As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Guitar is F'd up

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought a new acoustic guitar yesterday, but there's something wrong with it. All of the strings rest too closely to the fretboard, and thus vibrate off of it when plucked. So what is the deal? I would just take it back to where I got and ask them but that is 1.5 hours away. There is a guitar shop about 20 mins away though, so should I just take it there or will that end up costing more than $20? I read something in the very brief manual about a truss rod that can be adjusted to band the neck, but it said to get a trained guitar tech to mess with that, so I don't want to risk fucking it up. Also, is there a chance this guitar is just fucked and I need to exchange it?

So yeah, any suggestions or ideas?

chuck steak on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought a new acoustic guitar yesterday, but there's something wrong with it. All of the strings rest too closely to the fretboard, and thus vibrate off of it when plucked. So what is the deal? I would just take it back to where I got and ask them but that is 1.5 hours away. There is a guitar shop about 20 mins away though, so should I just take it there or will that end up costing more than $20? I read something in the very brief manual about a truss rod that can be adjusted to band the neck, but it said to get a trained guitar tech to mess with that, so I don't want to risk fucking it up. Also, is there a chance this guitar is just fucked and I need to exchange it?

So yeah, any suggestions or ideas?

You've got it right..... you need one of the techs to adjust the rod and bend the neck, fixing the fret buzz... It shouldn't cost more than $20, but this close to the holidays it might not be a same day or even an overnight job.

Little to no chance the guitar is just fucked... What kind did you get?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Getting a guitar professionally set up to suit your playing style is something that's often overlooked.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It is a Norman. The guitar shop that is near by is in a pretty small town and I kind of doubt he would be super busy.

I just really wish that the guy at the store I bought it from would have checked this shit out. He was otherwise very helpful, but damn was I pissed at the fucker when I got home.

Thanks guys, I'll be taking it in today and hopefully rocking out by tonight.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just really wish that the guy at the store I bought it from would have checked this shit out. He was otherwise very helpful, but damn was I pissed at the fucker when I got home.

This is an unfortunate, but common, situation with guitar stores. Most of them just take the guitars out of the box and put them on the wall, rack, stand, etc. without doing any set-up work on them. Usually if you're spending more than $500 or so you can get them to do the adjustments for free. I would imagine they do it to try and get people to buy more expensive guitars, which really works out to the purchasers benefit anyway if it's something good. Something to remember is if you're going to buy a guitar they have there, whether it's on the floor or in the box, ask to play it a little before you buy it so you can find those sorts of things out.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had the opposite problem with my guitar; the action was set crazy high (5/16" or 6/16" at the 12th fret). It made it needlessly difficult to play and I had it adjusted down. No problem.

The adjustment should not cost you too much. It may be the truss rod, or it may be that the action on the guitar is simply set too low for some reason and they have to replace the saddle, which costs just a couple dollars for a plastic one and a couple dollars more for a bone saddle (if you're going to replace the saddle anyway, go with a bone saddle).

Also if you have a built-in under-saddle pickup on your guitar, make sure they sand the bottom of the saddle perfectly flat or else you'll have some strings quieter than others when you play plugged in.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Also if you have a built-in under-saddle pickup on your guitar, make sure they sand the bottom of the saddle perfectly flat or else you'll have some strings quieter than others when you play plugged in.

This.

@DrFry; I had the same problem with the one guitar I ordered from musicians friend. Crazy high action, but it is because the saddle is crazy tall and needs sanding down. I thought maybe since you're ordering online or over the phone they would do some set up work on them. I was mistaken and won't be buying anything new online again probably.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There's no pickup so no worries there. I loved how the one on the floor sounded and played so much, I wish I could have just gotten that one. Oh well, it should work out alright in the end.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's no pickup so no worries there. I loved how the one on the floor sounded and played so much, I wish I could have just gotten that one. Oh well, it should work out alright in the end.

GET THAT ONE!.... sorry, but that bears repeating... WHEN YOU PLAY A GUITAR IN A STORE THAT YOU LIKE, BUY THAT GUITAR!

If the shop won't sell it to you, go somewhere else.

edit: if it's still there, I'd take yours back and request that one.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?