As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LAN problem...

RavengerRavenger TrolololoRegistered User regular
Ok, so yesterday a bunch of friends came over with their computers and we lanned em up for the night. However, we ran into millions of issues, and we only got all of the computers to join the same game once. If anybody has any idea on what might have gone wrong, please let me know =)

Computers:5
2 laptops, 3 desktops
2 with vista(both desktop), 3 with xp
one was vista 64bit, the other buisiness edition
the other xp version were :Media Center Edition(the old version),home edition, and office(buisiness?) edition
We used a 16-port router, made by a company called 3Com.
We used ethernet cables in to plug them all together, no wireless cards were used. The internet was obtained by taking an ethernet cable and pluggin it in to my main house router, and putting it into our temporary 16port router. Everybody was able to obtain an internet connection. The game that we were playing was "Age of the Empires 2:Age of Kings" here was what happened:
We patch up all of the computers, so they are all running the same version. Next, we try to create games, hoping that allthe computers can see the games, and hopefully join. Often, only some computers would be ableto see a game, and sometimes those who saw could still not join. It would time out with a "could not join game" box. The only time that we were able to get all ofthe computers to play one game was right after one of my friends fixed his internet, as well as his lan capabilities(it was blocked for some reason, I believe he had to change it from manualy input network address) Throughout the entire game, it was laggy, at some points more than others. While I realise this is most likely due to the large amount of people running around in-game (pop. cap at 200 each) if anybody thinks different, please say so. After that game, we tried to start another one, but we could never get all of the computers to see the games/join them again, no matter who hosted the game. Inthe end, the 3 xp computers lanned up and the 2 vista computers lanned up.
Anybody know what the problem might be?

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
<+Ravenger> you are talking to me
<@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
Ravenger on

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    While I don't have any specific knowledge to help you with your situation, I do have some experience with that game in particular.

It was incredibly hit or miss for me and my friends, as well. We could play any other game perfectly fine. But that one fucking game never worked right.

Shamus on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Seconded. Age of Kings was a fucking bitch.

LaCabra on
  • PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That 16 port 3Com device was probably a switch and not a router. If it was hooked up to a router then you should be fine but, just in case, I would have set static IP's for all the computers for the night. This would have also helped with network speeds while in-game. Next thing you should do is make sure all the computers are working on the same workgroup and have file and printer sharing enabled. Disable Windows firewall or any other firewall applications as well.

Primesghost on
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We did that, we even got rid of the internet cable, but they still wouldnt talk :S

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing