As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny-Arcade vs xkcd

123457»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jinnigan has a good one in his sig, but it's only great because he zoomed in on T-Rex.

Quid on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That guy in artists corner who does hijiinks ensue.... that's a good comic. He started posting it in the AC when he put the site up, and I've followed it since. Also, the roosterteeth guys started a comic about a year or so ago and it's pretty damn funny.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like Dr. McNinja. The tagline is Dr. McNinja is a doctor who is also a ninja. Now that sounds like it would be the lamest shit ever, but it's drawn with a really aggressive comic book style and the humor is not in punchlines but in the storylines. It's worth checking out.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    namelessnameless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like Dr. McNinja. The tagline is Dr. McNinja is a doctor who is also a ninja. Now that sounds like it would be the lamest shit ever, but it's drawn with a really aggressive comic book style and the humor is not in punchlines but in the storylines. It's worth checking out.
    This man speaks the truth.

Also, White Ninja Comics is great.

To summarize: I like ninja comics?

nameless on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    nameless wrote: »
    To summarize: I like ninja comics?
    This is acceptable.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Dinosaur Comics is horrible art (if you're going to copy/paste, have some good source art FFS) combined with long jokes that are rarely that knee-slapping. Just not worth it.

Though the latest comic isn't an example of this, 8-bit Theater tends to get really wordy sometimes. I'm not entirely sure where the storyline is at right now because of that -- I tend to skip the really long comics.

Satan. on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't really like comics with an actual story line. Having developed characters and a history is nice but I don't like there to be a requisite starting point.

Quid on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    I don't really like comics with an actual story line. Having developed characters and a history is nice but I don't like there to be a requisite starting point.

I think if a story-driven comic has a good "About" page this becomes a moot point. At the moment my comic, Jump Leads, doesn't have a particularly detailed About page as there are only 36 pages, but the About page sums up the entire first issue for people who just want to leap into the story (for reference, we're 11 pages into Issue 2). There is also a link on the frontpage for new readers to read the comic from the beginning, although I imagine that this will be replaced with a link to a "Beginner's Guide" at some point in the future that nicely summarizes the story - kind of like a "Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer" for webcomics.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Quid wrote: »

8-bit is really hard to jump into, as is Applegeeks. However, there are some comics that you can understand just fine jumping into yet have developed character histories. PHD Comics is pretty easy to jump into but the characters are actually developed if you read the archives.

I'm probably biased because when I decide to add a comic into my daily rotation, I read the entire archive. I like seeing the art and writing develop over time.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nice Pete is awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »

So do I. It's funny. I've never read Achewood before, and a cursory glance at the archives has ensured I will probably not do so again, but I do like this particular strip.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll agree with satan about eight bit theatre (and similar comics). It's a really decent comic, but it's hard to just get into, and it's been going so long now that it's almost impossible to get caught up on. that's what I loved about PA and PvP, I started reading them, liked them, and just browsed the archives over the course of weekends, or in the case of PA, I bought the books when they came out so I wouldn't have to use the crappy comic browser anymore

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

So do I. It's funny. I've never read Achewood before, and a cursory glance at the archives has ensured I will probably not do so again, but I do like this particular strip.

Yeah, a lot of the strips are just funny because of the character humor, not because of a particular punchline. So if you didn't get hooked off of a series of "punchline" oriented-strips, then it's hard to click.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11052007
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02062004
    Roast Beef (the cat in the second panel) and his crippling self-esteem issues:
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02182004
    Phillipe, the perpetual 5-year old:
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02272004

Doc on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Which is exactly why I didn't like the comic at first.

It was always "Uh, sure. I see that this is supposed to be the punchline... but it's not funny. Who the hell would find this funny? Whatever..."

Until I decided to just read from the beginning, and read and read... And suddenly they're all hilarious.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Huh, so that's where Cat got that 'gunny sack' line from.

---

Okay, I'll introduce a new one into the fray:

Sam & Fuzzy

It's highly storyline based (I think the last one has been going on for a year and a half, possibly longer). This week they're running sort of an aside set of strips. I know some other people out there like the strip, but I'm curious to see what new minds would think of it.

Gim on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sam and Fuzzy started off as a mediocre gag-a-day strip, and it's become a really good gag-a-day plus ninja storylines strip.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really do <3 the Order of the Stick. I really need to catch up on the ones I've missed since I haven't read them since (story Spoiler from around number 480-ish: )
    Roy died after taking the huge fall while fighting Xykon.

Tav on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have been reading xkcd from the beginning... for every good one there are 3 meh ones, which I suppose is a pretty good average.

This one, however, is genius.

chamberlain on