As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best online pc building company?

CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed.TejasRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Well, naturally I would build my own computer but considering I work for Schlumberger and basically am always in the field, I rarely have time to spend a whole day doing one thing. I have time to play games ever so often, but I always enjoy a good pc, I just don't have time to build it.

I'm looking for a company that designs gaming...esque computers but without the cost of dell, alienware (even though I think both dell/alienware are the same company now), etc.

Considering I pull anywhere from 30-40 hours of overtime, I'm rolling in that proverbial money that I have no idea what to do with so I've turned to finally building a new pc.

So short-best online building company for computers, namely gaming.

Crayon on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/company/service.asp

Try Cyberpower, they have really good computer prices. A friend of mine got a cheap tower from them, and loves it to death. I have no experience with them, but their prices seem fair and the quality is there too.

urahonky on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    www.ibuypower.com is the alternative to the aforementioned cyberpowerpc, but their reviews are much worse.

Take caution in both these sites, and be very careful in choosing what components you want.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So this is essentially the only company?

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah... but there are plenty of guides for building it yourself, which I think is the way to go.

Check out the H&A thread about it and this site.

Good luck.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Yeah... but there are plenty of guides for building it yourself, which I think is the way to go.

Check out the H&A thread about it and this site.

Good luck.

I generally do build my own computers, but I just don't have the time.

Crayon on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.abs.com/index.asp

Havn't heard bad things yet. Could be wrong though.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm feelin like I'm the same way. I go back to school too soon to get all the parts and build it.

But I just can't bring myself to trust a site like cyberpower completely.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    [SIZE=-1]www.ncixus.com they're a huge canadian company that recently branched out into the US just select all the parts you want as if you were building it yourself, add the "build it for me" item to your cart which is 30$ or so if i remember correctly and they'll assemble it and test it before shipping
    [/SIZE]

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [SIZE=-1]www.ncixus.com they're a huge canadian company that recently branched out into the US just select all the parts you want as if you were building it yourself, add the "build it for me" item to your cart which is 30$ or so if i remember correctly and they'll assemble it and test it before shipping
    [/SIZE]

Wow that sounds really nice actually.

Thanks for the link.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only prebuilt computer I can recommend is HP's Blackbird 002. That thing is freaking sweet. Far superior to the alienware offerings. Prepare to pay alot for it though. It is the only prebuilt I can recommend with a clear conscience that it will be a nice looking case and be upgradeable if you want to add stuff yourself.

Otherwise, have a local trusted computer shop do it. or do it yourself. It really isn't that hard.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This was probably 5 years ago, but myself and 3 of my friends all got computers built from CyberPower. They all worked flawlessly. Since then we've learned to build our own, of course, but if you don't have the time they're a good way to go.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.vigorgaming.com

That's where I bought mine. Product is excellent, cabling is neat and customer service is fantastic. They ran out of the case I was supposed to get so they called to find out which free upgrade I wanted instead. Even emailed pics and specs so that I could choose.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only prebuilt computer I can recommend is HP's Blackbird 002. That thing is freaking sweet. Far superior to the alienware offerings. Prepare to pay alot for it though. It is the only prebuilt I can recommend with a clear conscience that it will be a nice looking case and be upgradeable if you want to add stuff yourself.

Otherwise, have a local trusted computer shop do it. or do it yourself. It really isn't that hard.

The thing is gorgeous, but I don't think he worked THAT much overtime. Since DIY seems to not be an option the aforementioned sites are all pretty reliable as far as history goes.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would HEAVILY recommend steering away from Cyberpower if you don't want to deal with incompetent and thick-accented customer support. I bought my Christmas present, a new Cyberpower Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro, in Mid Sept, and I just now got it in a working state after having to go back and forth with them.

The first time it arrived, it didn't work at all straight out of the box. I plugged it in, hit power, voila, nothing. Call tech support, they had me take the thing apart, reseat the memory and video cards (wtf do they have non-pc savvy customers do? I have to pity them when tech support tells them to reseat their memory sticks and they're wondering what a memory stick looks like), concluded it was a fried board and told me to send it back. The warranty that came with it stated that I needed to ship it back as I received it, so i did, drivers/accessories/etc. I live in Florida, they're based in California, and they love the cheapest shipping money can buy. So it gets to them a week later, they take a week to work on it, they don't bother telling me A) If they got it or B) when it will be ready by or C) when they're sending it back. I had to call in for all 3 of those.

So it gets back to me the day before yesterday. I pray to random dietys to please let it work this time. I open it up and take it out. Immediately I notice.......they didn't send the discs/drivers/accessories/etc back with it. Jesus H. Christ!!!! Angrily I hook it back up, turn it on, and praise buddah, it works. So then I call them yet again to let them know I didn't get my drivers and crap, and they ask me what all was missing, like, they wanted a list of stuff from ME? I don't remember all the little pieces of crap you guys sent me, I know there was a power cable, which is sort of necessary, drivers, discs, adapters.....why don't YOU know what you sent me?

So I still haven't received said discs/etc. I imagine they sent it the cheapest method possible. Yes, the computer was very cheap, and if it had worked when I first got it, it would have been stellar. But due to their poor shipping methods and cheap choice of shipment, the computer got fried on its way over and caused all this nightmare.

On the flip side, I ordered my previous PC from Ibuypower.com when I was stationed in Osan AFB, S.Korea, and it survived the trip overseas and worked when I plugged it in. I had an issue with payment (Gee why isn't Korea on your credit card address?) and was able to work it out over the phone right away with a clear, "English is obviously my primary language" tech support lady. They were more expensive than Cyberpower, but that could easily be attributed to the cost of hardware 3 years ago.

Just giving my experiences of the two companies mentioned continuously here. I'm sure you'll hear lots of positives and negatives on both, these were mine. On a rather interesting note, my friend ordered the SAME EXACT PC as I did, except he picked Vista, the poor slob, and I picked XP. He got his 2 days before me even though we live 10 miles away from each other, and his worked right away, and he hasn't had to deal with any of this......though I'm hoping Vista murders him in his sleep.

PS: For those following the time stream between when I ordered the PC from Cyberpower and when I finally had a working pc, it took them 2 weeks to process and build my computer, 1 week for it to arrive, 1 week for it to get back to them, 1 week for them to work on it, 1 week for it to get back to me.

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My new PC came with vista, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not surprised vista buyers get their PCs quicker, i imagine most manufacturers are all geared up to sell vista machines now, with vista apps and drivers etc.

cliffski on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

The thing is gorgeous, but I don't think he worked THAT much overtime. Since DIY seems to not be an option the aforementioned sites are all pretty reliable as far as history goes.

Either its inexpensive and has issues, or you do it yourself and spend the time, or it is expensive and worth it.

I can't alter how equivalent exchange works so thats how it goes. I have a great aunt who said some really wise words that are semi-related here.

(especially when dealing with warranty issues )

"if they say there are no strings attached, there are usually chains attached"

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You might be thinking of the saying "it can be done cheap, quickly or well - you only get to pick two"

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I called Vigor gaming to ask some questions and see what they would recommend I buy, but I was immediately discouraged when they put me on hold twice to find out the difference between two cases. I' think I'll look around for other sites...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png