As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Love of technology + love of reading

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
I like writing, so granted, I also like reading. The funny thing is, I don't seem to do it a whole lot. Lately, though, I've had my eye on the Amazon Kindle, an electronic book reader. The price is not a deterrent to me, and I'm hoping it can rekindle (boy, am I witty) my love for reading by adding my love for technological gadgets.

Opinions?

Toldo on

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd wait on this, to be honest. I love the idea of a dedicated eBook reader, but the Kindle is so lacking. Between the complete lack of lighting and Amazon requiring you to pay them (99 cents per ebook) for content you already own to be transferred to the Kindle, it's just not worth the price, even if you don't mind spending that much. I'd wait until someone else has an eBook reader out that is a little more open to it's users.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    DunbarDunbar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Amazon requiring you to pay them (99 cents per ebook) for content you already own to be transferred to the Kindle

This actually isn't true. Amazon lets you convert files for the kindle for free, it's 10 cents if you want that file then transfered to the kindle by the sprint wireless. It's free if you use the old fashioned hard connection (the file is sent to an email address rather than the kindle).

Dunbar on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Dunbar wrote: »
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Amazon requiring you to pay them (99 cents per ebook) for content you already own to be transferred to the Kindle

This actually isn't true. Amazon lets you convert files for the kindle for free, it's 10 cents if you want that file then transfered to the kindle by the sprint wireless. It's free if you use the old fashioned hard connection (the file is sent to an email address rather than the kindle).

Er, we're both wrong, kind of. It isn't what I said it was (I don't know where the hell I got that), but Amazon doesn't let you transfer your ebooks for free. You have to add Amazon DRM to your files using a series of not-amazon-provided Python scripts.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So there are no positive aspects to this thing? Sad day.

Toldo on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What about the alternative, which is a Sony I believe

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why limit yourself to the Kindle? There's other ebook readers out on the market, some of which are much better than the Kindle or the Sony Reader.

Some notable ones:

irexproductjpg600vk1.jpg

iRex's iLliad's ebook reader. It's $700, which puts it out of the league of the Sony but close to the Kindle. Unlike the Kindle, it's Linux based, can sync your computer via WiFi, read all sorts of files (PDFs and mobibooks included) without conversion or fees, and actually has a touchscreen built into its 8" display for writing your own notes!

spmp00000054vm1.gif

Hanlin eReader V3. This ebook reader doesn't match up in specs compared to the iLliad (6" display, no wifi, no touchscreen), but can read all sorts of text and image files. It's also alot cheaper ($329), but since they're based in China, there might be concerns about support issues.

bigewreaderzx3.jpg

eBookwise ebook reader. This isn't a eInk based reader, but uses a backlit passive monochrome display. The nice thing about this that the refresh rate is instantaneous compared to current eInk technology and is far, far cheaper ($129.95). Like the iLiad, it can read almost any text document format under the sun (except PDFs unfortunately) and last approximately 15hrs on a single charge, but doesn't have a touchscreen or wifi.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php