As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo's Next Handheld - The Crazy Speculation Thread

TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Now, we all know the DS is printing money, and is one of the fastest selling systems ever. Right now, it's apparently selling one unit in the US every 5 seconds. There's no doubting that Nintendo know exactly what they're doing with it.
It seems though, mainly in Japan, cellphone games are becoming more prominant. Unlike the shitty cellphone games we have here, they have things like Resident Evil 4, as well as a brand new Megaman title and a brand new sequel to FFIV coming out on cell phones.

Now, Nintendo's focus has always been on making game systems that are game systems, and it has paid off big time over the years, especially this generation. With the trend with cellphone games though, and phones like those possibly coming to North America by the next generation of systems, will Nintendo hop on board and give their next handheld phone functionality? If so, will it be optional? If not, will sticking with straightforward game machine strategy work again?

Discuss.
Also, feel free to speculate about what else they'll do.

TubularLuggage on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They've had those kind of phones elsewhere for at least a decade, you're fooling yourself if you think that they'd ever come to the US. That said, there's no way in hell that Nintendo will add phone functionality to thier next handheld; what part of their systems being exclusively for games has suggested otherwise? The next PSP on the other hand....

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    They've had those kind of phones elsewhere for at least a decade, you're fooling yourself if you think that they'd ever come to the US. That said, there's no way in hell that Nintendo will add phone functionality to thier next handheld; what part of their systems being exclusively for games has suggested otherwise? The next PSP on the other hand....

Nothing they've done has suggested they'll go that route. It's more a question of looking at market trends in Japan, and Nintendo wanting to keep handheld dominance.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Interesting speculation. They may take a look at the success Apple has had with the iPhone (a hardware/software company partnering with a telecommunications one), and try to do something similar. (That's assuming they even care about comparing themselves to American businesses though)

With cell-phone gaming apparently getting HUGE in Japan, it definitely seems to be one part of the games industry that Nintendo has yet to crack.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If the cellphone cracks the interface barrier that's been holding it back at game playing, Nintendo will no longer be able to keep handheld dominance with a stand-alone system.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

No.... YOU'RE fooling yourself. Do you seriously think superior phone technology will magically keep itself out of the US forever? That's just crazy. We'll get it in a few years... it's just that we're late adopters for that sort of thing. I remember 7 or 8 years ago we were saying the same thing about camera phones.

Food on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The thing is, is that phones, even those high end gaming ones, don't look like they'd have good controls for that sort of thing.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    If the cellphone cracks the interface barrier that's been holding it back at game playing, Nintendo will no longer be able to keep handheld dominance with a stand-alone system.

Bingo. If there's no way to make it happen practically, Nintendo won't jump on it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It'll be made out pf papier mache made from dollar bills.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Screw Cell phones seriously no. Please god do not let them be used outside of Japan for games. I think it's already been covered in the sales thread that Japan is going crazy. Games are just plain uncomfortable to play on a cell phone.

The next Nintendo handheld will just be a better looking DS I imagine.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I cant really see a two screens thing again. maybe one big screen thats touchable. Or maybe they will use that paper display technology where once you are done playing you just roll it up and stick it in your panties. Yeah that would be cool.

I say its time for a Game Boy with a HUD sunglass thing and you have a wireless controller that goes with it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Based on Nintendo's past history, I'm betting on an upgraded DS. Nintendo's cycle seems to be to innovate, then refine. Repeat ad nauseum. We had the NES and SNES for 2D graphics, the N64 and GameCube for 3D, and the Wii for waggle. It's more of a stretch, but with the Game Boy we had the brick and the GB Pocket for grayscale (and the GB Light, if you want to get technical), the GBC and GBA for color, and the DS for 3D/two screens/whatever.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    The thing is, is that phones, even those high end gaming ones, don't look like they'd have good controls for that sort of thing.

Are you talking only about phones you've seen in the US? Or phones you've also seen in Asia?

The reason I ask is because phones there are always a few years ahead of what we have now. For all I know, Japanese phones have already cracked the problem of bad control devices. (Maybe that explains why cell-phone gaming is so huge there now)

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    17 screens.

Edit: Seriously, I think it will be a bigger beefier DS. New features would be a joystick and probably tilt control.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

Bingo. If there's no way to make it happen practically, Nintendo won't jump on it.

I could see them getting into it though. I think they might try it honestly. They might have a brother or sister company interested in doing a combined project.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Two big touch screens.

Solves any problems for controls and it could still be a cell phone, if Nintendo were so inclined..

YardGnome on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dritz wrote: »
    Screw Cell phones seriously no. Please god do not let them be used outside of Japan for games. I think it's already been covered in the sales thread that Japan is going crazy. Games are just plain uncomfortable to play on a cell phone.

The next Nintendo handheld will just be a better looking DS I imagine.

Imagine a DS handheld that was an equally awesome cellphone.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    17 screens.

That reminds me of this one mock up picture that showed a handheld with that many screens....if only I could find the picture.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It'll look the exact same, well, maybe slightly bigger screens.

The only real difference though will be a sensor bar above the touch-screen. The plastic nub will be an IR sensor and the stylus will have tiny motion-detecting technology in it. To keep it charged it'll be connected to the DS by a thin wire.

It might sound far-fetched now, but I mean, it'll be a good long while before the DS needs replacing.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bet its the DS2, but I'm crazy like that.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If it is a gaming phone I think a way of getting around the control problem would be having something involving swiveling or folding like these two nokia phones have had:
    nokia_3250.jpgnokia_messaging_phone.jpg

Just so that you can have one set of buttons for normal phone tasks, and another suited to game-ply or something.

Or, if it's going to just be an upgraded DS, then a higher resolution screen and maybe an analogue stick if that's necessary which I'm not sure of. But if there was a higher res screen as pretty much every consecutive Nintendo handheld has had, something would have to be done to make the older DS games work on the new screen; you couldn't just have a black border around each one like the DS does for GBA games. I suppose the easiest solution would be to have a border around the outer and side edges of each screen, but have the image pushed to the middle so there's no space wasted near the hinge where the two screens meet up.

Hope that made some sense :P

cherv1 on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It seems kind of early for this, the DS Small hasn't even been released yet. Then again, didn't the micro come out after the DS? But, that was different since they were still pretending the GBA was the second pillar.

Edit: ^ Next gen gameboy is going to have 54 screens and you twist it around like a rubik's cube.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I could easily see them making two versions of the next one, one that's got a GSM cellphone in it and a slot for a SIM card, and one that's about the same size, shape, and hardware but doesn't have the cellphone crap; and require that all games work with both devices. Kinda like the iPhone and the iPodTouch are doing now.

Regardless of what they do, they'll certainly focus on the gaming interface over cellphone crap, but having cellular internet in the next big handheld could be pretty nice for stuff like internet play.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I cant really see a two screens thing again. maybe one big screen thats touchable. Or maybe they will use that paper display technology where once you are done playing you just roll it up and stick it in your panties. Yeah that would be cool.

I say its time for a Game Boy with a HUD sunglass thing and you have a wireless controller that goes with it.

Virtual Boy II?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If Nintendo did come out with a handheld with cellphone capability, how would that work over here in the US? Think about it, it would have to work with Verizon, Cingular, AT&T, etc... That would cost them an arm and a leg. IF they decided not to go with any of those carriers, I doubt people would even pay for a monthly fee when it comes to a handheld gaming console.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With the trend with cellphone games though, and phones like those possibly coming to North America by the next generation of systems, will Nintendo hop on board and give their next handheld phone functionality? If so, will it be optional?

This. If they ever go the cellphone route, I believe it will be an optional thing. Nintendo is extremely focused on its specific niche(making video games), so I'm fairly certain if they made this move, they'd ensure not to end up excluding those who only want video games and not a new cellphone.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    17 screens.

That reminds me of this one mock up picture that showed a handheld with that many screens....if only I could find the picture.

Search for the Nintendo BS.

edit:
    I'm betting on lenticular 3D OLED multi-touch screens.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Virtual Boy II?

Virtual Man.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 90% sure it will be backwards compatible with the DS, meaning it will have bare minimum 2 screens, at least one of which is touch sensitive, it will have a mic, and you will be able to close it.

I expect the DS successor to be at least as accessible as the DS too, since nintendo have had a lot of success from making high quality, accessible devices and software.

Some form of Wii-esque functionality is pretty much a dead cert. I think it will have the same hardware functionality as the motion sensing in the sixaxis controller.

It will look teh sexy, or at least the SP/lite version of it will.

Built in memory? well, it's a feature that has been hinted at since the GBA first got the play-yan (is that the right name) SD card adapter. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a gig or so of flash memory in the device, for music/video. If Nintendo decide to go down this route, my guess is that they would put an SD card slot in it somewhere too, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they are still very against the idea user putting their own data on the device. Nintendo acknowledged the R4 homebrew/piracy device recently, but I never even heard them mention the same thing for the GBA equivalent, maybe they realise that if they support some features of homebrew that there is less incentive for people to create these hardware/software hacks.
    (ie, if the DS natively played videos off an SD card, there would be less reason for a homebrew media player)

It will print money.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Two screen, clamshell design, maybe 16:9 screens, built in rumble, nunchuck/Sixaxis tilt control, and the ability to actually print currency.

bruin on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Restricted-mode execution from an SD card?

But won't the first program for it be something to break out of restricted mode?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    built in rumble
    I should have thought of this too.
    GSM wrote: »
    Restricted-mode execution from an SD card?

But won't the first program for it be something to break out of restricted mode?

I dunno, if they did it like the PS3's version of linux, isn't it impossible (lol) to hack around it? Nintendo could just restrict the hardware when running stuff from card/memory.

I am sure it theoretically could be hacked, but I think it would be pretty fucking difficult, or require hardware modification to lead to piracy, and the big deal with piracy on the DS right now is that it doesn't require hardware modification, and doesn't void the warentee (so a lot of people who might not want to risk damaging hardware are turned off the idea)

I was more suggesting that they would just allow media to be played off SD cards, since this is one of the most useful features of homebrew right now. Maybe license an SDK for small, low budget (Wii-ware) like games, but not encouraging homebrew specifically.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    If Nintendo did come out with a handheld with cellphone capability, how would that work over here in the US? Think about it, it would have to work with Verizon, Cingular, AT&T, etc... That would cost them an arm and a leg. IF they decided not to go with any of those carriers, I doubt people would even pay for a monthly fee when it comes to a handheld gaming console.

Yes, even if they get over the technology problems, there's still infrastructure problems which would make it near impossible to implelent worldwide, without selling their souls to a half dozen different carriers

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I think the big draw for cellphone games has to be more the buy when and how you wish right from your phone, download to your phone, and play. I think if Nintendo can incorporate good memory into their next handheld and come up with a good digital distribution method (lets think instead of Wifi) we can go the rought of mobile broadband. Mobile broadband is taking off in the US (think Sprint's PowerVision and upcomming mobile broadband services). Now then, lets say they have the handheld, they stuff it with 5gb of internal flash memory, its a great game console, and by making deals with wireless providers (say a precentage of the games downloaded through their network) you can be anywhere) download mobile content, check your mail, maybe browse the web (lets make this an opera type browser, mail checking through the browser) and you have something. I think you have pretty much everything but a cellphone...

heck , it may be possible to route some VoIP through such a device.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really do think it'll be another two screen deal. The clam shell design is literally what sold me on the DS, and it's such a good design choice for a handheld. I throw that shit in my bag and never worry. I snap it closed and it stays 'awake' for hours. Hell, I rarely turn the thing off completely, I'll just close it and plug it in for a few hours.

PSP is awesome, but I want something I can close. It's very satisfying.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nintendo's next handheld will be another color of the DS ... maybe the DQIX version.

The next handheld aside from color will be a DSLite with some minor changes, but just enough so that you have to get one (because it's so awesome) but you'll also have to buy new carrying cases, stylii, screen protectors, headphones, etc ...

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    RedShell wrote: »
    I really do think it'll be another two screen deal. The clam shell design is literally what sold me on the DS, and it's such a good design choice for a handheld. I throw that shit in my bag and never worry. I snap it closed and it stays 'awake' for hours. Hell, I rarely turn the thing off completely, I'll just close it and plug it in for a few hours.

PSP is awesome, but I want something I can close. It's very satisfying.

A clamshell design also protects the screens from being scratched or damaged more severely than that, something that Sony should have taken into account when making the PSP, I feel.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!