As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

• Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, this is sort of related: What does it mean that my copy of Making Money is a signed first edition? Is that special?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    Okay, this is sort of related: What does it mean that my copy of Making Money is a signed first edition? Is that special?
    It means it's going to be ripped from your dying body by me.

Quid on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have to say, Making Money was a bit disappointing compared to Going Postal

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I have to say, Making Money was a bit disappointing compared to Going Postal

I didn't find it disappointing, I just thought it wasn't as good. Didn't make it disappointing in my eyes tho.

But yeah, Kirby's illustration's messed me up for a loooong time. I read a few of the books when I was quite a bit younger, so when I heard Twoflower as being described with four eyes and then seeing him on the cover with literally four eyes, I just thought he really had four eyes. And I also thought Rincewind was some old bugger for far too long.

Also, I think as far as a Golden Age for terry, I'd put it earlier than 1991, maybe 89 or so when Guards! Guards! came out. But I'd say it's still going. While Making Money was a little weaker than the batch of novels preceding it, and there were a few other slightly worse-off-thought-not-by-any-means-bad eggs in there, the line of books from Guards! Guards! to Making Money have been fantastic.

Which makes it even worse, because he's still writing some of his best stories even now.

:(

Duki on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    It helps that he is the author of the character of DEATH. Seriously, when I went through my existensialist phase, reading about DEATH (Reaper Man) was all I needed to snap out of it.

Yes, one day we will all die and there is nothing we can do about it. But DEATH is not Evil, he is just very very good at HIS job.

And the fact that he allways TALKS LIKE THIS. Pure genius, so simple yet so definitive. Lets you know all you need to know about DEATH, without any fuss.

Well, an the author of the character of DEATH. I'm amused that he's friends with Neil Gaiman, who wrote our other modern archetypal image of Death. I still imagine that most of the time they spent writing Good Omens arguing about which version of Death the book's would more closely model. We're lucky they didn't just give up and rip off the Castlevania interpretation.

I think their two versions of death are more similar then you'd initially think. Both aren't "evil", which is the typical interpretation of death. Both have a sense of humour about the whole thing, etc.

Starting THUD! tomorrow. One of the few I haven't read.

Has anyone mentioned the underrated Truckers trilogy yet? The first Pratchett books I read. Still great.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This cover shows how bad the artist was:
    thelightfantasticil1.jpg
    The point that must be made is that although Herrena the Henna-Haired Harridan would look quite stunning after a good bath, a heavy-duty manicure, and the pick of the leather racks in Woo Hung Ling's Oriental Exotica and Martial Aids on Heroes Street, she was currently quite sensibly dressed in light chain mail, soft boots, and a short sword. All right, maybe the boots were leather. But not black.

Couscous on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hated those covers.

Iriah on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was looking at the Men at Arms cover, and I was wondering where the heck Vimes is supposed to be.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In fairness, I always thought his Nobby was spot on. You just couldn't quite tell which one was supposed to be him.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kirby was an accomplished illustrator- some of his old magazine covers and promotional posters can be found online- and by comparison the garish mishmashes for his Discworld covers felt really out of place to me. Damn distinctive, though.

We'd talked about this in The Writer's Block, and yeah, the main thing is that Terry's being very philosophical about it. I think that man could continue to write irreverent and great fantasy works right up until a giant mechanised beetle falls from the sky and squashes his house- politely, of course- and even then he'd be kicking aside mortar and dodging metal mandibles to get to his Mac.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Those covers do have a certain spunk to them...but they are mostly pretty crappy.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I never much liked the covers, old ones or new ones. Discworld aside, compare the original Wings cover with the (IMO superior) Slovenian one.

Glal on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was looking at the Men at Arms cover, and I was wondering where the heck Vimes is supposed to be.

He's kind've tucked away to the side. He's holding a bottle and looks like a fairly heavy guy.

Yeah, I do like the newer stuff better, but Kirby's Nobby always seemed right to me. His trolls stuck in my head for a long time too, even after he'd stopped doing the covers.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually really enjoyed the first nome book, but less so the second and third. It was odd though, in my county libaries there was a decreasing number of copies of each book as the series continued. Nomes 3 (or whatever it's name is) was some sort of holy grail with two copies apparently in existance - one in a prison, and the other somewhere in the ether....
    Good books and a really imaginative look at humans from a different perspective. The cover art was the only art I enjoyed from the old illustrator, it kind of suited the feel.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    He's apparently the most stolen author in the UK :P might explain that phenomenon

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »
    He should have the Nobel Prize for Literature - would he be the first humourist to do so?

That'd be Dario Fo I belive.

And fuck, I've been saddened by this all day. Here's to you Terry, hope you have many good years and books ahead of you.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    He's apparently the most stolen author in the UK :P might explain that phenomenon

You mean they steal author's in the UK? In the US, thats called kidnapping. ;) ba-dum-bum-ching!

Anyways, as a salute to Pratchett and the hope that he still has many years of enjoyment left in him, I went out and bought Monstrous Regiment today. Should get to reading it over winter break.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

You mean they steal author's in the UK? In the US, thats called kidnapping. ;) ba-dum-bum-ching!

Anyways, as a salute to Pratchett and the hope that he still has many years of enjoyment left in him, I went out and bought Monstrous Regiment today. Should get to reading it over winter break.

I really liked Monstrous Regiment. It's pretty damn dark in places, I thought. The feminist aspects are interesting and it obviously resonated to me personally as a sort of parody of general Eastern European or specifically Balkan politics.

Me likey that book.

Duki on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I'm setting aside the books I want to read over the winter break. Because of this news, I've set aside both Good Omens and the Rincewind the Wizard omnibus I bought from the Science Fiction Book Club (these omnibi can be handy).

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Don't judge the series just on the Rincewind books, by the way. They can be really funny, but he's just not a particularly deep character. He's just a big coward, which works for humour but less so for overall quality.

Duki on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    I really liked Monstrous Regiment. It's pretty damn dark in places, I thought. The feminist aspects are interesting and it obviously resonated to me personally as a sort of parody of general Eastern European or specifically Balkan politics.

Me likey that book.

Me too. He even managed to sneak Vimes in.

And labeling things as an Abomination Unto Nuggan is a wonderful stress reliever.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't judge the series just on the Rincewind books, by the way. They can be really funny, but he's just not a particularly deep character. He's just a big coward, which works for humour but less so for overall quality.

I always like Rincewind best when he's driven into a corner, when there are things even he isn't cowardly enough to do. I think the best example of this is at the end of The Last Continent, when there's nothing left for him to do but rage against what seems to be inevitable (and Death in particular). He's a coward, but he's also a good person. Plus he came up with that great quote in Last Hero:

"We, who are about to die, don't want to."

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Oh yeah, I know that. I've already read Reaper Man and Small Gods. I got the omnibus for convenience sake and I'm going read that since it contains the first Discworld books, which I haven't read yet. I need to see where it all began.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dalboz wrote: »

Oh yeah, I know that. I've already read Reaper Man and Small Gods. I got the omnibus for convenience sake and I'm going read that since it contains the first Discworld books, which I haven't read yet. I need to see where it all began.

That also reminds me, I have started The Light Fantastic about 3 times now, still haven't finished it. Maybe I should pick it up again and see if I can get through it this time.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, as this seems a good enough thread as any, in the Wikipedia article for the Guild of Assassins it says the price on Rincewind's head is AM950,000. Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, why is it so hight?

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have a possible explanation as to why it might be.

Rincewind is, as Ridcully put it in Interesting Times, a survivor. He does everything possible to not meet Death in a professional setting. Much like with Vimes (although not as proactive), any Assassin trying to kill Rincewind will find his task nearly impossible and filled with frustration at every turn. Rincewind has survived every continent (including the 99% poisonous FourEcks), has gone over the Rim twice, and has literally been to hell and back.

AM950,000 might be a little on the low side, if you ask me.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Makes you wonder what the price on Susan Sto Helit would be

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have a super secret crush on Susan. The actress who played her in Hogfather last year was brilliant.

Tach on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Totally... she had the attitude down perfectly. They did a really good job casting that show. Except Teatime, who was all kinds of D:. They even put Terry in towards the end. Oh god, I'm going to start crying again.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there a proper order to read the Discworld series in?

Samphis on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No proper order, but it might be best to pick a "chain" and read those in order. You can read the Watch books, the Witch books, the Rincewind books, the Susan books, the Tiffany books, or you can just read the stand-alones. And now that there's more than one Moist book, you can read those too.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Reading_Order

Whoever said Night Watch was the best one... yes. Also Thud! and Reaper Man. But there is a special place in my care chip for Thief of Time, which has the Monks of History.

Quoth on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope Rincewind gets one last go around...

Ludious on
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ludious wrote: »
    I hope Rincewind gets one last go around...

I can't cite this but I am absolutely certain he said there was one more book left in the series in some interview or another. In the same interview he said it would be the last Rincewind book. And Vyolynce, that is a GREAT theory.

Rincewind has always been a favorite of mine, I mean, he is Death's hobby for bugger-all.

Also, going by the Lspace timeline he spend about a year or so (Disc time, not Dungeon Dimensions time) in the Dungeon Dimensions.
    At the end of Sourceror (which some people say is weak but I see as a fantastic way to end the Promotion by Inhumation tradition at Unseen University) after he BEAT the Sourceror.

I would also, although this is unlikely to happen, like to see more back story on the Tower of Art.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wish there were some compilations out there. Having to buy each book individually is a bit of a pain. I've always wanted to read the series, 'cause I love the games, but it's just a bother collecting them all.

Although; are the audiobooks any good? They're a tad on the expensive side on iTunes (which is par for the course, I suppose), but if they're worth listening to, that might be a viable alternative to getting the books individually. I see Nigel Planer reads Colour of Magic :O

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    oh man. i saw part of the title from the main page and i thought he was going to have been diagnosed with cancer or something, but this is way worse. he's been one of my favorite authors consistently since my childhood. one of my favorite possessions, for example, is an extremely ratty old copy of good omens that i managed to get both neil gaiman and terry p to sign.

jeeze, this sucks. i was just waiting to start the new discworld over christmas break, too

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There are hardbounds in sets of three books. There are the Death Trilogy, the Gods Trilogy, the Witch trilogy, Rincewind, and Watch.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the Witch trilogy
    By this, do you mean, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, and Lords and Ladies?

I know it's probably stupid to ask, but there was one before that (If you consider Equal Rites a Witch book), and two after them (Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The audio books are FUCKAWESOME.
    My favorite "series" of books is the night watch series, Vimes is totally the best character.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Also, as this seems a good enough thread as any, in the Wikipedia article for the Guild of Assassins it says the price on Rincewind's head is AM950,000. Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, why is it so hight?

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have a possible explanation as to why it might be.

Rincewind is, as Ridcully put it in Interesting Times, a survivor. He does everything possible to not meet Death in a professional setting. Much like with Vimes (although not as proactive), any Assassin trying to kill Rincewind will find his task nearly impossible and filled with frustration at every turn. Rincewind has survived every continent (including the 99% poisonous FourEcks), has gone over the Rim twice, and has literally been to hell and back.

AM950,000 might be a little on the low side, if you ask me.

You're basically correct. The price comes from the Assassins' Guild Yearbook and Diary 2000, one of the series of diaries which add detail and awesome Kidby illustrations to some of the institutions of the Disc. The details are:

Open Commission: Rincewind (Assistant Librarian at UU) (AM$950K). Mr Rincewind is one of nature's survivors. He seems not to be a violent man, but Assassins attempting this commission seem to find themselves the victims of unexplained accidents - falling slates, lightning strikes - or, and this is worth noting, being waylaid by Mr Rincewind's travel accessory.

The diary doesn't mention who is willing to pay, but it may be that the commission was, er, commissioned in The Colour of Magic due to his dealings with Twoflower, and the offer has never been withdrawn.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could be that the assassins are paying this out of their own pocket in the unlikely event that it happens, in the mean time weeding out overly cocky underlings / young ones who see going after Rincewind as easy money.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK