As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting data off a blind PC

ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's my problem: My [Dell] monitor is dead, two weeks out of warrenty.

I'm at home with the family for Christmas, and the computer here [from which I post] has a bizarre connection to its monitor, precluding simply borrowing it and plugging it in to my computer. How can I get data off my blind computer?

I have Orb installed [runs at startup] on it, but unfortunately the PC isn't set to use wireless at the moment, so it won't connect to the internet. I tried working out the keyboard strokes I'd need to turn it on, but had no luck. Any alternative ideas? I tried Microsoft Sam to see where I was going, but he's very confusing. I could get him started through using Launchy, which lets you open any program simply through typing.

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
Æthelred on

• Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can you borrow a monitor from a friend, or hook your computer up to your TV via S-Video or RCA?

Those would seem to be the two easiest options.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't really have anyone I can just borrow a monitor off, unfortunately. S-Video seems like a good idea though.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just pull the hard drive out and pop it into your parent’s computer as a slave drive. Grab whatever files you need and then put it back in the original case.

supabeast on