As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The man with the Golden [Chat]

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just leave those, I got a set you can use.

But you should probably bring your own shitkickers, because I don't have any small enough.

I'll get some from the folks. Probably still smell like horse apples.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    I'm not saying the entire song is the same. Just the melody of "Like the coldest winter chill" sounds very similar to the opening of the vocal line to Heart Shaped Box. After I noticed that, I just kept thinking Heart Shaped Box. It doesn't help that, in that song at least, the band sounds like a pop-ier version of Nirvana.
    They're contemporaries, and before you get it twisted, Nirvana is nothing but a more marketable version of the Pixies.
    Get what twisted? I've never heard of the Pixies before, I'll have to look into that.
    I just don't like it when Nirvana (and more specifically Curt Cobain) is credited for creating the alt-rock sound, when really it was the Pixies, but the Pixies never broke on the radio. So basically any time someone insinuates someone is influenced by Nirvana or anything like that, I knee-jerk and mention the Pixies.

I'm not pretending to know anything about the history and/or evolution of non-classical music. I'm just relating my personal reaction. It'd be like someone listening to Haydn and calling it a wussier Mozart.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I'm sort of just returning. Is Church the resident D&D retard these days? Should I preemptively just roll my eyes and laugh whenever I see a post by him?

No. He's just been through a lot, so, it's not surprising that his views on certain things will be different then what we are accustomed to.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I'm sort of just returning. Is Church the resident D&D retard these days? Should I preemptively just roll my eyes and laugh whenever I see a post by him?

Nah, the dude is just kind of weird.

We haven't had a good retard around in a while.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Church wrote: »
    I feel it should be pointed out that cruelty towards animals is a pretty good predictor of serial killers. If anyone knows Church IRL, run now.

I've treated every animal I've ever met better than any human I've ever met.

Why do you treat the animals so well if you feel like you should do whatever you want to it?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    One of you twats maek with the poasting, you're polluting the thread.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My mouth is dry,
    My face is numb.
    Fucked up and spun out in my room.
    On my own, here we go.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

If being raised in a culture with different values means I'm retarded, then apparently I am.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Who the hell are the Pixies?

Rock band that was around in the late 80s, early 90s. They were never exceedingly popular, but they have some good music and they have a strong cult following.

They're the ones that played the song that played during the credits of Fight Club. "Where Is My Mind?" is the title, BTW.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure Church is just arguing devil's advocate morality here guys

He has not constructed a moral system whereby he cares very much about animals, but neither does he go around eating people or skinning dogs while they're still alive

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    I feel it should be pointed out that cruelty towards animals is a pretty good predictor of serial killers. If anyone knows Church IRL, run now.

Why do you treat the animals so well if you feel like you should do whatever you want to it?

Because I like them better than people.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    HOLY MOTHER FUCK KAKOS HAS RETURNED

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Before you ask, I eat meat, and I kill bugs all the time.

I read that as "I eat and kill bugs all the time."

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure Church is just arguing devil's advocate morality here guys

He has not constructed a moral system whereby he cares very much about animals, but neither does he go around skinning dogs while they're still alive or eating people

Owell it made the time go by fast, its already 2 am here. :D

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sabs, a better argument would be:

If I have a slave (legally due to whatever government I live under) is it perfectly of to beat, torture, rape, and generally fuck up however much I deem needed?

I "own" the slave, so by Church's reasoning, it is prefectly reasonable.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Even if everyone was a vegetarian, we'd still have to kill animals to keep populations in check.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just leave those, I got a set you can use.

But you should probably bring your own shitkickers, because I don't have any small enough.

I'll get some from the folks. Probably still smell like horse apples.

Alright, you're ready to go.

But remember, we don't take kindly to city folk porking our cattle.

@ ELM: Dogfighting pisses me off, as does cockfighting, even though the name makes me giggle.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitory and Wonder_Hippie, I submit my flawed work for your amusement/derision:

http://boomp3.com/m/d2968a24cd55

The piano and drums are samples from the shitty notation software I use, which is why the drums especially suck ass. (no bass drum? wtf??)

Anyway, you're lucky it's late at night and I'm acting stupid, because otherwise I would never post my work in [chat] to be ridiculed.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Church's reasoning, based on his law/morality post earlier, seems to be based on a moral classification of animals rather than a legal definition

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Once again guys, it's Church...

Celeryyy I was asking about the similarities between Nirvana and The Pixies :(
    It's hard to put into words exactly...

There's the loud/quiet dynamic very prevalent (think of most major Nirvana singles, there's a non-distorted, more mellow section followed by a distortion-y heavier section -- so many follow this pattern, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Heat Shaped Box," "Come As You Are," "Lithium," probably some others -- which is also something of a hallmark of Pixies songs). You also have to consider that the Pixies and Nirvana were emerging from the era of hair rock and heavy metal, so they eschewed guitar solos, had straight-forward song writing instead of the 7-8 minute wankfests that might show up on an album, slowed the tempo down a little bit. There's also a certain looseness and sloppiness, a bit of underproduction present in both bands, that, again, was likely a conscious revision of popular over-produced trends.

I'd say that's what I'd point at. I also think if you just listen to the albums a bit, you can definitely tell that Curt was listening to a lot of the Pixies. The sounds are just very reminiscent.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Because I like them better than people.

So then why would you want it so it is legal for people to do whatever they want to animals when people aren't allowed to do that with each other, espcially when you like animals better?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

If being raised in a culture with different values means I'm retarded, then apparently I am.

If that culture is Retardonia, then yes, it does, which is what it seems like to me.

Cruelty to animals is one of those universal morals that seems to permeate all of human kind. Kill animals for food, sure, but you aren't cruel to them. Sincere belief that being cruel to animals is okay is a genuine sign of antisocial thought processes and you should probably seek help.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    @ ELM: Dogfighting pisses me off, as does cockfighting, even though the name makes me giggle.

That's just cuz you wish you had a cock to fight with, mirite?!

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guh, my Joyce final is gonna be a bitch.

Also, awesome to see some dearly missed hairiness in the thread.

Hearts and cocks, kakos

edit* Kurt Cobain said he was trying to write a Pixies song with "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Pixies are much better than Nirvana.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Rock band that was around in the late 80s, early 90s. They were never exceedingly popular, but they have some good music and they have a strong cult following.

They're the ones that played the song that played during the credits of Fight Club. "Where Is My Mind?" is the title, BTW.

Never saw Fight Club. Read Choke. I will continue to not never saw Fight Club.

--

Certain values promote certain other values. The value of not being a complete dick to other lifeforms value tends to facilitate the not being in a society full of dickish behavior value.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »

If I have a slave (legally due to whatever government I live under) is it perfectly of to beat, torture, rape, and generally fuck up however much I deem needed?

It's really late at night and its Church, why put the effort of thinking of good logic arguements?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Church is great.

He's probably also killed more people than you. So I'd watch it.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Please to explain the reason for extending human levels of respect to things which are plainly not human.

I mean, dogfighting isn't something I'm particularly cool with, but you can do with your property what you see fit, as long as it doesn't endanger others. Not really my business.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    HOLY MOTHER FUCK KAKOS HAS RETURNED

Welcome to yesterday, Sal. How ya doin', little buddy?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You are jealous that you can not partake in men's cockfighting.

Oh wait, we were talking about chicken fights weren't we?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Sure, my reasoning is that morality equates to legality. It's not like I condemned that reasoning in a recent post or anything.
    StrawmanPoster.jpg

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Oh shits! Burn!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Alright, you're ready to go.

But remember, we don't take kindly to city folk porking our cattle.

I'm not city folk, and I don't care for pork. Tastes too much like people. Also, ew, mammalian omnivores.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Please to explain the reason for extending human levels of respect to things which are plainly not human.

I mean, dogfighting isn't something I'm particularly cool with, but you can do with your property what you see fit, as long as it doesn't endanger others. Not really my business.

I wouldn't really say training dogs to be kiling machines will never have an impact on the safety of others.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitory and Wonder_Hippie, I submit my flawed work for your amusement/derision:

http://boomp3.com/m/d2968a24cd55

The piano and drums are samples from the shitty notation software I use, which is why the drums especially suck ass. (no bass drum? wtf??)

Anyway, you're lucky it's late at night and I'm acting stupid, because otherwise I would never post my work in [chat] to be ridiculed.

Who's that one guy? The one that idolizes Shatner and helped him make that Has Been album? You've got a very that-guy-I-can't-remember vibe.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It's really late at night and its Church, why put the effort of thinking of good logic arguements?

Because you're not the pinnacle of human decency that you think you are you cockbucket.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

--

Certain values promote certain other values. The value of not being a complete dick to other lifeforms value tends to facilitate the not being in a society full of dickish behavior value.

You should watch Fight Club. It's a good movie. It's better than the book. A lot better than the book. So, even if you think Palahnuik is a hack (which he is), you should still see the movie.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    I love argumentative chat threads. Thanks, cel!

20001218h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2007

You should see it. It's a really good movie. Even someone with shitty taste could probably appreciate it to some extent.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    I heard the book was crap. The movie was pretty good, though.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.