As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying this custom laptop - where and how?

Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like a laptop that's decent for gaming, but the only things I can find online are ones that would suck at gaming or ones which would rock but are way too expensive because they're completely over-the-top (physics cards + top-end SLI video cards + huge display, etc).

Here's all I want:

-Decent widescreen display. 15" 1680x1050 is fine.
-Processor comparable to a e6600
-Video card comparable to a 8800gt (what would that be?)
-2GB ram
-wireless internet card

I'd rather not pay for an operating system because I can get a student copy of XP really cheap, but I'm willing to suck it up and buy one (probably Vista :() with the package if I have to.

Where can I get something like this?

Marty81 on

• Options
    TurretTurret Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.falcon-nw.com/

...or is that too over the top? I wouldn't know about the graphics card, I'm not too up to date on that stuff. Really, I only know about these from Diggnation.

Turret on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MacBook Pro is pretty similar to the specs you've outlined. And you can Bootcamp!

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Turret wrote: »

...or is that too over the top? I wouldn't know about the graphics card, I'm not too up to date on that stuff. Really, I only know about these from Diggnation.

Eh, the $3000 price tag is kind of :(. I think most of that is in the display (17" 1920x1200). It looks like they only offer one type of video card (the 8700), too.

Macbook pro's are $2500 with an 8600 and poor native resolution.

I saw Dell offering a similar machine with 3GB RAM for $1275 (the only problem being, again, the video card - it only comes with an 8400gs), so I expected to be able to find what I wanted for no more than $1400 or so. Am I asking for too much here?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Turret wrote: »

Eh, the $3000 price tag is kind of :(. I think most of that is in the display (17" 1920x1200). It looks like they only offer one type of video card (the 8700), too.

Macbook pro's are $2500 with an 8600 and poor native resolution.

I saw Dell offering a similar machine with 3GB RAM for $1275 (the only problem being, again, the video card - it only comes with an 8400gs), so I expected to be able to find what I wanted for no more than $1400 or so. Am I asking for too much here?

Honestly, yes...you are asking too much. you're not going to find what you're wanting in a laptop for that kind of price. You might find one in the $2000 range from like Ibuypower or cyberpowerinc, but I personally wouldn't trust their laptops. A lot of their stuff ships DOA, which is an easy fix for a desktop, but it bitch for a laptop.

But really, 3 gigs of ram, a clean OS boot (if it's a dell especially), and an 8400 graphics card is going to pretty much run whatever you want to play. You're not going to get a laptop that churns out 50 fps in something like UT3 for cheap.

My suggestion... if you've got 1600 to spend on a laptop....

Spend 1200 on a really slick gaming pc, and spend 400 on an asus eepc laptop or a cheap gateway for your travel needs. Get the best of both worlds.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?