As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Various publications' GOTY 2007 lists

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Orange Box counts as one game.

Compilations and collections come out all of the time. Hell, we don't seperate Halo into a seperate single player and multipler game, even though the two sides of the game have a HUGE disconect between them story wise and object wise. At least 4 of the five games in the Orange Box take place within the same continuity.

We may not be used to having compilations with multiple FULL games in them, but that doesn't stop the Orange Box from being one.

Evander on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    how in the holy hell did halo 3 beat out portal in "Best innovation," fuck that noise

lists are retarded and so is anyone that dosn't agree with my list that i wont even bother posting here, you all fail.

Barcardi on
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

That's because the list only includes exciting new games instead of boring rehashes. It might make some list somewhere if there weren't three better FPS launched this half of the year.

Hell, what surprises me the most on some of these lists is the fact that Bioshock managed to crawl out of the summer and be remembered after the absolute tidal wave of good titles in Q4. My personal game of the year wouldn't be Bioshock, but I can at least understand why some people might go that way.

My pet theory is that bioshock is so overated because it came out so much earlier. None of the other GoTY contenders were out yet, so there was nothing to measure it against, so way too many people gave it unrealistically high ratings (10s). Then come mid-november, everything else came out and they didn't have enough time to give all the other games, so they might have only played half of the other AAA games, and thus didn't have a chance to give them the attention bioshock recived. That's why it way too premature to start crowning Goty at this point

EDIT: and who trust's X-play (G4) for anything game related anyway

Man, the BioShock backlash is annoying.

BioShock isn't overrated; it is just that good.

Folks keep calling it overrated because by now they have beaten it once or twice, so it is not the game that they are CURRENTLY in love with, meanwhile Mass Effect, and Mario, and Rock Band are all new enough that folks are STILL working their way through them.

Bioshock delivered an amazing experience. Sure, it had flaws, like ANY other game out there, but what it did right it did so amazingly right that it truely deserves the praise it gets.

This is a game, by the way, that was expected by everyone to slip under the radar, have shit poor sales, and fade into obscurity. At the last moment folks started playing the demo, and then the reviews started coming out, and word of mouth happened, and the game blew up.

We sit here in an isolated gaming community on the web, so it is easy for us to forget that, while a certain game may be very well known to us, the majority of the gaming population may have never heard of it. BioShock may have been overhyped across gaming forums, but in the real world, it was under hyped, if anything.

Evander on
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm glad not every publication is slobbering over Halo3's knob.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Halo and I had it first day.
    Yet when I went to play it I was like "Oh look hey Halo again"

When I went and got Bioshock and Call of Duty 4 I literally said "Holy shit this is amazing".

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So...Wired is the only one with Rock Band in the #1 spot...

Wired has the only list that matters.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007
    Thumbs up for the praise for Pac-Man: Championship Edition. Forget The Orange Box, at a mere $10, Pac-Man:CE is the gaming deal of the year.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with an XBLA game being listed as "Downloadable Content".

I mean, regardless of the way it gets in your console, it's a game, not a new outfit.

Evander on
    edited December 2007

Steel Battalion for Game of the Decade.

Evander on
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »

I see what you're trying to do, but I actually have no problem with your opinion. If you feel that Steel Battalion is the Game of the Decade, so be it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »
    how in the holy hell did halo 3 beat out portal in "Best innovation," fuck that noise

lists are retarded and so is anyone that dosn't agree with my list that i wont even bother posting here, you all fail.

I bet Forge has a lot to do with that. Not that I agree, but when Halo 3 came out, people were quite blown away by it.

Dagrabbit on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Docabar wrote: »
    TF2, Portal, and H-L2 ep. 2 should be eligible, not The Orange Box.

These three together or separate? I think even with HL2 and episode 1 removed it would still be a strong contender, hell Portal on its own is a Game of the Year in my mind.

Seperate. My complaint isn't that it doesn't deserve to be on any lists, it's that it shouldn't even be a contender because it's not a video game, it's a collection of video games.
    Halo 3 single player and halo 3 multiplayer should also be separate games, then.

Halo 3 single player and Halo 3 multiplayer aren't video games, Halo 3 is a video game. Do you see what I'm saying? I mean these lists, in my opinion, shouldn't be what Scarab said - the best purchases of the year. It's "game of the year". The games in The Orange Box are entirely different products except for H-L2 and the 2 episodes.
    Basticle wrote: »
    so Edge is suposedly very respected. yet Halo 3 somehow beat out Portal for "most inovation" ???

man, what?

Where I found the list (forum, not the magazine itself), it wasn't any more specific than that, but I think they likely gave it to Halo 3 for saved films. Which I totally endorse.

Best Innovation: Quake1!

(yeah yeah, on console).

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited December 2007

I see what you're trying to do, but I actually have no problem with your opinion. If you feel that Steel Battalion is the Game of the Decade, so be it.

Never played it, actually.

I've been curious what it played like, but I don't know anyone who owns it.

Evander on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    X-Play wrote:
    * Game of the Year - BioShock
    * Most Original Game - Portal
    * Best Gameplay Innovation - Assassin’s Creed (free-running/climbing)
    * Best Multiplayer Game - Rock Band
    * Best Action/Adventure Game - Super Mario Galaxy
    * Best Sports Game - Forza Motorsport 2
    * Best Shooter - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    * Best Role Playing Game - Mass Effect
    * Best New Character - Portal (GLaDOS)
    * Best Art Direction - BioShock
    * Best Animation - Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    * Best Writing/Story - BioShock
    * Best Original Soundtrack - BioShock
    * Best Sound Design - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    * Best Downloadable Content - Pac-Man Championship Edition (XBLA)
    * Best Strategy Game - Supreme Commander
    Another Halo-free list :|
    We watched this episode off the Tivo earlier tonight, and Halo got a bunch of mentions, just not any wins. IIRC, it was listed in Soundtrack, Gameplay Innovation (for the camera, etc), Multiplayer, Shooter, and GOTY.
    (I'd list off all the nominations for everything else too, but I wasn't paying *that* close of attention. I'm surprised I remember the Halo ones at all.)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only played bioshock demo, but come on, how did Mario Galaxy not win best original soundtrack?

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited December 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I only played bioshock demo, but come on, how did Mario Galaxy not win best original soundtrack?

Because Mass Effect also came out this year.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007

Because it is not the best original soundtrack.

Sure, it is a wonderful nostaligia filled ride for those of us who've been playing Mario for years.

But it is not something that the uninitiated would want to sit down and listen to.

Evander on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nostalgia? The only music in that game that immediately hit me and said screamed in my ear "NOSTALGIA BITCH! DO YOU HAVE IT?!" was Sweet Sweet Galaxy. The rest was 100% pure orchestrated new awesome.

Bioshock's most memorable music was from the licensed stuff. I don't even recall much of its original score.

Zxerol on
    edited December 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Nostalgia? The only music in that game that immediately hit me and said screamed in my ear "NOSTALGIA BITCH! DO YOU HAVE IT?!" was Sweet Sweet Galaxy. The rest was 100% pure orchestrated new awesome.

Admittedly, I don't own the game, and haven't played through the whole thing, but every time I pick up the copy at my store whatever I hear is lifted from SMB1, or SMB3, or SMW, or some other Mario source.

Not saying it isn't good, just that it is not quite the same thing for everyone.

Evander on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

These three together or separate? I think even with HL2 and episode 1 removed it would still be a strong contender, hell Portal on its own is a Game of the Year in my mind.

Seperate. My complaint isn't that it doesn't deserve to be on any lists, it's that it shouldn't even be a contender because it's not a video game, it's a collection of video games.
    Halo 3 single player and halo 3 multiplayer should also be separate games, then.

Halo 3 single player and Halo 3 multiplayer aren't video games, Halo 3 is a video game. Do you see what I'm saying? I mean these lists, in my opinion, shouldn't be what Scarab said - the best purchases of the year. It's "game of the year". The games in The Orange Box are entirely different products except for H-L2 and the 2 episodes.

They're all one single product for the 360.

Right, what I'm saying is GOTY shouldn't be about products, it should be about games. Hence the name.

bruin on
    edited December 2007

Right, what I'm saying is GOTY shouldn't be about products, it should be about games. Hence the name.

So we should break Wario Ware down into its componant pieces?

As was said before, Halo 3 single Player and Halo 3 multiplayer may share some models and textures, but they are essentially two different games. Should they be considered seperately?

Evander on
    edited December 2007

As was said before, Halo 3 single Player and Halo 3 multiplayer may share some models and textures, but they are essentially two different games. Should they be considered seperately?

You don't see the difference between Halo 3 campaign + Halo 3 multiplayer and H-L2 + episodes 1 and 2 + Portal + TF2?

Am I going fuckin' crazy here?

bruin on
    edited December 2007
    You don't see the difference between Halo 3 campaign + Halo 3 multiplayer and H-L2 + episodes 1 and 2 + Portal + TF2?

That's not a very good argument.

Halo 3 and the Halo 3 multiplayer may share some elements, but story wise, objective wise, and tactics wise they are completely unrelated.

HL2 and eps 1&2 are closer related than the Halo SP and MP.

I'd love the hear the REASONING behind why you disagree, though.

Evander on
    edited December 2007
    I don't know, it just seems so obvious to me I don't even know how good of a job I can do explaining it. Other than Half-Life 2 and the 2 episodes, they're just entirely different games. Like if they weren't packaged together you would have no reason to lump them together except that they're all Valve games that run on the Source engine. You couldn't say that about Halo 3 if the two parts of it were sold seperately. Halo 3 campaign and multiplayer have the same controls, graphics, sound effects, characters, setting, vehicles, weapons, etc., The Orange Box games do not.

Maybe I'm just crazy though

bruin on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin, while I don't care about the situation as much as you do, you are right in your reasoning no doubt.

edit - you can buy teh contents of the orange box separately on PC right?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited December 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    bruin, while I don't care about the situation as much as you do, you are right in your reasoning no doubt.

I've probably come off as caring more about it than I do. It's a point I will, obviously, argue, but it's not a big deal. I mean it's a video game forum, a lot of what we do is argue about things that don't really matter.

And yes, you can buy them separately on PC.

bruin on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Variable wrote: »

I've probably come off as caring more about it than I do. It's a point I will, obviously, argue, but it's not a big deal. I mean it's a video game forum, a lot of what we do is argue about things that don't really matter.

And yes, you can buy them separately on PC.

that about seals the deal then.

and I didn't mean you were going nuts or anything :D.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As far as the Orange Box discussion goes, I'd like to point out that the reason we're even having this discussion is because Valve runs Steam, and ever since they started doing that, they've balkanized the shit out of their products. When HL2 launched, Deathmatch was considered a separate component. And the only reason it was separate was because Valve had a new delivery method and were going to use it. Since then, small, focused releases have been the M.O. for Valve, and that has carried through to their current development.

I can't say for sure, of course, because Valve is truly in a unique position in the industry, but I'd be willing to hypothesize that if any other company developed the games included in the Orange Box, they would have been all part of a single unified package, with more unified visuals and more consistent coherency between the various parts. The games in the Orange Box are so different because they're a product of the development methodology at Valve.

To echo previous sentiments, if Microsoft made the Orange Box, Portal would have been a level within the larger game, and TF2 would be a gametype in the multiplayer, and wouldn't look different than everything else. Conversely, if Valve made Halo 3, they'd be selling the multiplayer separately, because that's how they sell games.

Valernos on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Bioshock's original score is great and worth listening to in its own right, but it really excels as tense in-game cues and atmosphere. And it's a damn shame there isn't a soundtrack CD with all the period music on it. Some great songs in this game.

Tiemler on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Since Orange Box is being sold as one product for the 360, I feel it should be listed as one game for the 360

For the PC, I think the games themselves should be listed since they can in fact be bought seperately (though really why you'd want to is a mystery, the Orange Box is an amazing value)

Also I am pleased with the presence of Bioshock on the majority of these lists

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm quite sure Maxim don't even play the games they review. They're about as reliable as Famitsu.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

Super Mario Galaxy's original score is great and worth listening to in its own right, but it really excels as tense in-game cues and atmosphere. And it's a damn shame there isn't a soundtrack CD with all the period music on it. Some great songs in this game.

Fix'd for the real truth.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Huh, Time had the most accurate list in my esteemed opinion. Colour me suprised.

Leitner on
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Leitner wrote: »
    Huh, Time had the most accurate list in my esteemed opinion. Colour me suprised.

So you consider Halo 3 to be GOTY?

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    GUTS wrote: »

Most certainly. It was a really fantastic game with, forge, camera, excellent matchmaking, and near infinite customisation choices in gametype that'll offer replayability for a long time to come. Funnest multiplayer (and my extention gaming) I've had all year.

Leitner on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry, we don't allow for opinions here.

Edit - This was, of course, sarcasm.

Henroid on
    edited December 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Since Orange Box is being sold as one product for the 360, I feel it should be listed as one game for the 360

For the PC, I think the games themselves should be listed since they can in fact be bought seperately (though really why you'd want to is a mystery, the Orange Box is an amazing value)

Also I am pleased with the presence of Bioshock on the majority of these lists

^This

Also, it is worth mentioning that Orange Box componants are available seperately ONLY over Steam.

Any way that you are possibly going to be buying a single copy, including directly from Valve themselves via mail or whatever, you are going to be buying the complete package.

Evander on
  • GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    GUTS wrote: »

Most certainly. It was a really fantastic game with, forge, camera, excellent matchmaking, and near infinite customisation choices in gametype that'll offer replayability for a long time to come. Funnest multiplayer (and my extention gaming) I've had all year.

Fair enough, althrough i disagree, but these things are so subjective there is no point in having much of a debate over them. Personally, i would give it to Bioshock, Orange box or even COD4, as i think they offer the best Sp, and TF2 and COD4 offer the better multiplayer experience

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Super Mario Galaxy's original score is great and worth listening to in its own right, but it really excels as tense in-game cues and atmosphere. And it's a damn shame there isn't a soundtrack CD with all the period music on it. Some great songs in this game.

When showing off what game music can be like to a good friend the other day, I went straight for Halo and BioShock music. She was suitably impressed.
    I can't quite imagine Mario would have the same impact.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

As was said before, Halo 3 Single Player and Halo 3 multiplayer may share some models and textures, but they are essentially two different games. Should they be considered seperately?

Yes because you refuse to admin that Orange box should be considered on an GOTY list as one product, which makes no sense.

Lothars on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree with him. If King's Quest came out with a new collection this year of all of them, would it be considered one game?

edit: Orange Box is a collection of games, not 1 game. It's 1 product.
    edit2: It isn't particularly a big deal to me though. I just think a collection isn't a game.

shadowane on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

When showing off what game music can be like to a good friend the other day, I went straight for Halo and BioShock music. She was suitably impressed.
    I can't quite imagine Mario would have the same impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jmY-0hwV_w Yeah, it really can.

It's not going to sound the same as BioShock and Halo (i.e. you won't take it as "serious" music because it's so lighthearted), but it's fucking fantastic lighthearted music.

I'm actually listening to the SMG soundtrack right now at work as background music ... and it's not even a decent recording of it either (it's analog off the inputs so it sounds like tinny crap, but it's still great music).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg