As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Christmas On] Holiday Easter Eggs!

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Here we talk about and or post pics of Christmas themed easter eggs in your favorite games!

My buddy and on got on this subject and while we knew that some games had Christmas easter eggs that pop up on Christmas day we couldn't actually recall which ones had them. So I decided to make this thread for everyone to share they're favorites and to enlighten me on these fancy easter eggs.

Also feel free to discuss which MMOs have the best Holiday themes.

Quick search found me this one.

Play TFC on 25th of December. A voice keeps shouting 'Merry Christmas' (all people connected to the server hear it at the same time), and it shows a funny saying. Also, grenades appear as wrapped presents!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think UT2004 had a holiday setting, in which every character now had a happy Santa hat perched on their head. Although, that could have just been a mod used by an admin with a strange sense of humor.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When you start up Tyrian 2k around Christmas time, you get the message "Christmas Detected" and an option to run in Christmas mode. All of your weapons turn into presents, candy canes and other Christmas goodies. Also, your ship has Christmas colours.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm partial to Final Fantasy XI's "Starlight Festival", where the town theme for Jueno changes into a christmas remix, and there are several christmas-themed events and quests (give presents to children) that win you a Santa hat and robe. You can also hang tree ornaments in your Mog House. It's all very festive.

Too bad there aren't many current games this year that update with a Christmas theme. I would have killed for an x-mas theme in Mario Galaxy.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My DS Lite made a different sound on Christmas when I turned it on. It sounded more jingle-y if that makes any sense.

I am not sure if it was because it was Christmas or if it was because of my birthday though.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sharpie wrote: »
    My DS Lite made a different sound on Christmas when I turned it on. It sounded more jingle-y if that makes any sense.

I am not sure if it was because it was Christmas or if it was because of my birthday though.

It changes around your birthday. Pretty cool stuff.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Sharpie wrote: »

It changes around your birthday. Pretty cool stuff.

Ah so that was the reason. :D You're right, is it pretty cool.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you play Curse of Monkey Island around christmas. The tattoo map guy wishes you merry Christmas.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Some of the Darwinians were wearing Santa hats when I was playing it. Thought it was kinda cute.

Rise of the Triad (old DOS FPS game) had some nice ones depending on holiday. Easter, Christmas and a couple other events had certain chracters wearing holiday theamed hats.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    WoW tends to have some really neat holiday stuff, especially on Christmas. Turning your mount into a reindeer is fun.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think Rise of the Triad was the first to do this I believe.

Team Fortress 2 had little Christmas hats as well as balloons and confetti for blood and gibs.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My favorite has to be Operation Flashpoint's Christmas decorated trees around the island on the 25th or so :P

Hmmm wonder if the same thing happens in ArmA...

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pretty sure Project Rub/Feel The Magic has various start up messages for your birthday and Christmas. I've not got it anymore, though, so someone else check it. NOW.

Hazz on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There was this cool CoD4 video I saw somewhere this week that added snow, christmas trees, and even changing the Helicopter into Santa on his sleigh.

Blowing him up has him drop presents.

Why isn't this theme up in the game yet (same with the Halloween video)?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There was this cool CoD4 video I saw somewhere this week that added snow, christmas trees, and even changing the Helicopter into Santa on his sleigh.

Blowing him up has him drop presents.

Why isn't this theme up in the game yet (same with the Halloween video)?

If I recall it was a PC version thing that Infinity Ward did. The only reason I could think of to not do it for 360/PS3 would be getting certification for the DLC would probably take too long.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I know MS is pretty tight assed regarding DLC, but is PS3 the same way?

It just sucks that there's an awesome theme that's clearly working now, but we'll probably have to wait until next year to play it. :(