As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cannot associate .indd files with Adobe InDesign CS2

Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
The title pretty much says it all.

Someone at the office needs (wants) to use Adobe Indesign to make a poster. As the only person in the office under the agre of 40, it of course falls to me to be the computer troubleshooter and general helper guy. I don't know much, but I usually can figure out how to at least work around most problems.

I've run up against a problem I can't solve though. The one computer in the office that can run InDesign has InDesign, ID CS2, and ID CS3 all installed on it at the same time. We have the licence to use CS2, but we only had the 30-day Trial version of CS3. All of the .indd files were associated with CS3, so whenever my co-worker tried to open them, she would get the pop-up asking for a registration code or whatever. To get around this, I uninstalled CS3, and figured I could just associate the file types with CS2 (they all can be opened by CS2; if I run the program I can open them from within it).

I can't do it though. If I right-click on a .indd file and choose "Open With", there's no option in the menu that pops up to use CS2. Even if I choose to browse and manually select the CS2 .exe it doesn't show up in the menu or anything.

I don't know if I can re-install CS2 or anything, because I can't find the installer anywhere. Is there anything else I can try to associate the files with CS2?

Grid System on