarments. So now I don't really want or need anything for Christmas.

...Well.. Except those big dinners.. I need those.. I'm small, but I'm a fatboy at heart.

Tahldon on
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Years and years ago, I refused to tell my parents what I wanted for Christmas, because I was worried that if I told anyone, that I wouldn't get my gift. Despite the fact they told me that's exactly the wrong way things worked, I stuck to my guns. Then I prayed very loudly to Jesus and Santa for Donkey Kong Country for the SNES at around 10 PM on the 24th of December. I lived in a small town when I was growing up, and the only video game seller near us was Toys R Us, about an hour away. My mom sat in the fucking snow at 4 AM, at the head of the line of about thirty other rabid parents, waiting for the last shipment of video games and toys to come in. Then she drove home, wrapped my gift, and put it under the tree, with a tag that said, "From Santa."

I love my momma.

Worst Christmas ever: When I sat outside a goddamn GameStop at 6 AM, twenty people deep in a line, waiting to buy a Wii for my little sister, knowing that the store was only going to get maybe 10 units that day. I was hoping that at least ten people in front of me would get to the front of the line and discover they'd left their wallets at home or something. Sadly, no.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If I remember correctly, one Christmas, I got Secret of Mana along with some other presents. Now the original Secret of Mana would have been enough to make any Christmas grand, but I also got a chess set as a present.

Christmas present opening was done. My dad asks me if I'd like to play a game of chess. I accept.

I opened up the chess set box and inside is a copy of Rock 'N' Roll Racing for the SNES. :D

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If I remember correctly, one Christmas, I got Secret of Mana along with some other presents. Now the original Secret of Mana would have been enough to make any Christmas grand, but I also got a chess set as a present.

Christmas present opening was done. My dad asks me if I'd like to play a game of chess. I accept.

I opened up the chess set box and inside is a copy of Rock 'N' Roll Racing for the SNES. :D

Wow, that's probably the best christmas story I've heard so far.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Best Christmas? Welllll there was the one when I was a youngster and I got an Atari 5200. That was ok, but my best gaming Christmas ever as a child was the one where I got the NES and about 4 or 5 games - and I even got the robot, biotches. I was quite sad when Gyromite was the only frickin game to use it, but whatever. At least I hate the light gun and duck hunt. I also got Kung Fu, Baseball, and one other game I believe. To top it off, we got a ton of snow right after New Year's, so my Christmas break went on *forever* and I had a new gaming system to totally get lost in. Ahh, those were the days.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dharma Bum wrote: »
    Years and years ago, I refused to tell my parents what I wanted for Christmas, because I was worried that if I told anyone, that I wouldn't get my gift. Despite the fact they told me that's exactly the wrong way things worked, I stuck to my guns. Then I prayed very loudly to Jesus and Santa for Donkey Kong Country for the SNES at around 10 PM on the 24th of December. I lived in a small town when I was growing up, and the only video game seller near us was Toys R Us, about an hour away. My mom sat in the fucking snow at 4 AM, at the head of the line of about thirty other rabid parents, waiting for the last shipment of video games and toys to come in. Then she drove home, wrapped my gift, and put it under the tree, with a tag that said, "From Santa."

I think, that very Christmas, you and I received the same gift. My parents were the best at surprising my brothers and I with pure awesome surprise gaming presents. The game systems and games were always the ones hidden behind the tree or in the case of DKC, in the tree. And we never caught onto the secret until very late in the game.
    All of my best gamer Christmases stem from the SNES. First receiving an SNES at the ripe age of 6, shortly after it came out, and I asked my parents if they had to go to an ATM to get the money. Ah, the ignorance of youth. If only it were that simple.
    Then I got Jungle Book one year for Christmas, that was actually a pretty damn good game. For some reason licensed Disney titles weren't by and large pure shit then.

The year we got a launch PS2 was crazy. We KNEW we had it, but weren't allowed to touch it or even see it in it's pure blue box. So beautiful. So new. So earth-shatteringly amazingly revolutionary graggle glomph etc. etc. And we got SSX. I was the most frustrated PS2 owner ever on Christmas day. It was not a choice I would have made for myself at the time. And much swearing and gritting of teeth was involved. But after a day of training with this, my only PS2 game, I was hooked, and tearing it the fuck up. Ever since then, regardless of how I feel about XXXTREEEEM SPORTZ titles, SSX has always held a space near and dear to me.
    Some bastard stole SSX from me my first semester of college, but left SSX3, what's up with that?

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dharma Bum wrote: »
    Worst Christmas ever: When I sat outside a goddamn GameStop at 6 AM, twenty people deep in a line, waiting to buy a Wii for my little sister, knowing that the store was only going to get maybe 10 units that day. I was hoping that at least ten people in front of me would get to the front of the line and discover they'd left their wallets at home or something. Sadly, no.

So that was this year?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christmas of 1988, I asked for and recieved a nes bundled with the power pad, and The Legend of Zelda. My friend and I stayed up all night the day after christmas to beat Zelda.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    On the Best Christmas Ever I got a Playstation and all the Crash Bandicoot games. I wanted an N64 and Yoshi's Story. Looking back, I think I lucked out, because man why the hell did I want Yoshi's Story.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christmas 1993.

Sega fucking Genesis.

I had been talking about wanting one for months, but I honestly had zero expectation of actually getting one. The only game system I owned was an NES, and that was a hand-me-down from my cousin. My parents simply didn't buy me expensive toys, and I was fine with that.

I'm surprised I didn't die when I unwrapped my Genesis. It came with Sonic 1 and had that coupon you could send away for Sonic 2.

I played Sonic 1 non-stop for the next few months or so. I was in heaven.

Close runner-up is the Christmas of '95. Funnily enough, the situation is mildly similar to that of the OP. I had asked for a Saturn, but a while before Christmas...

Mom: "Are you sure you want the Sega? The guy at Electronics Boutique said that the Playstation is way better. It looks like it has more games, too."

Me: "I will be amazingly happy with either one."

So the PSX I got. I do somewhat regret not getting the Saturn, but it's not like my PSX didn't get any use.

shyguy on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My best gaming-related childhood memory would have to be when I got Link's Awakening for the original gameboy "way back in the day" (well, I was 13 at the time but still..). I never really got anything related to gaming before or after this (had to work for it, as the parents didn't think it [gaming] a productive use of my time), but just this one time I did. I played that game all day and all night long, and loved every second of it. If just think back hard enough, I can still smell that "new-game-smell" from the lovely golden box :)

Dírhael on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Genesis.

august on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dìrhael wrote: »
    My best gaming-related childhood memory would have to be when I got Link's Awakening for the original gameboy "way back in the day" (well, I was 13 at the time but still..). I never really got anything related to gaming before or after this (had to work for it, as the parents didn't think it [gaming] a productive use of my time), but just this one time I did. I played that game all day and all night long, and loved every second of it. If just think back hard enough, I can still smell that "new-game-smell" from the lovely golden box :)

Son of a-
    I forgot all about the magical Gameboy Christmas where my brother and I got the old fatty gray gameboys (before the pockets were out, mind you), and Link's Awakening and Mario Land 2. So magical. It started a long string of events which have led me to own at least 2 of every iteration of the game boy to be made, excepting the Micro.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Then there was the year when I got Metal Gear Solid.. this was after I had spent the entire months of October and November just replaying the Pizza Hut demo of MGS over and over again. It was simply the most awesome thing to finally be allowed beyond the first few minutes of the game. Later I let someone borrow it in a momentary lapse of judgement, it was never seen again.

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    totally unexpectingly getting a SNES in 1992, and then my mother being able to snag a copy of Donkey Kong Country every year it came out.

maybe it was 1993.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Son of a-
    I forgot all about the magical Gameboy Christmas where my brother and I got the old fatty gray gameboys (before the pockets were out, mind you), and Link's Awakening and Mario Land 2. So magical. It started a long string of events which have led me to own at least 2 of every iteration of the game boy to be made, excepting the Micro.
    The original gameboy just might be my favourite gaming device ever, mostly because of all the fun me and my friends had linking them up to play Tetris against each other. Those breaks at school just went way to fast, so there was times when we'd be, well, just "a bit" late for class... :)

Dírhael on